It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mark 'Chopper' Read dead: Report

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 01:12 AM
link   

He was portrayed by Eric Bana in the 2000 film Chopper, and his autobiographical books have made him Australia's best-selling true crime author.

In April 2012 he revealed that he had cancer and at the time said doctors had told him he may have weeks or up to six years left to live.

Mark 'Chopper' Read dead: Report

Rip Chopper.

Finally you are at rest.

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 01:15 AM
link   

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 01:21 AM
link   
Although Chopper didn't star in his own movie, Eric Bana does a good job at Portraying his character.
In the movie Chopper.

There this should cover who chopper is.

He was a underworld figure from Melbourne.
edit on 9/10/2013 by amraks because: corrected name.

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 01:21 AM
link   
Criminal Life.

When he was still young, Read was already an accomplished street fighter and the leader of the Surrey Road gang. He began his criminal career by robbing drug dealers, based in massage parlours in the Prahran area. He later graduated to kidnapping and torturing members of the criminal underworld, often using a blowtorch or bolt cutters to remove the toes of his victims as an incentive for them to produce enough money so that Read would leave them alive

en.wikipedia.org...

Choppers Hiphop Career - this is actually him in this film clip.

Chopper Read f. Hyjak n Torcha - Night With Chopper
edit on 9/10/2013 by amraks because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 01:33 AM
link   
Ya beat me to it mate.

Yeah, end of an era. A long, possibly violent but not to let the truth get in the way of a good yarn, era.

Ol' chop chop was my first 'friend' on MySpace many years ago. lol.. along with an asian hooker.. Oh I kept quaint company. What ever happened to myspace Oo

RIP you old earless bugger. I doubt god would let him in, but he'd be a good doorman.

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 01:39 AM
link   

winofiend
Ya beat me to it mate.

Yeah, end of an era. A long, possibly violent but not to let the truth get in the way of a good yarn, era.

Ol' chop chop was my first 'friend' on MySpace many years ago. lol.. along with an asian hooker.. Oh I kept quaint company. What ever happened to myspace Oo

RIP you old earless bugger. I doubt god would let him in, but he'd be a good doorman.

Yeah he was on my myspace too lol. This would of been the first hiphop clip I seen him in.
Brad Strut, bias b and balans all the legends of Aussie Hiphop

Chopper Read, Brad Strut, Bias B & Balans - Machete

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 02:35 AM
link   
Just wanted to add .. Loved the film and after watching that clip of the recent (hmm 2000 or not so recent) Eric Bana plays him very well and I couldn't believe how different Eric looks in the chopper film to his more recent films

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 03:00 AM
link   
He was a likable chap. Even with a past like his he made me giggle when doing interviews.

However, what really made me laugh were the ones who dared to take the P* out of old chop chop.

Respect and RIP.

Cpt.

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 03:40 AM
link   
reply to post by CaptainBeno

Least we still have the comedian who done that comedy video you posted.

But the real chopper has gone forever.

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 04:06 AM
link   
A notable figure in Australia's history whom should be remembered, but I do not understand why so many Australians idolised this man or why the media feel the need to glamorise his life. I do not enjoy down talking people that have just passed, so I won't say more.

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 04:10 AM
link   
There's a guy who owns a second-hand junk shop in Collingwood who always engaged anyone who came into his shop in discussion about his mate 'Chopper Read''. Being Collingwood, and full of Collingwood supporters (Melburnians will understand), we were never sure if he was telling the truth, another colourful specimen of the streets with a tale to tell, or perhaps just a stubby short of a six-pack.

Sure enough though, there was an article on the TV about the dying 'Chop Chop' just a couple of days ago, and there was 'Chopper', all 8 feet of him (6 foot 2 actually) with very same junk-shop man (who sold me a crap bicycle for way too much more than a decade ago) very slender, and quite short, who was bearing the not inconsiderable size and weight of the seemingly undiminished standover man.

For better or worse, Melbourne will never be the same.

Mark Brandon 'Chopper' Read, RIP

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 04:31 AM
link   
Nooooooo uncle chop chop

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 04:44 AM
link   

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 04:58 AM
link   
reply to post by amraks

I remember watching Chopper years ago, good film.

R.I.P Chopper

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 05:12 AM
link   
reply to post by biggm

As much as it seemed he didn't like that guy, I loved his rendition of Chopper.

Ahh, actually, Bana did a good Chopper and Heath does a great Bana.

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 05:15 AM
link   

Dark Ghost
A notable figure in Australia's history whom should be remembered, but I do not understand why so many Australians idolised this man or why the media feel the need to glamorise his life. I do not enjoy down talking people that have just passed, so I won't say more.

He was a larrakin. Kept you guessing. You knew he was evil, but in a sinister clown sort of way, and not in an eating your children while you're tied up in the basement, kinda way.

Even the copper who dealt with him for so long says he was a charming bloke, under neath the public persona.. but that despite that, real crims still had fear put in them if they heard he was around.

Certainly an anti-hero if you hate career crooks with toes...

"I just like they way they pop off.." about toes..

lmao

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 05:24 AM
link   
Couldn't resist one more.
www.youtube.com...

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 05:25 AM
link   
I remember quiet a few yrs ago he and some other ex footy personallity ( his name escapes me) did a travelling comedy show.

Anyway I was dragged along one night, thinking it would be stupid. Surprisingly he chopper was quiet entertaining. The amount of "chopper groupies" was cringe worthy. I was like wth is with all these people

Also visited pentridge for a tour after it closed as a prison and seen a punching bag with " chopper was here" written on it. Wouldn't know if it was legit.

Funny us auzzies in general of course, seem to still idolise our criminals. Why? I have no idea, this man claimed to murder 19 people, wonder if the coppers didn't believe him!!

P:S although I don't know a lot about him, I'm strangely surprised at how much I do. Oh well I guess I'll add a R.I.P no ears.

Eta:I remember now, it was a comedy type show with Mark 'Jacko' Jackson . He is NOT funny at all.
edit on 9-10-2013 by feelingconnected because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 07:23 AM
link   
R.I.P Chop Chop.

"taking out the garbage" - Is fair game in my books, wether you disagree or not.

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 07:49 AM
link   
RIP to Uncle chop chop

I think Ronnie Johns chopper was the best

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join