It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Comet ISON : Realtime Image and Info 2013

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 6 2013 @ 02:50 AM
link   

trinityalways
reply to post by tracehd1

Professor James McCanney thank you for your diligence and truth.

That's one of the funniest things I've read in a while. McCanney is a charlatan.

www.cosmophobia.org...
www.badastronomy.com...

Mars hasn't "gone comet".

posted on Oct, 6 2013 @ 03:02 AM
link   
I want to know how close it's coming to mercury. I don't think we want mercury doing some crazy eccentric elliptical stuff. maybe it's not coming that close but on the models, it looks very very close.

edit...hmmm, that's weird. some models seem to have it coming closer to mars, some seem to have it coming closer to mercury.
edit on 7201331AM10AM43p04America/Chicago by NotAnAspie because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2013 @ 03:15 AM
link   
reply to post by NotAnAspie

What exactly are you worried about?

some models seem to have it coming closer to mars, some seem to have it coming closer to mercury.
Some models? What models are you using?

C/2012 S1 will have its close approach with Mercury on November 29. It will pass within 929,000 miles of it.

Its close approach with Mars was on October 1, It passed within 6.5 million miles.
ssd.jpl.nasa.gov.../2012%20S1

posted on Oct, 6 2013 @ 03:35 AM
link   

Phage

some models seem to have it coming closer to mars, some seem to have it coming closer to mercury.

C/2012 S1 will have its close approach with Mercury on November 29. It will pass within 929,000 miles of it.

Its close approach with Mars was on October 1, It passed within 6.5 million miles.

I've looked at various ones. I didn't write them down or anything. The one I looked at a minute ago shows it coming much closer to mars... and obviously nothing happened, which is good of course and I'm just reflecting on seeing past models showing it coming very close to mercury, which I didn't see in the model I just looked at... which is why I edited my post. 929,000 miles is pretty far... and is why I wanted to know.
That is the only concern that I really had with this comet... because I was surprised to see how close it came to Mercury on some models. I doubt any of them are 100% accurate but it's still not really an exciting feeling looking at one that has very close brushes to any of the smaller inner planets... for obvious reasons.

I'm not sure what else there is to explain.

posted on Oct, 6 2013 @ 03:41 AM
link   

The reason I asked is because there aren't really a lot of "models" and if one has values that are very different from the numbers I gave there is something wrong with it. Orbital mechanics just don't lend themselves to much interpretation. If a model showed the comet passing closer to Mars than 1 million miles there is something seriously wrong with it.

posted on Oct, 6 2013 @ 04:01 AM
link   

Phage

The reason I asked is because there aren't really a lot of "models" and if one has values that are very different from the numbers I gave there is something wrong with it. Orbital mechanics just don't lend themselves to much interpretation. If a model showed the comet passing closer to Mars than 1 million miles there is something seriously wrong with it.

maybe so, but the one's I looked at that seemed to show it coming closer to mercury didn't seem to show it coming that close to mars. That is why I noted that the one I just looked at, which is solar system scope, shows it coming way closer to mars than mercury, but still not under 6 million miles within mars. It doesn't, however, say it's coming within 929,000 miles of Mercury. Closest is twenty million.

So, that's a little confusing and although I'm more worried about someone tampering with my mail next week... I still hope it doesn't hit a planet because now I'm not sure what to think. I'm comfortable with over a million though, for sure. Mercury doesn't even have a moon to worry about...whereas mars does, is next to us and all that is over with, so... good.

