It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How is science NOT a religion?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 21 2013 @ 01:35 PM
link   
Science asks a question and tests the answer.

Religion states an answer and ignores the question.

posted on Oct, 21 2013 @ 01:35 PM
link   

AfterInfinity
Science asks a question and tests the answer.

Religion states an answer and ignores the question.

Wrong, I have had to answer to so many questions for my faith in Christ, how can you dumb down Religion so much?

Except that you put on a pedestal, science, as your only god.

posted on Oct, 21 2013 @ 01:43 PM
link   
reply to post by FreeMason

You think everyone just believe the LHC stuff and God particle just like that? Of course not. THOSE are working theories and that is up for criticism.

The science behind how a Vaccine works is much difference and can be repeated and i have done it personally.

I will not believe in LHC and other wild ideas until they are put to common use, like build a technology for a new propulsion system.

posted on Oct, 21 2013 @ 01:48 PM
link   

luciddream

You think everyone just believe the LHC stuff and God particle just like that? Of course not. THOSE are working theories and that is up for criticism.

The science behind how a Vaccine works is much difference and can be repeated and i have done it personally.

I will not believe in LHC and other wild ideas until they are put to common use, like build a technology for a new propulsion system.

I understand that, but do you see where I'm trying to discuss is the "beliefs" that arise from "science" usually by the laity or even by some scientists themselves. THEIR WORLD VIEW.

Your research on vaccine hardly leads you to any broad conclusions of how the Universe came into existence or works. I don't mean to shelve your scientific interest but when I describe the "hierarchy" of science in the form of Catholicism the Pope is not a biologist.

They are often mathematicians whose mathematics are so complicated almost no one understands them (Stephen Hawking) followed by Climatologists who are like their Bishops going around.

It really depends on which faith you want to examine, the militant atheists who are more adherents to Physicists and their world views.

Or the militant secularists who are more adherents to climatologists and their world views.

In this way you could say that science is not a monolithic religion like Catholicism....but a bunch of cults like Egyptian cultists were.

posted on Oct, 21 2013 @ 01:49 PM
link   

FreeMason
Wrong, I have had to answer to so many questions for my faith in Christ, how can you dumb down Religion so much?

Religion doesn't need "dumbing down". It's already there. Anything relegated to dogma is not to be trusted. And you're dumping on a system that's mathematically proven? I've said before and it's original, "Faith is a beautiful thing. Religion is dangerous".

Science isn't a god. It's an explanation of the way things work. Ways of making knowledge work.

posted on Oct, 21 2013 @ 01:50 PM
link   
There are scientists at the top of each cult, who may genuinely believe their science has given them justified world views, who lead their laity to believe that their world views are correct because of their science.

When in reality they haven't figured out diddly squat about the Universe and have no position to comment on it.

Or there are scientists who KNOW they know so little, but their laity use them anyway to perpetuate their cult beliefs about the universe.

No where is that more expressible than Global Warming, with its huge numbers of cultist worshipers.

posted on Oct, 21 2013 @ 01:53 PM
link   

intrepid

FreeMason

Religion doesn't need "dumbing down". It's already there. Anything relegated to dogma is not to be trusted. And you're dumping on a system that's mathematically proven? I've said before and it's original, "Faith is a beautiful thing. Religion is dangerous".

Science isn't a god. It's an explanation of the way things work. Ways of making knowledge work.

Science can't explain how anything works, it is at best a microbe examining the Universe through the microscope.

To even make the claim that science is an explanation of anything is just arrogant and ignorant. Mankind will not be the one to discover how the Universe works. Either God reveals that to us, or we will never know because it is FAR MORE COMPLEX than YOU can imagine.

And if you can't imagine it, then it cannot exist to you....but only to you. And believe me you can't imagine everything.

posted on Oct, 21 2013 @ 01:56 PM
link   

Uh huh. I'm out. I'm not going to debate further as there is no logic in this. Good luck without science mate. Maybe you'll get milk that isn't pasteurized.

posted on Oct, 21 2013 @ 01:57 PM
link   

I would much rather believe a scientist with college degrees, and a very good understanding of mathematics, physics, mechanics, etc.

Rather than some average pastor in a robe preaching the "truth" from a book that he has studied and interpreted over and over, with no outside criteria to look at.

posted on Oct, 21 2013 @ 02:02 PM
link   
well religion isnt defined by hierarchies either.
so the entire question makes no sense.

posted on Oct, 21 2013 @ 02:07 PM
link   
OK I said I was out but just one more thought. If you want a car with better millage would it happen with science or praying to god?

posted on Oct, 21 2013 @ 02:46 PM
link   

Biigs
You cant test regions in a test tube.

If you cant believe what you are seeing and explain fully with maths and science then you can call it what you like.

I can take any fully explained science and gather an experiment which will work out exactly as written.

Religions are referred to as faiths because you ONLY have words, nothing of any substance to test and examine for yourself.

Anthropology doesn't need test tubes, but you can use the scientific method for religion. First of all, create a hypothesis...

