It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Generation X in a nutshell.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 10:51 AM
link   
Im a Gen X. Ive have never felt a need for entitlement given from the generation before, I understand every Generation has to make tuff choices and earn what it gets, But in this era, I find it hard not to say that Generation X got the very short end of the stick, Ok Screwed, Bluntly put. Now its up to Gen X and the rest to follow to get us back on track, make sure the Baby Boomers have retirement homes to actually live in, if thats even an option in 10 years and an economy for everyone to have a life, make a little savings, get old, retire and spend a little of that savings on a nice trip or something. But its going to get a whole hell of a lot worse before it gets better unfortunetly, and we will all of us to pitch in, in some way, and make this world the way it should be. No greedy corporate run states, we have been sold out, and its up to Gen X and The rest to stop this corporate buy up, and bring it back to the people.

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 11:47 AM
link   
reply to post by my1percent

1965 to 1980

content.time.com...

It's something like a national case of sibling rivalry, with millennials playing the part of the spoiled, naive baby and boomers acting as the self-righteous firstborn. Gordinier's book, then, is like the earnest ranting of a forgotten middle child.

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 12:10 PM
link   
I am a gen x'er and most of my gen x friends and family lived way beyond there means just to show off, now most of them are living with their baby boomer parents.

People need to pick themselves up and not blame everyone else for your own problems

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 12:20 PM
link   
reply to post by thesaneone

Funny, I know of more Boomers and Millennials living with Gen Xers. ???

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 12:24 PM
link   
As a member of Generation X, I am not going to throw all blame at the feet of the baby boomers, after all, we Gen X'ers have been able to vote and speak out for ourselves for quite some time and for the most part, we've failed to stand up and force any real change for ourselves.

Have the boomers caused problems for us? Sure, but we've also contributed more than our own share towards those problems, mostly through our own indecisiveness, lack of concern and inactivity.

We are the only ones that can change anything, but being as how we've seemingly settled ourselves in with the rest of the flock and assumed that our own destruction is inevitable, we deserve everything that we're getting (or not getting, depending on how you want to look at it).

I am not going to wallow in the quagmire in which we currently find ourselves, I plan to try to educate and mobilize people that I speak to, to take the reigns of their lives and stop playing the 'Blame Game' and take responsibility for their own choices in life and the outcomes of those choices.

We have the tools for the job (and those tools were given to us by the boomers), but no one seems to know quite how to use them properly; we need to break out a manual and get this thing fixed, and we need to do it now.

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 12:39 PM
link   
reply to post by BlastedCaddy

Spoken, like the spoiled brats that you are !
Welcome to the real world !
A-HAHAHA !

Suck it up !
Grow up !
And move on !

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 12:42 PM
link   
reply to post by kosmicjack

My friend who lives in his parents basement tells other people that his parents live with him.

Its hard for me to keep a straight face when he says this.

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 12:54 PM
link   
This is so sad. Just another front in the divide-and-conquer battle, serving the same purpose as race-baiting, religious discrimination, "takers" vs "producers," and on and on and on. Only in this case, we are being pitted against our greatest natural allies: our families. Younger generations blaming their elders... older generations blaming their children and grandchildren.

We are ALL "victims" of the PTB in one way or another... if we choose to accept that label and identity. But that is our choice. Life is not fair... we all have to take the good with the bad... there will ALWAYS be challenges in life that we must confront and overcome.

As long as we let ourselves be played like this, nothing will get better. We can stand together or fall together. Either way, it's our choice.

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 01:05 PM
link   
-I would like to point out that the anti-Boomer sentiment did not start in the article that this thread is about!
That started with Boomers who jumped in to insult and criticize.

The article itself said a few thigns about the X generation- their weaknesses and strengths, how they deal with the world... what they've worked and lived through. The only mention of the Boomers is a sentence which states the X'ers are "in between two very large demographics. "That's it!

But I guess the Boomer generation couldn't sit on their hands and even let those damn demon kids they tried to get rid of even have one moment of comraderie and bonding! Put a stop to that right now- they might join forces and begin to gain confidence in themselves!!!!!

Don't worry - that would never happen. You can't teach old dogs new tricks- we'd never have the hope one would need to actually stand up for ourselves seriously.

We just want a moment to breathe. I don't smoke anymore. But I could really use a Pepsi.
edit on 19-9-2013 by Bluesma because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 01:15 PM
link   
Sad, really.

Article comes out claiming gen y has it bad.

Someone responds to this saying gen x doesn't want to hear it.

This gets posted on ATS and almost everyone plays pin the "sense of entitlement" tag on any other generation but theirs.

edit on 19-9-2013 by daskakik because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 01:31 PM
link   

daskakik
Sad, really.

Article comes out claiming gen y has it bad.

Someone responds to this saying gen x doesn't want to hear it.

This gets posted on ATS and almost everyone plays pin the "sense of entitlement" tag on any other generation but theirs.

edit on 19-9-2013 by daskakik because: (no reason given)

Not everyone.. I full heartedly admit that Gen Y has a serious self entitlement issue and I am Gen Y.

