It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Breaking- US Senate negotiators 'very close' to announcing a deal on debt: Report

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 16 2013 @ 11:35 AM
link   

OtherSideOfTheCoin

All of the markets though are acting like its going to be passed.

Yes... I have heard it said to pay attention to what the markets are doing...and that will usually be the outcome.

posted on Oct, 16 2013 @ 11:39 AM
link   

caladonea

OtherSideOfTheCoin

Yes... I have heard it said to pay attention to what the markets are doing...and that will usually be the outcome.

or its a ramp up so all house members can have put options on the market. declear a no vote after the market closes today and watch the market crash tommorow as all the house members walk away with a larger wallet. it can go both ways.

posted on Oct, 16 2013 @ 11:40 AM
link   
Senate leader announces bipartisan budget deal

Democratic leader Harry Reid says Senate leaders have reached a bipartisan deal to avoid default and end the government shutdown, now in its 16th day.

Reid made the announcement at the start of the Senate session on Wednesday.

The deal would reopen the government through Jan. 15 and increase the nation's borrowing authority through Feb. 7.

Reid thanked Republican leader Mitch McConnell for working out an agreement.

news.yahoo.com...

OMG, what a surprise !!!!
joking

In mu several earlier posts , i know it that they will reach deal .

edition.cnn.com...

edit on 16-10-2013 by xavi1000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 16 2013 @ 11:41 AM
link   
reply to post by xavi1000

still awaiting the house to pass the bill though

and they just went into recess.... again.

posted on Oct, 16 2013 @ 11:43 AM
link   

OtherSideOfTheCoin

still awaiting the house to pass the bill though

and they just went into recess.... again.

My post from monday

There will be no default , They will make a deal . This was a failed attempt by GOP to regain some votes and raiting.The World is too much globalised and interconnected that default on debt on biggest economy in the World will cause deep crisis and recession across the planet.The big financial ,banking players will put heavy pressure on Boehner and Obama, they will squeeze them like a orange in a juicer.

Get over it , I'm sick of this political games

posted on Oct, 16 2013 @ 11:45 AM
link   

Stormdancer777

President Obama is seeking power the Constitution has assigned to Congress. Soon, he will formally ask Congress to surrender its constitutional authority and grant him “Fast Track” Trade Promotion Authority.

www.breitbart.com...

Breitbart doesn't even live on Earth, or in reality. That is the most fear mongering, right-wing propaganda site I've ever seen. It's ten times worse than Fox News.

We should be treating Breitbart just like Before It's News on ATS.

posted on Oct, 16 2013 @ 11:46 AM
link   

Stormdancer777

President Obama is seeking power the Constitution has assigned to Congress. Soon, he will formally ask Congress to surrender its constitutional authority and grant him “Fast Track” Trade Promotion Authority.

www.breitbart.com...

I see this too. But it is soooo clear that this is happening so why is no one seeing it? It isn't a partisan thing for me. It is utter manipulation at its best (and really it isn't at its best since I've seen people manipulate far better).

I want to see the government open up just like everyone else but with zero concessions for this insurance that is hurting those who "are" financially making it. Lets just make them need the governments too though right? When does the time come for this to be discussed? I heard one guy say, "it's the law of the land" suck it up - not gonna change. So because he cannot postpone for a year those who are barely able to pay their bills will go broke until they get it together?

Why is this ok? It wouldn't hurt the needy to even stick up for those who are being made poor by this forced insurance coverage. This isn't about picking sides - it is about being decent to our neighbors.

posted on Oct, 16 2013 @ 11:47 AM
link   

Today was never really the deadline for default anyway.

The problem is that by continuing to raise the debt ceiling all they are doing is adding up more debt to pay back.

America now owes more than the whole of the EU.

Its massive debt and at some point, who knows when, its going to come back and bit America in the butt.

So sure its looking like America is safe, for now, because unless the actually start reducing this debt this problem will only repeat

posted on Oct, 16 2013 @ 11:51 AM
link   
so i guess no one minds that this bill allows a automatic debt calling increase in April unless congress votes it down and Obama signs on it (that’s not going to happen)

Obama one step closer to dictatorial power if this bill is passed! This bill is a constitutional crisis bill! Everyone and there mothers need to vote this down.

congress is handing over there power of the Purse to Obama and no one is reporting it!!!!!!!!
edit on 16-10-2013 by camaro68ss because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 16 2013 @ 11:54 AM
link   
*raises glass*

Here is to hoping that the House stands its ground and they finally let this mess settle instead of kicking that can once again.

Honestly, all you people that are just hoping that SOMETHING gets passed amuse the hell out of me. Most don't even care what it is. The fact that Obama drew another hard line to cancel the sequester cuts, which will probably show up in this new proposed bill, is just even more icing on the 50 layer cake that is ready to be crushed under its own weight.

So we go back to 2008 spending levels, rack up another 6 trillion dollars in debt before the end of his term, and all the people can pretend to be happy while their personal debt increases.

Do you not all realize that this debt, this 17 trillion dollars in debt is on our heads. Not the politicians. If government collapsed tomorrow do you think the debtors are just going to forgive it? Do you think it is going to pass without a blink?

This mentality of "as long as it doesn't happen in my lifetime" is selfish and ignorant. The fact that so many of the last generations are willing to waste up all the resources and doom the next generations to lives of poverty and damnation is tantamount to what our nation has become, to what people have become as a society.

Anyone with a brain would realize the consequences of this, whether it be now or later. Anyone with a heart and soul would take the damage now and save the future generations from the mistakes that we have made.

