It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Heads up UK: Devastating 100mph storm to bring 48 hours of ‘utter hell’

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+6 more 
posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 04:31 AM
link   
How's the weather Tom?

BRITAIN’S worst storm for almost three decades will bring the nation to a standstill with power cuts and traffic chaos, experts warned last night.

Hurricane-force winds of up to 100mph – strong enough to uproot trees, cause severe structural damage and tear down power lines – are expected to hit the UK on Sunday night or Monday morning.

As forecasters warned that Britain faces a “historic” storm, the Met Office issued a level-2 amber warning for strong winds along the south coast.

Met Office forecaster Helen Chivers said: “We are looking at a storm similar to the Burns Day storm in January 1990 which saw wind speeds of 92mph.”

Source

It has been a couple of years a strong storm hit the region, but weather forcast is expecting a strong one this Sunday night. So this is a heads up so you can prepare. (Not the end of the world just clean your garden and/or balcony)
That compare it with the Burns Day Storm of 1990

Burns Day Storm

What happened?

A rapidly deepening low tracked from Ireland across northern England/southern Scotland on the morning of the 25th such that by 12z the low, with a central pressure of around 950mb, was centred close to Newcastle. The highest gust from the storm was 108 mph, recorded at Aberporth in western Wales, whilst a 100m high crane in Birmingham city centre recorded a gust of 100mph. Gusts typically reached 70-80mph across the Midlands, where there is a return period of 50-100 years for gusts of this magnitude, and 80-100mph on the south coast of England. Many places had two peaks in the wind - the first associated with south-westerly winds on and just behind the cold front and the second associated with west to north-westerly winds which affected many place as the low began to move away from the UK (McCallum 1990)

Source

Here is a video about the 1990 storm

Good luck All and enjoy if you can

edit on 25-10-2013 by Dumbass because: (no reason given)

edit on 25-10-2013 by Dumbass because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 04:42 AM
link   
Bah, 'tis just but a few additional drops to a normal autumn.

Maybe my brolly will flip inside out, worst case.

CX

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 05:01 AM
link   
I'm always dubious about the "worst weather EVER" forecasts, rarely are they as predicted.

That said, i always make sure i have enough food/water in for a few weeks, and hurricane lamps and fuel for warmth and light.

Might buy an extra box of teabags.....can't get through a UK weather bashing without a cup of brown joy.....

CX.

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 05:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Biigs

forget the brolly get your kite out,just make sure it is extra heavy duty....

edit on 25-10-2013 by hopenotfeariswhatweneed because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 05:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Biigs

Try this one and you should have no problem at all

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 05:06 AM
link   
I'll say a prayer or two for them BUT..

Throughout history there have been only a handful of peoples as resilient as the English... They will endure..

Always have

Always will

+1 more 
posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 05:09 AM
link   
Ladies and Gents, make no mistake about this storms potential. I don't usually conform to reading the Express, especially regarding weather info.

To explain in "layman's" terms, a Jet Stream (pretty strong) 180mph+ is heading towards the UK and France. With the moist tropical marine air mass currently over the UK, the approaching change in air mass could create a very deep depression. I wouldn't quite go with "worse than 1990" storm but it certainly has the potential to create a bit of havoc for around 6-8 hours. Not the 48 as expressed in the Express...

The main areas at the moment that could be worst affected as the southern counties of England, especially Essex and Kent and the Channel Islands. This may never hit the UK as it could hit France.

Stay tuned to the weather forecasts as this low pressure wont show its true strength until around 12 hours out.

If it does deepen as forecast be prepared for falling trees, power cuts and flooding (possibly coastal flooding).

Us up in Scotland and the North of England wont get in on the action at the moment but it is the beginning of the winter season and if the long range forecasts are to be believed (pinch of salt at the moment) we could be in for all kinds of record breaking weather this year!

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 05:12 AM
link   
reply to post by jrmcleod

Glad to see you on board this thread Mr McLeod!
Rainbows
Jane

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 05:16 AM
link   
reply to post by jrmcleod

I agree...this is one to watch. I can feel it all the way out in the Atlantic, and it's not nice.
I almost wish I could be in the thick of it though...I love a big old storm that rattles the house!

