It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

rape prevention , by " teaching men not to rape " a concept ?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 03:18 PM
link   
It seemed that what started as a serious and important thread has degenerated into what I said it wouyld. And now I myself am being insulted under the pretence that I need help.; If you seriously believed that you would not spout such vitriol against me.;
I could do as you are doing and insult yhou back,l but that would be childish, immature and just as hateful.

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 03:21 PM
link   
reply to post by HomerinNC

They make the news more often than the guys. Especially when the women are nice looking.

Here's 3 male teachers caught from one school.

3 male teachers from 1 NJ school

Also those teachers are not from around my area. Though I did live in WA state for a couple of years.

I also think those women are as wrong as the guys with underage women.

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 03:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Merlynn

Do you believe the 17-18 year old females in that story were *raped*?

edit on 27-9-2013 by BardingTheBard because:

link   
So I guess my question is, how exactly are you going to teach men not to rape? What exactly will the curriculum consist of, sodomy?

I'm not attempting to be cute here, I'm serious. Every person I have ever known already understands rape to be wrong, and NOT TO DO IT... So, that begs the question, "teach mean not to rape" how?

How do you teach someone not to do something they already know is wrong?

Teaching a person NOT to steal, kill, lie and rape, or any other specifically unethical scope of practice is utterly superfluous on every level when people (MOST) already understand this be the case.

The bottom line is that people, regardless of training and knowledge of ethical practices, will, and can still grow up to be rapists, murders, brawlers, and generally bad people.

You either choose, or you're mentally Ill. Those are your only options.

link   
reply to post by Merlynn

I agree, the problem I am having is the OP and Taoistguy say pretty much 'all men are rapists', that couldnt be further from the truth. I'd say its the individual, and I mean in both sexes.
Not all men wake up in the morning and say to themselves, "Hmmm, its a sunny day, think I'll go rape someone,", and thats pretty much what theyre saying

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 03:25 PM
link   

teaching men not to rape

What a disgusting notion. I can't believe that people would subscribe to a mentality that suggests ALL men, unless taught otherwise, are violent. Not only violent, but willing to sexually violate women, again, unless 'taught' otherwise.

ALL people need to be taught that violence is wrong. Clearly rape is wrong and you'd specifically have to be taught otherwise to not understand that.

This is another one of those feminism double think traps that celebrate women as victims and men as the evil oppressors.

~Tenth

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 03:28 PM
link   

HomerinNC
reply to post by Merlynn

I agree, the problem I am having is the OP and Taoistguy say pretty much 'all men are rapists', that couldnt be further from the truth. I'd say its the individual, and I mean in both sexes.
Not all men wake up in the morning and say to themselves, "Hmmm, its a sunny day, think I'll go rape someone,", and thats pretty much what theyre saying

Look again, it is "potential rapists".

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 03:29 PM
link   
reply to post by taoistguy

Again, as I asked you before, are you saying youre a potential rapist as well?

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 03:32 PM
link   
Lets start with priests. We should also think about a way to teach kids not to kill their mother and eat her liver.
edit on 27-9-2013 by Visitor2012 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 03:33 PM
link   

HomerinNC

Again, as I asked you before, are you saying youre a potential rapist as well?

OK, you want me to repeat myself?
Yes, I am a potential rapist as I outined and defined what that meant in a previous post of mine. Did you not understand? All men are potential rapists in the sense of their anatomy and power (muscle/politics/dynamics).

ADDED:
Doesn't mean I have or will rape, but that there is the potential.

edit on 27-9-2013 by taoistguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 03:35 PM
link   
reply to post by snowen20

Well, how do you teach a woman not to get raped? You can do everything possible and it still may happen. That's the reason behind why there should be classes for guys, some rapes are opportunity like at a party or in a gang. Women are taught not to be in these situations, guys need to realize even when women are in these situations, they don't take advantage of it. Now granted the more extreme, like someone breaking into your home? The law taking the crime seriously might help in that one.

Nobody seems to know because they don't like to put it in the news, but many women in Iran and Afghanistan (US Army women)have been victims. In some cases the cover up is so bad. The one girl from MO (Johnson I believe) was murdered to cover it up. Her family did some digging and found that after her death acid (or something like that) was poured on her privates to get rid of evidence. She was killed because she reported and was still kept in same unit as the perps.

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 03:36 PM
link   

So you think you have the potential because your reproductive organs are outside you....
Also, you dont have the thought processes to tell you right from wrong?

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 03:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Merlynn

The thing is, when some people hear about women accused of abuse they say "That's not possible! Women do not abuse" and that's not true.

A 19-year-old man has come forward and reported his own sexual assault that took place March 30 in Toronto. The report singles out four women as the assailants, highlighting not only the brutality of the assault, but the bravery of the victim to come forward in a world where sexual assault against men is rarely reported.

Then there's the "Men can't be victims of abuse" mentality backed up by other men that say "I wish a woman did that to me".

"Other men will say for example, 'Oh, he’s so lucky,' like that was actually a positive thing when it wasn't," said Ontario Coalition of Rape Crisis Centres coordinator Nicole Pietsch. "I think that that just feeds into the myth that sexual violence is something the victim wants."

Canadian Man Sexually Assaulted By Four Women

Reddit thread with interesting discussion

Double standard on sexual assault? Twitter reacts to case alleged against four women involving a man

Now, for what the OP asked, I think it should be changed to "Teach people not to rape" instead of just being only men.

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 03:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Casandra

"Teach people not to rape"

That is the statement of the year!!!
Its not just a male thing.,
Its just a female thing.
Its a PEOPLE THING!!!
Wish I could give you a flag for that

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 03:41 PM
link   

I think taoistguy is getting a bad deal on being a stand up guy. Seeing as most rapes are committed by someone the victim knows he has a point. From a woman's point of view they have to consider every male as a potential rapist (knowing that many don't). This is actually from rape prevention and why they are taught to stay away from certain situations, lock your doors, keep your keys out, and know some equalizing moves (which actually are not taught in a normal prevention class).

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 03:41 PM
link   

HomerinNC

So you think you have the potential because your reproductive organs are outside you....
Also, you dont have the thought processes to tell you right from wrong?

You obviously do not understand what I am saying.
Of course my reproductive organs are outside of me.
I consider myself to know right from wrong. Maybe you shoul;d think about it all for a while?

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 03:46 PM
link   
Sounds fair to me.

To my mind the whole point of it is to tackle the blame-the-victim culture where almost every time somebody is raped, a legion of people jump up to say well they were asking for it, or they shouldn't have been wearing that, or they shouldn't have been alone.

You know who is to blame for rape? Rapists. That's it. End of story.

So as a means towards tackling the blame-the-victim culture, yeah, good idea. Too many boys grow up in cultures were women are treated as sub-human, and objects just to be abused at will.

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 03:46 PM
link   
I hope it works. I mean men need to become more civilised. But life is all about sex and so they think they can be dominant via their sexuality.

Well they can and hurt everyone in the process.

Men who rape hate women - period. So its a case of addressing the issue of what the issues are underlying why in this century they think women shouldn't have a voice.
edit on 27-9-2013 by FreedomEntered because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 03:47 PM
link   

Merlynn
From a woman's point of view they have to consider every male as a potential rapist (knowing that many don't).

From a man's point of view I have to consider every female a potential rape accuser for her own gain.
edit on 27-9-2013 by BardingTheBard because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 03:49 PM
link   
There is no gain in claiming someone raped them.

There is however, a huge amount of shame. Surrounding the issue. As well as immense pain.
The fact is chauvinism exists, and that's why some men rape.

And this effects a high enough percentage of women that something should be done.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join