Let's say, as an hypothesis, that people with no moral restrictions become hedonistic.

Let's see, remove moral restrictions from one group, give moral restrictions to another group and for the control group, allow some to have moral restriction and some not.

Let's follow the yes/no paths...

Those with no moral restrictions, how do they act?

Those with moral restrictions, how do they act?

The control group, how do they act?

So question...does giving one moral restriction into the first group make them question the purpose of moral restriction? Yes, next question.

Does the questioning of the moral restriction cause them to denounce all moral restriction? Yes, put the moral restriction then into the second group. Third question..

Does the moral restrictive group desire moral restriction? No..next question, go back to step 2. Yes, then move them to group 3, because that is mixed. Next question...

Does morality become self-defined...yes, next question

Do those is group one no longer need outside moral restrictions as they have defined for themselves what a morality without restriction is? Yes. next question.

Do they act out their own moral ideas and become destructive? Yes.

Hypothesis proven. The Bible asks the same questions and proves the Scientific Method and didn't need test tubes.

posted on Oct, 21 2013 @ 02:47 PM
link   

intrepid
If you want a car with better millage would it happen with science or praying to god?

I wouldn't mind an answer to this question.

posted on Oct, 21 2013 @ 02:51 PM
link   

You don't worship science, fool. You use it as a tool to peel back the layers of reality and discover hidden "truths." Science relies on evidence (not proofs) to support tentative theories about natural phenomenon, whereas religion relies solely on faith and scripture.

The two are very different, mutually exclusive ways of looking at the world.

posted on Oct, 21 2013 @ 02:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Nacirema

"Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind." So said Albert Einstein, and his famous aphorism has been the source of endless debate between believers and non-believers wanting to claim the greatest scientist of the 20th century as their own.

www.theguardian.com...

He's right. There needs to be a commonality between these. They ARE linked in a way.

Btw, "fool?" That's not needed in any conversation here imo.

posted on Oct, 21 2013 @ 03:06 PM
link   

intrepid

intrepid
If you want a car with better millage would it happen with science or praying to god?

I wouldn't mind an answer to this question.

Do you want your car to get better milage, or get another car with better milage? A lot of people have prayed for cars and their prayers were answered. It's not the car, it's in getting said car.

How about this, suppose we prayed for gas prices to come down. Someone raised them, someone who wanted to make a profit off gas, so raise the gas, cripple the economy, slow people down so they can't go to work or the store to get food...but scientists created the gas that was then given a price, that was then raised....

There ain't no amount of physics that is going to cause the gas raiser to lower the price of gas. And no matter how much you present gas as being just chemicals mixed together, it doesn't matter to them, all they want is money.

So science can make the car, but does science give you the car?

posted on Oct, 21 2013 @ 03:35 PM
link   
reply to post by WarminIndy

My jug of milk did. See, I prayed to my jug of milk for a car, then went out and bought one. So the jug of milk granted my prayer. Crazy, right?

posted on Oct, 21 2013 @ 03:50 PM
link   

AfterInfinity

My jug of milk did. See, I prayed to my jug of milk for a car, then went out and bought one. So the jug of milk granted my prayer. Crazy, right?

As Aristotle would say...you rode your cow to the dealership? A cow has milk jugs, so in a way, yes, through the evolution of civilization, we rode our cows, then horses, then cars.

Interesting how that works out.

And since the cow was created, you in essence, prayed to the creator of the cow to get you a car. Simple and easy if you are able to look outside the box.

posted on Oct, 21 2013 @ 04:25 PM
link   

I had difficulty following your post, but I'll give a shot at responding.

As Aristotle would say...you rode your cow to the dealership? A cow has milk jugs, so in a way, yes, through the evolution of civilization, we rode our cows, then horses, then cars.

I said nothing like that. I spoke of my jug of milk that I prayed to. The cow it came from has absolutely nothing to do with the point I was making.

And since the cow was created, you in essence, prayed to the creator of the cow to get you a car. Simple and easy if you are able to look outside the box.

So when you pray to your god, you're praying to his creator? See, that doesn't work out very well, does it? Nice try though.

posted on Oct, 21 2013 @ 04:32 PM
link   

Well, since we're already on the topic of science and religion...

Where did God come from? What is he, exactly? What created him? Where is he? How did he perform the miracles he did without breaking the universe he created? What was the exact nature of his connection with Jesus? Why is his omnipotence less effective than a paraplegic with a positive attitude? How can he morally consign millions of souls to damnation before he has even created them? What was he thinking when he sent his most evil creation to Earth, the one place where Satan could exercise his power? Why did he create Lucifer when he knew the angel would turn evil? Why did he allow Satan in the Garden of Eden when he knew very well why the snake was there? Why did he put that tree in the one place Adam and Eve could reach it? Why did he create that tree to begin with? He obviously didn't need it, did he? And how did he create something he isn't capable of? Unless evil and corruption exist outside of his power? Veterinarians don't make fox traps.

Please answer these questions. And please understand that if you don't answer these questions, you'll only be proving the post I made at the top of this page.
edit on 21-10-2013 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join