It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Comet ISON : Realtime Image and Info 2013

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 4 2013 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Okeyd57
reply to post by Kuroodo

I saw a story on another site this morning that said Ison has changed course, and isn't following their models. Some concern that it might be coming closer to us, or worse. Does anybody have any info on that ?

It's not true.
Image from Slooh:
images.slooh.com...
Astrometrically solved version of the image.
nova.astrometry.net...
Downloading the WCS embedded "new-image.fits" file allows us to precisely determine the coordinates of the comet in the image.
img42.imageshack.us...
9hr 20m 54.193s, +18d 54' 18.98"
The time of the first frame there corresponds to September 24.2127083 in fractional days. Ephemeris I already calculated for ISON are in fractions of a day with one set of coordinates given on about every half hour. You can download that ephemeris here:
dropcanvas.com...
I purposefully excluded any observations from the month of September or later from the calculation of ISON's orbit in order to prove the orbit has not changed. Now there is one caveat in that the ephemeris I gave are topocentric to my usual observing site, not SLOOH's observatory, but given the distance of ISON topocentric parallax will be relatively minor, just a few arcseconds at most, but the image scale is more than 2 arcseconds per pixel so it won't really matter. The time of this frame (24.2127083) lands between two of the times I gave in my ephemeris, so the coordinates of ISON in the image should be between the set of coordinates bordering it in time.
2013 09 24.208266 09 20 53.688 +18 54 21.17
2013 09 24.229099 09 20 56.107 +18 54 08.22
Indeed it does. The detected coordinates were 9hr 20m 54.193s, +18d 54' 18.98", right between those two as expected. Also, it's closer to the first set than the second set, which is expected as well given that the time of the image is closer to the first set's time than the second set's time.

So yes, ISON's right where it should be.

posted on Oct, 4 2013 @ 02:44 PM
link   
reply to post by ngchunter

And here, once more, this time using one of my own images (it's a more recent image as well). Here's the image I took of it on the morning of October 2nd at 6am eastern time:

As I mentioned before, I calculated the orbit of ISON and generated a long running ephemeris based on my usual observing location now through January at half hour intervals, purposefully excluding any observations from the month of September or later in order to be able to demonstrate that the orbit has not "changed."
dropcanvas.com...
6am eastern time on October 2nd corresponds to 10am GMT, or October 2.416 in fractional day format as used in the ephemeris above. The predicted coordinates for ISON at that time from my observing site were:
2013 10 02.416468 09hr 37m 37.700s, +17d 19' 42.36"
Now here is an astrometrically solved version of my image:
nova.astrometry.net...
Using the WCS embedded fits file available on that page we can determine precisely what the coordinates of ISON were at that time:
nova.astrometry.net...
Here are the results:
img845.imageshack.us...
The coordinates were 9hr 37m 37.378s, +17d 19' 42.03". Given that the resolution of the image was 3.81 arcseconds per pixel (nova.astrometry.net... ), ISON is precisely where it should be in the image.
edit on 4-10-2013 by ngchunter because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 4 2013 @ 05:22 PM
link   
reply to post by cheesy

A friend called me yesterday and said that they saw a YouTube video
that reported, "Mars gone Comet" or some such thing.

Anyone know anything about this?

"Mars gone Comet" is of course a dramatic attention-grabbing headline.
I think it was James McCanney who made this remark, talking to John Moore
on his radio show, here is the link:

thelightofdayradioshow.com...

What this means is unclear but it seems to have been an interaction between
Ison and Mars that has produced a 'coma' (halo) effect on Mars -- which may
be an electromagnetic induction effect. Other members may know more.

A good part of the short radio show excerpt was speculation about whether
there was also a conspiracy in progress that was preventing US-govt-paid
professional astronomers from observing this as it was happening.

edit on 4-10-2013 by wasaka because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 4 2013 @ 09:17 PM
link   
I posted a video by BPEarthwatch yesterday on Ison and I thought I would share "his" latest analysis.

posted on Oct, 4 2013 @ 09:40 PM
link   

ngchunter

And here, once more, this time using one of my own images (it's a more recent image as well). Here's the image I took of it on the morning of October 2nd at 6am eastern time:

As I mentioned before, I calculated the orbit of ISON and generated a long running ephemeris based on my usual observing location now through January at half hour intervals, purposefully excluding any observations from the month of September or later in order to be able to demonstrate that the orbit has not "changed."
dropcanvas.com...
6am eastern time on October 2nd corresponds to 10am GMT, or October 2.416 in fractional day format as used in the ephemeris above. The predicted coordinates for ISON at that time from my observing site were:
nova.astrometry.net...
Using the WCS embedded fits file available on that page we can determine precisely what the coordinates of ISON were at that time:
nova.astrometry.net...
Here are the results:
img845.imageshack.us...
The coordinates were 9hr 37m 37.378s, +17d 19' 42.03". Given that the resolution of the image was 3.81 arcseconds per pixel (nova.astrometry.net... ), ISON is precisely where it should be in the image.