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 05:21 AM
link   
It's never easy predicting the weather for the U.K as things change minute by minute, but this sounds like it's going to be pretty nasty if it does hit.

We shall see what Monday brings us.

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 05:24 AM
link   
I think we will miss it up here in Northern Ireland. I hope it's not as bad a predicted and not much damage is done.

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 05:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Dumbass

I have been dreaming about a bad storm for a couple of weeks now. Last night in my dream the Isle of Man was being shown on a weather map and one minute it was there and the next it wasn't, the image of the Isle kept disappearing and reappearing on the map. I will be watching out for the Isle of Man with interest during the storm.

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 05:33 AM
link   
It's down the south east, central areas won't be affected too much. We do get the odd tree falling over and unfortunately taking a life. It's those crazy cross winds along the motorways which for commuters can be cause for concern.

Sun one day, a storm another. Typical English weather. At least it's not snow (just yet). That'll bring a nice stand still to the UK.

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 05:39 AM
link   
reply to post by opuscosmos

I was gonna say anyone know where this is supposed to be hitting. Looks like its only getting up to 22mph in the west midlands according to the bbc weather website.

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 05:47 AM
link   
This is what we like to call in England:

Pub weather.

Please dont be confused with the summer time's "Pub Weather" or springs pub weather.

They are completely different

CX

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 06:07 AM
link   

hopenotfeariswhatweneed
reply to post by Biigs

forget the brolly get your kite out,just make sure it is extra heavy duty....

edit on 25-10-2013 by hopenotfeariswhatweneed because: (no reason given)

Lol thats what i did last time there was 90mph winds here in the forest.....took my traction kite and introduced it to the top of a huge oak tree!

CX.

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 06:07 AM
link   

jrmcleod
Ladies and Gents, make no mistake about this storms potential. I don't usually conform to reading the Express, especially regarding weather info.

To explain in "layman's" terms, a Jet Stream (pretty strong) 180mph+ is heading towards the UK and France. With the moist tropical marine air mass currently over the UK, the approaching change in air mass could create a very deep depression. I wouldn't quite go with "worse than 1990" storm but it certainly has the potential to create a bit of havoc for around 6-8 hours. Not the 48 as expressed in the Express...

The main areas at the moment that could be worst affected as the southern counties of England, especially Essex and Kent and the Channel Islands. This may never hit the UK as it could hit France.

Stay tuned to the weather forecasts as this low pressure wont show its true strength until around 12 hours out.

If it does deepen as forecast be prepared for falling trees, power cuts and flooding (possibly coastal flooding).

Us up in Scotland and the North of England wont get in on the action at the moment but it is the beginning of the winter season and if the long range forecasts are to be believed (pinch of salt at the moment) we could be in for all kinds of record breaking weather this year!

JRMCLEOD pleasure to see you I was a fan of your winter thread last year, I posted a thread a week a so back mentioning the UK may get some record breaking temperatures this winter. But as with you I only saw this on the express website and I know how they like to report the weather

I was hoping you can work your magic again and view the weather charts like you did

On topic .. I'm in Essex .. Will be an interesting next few days

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 06:42 AM
link   
reply to post by semperfortis

Oooh not sure, this could be the time when we finally get blown across the north sea to go hang out with Denmark. Bonus is at least then we will be further from the French!!

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 06:45 AM
link   
When I was a kid around 30 odd years back storms like this used to happen annually without causing too much devastation and they certainly did not cause the social out cry that they seem to these days. LoL

What's the deal, did we just stop building things the way we used to(Weather resistant) or have we all just turned into a nation of wusses???

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 06:55 AM
link   

JakiusFogg
reply to post by semperfortis

Oooh not sure, this could be the time when we finally get blown across the north sea to go hang out with Denmark. Bonus is at least then we will be further from the French!!

Hmmm I'd rather be blown toward Amsterdam maybe close to France bit at least in Amsterdam there are things to stop me thinking about that

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join