It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

To Arrest or Not To Arrest.... This Cop Made A Good Call.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+3 more 
posted on Oct, 23 2013 @ 10:06 AM
link   
Cop Buys Groceries for Mom Caught Shoplifting

The routine part of this shoplifting story out of Miami is that police stopped a woman trying to leave a supermarket with $300 worth of unpaid-for food. The not-so-routine part: Upon hearing that the accused was a mother of three in dire straits, the arresting officer went back in the store and shelled out $100 from her own pocket to buy the woman groceries, reports WSVN. "I made the decision to buy her some groceries because arresting her wasn't going to solve the problem with her children being hungry," says officer Vicki Thomas.

Source

Now, the officer did go ahead and charge her with a misdemeanor, so she will have to answer for her actions ,but
what a great story. There are still good people in this world, making good decisions and willing to help those in need.

posted on Oct, 23 2013 @ 10:14 AM
link   
I have to go against the majority here. I don't see the good here. Will the stealing mom really change her life over this? Or will she and many others just continue bad behavior thinking someone will bail them out.

posted on Oct, 23 2013 @ 10:16 AM
link   
reply to post by elevatedone

I'm waiting for those who bash ALL LEOs to come on here and say what this cop did was wrong and that he was aiding and abetting a criminal.

But good for him and his actions. Maybe he should go to Columbus, Ohio and teach that Dept. a lesson or two in how to deal with certain situations. After all they arrested a woman for taking change out of a wishing well. All for two dollars and some change. *Sheesh!*

posted on Oct, 23 2013 @ 10:21 AM
link   
A "good" cop story. That's refreshing and highly overdue. Thx

Edit:TDawgRex that didn't happen in Columbus. I don't think we even have a working fountain in Columbus except for the one in the middle of the Olentangy river.
edit on Wed October 23rd, 2013 by damwel because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 23 2013 @ 10:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Jefferton

Maybe, just maybe.

The woman will not do this again and seek help other ways, we just never know, but
this is a good start, IMO.

edit on 23-10-2013 by elevatedone because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 23 2013 @ 10:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Jefferton

This seems like the best possible outcome. The kids will get some food and won't be taken away to some foster parents. The mom still has to answer for her actions. No possible good would come from her spending a day or two in jail.

I am all for second chances. Now let's hope this is her wake up call to get her life back on track.

posted on Oct, 23 2013 @ 10:30 AM
link   
Things may not improve, aren't they supposed to be cutting back on food stamps soon?

posted on Oct, 23 2013 @ 10:34 AM
link   

I heard about this on the news last night...my first thought was...we need more actions of compassion and mercy; and we need more people like this (law enforcement person); what a wonderful example of kindness and caring.

I have often wished...that there was a news channel...that only reported good news...24/7.

posted on Oct, 23 2013 @ 10:38 AM
link   

caladonea

I have often wished...that there was a news channel...that only reported good news...24/7.

I wouldn't count on it. "If it bleeds, it leads" is the medias mantra.

The 700 Club tried this good news approach once, but kept inserting religion into it and their ratings plummeted. Now they're just a religious show that shows all sorts of doom and gloom...with a possible light at the end of the tunnel.

posted on Oct, 23 2013 @ 10:40 AM
link   
Must've been a rookie cop.

posted on Oct, 23 2013 @ 10:43 AM
link   

I applaud this officer. I think she made a good call. We could do with a lot more stories like this. The rest of our police forces across the country could learn something from her.

posted on Oct, 23 2013 @ 10:49 AM
link   
Imagine all the FOOD we could give to people if we weren't SPENDING it on COPS to be given WAR TOYS.

I'll bet that AR-15 in the trunk of the patrol vehicle would buy ALOT of food

posted on Oct, 23 2013 @ 10:52 AM
link   

rangerdanger

Interesting.... look what I found with just a little looking around...

"I have done similar things before, and the people I work with have also done similar things," said Thomas, a 23-year police veteran.

and

Thomas told Robles she was going to require one favor in return for the free groceries.

"The only thing I asked of her is, when she gets on her feet, that she help someone else out," the officer said. "And she said she would."

CNN

posted on Oct, 23 2013 @ 10:58 AM
link   

damwel
A "good" cop story. That's refreshing and highly overdue. Thx

Edit:TDawgRex that didn't happen in Columbus. I don't think we even have a working fountain in Columbus except for the one in the middle of the Olentangy river.
edit on Wed October 23rd, 2013 by damwel because: (no reason given)

Here's the link.

johnjayandrich.1047kissfm.com...

and another as well.

www.wbiw.com...

Ok, maybe not Columbus, but close enough.
edit on 23-10-2013 by TDawgRex because: Just a ETA

posted on Oct, 23 2013 @ 11:18 AM
link   

Jefferton
I have to go against the majority here. I don't see the good here. Will the stealing mom really change her life over this? Or will she and many others just continue bad behavior thinking someone will bail them out.

the cup is half empty for you.

posted on Oct, 23 2013 @ 11:21 AM
link   

TDawgRex
I'm waiting for those who bash ALL LEOs to come on here and say what this cop did was wrong and that he was aiding and abetting a criminal.

While I applaud the humanity, I criticize the action overall. $300 is not chump change. Giving her $100 in food is not going to change her situation. She's still dependent and apparently without the means to care for her children.

Also, everytime someone steals from a vendor, it makes higher prices for the rest of us. Simple math.

posted on Oct, 23 2013 @ 11:24 AM
link   

HanzHenry
Imagine all the FOOD we could give to people if we weren't SPENDING it on COPS to be given WAR TOYS.

I'll bet that AR-15 in the trunk of the patrol vehicle would buy ALOT of food

How much do you reckon it costs to field one US soldier in the middle east? Now that would buy a *lot* of job training, business microloans and yes ..... food.

Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach him to fish and ..... he'll glow in the dark from radiation. Well ... the story loses something in the translation.

posted on Oct, 23 2013 @ 12:41 PM
link   

Actually brought a tear to my eye.

Humanity still has such a beautiful side to it that pops its head up every now and then amongst all the horror humanity lives in.

S/F A cop, A person, A soul that the creator can be proud of creating.

posted on Oct, 23 2013 @ 12:47 PM
link   

Jefferton

Starred your post as you do bring up a valid point,

She might change she might not.

Without knowing finer details of how she and her children came into this living situation, its just assumptions we can make.

The Police officer I believe was in a much better position to make the judgement.

I want to believe that this instance of good nature and helping a person in trouble will give inspiration to this mother to change her ways if her ways were of a criminal background.

posted on Oct, 23 2013 @ 01:05 PM
link   

elevatedone

rangerdanger

Interesting.... look what I found with just a little looking around...

"I have done similar things before, and the people I work with have also done similar things," said Thomas, a 23-year police veteran.

and

Thomas told Robles she was going to require one favor in return for the free groceries.

"The only thing I asked of her is, when she gets on her feet, that she help someone else out," the officer said. "And she said she would."

CNN

1000 stars to this officer and her colleagues if true.

I will give my hand so that you extend your to another is absolutely what the world needs, a little more unity such as this.

Man I am sucker for this good will stuff, Keep wiping tears away because of the beauty displayed and reported here.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join