I thought if I could help get a visual that would help explain ISON orbit it might help others to understand better whats going on. This guy's assessment matches yours.

posted on Oct, 4 2013 @ 10:22 PM
link   
Love this post, thanks! S & F

posted on Oct, 4 2013 @ 10:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Staroth

So , ok nice photos, but will it effect us? And if it will when? ????

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 01:25 AM
link   
reply to post by MagyarVagyok

Ison will never effect us. A pea, about 1 mile radius from your body, would have more gravitational effect on you than Ison's closest approach.

Comets do not "change course" unless they pass extremely close to a huge gravitational well, like Jupiter, or dive headlong into the Sun. Other wise, they deviate from their orbit in extremely small amounts due to the effects of celestial mechanics over the course of their orbit.

Over millions of years, most comets run into the sun or another planet, are gravitation-ally ejected from the solar system by a major planet or lose their ices and disintegrate during their travels through the inner solar system near the sun.
Source: NASA/JPL

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 06:40 AM
link   

ngchunter

dropcanvas.com...
nova.astrometry.net...
nova.astrometry.net...
Here are the results:
img845.imageshack.us...

Excellent work! Thank you for taking time to prepare for ATS members!

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 09:44 AM
link   
reply to post by cheesy

Thanks for the pics! Any idea what are the current coordinates of the comet so I can try and look it up?

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 10:13 AM
link   
Here a Oct 4/13

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 10:14 AM
link   

Thank you so much for clarifying that matter. I have been wondering about the comets current position. I have watched some youtube videos, wont say who specifically, but it left me questioning what the heck was going on. Nice pics you got there too!!

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 01:29 PM
link   
Is it already visible from Earth? I thought it's coming in December. NASA site has been shut down... any NASA site that shows where and when and for how long, I'm sure it can be seen with a naked eye. Also they said months ago it would be brighter than the Moon, really? It doesn't seem so from the pics. Brightness looks more like the last comet I watched in 2007 near Perseus.

earthsky.org...

Okay wow, so it has already passed near Mars, should be visible near Leo and Alpha Leo, ok good, now let's see when Leo rises on the horizon.
edit on 5-10-2013 by ImpactoR because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 01:32 PM
link   

cheesy
Ultimately, I made ​​the decision to make a special thread for comet ISON Picture, I will try to input images of the comet ISON from independent observers around the world..if you have the latest pictures, I gladly welcome to include it in this thread..now all world look to the sky ..
Thanks for all the comments, posts, criticism, suggestions and your smile..

This is Comet Ison From 1 October 2013 from independent observers..Enjoy

1 Oct 13 R.Ligustri, New Mexico :

1 Oct 13 Bill Martinec, New Mexico :

1 Oct 13 Ernesto Guido, Nick Howes & Martino Nicolini, Liverpool :

2 Oct 13 Ari Koutsouradis, Westminster MD USA :

2 Oct 13 André Knöfel, Drebach, Germany :

2 Oct 13 Nirmal Paul, Canary Island, Teide :

2 Oct 13 Norbert mrozek, Hagen Germany :

2 Oct 13 Frank A. Rodriguez, onomico Roque Saucillo (CARS). Vega de San Mateo. Gran Canaria (Canary Islands) :

3 Oct 13 Dr Paolo Candy, Ci.A.O. Cimini Astronomical Observatory - Italy :

3 Oct 13 Bill Martinec,New Mexico, USA :

3 Oct 13 Nirmal Paul, Mayhill New Mexico USA :

edit on 3-10-2013 by cheesy because: (no reason given)

I looked at the fourth picture by Ari Koutsouradis and when I saw mars and the comet it simply gave me chills. If there is a place where heaven really is, it really is among the stars, not saying earth is hell, but you understand what I mean I am sure.

How many years before we solve the conflicts and corruption as well as the sins of earth and we can proceed for space travel and exploration?

Thruthseek3r

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 01:39 PM
link   
reply to post by swanne

The coordinates are changing all the time.
Get Stellarium if you don't already have it and do this:
www.skywatchersindia.com...

edit on 10/5/2013 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 02:15 PM
link   
Nice, Leo rises at 6 AM or around, I have a view low on the horizon as I am high above, my view is exactly on East where it rises. And I get up for work around that time, perfect..

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 02:16 PM
link   
reply to post by ImpactoR

You know you're going to need a telescope to see it, right?
It's about magnitude 11. Very much not naked eye visible.

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 02:41 PM
link   

Phage
reply to post by ImpactoR

You know you're going to need a telescope to see it, right?
It's about magnitude 11. Very much not naked eye visible.

but wheres the fun in that? coulda waited a bit let him have a search first lol

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 02:50 PM
link   

Phage
reply to post by swanne

The coordinates are changing all the time.
Get Stellarium if you don't already have it and do this:
www.skywatchersindia.com...

Very cool site.
Also, I didn't know Stellarium could do that.

posted on Oct, 5 2013 @ 02:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

I must have missed that part... Then where did the 'brighter than the moon' talkabout go? I totally expected it would be visible to the naked eye, like the one in 2007 near Perseus. Certainly not gonna chill on the cold at a nearby observatory just for that (or am i).

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join