It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Generation X in a nutshell.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+5 more 
posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 06:45 PM
link   
This is a really good piece that sums it up in a nutshell. Awesome

Apologies for being so short. I will add to the discussion as it goes. I am just rushing about with life atm. It sums it up perfectly. Not much to say.
edit on 18-9-2013 by BlastedCaddy because: On my phone.

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 07:12 PM
link   
reply to post by BlastedCaddy

Generation X is going to have to clean up this mess but, we are up to the task.

Just another thankless job inherited from our selfish forebears.

We can't even take it out on generation Y. Just one more cigarette... if we can find a place to smoke it.

edit on 18-9-2013 by greencmp because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 07:14 PM
link   
reply to post by greencmp

I imagine if you do it will be ugly for many.
edit on 18-9-2013 by cavtrooper7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 07:21 PM
link   

But Generation X is tired of your sense of entitlement. Generation X also graduated during a recession. It had even #tier jobs, and actually had to pay for its own music. (At least, when music mattered most to it.) Generation X is used to being #ed over. It lost its meager savings in the dot-com bust. Then came George Bush, and 9/11, and the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan. Generation X bore the brunt of all that. And then came the housing crisis.

Generation X wasn’t surprised. Generation X kind of expected it.

AS someone who is a Gen X member, I have to Say I agree with a lot of it.

I looked at the mistakes of my parents, and the problems they encountered and swore to do better.

and I have to Say its made me a leaner meaner person, I can strive on less and have learned to do more with what I have.

At a time of the greatest Recession this country has seen (yeah right not a depression my ass) I am thriving having watched those before Fail with abundance leads one to plan better.

And have very little sympathy for entitled people, "oh I can't find a job with my degree" Tough # flip a god damn burger until you find better or make it better your damn self.

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 07:21 PM
link   
reply to post by cavtrooper7

So true. Just grin and bear it should be our motto.

Side note. It is always refreshing to read others well put thoughts on gen x and how we do not whine we just do.

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 07:23 PM
link   
reply to post by benrl

Thanks for posting that blurb have yet to master the new layout on the phone.

My wife is a prime example. She went to school for a long time. Has a degree or 3 and cleans houses under the table to pay back the remaining 40gs for loans. She'll just grin and bear it to get it done. Fortunately I'm in a field that will always have a need. I am making about 30gs less then I was 6 years ago and working twice the hours but it is whst it is.
edit on 18-9-2013 by BlastedCaddy because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 07:29 PM
link   

BlastedCaddy
reply to post by benrl

Thanks for posting that blurb have yet to master the new layout on the phone.

NP,

The housing thing was especially to the point for me, I dealt with trying to get my Baby Boomer parents to get their retirement out of real estate. Stating that the market would collapse just like it always does with bubbles like the tech.

Baby Boomer trust the government and system attitude led my father to ruin, won't be happening to his sons thats for damn sure.

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 07:32 PM
link   
reply to post by benrl

Crazy you say that. My dad lost everything and lives in a retirement community slightly bitter with the govt.

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 07:38 PM
link   
Oh my god!

Life sucks?
(no-one told me!)

I'm a baby boomer. Guess I can get all the blame for all of life's woes.

Maybe GenX is the first "Victim" generation.

The economy sucks for everyone.
The housing collapse sucked for everyone.
The wars sucked for everyone.
Healthcare sucks for everyone.
High prices hit everyone.
Unemployment goes for everyone.

Pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and get back to making the life that you want. NOT the one supposedly entitled to you!

*big hugs*

Love always,

Beez.

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 07:43 PM
link   
Gen X'rs have been spoon fed entitlement since birth.
That's their parent's fault. They tend to blame anyone but themselves.
Don't know, don't care.
Life is tough and things are hard consider this your wake up card.

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 07:44 PM
link   
Being a Generation X, member, I assure you I am sick of it, and once position reveals itself for me to make a difference for my generation in a positive and proactive way, I will be there.. This world is more scewed up then ever, Hell I would take the 90's over this horse crap anyday.. Do any fellow generation X, brothers and sisters realize how screwed up it is right now? It is tons, and tons worse then ever.. Our 30's are worse then our parents, and grandparents by so many angles, and our retirement, talk about a trainwreck, how much older do we have to get until we realized we are screwed?

Yea let me sit alone and drink my beer.....

Getting screwed is our purpose I suppose...

Yet let me tell you, if the position reveals itself, I will do all I can to try and stop our demise, better be paying attention...

edit on 18-9-2013 by Bicent76 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 07:46 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

A baby boomin rabbit ??? Who woulda thought.

See what I did there?

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 07:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Cynic

Stop being so cynical.

We are maligned in general, but it's not all our fault. The greatest generation had war + a boomtime economy. The baby boomers just sucked off the teet the greatest generation prepared for them and once they sucked it all up, that's what they left us. What's worse...the generation behind us is strategically taking us out of many jobs by automating them right under our noses. So we got nothing from above and we're getting pinched from below . With all that said, that' little article is about as good as it's going to get. Tom Brokaw ain't doing a TV special about us.
edit on 18-9-2013 by BlastedCaddy because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 07:53 PM
link   

Bicent76

Yea let me sit alone and drink my beer.....