I don't know how many you mean by a few, but I'd say I've seen..?? five maybe ??... including the two I just looked at. The other one was on a nasa page and it didn't seem to angle so I just looked at it for a minute. The one's I had previously looked at might have been more than a month ago. I'm not sure if that has made any difference.
edit on 7201331AM10AM43p06America/Chicago by NotAnAspie because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2013 @ 05:38 AM
link   
i could not see anything on mccanneys site about mars going "comet" or "green" like ison was reported to be showing the color green. on a page dedicated to ison on jim mcC page the last entry was 2012 which i found strange. i think his site needs better layout and headings. i dont think he's a charlatan as his electric comet theory shows more sense than dirty snowballs.
dont have the link anymore but elsewhere there was a video talking about ison changing direction. huh? anyone else see that? in close ups there appears to be at least 3 objects and 1 with a jet of some sort. i guess there is a lot of disinfo around too. all in all i'll keep an open mind for now. but i do wonder about the US govt shutting down; and nasa making nothing new available; and underground shelters built in the US and apparently russia too.
should be an interesting next 2 months.

posted on Oct, 6 2013 @ 06:42 AM
link   
reply to post by orangutang

You do realise that the USA gov shut down because of some Republican wankers not agreeing with Obama's healthcare reforms? It's irrelevant to the topic anyway, as there are plenty other space agencies and astronomers around the world who are observing ISON.

The rest of your post is mostly about nonsense, fed by ridiculous Youtube videos and forum posts. ISON hasn't changed its course, hasn't suddenly gone green, it doesn't have "companions" orbiting it (at least none that we can see), and as I mentioned Mars hasn't been interacting with it (McCanney has been claiming it did on some radio shows and live Youtube webcasts).

There's science, and there's pseudo-science. You'll do yourself a favour by sticking to the former rather than the latter. Join some astronomy forums and groups (not the "alternative" or doomsday ones), see how amateur astronomers photograph and study ISON and other comets and asteroids, ask them questions. Here are some good Facebook groups for this:

International Comet group
International Near Earth Reporting Center
Comets and Asteroids

Hopefully you will realise that you don't need crank-scientists like McCanney to tell you what's going on in space. If you dislike NASA, fine, you don't have to believe their word either. They aren't the only ones with telescopes.

edit on 6-10-2013 by wildespace because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2013 @ 12:10 PM
link   
reply to post by orangutang

As an update to my previous post, here's some info just posted to Comets and Asteroids page:

Radio Spectroscopy and Radio Observations of comet C/2012 (ISON) and comet 2P/Encke by Ellen S Howell at Arecibo Observatory Telescope appear on this week's schedule to observe OH lines for each comet in order to determine the outflow velocity, and water production rates and to also look for formaldehyde and methanol at C-band (5 GHz). Reference info from Arecibo Project summary and schedule
www.naic.edu...

Karl Battams posted about more upcoming observations on NASA CIOC blog on Friday. Upcoming Observations (Oct 4 - 11) NASA Comet ISON Observing Campaign
www.isoncampaign.org...

Even if you don't understand the scientific language, it's enough to know that astronomers are constantly observing and studying ISON. And that should tell you that it's where it's supposed to be, and that nothing unusual has been happening - otherwise we would hear about it, from reliable sources.

Quoting from the "ISON observing campaign" site:
"Every day now there are a bunch of optical telescopes around the world observing ISON, all of which provide valuable input on its brightness, morphology (tail/coma shape and length for example), dust production rates, etc. I can't write about each of these individually as there are just too many. But you should consider it a given now that there is not going to be a day of the week in the next couple of months that at least a few people -- amateur and professional -- aren't going to be trying for optical observations of ISON."

That's why I find it ridiculous that people believe and follow some Youtube videos and woo-woo guys like McCanney or Hoagland. There's nothing they say that has any scientific relevance, considering the real work astronomers do every day (or night).

posted on Oct, 6 2013 @ 01:22 PM
link   
I just read an article about comet ison possibly disintegrating and dying. Any thoughts on whether this is true? Was hoping to see something interesting by naked eye sometime. Also if it's dying maybe they debunks some of the youtubers doomsday theories.

phys.org...

After I read the article I saw this tweet: Ed1ward2 @PGH_Space Nothing new here..this guy Ferrin has his own agenda.Ison continues to brighten and some days ago Dr Tony Phillips reminded

earthtrace.com...

So anyways your take ?
edit on 6-10-2013 by Ronnie6657 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2013 @ 05:25 PM
link   

Phage

Thank you for clarifying up an aspect I thought was correct.

posted on Oct, 6 2013 @ 07:21 PM
link   
reply to post by cheesy

Cheesy i thought you may like to see this, thornews on his youtube channel released this 2 hours ago, he explains why he thinks comet Ison is not a comet.

