It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATF tries to block whistleblowing agent’s Fast and Furious book

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 11:39 AM
link   
Had to do a double take after reading this. Looks like our favorite AG Eric Holder does not want anything published regarding the ATF's centerpiece of incompetence the "Fast and Furious" scandal. The ATF is now moving to block whistle-blower Special Agent John Dodson's book on it.

ATF tries to block whistleblowing agent’s Fast and Furious book

The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives is blocking the main whistleblower in the Fast and Furious case from publishing a book, claiming his retelling of the Mexico “gun-walking” scandal will hurt morale inside the embattled law enforcement agency, according to documents obtained by The Washington Times.

Not secret stuff that would endanger agents and things like that but it would "hurt morale."

Their rejection [of publishing permission] made no claims that the book would release sensitive or classified information or compromise ongoing law enforcement proceedings. Rather, the supervisors offered a different reason for their decision. “This would have a negative impact on morale in the Phoenix [Field Division] and would have a detrimental effect on our relationships with DEA and FBI.”

Permission to publish refused because it would have a "negative impact on morale?" Because it would have a "detrimental effect on our relationships with DEA and FBI?"

Say what?? What happened to the 1st amendment? Maybe the AG should look around the rest of America to really see what a "negative impact on morale" really looks like.
edit on 736am1010am112013 by Bassago because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 12:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Bassago

It might hurt their feelings (Morale)? Really?
Of course they can't say that it might give away secrets, that would mean they would have to show what was being compromised. Which also would let the author take a spin at editing out questionable content, which would still allow for the release of the book.
Hurt morale? More than the stand down orders, more than their catch and release attitude, more than their "If it's less than 150 lbs of drugs we're not going to prosecute" stand?
I was miffed enough when I read they were trying to suppress publication, but once I saw their rationale I was absolutely livid.
When our President goes to Mexico and tells them that the drug gangs causing problems get their guns because us Americans are too attached to our second ammendment rights, and they think THIS BOOK is going to cause morale problems?

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 12:32 PM
link   
Will his book also cover operation wide receiver? That was the name of the operation before they changed the name.

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 12:34 PM
link   
Ah the first amendment, it is a wonderful thing

I mean you can say what you want in America can't you... Oh wait...

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 12:37 PM
link   
reply to post by buster2010

So are you suggesting the only reason this guy is writing this book, is because he hates our current POTUS???

Quite frankly, I am all for EVERY POTUS and POLITICIAN whom has broken laws be put on trial for their crimes!

Present OR Past! D or R means nothing to me......

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 12:41 PM
link   

buster2010
Will his book also cover operation wide receiver? That was the name of the operation before they changed the name.

Don't really know. The ATF is suppressing it so we can't read it yet.

Maybe we never will.
edit on 779pm0101pm122013 by Bassago because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 12:49 PM
link   
Surely there are some fine publishing companies in Russia which would be happy to display their middle fingers to the ATF over this and publish this courageous gentleman's works for him?

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 12:55 PM
link   

buster2010

Does this decision cover the First Amendment? That was the name of the right before it was bent over a barrel and taken by force from We the People.

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 01:09 PM
link   

burdman30ott6
Surely there are some fine publishing companies in Russia which would be happy to display their middle fingers to the ATF over this and publish this courageous gentleman's works for him?

It appears that he has to request permission to perform outside work before he can work with a publisher. They're using that to stop him.

Mr. Dodson began penning a book late last year about his role as the central whistleblower in the case and in June sought formal permission for outside employment that would allow him to engage a publisher and publish the book.

Which apparently he is not going to get.

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 01:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Bassago

I missed the part of the article that states he's still employed by ATF. That's a dangerous situation for him and I'm somewhat surprised he hasn't resigned his position. Next time the ATF decides to have a child killing party at Waco, I'd be very careful if I was this man and got assigned to the show. Good way to take one in the back of the head and see it written off as him bieng a victim of shots fired from whatever compound they're laying siege to.

posted on Oct, 16 2013 @ 02:10 PM
link   
There is an update to this story. Apparently the author is now being allowed to publish his book.

ATF agent can publish book on 'Fast and Furious'

The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives has approved publication of a book by an agent who told Congress about the agency's failed gun smuggling sting operation "Fast and Furious."

The Justice Department says ATF on Wednesday was notifying the American Civil Liberties Union, which represents special agent John Dodson, that he may publish the book but that a few parts of will be redacted for law-enforcement reasons.

It is still unclear whether Dodson will be allowed to be paid for the book. Federal law generally prohibits government workers from profiting off of outside work that is specifically based on their government job.

The Justice Department's ethics office will make a final determination on that after the partial government shutdown has ended.

So the ATF say's he can publish with only a "few parts redacted." Yeah, I'll bet... just a few.

top topics

join