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 01:46 PM
link   
reply to post by OLD HIPPY DUDE

Spoiled???? Suck it up???

I have been... I do well...It's the old hippies that have made it this way with their lack of empathy towards future generations and living in the now and forgetting the future. You were handed your good fortune where as I had to scrape and grind to make mine so MY kids are not suffering from your mistakes...

and yes this is me pointing and jumping around. What would you expect after a reply like you left...Suck it up, you are funny....
edit on 19-9-2013 by BlastedCaddy because: Jokes!

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 01:58 PM
link   

ZiggyMojo
Not everyone..

That is why I said almost everyone.

I full heartedly admit that Gen Y has a serious self entitlement issue and I am Gen Y.

What is it that makes it an issue?

Seems like every generation complains. Here is a snippet from the 1920's:

They found themselves expected to settle down into the humdrum routine of American life as if nothing had happened, to accept the moral dicta of elders who seemed to them still to be living in a Pollyanna land of rosy ideals which the war had killed for them. They couldn't do it, and they very disrespectfully said so.

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 02:06 PM
link   

daskakik

ZiggyMojo
Not everyone..

That is why I said almost everyone.

I full heartedly admit that Gen Y has a serious self entitlement issue and I am Gen Y.

What is it that makes it an issue?

Seems like every generation complains. Here is a snippet from the 1920's:

They found themselves expected to settle down into the humdrum routine of American life as if nothing had happened, to accept the moral dicta of elders who seemed to them still to be living in a Pollyanna land of rosy ideals which the war had killed for them. They couldn't do it, and they very disrespectfully said so.

I say it's an issue because that is the way it's viewed by other generations.. When in fact, all generations suffer from it. Gen Y perhaps more than others because we live in the "Now Now Now" era and we've been told since youth that we are all special snowflakes who deserve trophies no matter how bad we fail.

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 02:25 PM
link   

ZiggyMojo
Gen Y perhaps...

Says sit all.

So older generations falling back on worn out cliches makes it true?

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 02:49 PM
link   

daskakik

ZiggyMojo
Gen Y perhaps...

Says sit all.

So older generations falling back on worn out cliches makes it true?

The term "issue" is specifically what I was referring to. I don't really consider it an "issue" as it has probably been a characteristic of every generation up to this point. I feel that as we age, "entitlement" wanes as we understand more about life. So to an extent, everyone has a sense of entitlement and it isn't as much of a generational thing as it is a people thing. We have "generations" as a linkage to groups of similarly aged people.. The longer we age, we all change. As you said, the same things have been discussed in the past, about other generations. It's cyclical. In my opinion the youngest generation will always be the most self entitled. If societal advancement and technological advancement stopped in the 50's and things remained more or less stagnant but people continued to have offspring and create new "generations".. Environmental factors would play very little role in generational gaps and people would have similar ideologies.

Add advancement of society and technology to the equation and all sorts of strange things happen as environmental factors. These factors change the way each generation experiences their life cycle, from birth to death. Sometimes certain areas are more pronounced in some "generations" but at the core people are still people. We all go through the pangs of growth and maturity. When my generation has grown to our "Golden Years" we'll be saying the same things as Baby Boomers are today. When we're in our 40's and starting to bald, we'll be saying the same things Gen Xers are today. Of course, the variables or factors that are central to our generation may be different. We may look at the world differently now but we have access to things that weren't even fathomable 50 years ago. Environmental factors give each generation their own perspective... But the principals of maturity still apply. It's almost a rite of passage handed from one generation to the next imo. It's also easier to pass the buck..

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 02:57 PM
link   
reply to post by ZiggyMojo

How does any of that go against my statement that "almost everyone" is just playing a game of finger pointing?

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 03:01 PM
link   
reply to post by daskakik

It doesn't.. Never said it did.

I was simply responding to the comment everyone plays pin tail of blame on the other generation. I admittedly didn't see "almost everyone" the first time I read it. I wasn't in disagreement with you, just saying Hey! I'm not blaming anyone else!

I think it's just the way it is and always will be unless something creates a pretty drastic change.

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 04:08 PM
link   
reply to post by BlastedCaddy

No generation is any better than another.
Get over it !

We all really whan the same things out of life.
What generation has not blamed the previous generation ?
Every generation creates a foundation for the next to build on.
You learn early in life that you must play the game to survive.
You also learn no one is gonna slap you on the back an say good job.
It's all about , do your job, shut your mouth, and don't make waves !
Again, welcome to the real world !
Now, suck it up,grow up, and change the world for the better, because talk is cheap !

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 04:20 PM
link   
reply to post by OLD HIPPY DUDE

Suck it up... I have no choice but too...

Grow up... Very much grown...

Change the world for the better... I do that every single day cept the weekends...

You are very hostile and reactionary... I am not here attacking anyone. I simply posted an article and stated I would respond accordingly...

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join