Getting screwed is our purpose I suppose...

Yet let me tell you, if the position reveals itself, I will do all I can to try and stop our demise, better be paying attention...

Um, no you're not screwed. Boomers are. We Boomers are known as "The Sandwich Generation".

First, our parents, your grandparents are living longer and their money's running low.
Guess who has to make up the difference?

Second, many of us have to look after their out of work kids and assist in paying their room and board.
Guess who has to make up the difference?

Getting the picture?

Be careful with the "Poor Me Syndrome", it's getting old.

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 07:59 PM
link   
what should i say....

lol.
edit on 18-9-2013 by whouwanttob because: (no reason given)

edit on Wed Sep 18 2013 by DontTreadOnMe because: --Off Topic, One Liners and General Back Scratching Posts--

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 08:03 PM
link   
My first thought when I read the headline:

"Help! I'm in a nutshell!" -Austin Powers.

Every generation blames the one before. I think Mike and the Mechanics said that. It's absolutely true. What's interesting is how each generation's good intentions become the seeds of destruction for the next generation. The baby boomers were all about finding their individuality and expressing themselves so there could be peace and love, man (I'm guessing that's what they were trying for, anyway.) Instead they became short-sighted and self-absorbed. Generation X bore the brunt of this selfishness, and so we decided, "Hey, this is B.S.! We're not going to participate in such an obviously messed-up society! We'd rather have passive entertainment and live in perpetual childhood!" So then Generation Y comes along, and they absolutely hate us for refusing to grow up. They're quite vocal about it too- I can't count count the number of times I've been mocked for my age in social situations by Generation Y'ers. They do not want us to be there. They are busying YOLOing it up and they don't want any doddering 40-year-olds ruining the party with old man stink. Anyway. I can complain about things because I HAVE picked myself up-twice. I dragged my skills-deficient butt to college at 35 (to much mockery by the Millennials or Y'ers or whatever they are called,) and I'm trying to carve out a life for myself after that degree got me nowhere. But I hate hate hate the word "entitlement." Yes, some people complain without trying to make it better. But it shouldn't be used as a term to squash examination of how bad things really are.

edit on 18-9-2013 by Snsoc because: typo

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 08:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Cynic

you guys had your chance to make a difference.. Your hippy movement turned into a mess... I sure as hell do not feel sorry for the baby boomers, you had better childhoods as a majority then all of us Gen X's..

Yet I am not going to join your crusade to derail and compare X to boomers man.. As I said you guys had your chance..

HELL the baby boomers were the closest to changing anything what the hell happened MR. Cynic?

Don't complain to US

LOL

It does not look good for ya man..

Anyhow I am not gonna troll so if you want to whatever make me look dumb or make it a personal outcry go for it.. Generation X, is a victim to American Society whether you want to accept it or not, I am not gona argue the case which generation has it worse, but its pretty relevant on who has it worst, since most baby boomers have pensions and social security benefits, for us pension will not happen, they were sold out to 401k and social security for us, is doubtful.. So hell no I do not feel sorry for baby boomers, and as a matter a fact most of my clients are baby boomers, and they are retired on pensions...

So you might be talking about the minority of baby boomers, but most of them sold out during the hippy days, protesting against the war machine, only to sell out to it and be part of it in the end, being part of that system..

Yea poor baby boomers..

They had their chance to make a difference, by the time generation X, could have protested the system had already made itself better after your follies....

In order to make any changes now, we have to lose something, it sacrifice something, baby boomers went in limp, and ended up neutered...

edit on 18-9-2013 by Bicent76 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 08:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Bicent76

You really don't get do you.
Rather than thank us for giving you more than ever, and having to look after you for much longer, you see fit to attack our generosity.
Sorry, not buying any of it.

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 08:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Bicent76

Well said!

They just don't understand that the world has changed and it is mainly from their lack of doing. Pay it forward so to say. The gen before them set them up to be able to set us up and so on and so forth. It stopped. With no consideration for the future just their now.

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 08:24 PM
link   

beezzer
Oh my god!

Life sucks?
(no-one told me!)

I'm a baby boomer. Guess I can get all the blame for all of life's woes.

Maybe GenX is the first "Victim" generation.

The economy sucks for everyone.
The housing collapse sucked for everyone.
The wars sucked for everyone.
Healthcare sucks for everyone.
High prices hit everyone.
Unemployment goes for everyone.

Pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and get back to making the life that you want. NOT the one supposedly entitled to you!

*big hugs*

Love always,

Beez.

Don't worry Beezer the Boomer Entitlement Liability may just be the straw that breaks the back of the current system.

We will all be broke, and maybe than we can finally get real meaningful change around here.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join