It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mike Duffy claims Harper told him to repay expense money!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 22 2013 @ 05:57 PM
link   

Before a stunned audience of senators and reporters in the Senate gallery, Duffy said Harper told him, in the presence of his then chief of staff Nigel Wright, it was the perception of the "base" that was important, not what Duffy said about his own innocence. After Duffy said he didn't have the money, he related, "Nigel Wright said, 'Don't worry, I'll write the cheque.'"

On Monday, Duffy's lawyer levelled bombshell allegations at the Prime Minister's Office, saying his client's living expenses were "cleared from Day 1" by the office of LeBreton, who was then Senate government leader, and when they later became controversial, Duffy was pressured to take a deal from the PMO or face removal from his seat.

Mike Duffy claims Harper told him to repay expense money!

Wow! Talk about explosive! Not minutes before down the hall in the House of Commons, Harper was once again stating that Wright took all responsibility for the $90,000 check, and when the opposition asked him who in his office knew about this, Harper deflected as usual.

Harper said that there was no trail of any kind in the PMO, yet Duffy's lawyer said yesterday that he had binders of emails and documents that show otherwise. Duffy also added that the auditors found his expenses to be in order, yet Harper insisted Duffy pay the money back.

Oooh, things are going to be hot in Ottawa this week! Accusations are flying and Canadians want to know just what is the truth and what part Harper played in all of this. This time it's moved beyond the usual exchanges. It's seriously taken on a life of its own as Duffy says Harper was conspiring in how expenses were to be handled.

Duffy and the other two senators appointed by Harper were known party fundraisers and when their expenses were examined and questioned by the auditors, that's when Harper supposedly told Duffy to pay back the $90,000. Duffy said he was intimidated to resign from the caucus immediately or be thrown out.

Senator Wallin paid back her expenses but was likewise out of the Conservative caucus.

Pundits are awash with comments about how the Harper government is in very deep doo-doo and this time it just might stick. What think you, Canadians?
edit on 22-10-2013 by aboutface because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 22 2013 @ 06:01 PM
link   
reply to post by aboutface

WOW.

Well isn't that something.

I wonder how little evil Harper is going to get out of that one. I'm SO glad Mike is throwing this guy under the bus, good for him.

Let's see how the fallout is handled.

~Tenth

posted on Oct, 22 2013 @ 06:13 PM
link   

Canada's political history is rife with corruption - and just coincidentally, government-corporate shenanigans.

'Tis a tangled web. Looking forward to the snapshots.

posted on Oct, 22 2013 @ 06:36 PM
link   
You can now listen to Mike Duffy's explosive speech
Here

Since no cameras are allowed in the senate chamber, there is only an audio version available. It is worth a listen.
edit on 22-10-2013 by aboutface because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 22 2013 @ 06:54 PM
link   
I want to believe this could go somewhere, but Harper will likely slither away from this too.

posted on Oct, 22 2013 @ 07:33 PM
link   
Mike, Mike: and what did you expect when getting in to bed with them?
All those years spent reporting on parliament hill and you figured it was all sunshine and flowers?

You were "rewarded" with a senate position I would assume not for reporting all you found out in your time on the hill. I would assume same goes for Pam.

Every politician's expenses NEEDS to go up in full public view for scrutinizing.

Cutback this public service, privatize the rest... write cheques on our backs... and lie your eyes out all the way through. How long before every Canadian is affected enough by the blatant lies and deceit, all the way throughout.
This better not end next week in the press. Will be very interesting to see how its played out in the msm, too.
So frustrating - can hardly wait to hear Rick Mercer's take on it just to get a laugh with this disgust.
edit on 22-10-2013 by ItsEvolutionBaby because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 22 2013 @ 07:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Jefferton

You may be right, because political hot potatoes usually fade after 48 hours or so, but I have a feeling Canadians will believe him less than they used to.

No matter what happens now, the Senate has sure taken a hit as well. Thing is, is it a fatal blow?

posted on Oct, 22 2013 @ 07:44 PM
link   
reply to post by ItsEvolutionBaby

Rick Mercer tweeted something like "And Harper thought Question Period was the worst part of his day."

posted on Oct, 22 2013 @ 07:59 PM
link   

aboutface
reply to post by ItsEvolutionBaby

Rick Mercer tweeted something like "And Harper thought Question Period was the worst part of his day."

Ha! Good one - he's so on, and on it. You too - thanks for the laugh.

PS
Remember this shining example of WTF was THAT-- what a face palm--
edit --- can't believe it that was the wrong video-- twas this other face palm episode-- have some water, show no concern for your "Con"-t-shirt youth member...

edit on 22-10-2013 by ItsEvolutionBaby because: wrong video!

posted on Oct, 22 2013 @ 08:02 PM
link   
It seems to me that Harper is about to getr exposed. He's going down SOON!
I've been saying for years about his alterior motives as PM.... Now it's about to show.

posted on Oct, 22 2013 @ 08:05 PM
link   
I think this will be the death blow to the senate as we Canadians know it. We should insist that the senate is represented by Elected senators not appointed by whom ever is the government. Of the day .

posted on Oct, 22 2013 @ 08:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Tbayguy

So you prefer the Senate be reformed rather than abolished? Even if it were elected, how can the political corruption be stopped?

posted on Oct, 22 2013 @ 09:30 PM
link   
the senate needs to be abolished along with harper and his band of merry men, i dont see the senate going anywhere..harper maybee..please..lol

posted on Oct, 22 2013 @ 10:07 PM
link   
reply to post by vonclod

(aboutface busies herself sprinkling fairy dust all over your post)

May your wishes come true!

posted on Oct, 23 2013 @ 09:14 AM
link   

Jefferton
I want to believe this could go somewhere, but Harper will likely slither away from this too.

I'm liberal and I don't want to see that douche around anymore but unfortunately he'll slither away as he usually does. At this point I'm starting to think Bloc Quebecois would be the better choice for us

posted on Oct, 23 2013 @ 09:21 AM
link   
problem reaction solution
I would guess:
like mulrooney there will be scandals till the next election
then no one except homophobes voting for the cons
and in with the chosen boy JT

posted on Oct, 26 2013 @ 08:50 AM
link   

So now they're all lining up (Duffy, Brazeau and ...?), and their stories are the same: they were following the rules, got singled out, Harper offered them a scapegoat deal that protects the rest of the Senate, throws them under the bus. From "We need Senate reform" straight to "Throw the people a couple of scapegoats and protect the Senate as is." No surprise.

posted on Oct, 26 2013 @ 01:07 PM
link   
reply to post by soficrow

You know, I've been kind of wondering whether the 'super strategist' himself didn't plan this all along. Appoint 3 people who are independent thinkers and who do not necessarily tow the party line, then just let them loose for a while. Ignore their self entitlement for a while and in due time things will blow up nicely. The only thing wrong with that is that Harper seems to have lost control of the scenario. He did after all stand up in the house and say he had reviewed PW's expenses and they appeared to be in order. The longer this goes on, the more he believes that people will shout to abolish the senate, and so far the polls are rising with that viewpoint, which would fit into his plan. If the cry becomes loud enough, then he will have fulfilled his election promise by abolishing it.

posted on Oct, 27 2013 @ 10:06 AM
link   

...The longer this goes on, the more he believes that people will shout to abolish the senate, and so far the polls are rising with that viewpoint, which would fit into his plan. If the cry becomes loud enough, then he will have fulfilled his election promise by abolishing it.

Ahh. Manipulate the people into reacting then convince they acted.

S& : up :

top topics

join