But most don't even care. So long as we are fat, dumb, and happy, let government do what they want. Let them use our credit cards against us until we have nothing. Less then nothing. Owed into slavery for our debts we had no part in.

What sad and pathetic excuses for Americans many people are. Exceptionalism? Not hardly.

posted on Oct, 16 2013 @ 11:57 AM
link   

caladonea

OtherSideOfTheCoin

Yep!! Mine are doing fine...wheeew~ jeeze..I didn't touch nothing..just let 'em ride. I'm glad!

posted on Oct, 16 2013 @ 12:02 PM
link   
reply to post by camaro68ss

It is a very very sad day when the government does not work the way it should anymore and no one has the balls to say it in the MSM. The Constitution is gone. The system of checks and balances is gone. The power to and for the people is gone. There is no responsibility anymore by our government and by most of those on the government subsidy payroll. Look what happened in LA when EBT went down for a few hours.

Nothing was accomplished in this but making the TP and the GOP look like those who held it up and the vote in the mid terms will show this.

At the same time, we are all supposed to just 'forget' what they have done in the last few weeks. The 'terrorism' they put forth to scare the US into hoping there would be a decision made.

Instead, they now have a checkbook and for what?

posted on Oct, 16 2013 @ 12:06 PM
link   
OSOTC:

So sure its looking like America is safe, for now...

I'm not sure 'safe' is the right word to use, inert is more accurate. It would seem that the GOP has collapsed on its convictions and its attempt to reign in America's over spenditure, whilst at the same time attacking Obama's healthcare policy.

The 'shutdown' now looks to have been all for nought, a totally redundant exercise. This was a fight the GOP (if it was actually serious in wanting to win it) should be seeing through, especially if it wants the people to believe in the strength of its convictions, but now, if the deal is made and passed by vote, they have made themselves look utterly incompetent.

Obama should not be allowed to take this climbdown as a winning result for the Democrats. It's not a winning deal. It is just a reprieve, but the problems remain, the debt will grow, and for the next three months or so, it will be ignored as if it is not a problem. It was nothing but a complete circular waste of time and some people have lost their jobs over it.

posted on Oct, 16 2013 @ 12:09 PM
link   
Great news for all of the contractors who have been stuck without pay, and won't get back pay. Congress will pay Federal employees, but those contract employees have lost three weeks worth of pay that they can never get back. Hopefully they can all get back to work on Friday.

Also great news for all of the struggling small businesses who rely on government contracts as income, as well as the employees under those small businesses.

Pretty sad that the Senate had to do the job the HoR couldn't find a way to do. Hopefully, they can work through the extra hurdles that come with funding bills which don't originate in the House, and get this thing on Obama's desk by tomorrow night.

posted on Oct, 16 2013 @ 12:09 PM
link   

Crakeur

of course there's a way to breach the ceiling and not default. There's also plenty of ways to bring our spending in line but we're relying on a group of guys that spent 5.1 million on wine glasses the day before the shutdown and 600 plus million on a website that doesn't work.

So by government standards, that paid for what about 100 wine glasses?

posted on Oct, 16 2013 @ 12:14 PM
link   
Well not much else to say.. After listening to the Republicans, and Democrats and Jay Carney, not one no one makes any damn sense, no one is talking about balancing a budget, The democrats are giving each other adda boys, the republicans are falling in line, as well and blaming the democrats to their dying breath, Jay Carney is in lala land... Here is the thing, the Federal Government is on the brink of collapse, it came down to a debt ceiling vote this time around, that just means they will pass a bill that lets them magically raise their credit borrowing balance to pay for all the corruption and bloated bills our Government has. No one is talking about the importance of fixing the government, and getting a budget passed....

Am I the only one noticing this?

Let me try explain, this in the simplist terms. The government is function paying bills etc, with a visa credit card...

They have NO money....

No one in the press cares, the stock market is surging... All in all its the elephant in the room.. LOL

Amazing... I am speechless I am done studying this, we are in a bigger problem then I thought..

The Federal government settles for a bigger credit card limit, and no discussion of a budget being passed, and I see no way in hell one ever gets passed.

Now the story will turn to Obama care, I have seen enough bullcrap, I see just more spending with that program...

The system is broken, and none of these yahoo's in DC want to focus on it, or talk about it.. Its crazy, we have just gone up a level in what they can get away with... A new low...

edit on 16-10-2013 by Bicent76 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 16 2013 @ 12:24 PM
link   
Well after all that we are back to the same agreement that was made before this all started. It is interesting that in the capitalist US where the largest and most successful companies run on debt that it is no bad for Government to do the same. The could pay of its entire debt by selling off some assets like some of its mineral rights. Just like a company could pay of its debt by selling off its assets. Of course that is just bad buiseness. You do not sell off assets that are going to make you more money down the road. And course the fact over half of our debt is owed to other parts of Goverement makes things very interesting. Also it is crazy that half of our debt came from two war and a tax cut. A tax cut that is still in place because its bad for votes to let ever expire.

posted on Oct, 16 2013 @ 12:24 PM
link   
the house is very quite, i dont think they have the votes! they wont anounce it until after the closing bell!

I'll bet you 100 ATS points on it!

posted on Oct, 16 2013 @ 12:27 PM
link   

they not still in recess?

posted on Oct, 16 2013 @ 12:28 PM
link   
From Reuters

BREAKING NEWS: Income verification provision in senate deal is ‘modest adjustment’ to Affordable Care Act: White House

live.reuters.com...

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join