It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Generation X in a nutshell.

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 21 2013 @ 08:20 PM
link   

benrl
And have very little sympathy for entitled people, "oh I can't find a job with my degree" Tough # flip a god damn burger until you find better or make it better your damn self.

I generally agree with the folks who feel entitled to everything they want... But I find it very confusing that your solution to people who can't monetize with their degree is to get a job that doesn't even pay a living wage for one person.

posted on Sep, 22 2013 @ 02:54 PM
link   
I have a question forthe Xers, are you angry with your parents and see them a a major part of the problem that you have with boomers, or, is it more what the powerful people in charge that happen to be boomers have done.

I seem to relate with my Yers better, although I do have a good relationship with my Xer kids, it is just different.

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 07:59 AM
link   
Generation Xers have left the building
?

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 12:49 PM
link   

stormdancer777
I have a question forthe Xers, are you angry with your parents and see them a a major part of the problem that you have with boomers, or, is it more what the powerful people in charge that happen to be boomers have done.

I seem to relate with my Yers better, although I do have a good relationship with my Xer kids, it is just different.

I am not angry with my Boomer parents. I do see them as a major influence in the views and opinions I have towards that generation. They were very much a part of the cultural modes and movements of their time. I don't make a lot of difference between them and those in power. My father is a stock broker....

In my mind, my parents were young and simply a part of their environment. They were weak and often extremely narcissistic..... but just like the rest of us, they were trying to do the best they could. My mother is dead now, my dad, he's become a slightly embarrassing racist conservative old man. I have always felt more sorry for them than anything else. I feel like I have had to be the more forgiving, the more mature, the more realistic and the more responsible one, always.

I feel ...resigned to this role, and just as I used to have to take care of them when they dropped too much acid, I'll have to take care of them when they are old, pissing their pants and ranting on some more about how frigging awesome they and their generation are. And I will pat their head, say 'yes dad, you were something else."
Then I'll go outside for a smoke, I guess, where it is quiet and nothing matters.

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 08:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Bluesma

Thanks for the reply blue,so they were hippies?

I always wondered myself how the drop out generation of peace and love became so materialistic, it could be that there weren't really as many peace lovers as there were materialist, in school most of my generation were very high achievers that went on to college and became very successful.

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 09:48 AM
link   

stormdancer777
reply to post by Bluesma

Thanks for the reply blue,so they were hippies?

I always wondered myself how the drop out generation of peace and love became so materialistic, it could be that there weren't really as many peace lovers as there were materialist, in school most of my generation were very high achievers that went on to college and became very successful.

Oh they went on to college and were very successful; LOL! Mother and stepfather were professors and taught at a state university, as well as having private practice. In fact I see staying within the educational system as part of their hypocrisy, living off the system they claimed to fight.

No, they were able to take lots of drugs while in college at the same time. Now they and their entourage are mostly over paid psychoanalysts, psychologists, psychotherapists, and philosophers.... they get a lot of plastic surgery and do a lot of New Age seminars and rituals. They smoke less dope, but drink more wine. They sometimes fall asleep while in session with clients- and yet still see what they are doing as worthy of much respect and praise.

My real dad went on into business after college and became very successful too, though he became a christian and a conservative (still smokes dope though, secretly )
edit on 24-9-2013 by Bluesma because: (no reason given)

edit on 24-9-2013 by Bluesma because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 07:33 PM
link   
reply to post by stormdancer777

I was speaking a more broader term, more in terms of generational differences and gaps, societal pressures even environment and such, not on any individual term. Though ultimately we can only speak for our self's. But yes each and every generations on scope has had, and will have, terms, differences, and clashes with the generation that came before, and the one that will come after. Its pretty much been like that to one degree or another since all of recorded history.

Me off course. I can not relate to my parents, or this whole generations thing, or pretty much anybody to any large degree for that matter. But hey that's just me, everybody I suppose would have there story. So love it or hate it. It is! What it is. I suppose we are like snowflakes! Oh such individual's and oh so super special.

No joke, that is one of the problems to much difference in peoples and in generational gaps, but hey the alternative is to be all bot clone like, but that to has its pitfalls. To think that what has worked before will work again is folly, most of the problems in the past were because people dragged things from the past into the present and tried to make it work.

When most if not everything has its time, for a time, in that specific time, space and place. Beyond there place and time they exist only in the fictional concept that people have in there heads which they call the "past" In many ways and things, even every day occurrences which we take for granted and dont notice. I would say trying to prop some things up that once worked and implementing them into the "present"... Well! for some them at least. It is like trying to grab smoke and put it in a jar to preserve it.

But hey most of our rules and regulations in society is merely propping up old customs, rules, ideologies, ideas and even fads from the past, and making it law, ritual, practice in daily occurrences. And then! Sitting back and wondering why it never seems to actually work like we thought it would. Go figure eh?

But yeah! snowflakes.

edit on 24-9-2013 by galadofwarthethird because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2013 @ 10:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Bluesma

No, they were able to take lots of drugs while in college at the same time. Now they and their entourage are mostly over paid psychoanalysts, psychologists, psychotherapists, and philosophers.... they get a lot of plastic surgery and do a lot of New Age seminars and rituals. They smoke less dope, but drink more wine. They sometimes fall asleep while in session with clients- and yet still see what they are doing as worthy of much respect and praise

Oh LOL, those people.

Although I can relate to the hippie new agey experience, I have a negative opinion of colleges and their professors of propaganda, some of them anyway.

posted on Sep, 25 2013 @ 10:47 AM
link   
reply to post by galadofwarthethird

Well snowflake, I hear ya.

posted on Sep, 25 2013 @ 11:52 AM
link   

One may notice that from the subtext of several of these
vintage (read terribad) video game commercials we were
promised girlfriends if we played video games.

Yeah, that chit never panned out.

LOL

Mike

edit on 25-9-2013 by mikegrouchy because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 07:01 PM
link   
reply to post by stormdancer777

Right back at ya!

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 07:16 PM
link   
reply to post by mikegrouchy

They also have commercials were you drink bear and hot chicks will be all over you.
Those however are not true either.
But yes I do believe that sales pitch is used everywhere besides to sell video-games, pretty much has been so for ages, not only has it sold lots of videogames and beer, but many a marriage and everything else. In fact its all just may be a sales pitch on many levels.

But hey! give it some time and in a few generations and what with some tech, even girlfriends may one day be supplanted by some sort of cyber Lucy Liu's. Remember kids! Don't date robots! It will literally lead to the extinctions of all humanity....However that may not be such a bad thing. Who knows eh. Give it a few thousands years and that just may be another big generational gap which everybody will be talking about.

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join