Love and harmony
Whateva

posted on Oct, 6 2013 @ 08:30 PM
link   
It's so refreshing to see images and news about Comet ISON on ATS, without having to then sift through the terrible "but really it's a spaceship" threads.

Thanks heaps for posting this! S&F

posted on Oct, 6 2013 @ 08:36 PM
link   
Tq So much Guys for your update..i am sory cant reply or post update on saturday or sunday..i dont have PC and internet on home..just can look with Handphone..

Here Some Update Image Once again TQ Guys! Enjoy
:

5 Oct 2013 Charlie Prince, Edwards, CA USA :

5 Oct 2013 Ernesto Guido, Martino Nicolini & Nick Howes, Liverpool

5 Oct Jason, Orlando, Fl, USA :

This the Moving Ison Picture..5 Oct 2013, And Asteroid Eros Still There On the Top Left of the Image..

Comet C/2012 S1 ISON and asteroid 433 Eros captured on 25 September with iTelescope T4 at around 5:10 am local time in New Mexico, USA. The image is a stack of 10 x 60 second Luminance exposures. Images stacked then SUMMED using ImageJ, then contrast enhancement applied

posted on Oct, 6 2013 @ 08:50 PM
link   
6 Oct 2013 Efrain Morales Rivera, Aguadilla, Puerto Rico

posted on Oct, 6 2013 @ 10:03 PM
link   

wildespace

trinityalways
reply to post by tracehd1

Professor James McCanney thank you for your diligence and truth.

That's one of the funniest things I've read in a while. McCanney is a charlatan.

www.cosmophobia.org...
www.badastronomy.com...

Mars hasn't "gone comet".

Not good references above thanks but no thanks I have a few of my own too I can shoot at ya
Hey phil, before you start spouting off with your poorly educated PhD
(Piled Higher and Deeper) yapper, you may want to know that Cornell
is not the only place I taught and yes I did EARN a title of
professor / so go make your post and you are cruisin for a law
suite / listen to my show tonight as I do expose you for the gov-paid-
con-artist that you are / by the way ...
you are not my target
understand, as you stand in front of the real targets, which are the
nasa scientists who use you to hide behind as the chickens that they
are !!!! /

Jim McCanney

These 2 have been going round and round for years.

Trinity

posted on Oct, 6 2013 @ 11:26 PM
link   
This Another From 5 Oct i love this one..Very Nice with mars inside..
:

Taken at the Kelling Heath Star Party 5am BST (4am GMT) Sunday 6th October.
4 x 3 minute exposures stacked.

Canon 350D on Takahashi Epsilon 180ED with IDAS LP2 filter.

Mark

stargazerslounge.com...

Another Great Image, still with Green:
5 Oct Michael Jäger, Weißenkirchen, Austria

posted on Oct, 6 2013 @ 11:31 PM
link   

Starwise

Phage

Thank you for clarifying up an aspect I thought was correct.

Mars= Correct.

Mercury= Incorrect.

Ison will not come as close to Mercury as it did Mars.

Any evidence to the contrary would be interesting to see and is appreciated because the closest I have found is around 20 million miles. If it is coming within a million, that would be interesting to know.

posted on Oct, 6 2013 @ 11:37 PM
link   

Phage

Thank you. I was starting to imagine a site with a selection of models. The "Peaceful Pass' model, followed by perhaps the 'Close Call' model and of course, no comet or asteroid selection would be complete without the 'ELE! RUN!' model.

I couldn't quite wrap my mind around how that would work vs. the JPL 'doesn't come close to anything' model that, as you note, that pesky math supports as what it's going to do. I'm just hoping for a good sight to watch as it goes over us and back out.
edit on 6-10-2013 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2013 @ 12:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

well, it's somewhat understandable to be off 19071000 miles when there was no close approach estimate given for Mercury in JPL anyway.

Not that I saw, which is why I'm still asking if someone has the evidence other than an alternative model.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join