It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Atheist/Agnostics: Please come and tell me what you think.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 06:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by ServantOfTheLamb

Originally posted by greencmp
reply to post by ServantOfTheLamb

The tricky part that you are missing is that atheists are usually fundamentalists and religious in their own right so you might as well be asking what muslims think of mormonism. Your heart is in the right place but you don't need their permission for your faith and they won't be converted.

I only want them to understand my side not convert. If they dont believe it now they will one day very very soon.

Why do religious people talk like that?

"I'm not trying to convert, but if they don't believe it soon they soon will."

If you don't believe in a magical yellow-tailed red-necked Tyrannousarus Rex with sixteen eyes, then you will one day very very soon.

I'm tellin ya bro, I can feel it in my bones.

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 06:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by RomeByFire

The tricky part that you are missing is that atheists are usually fundamentalists and religious in their own right so you might as well be asking what muslims think of mormonism. Your heart is in the right place but you don't need their permission for your faith and they won't be converted.

I only want them to understand my side not convert. If they dont believe it now they will one day very very soon.

If you don't believe in a magical yellow-tailed red-necked Tyrannousarus Rex with sixteen eyes, then you will one day very very soon.

according to my estimate 2011-2021 is time frame for the rapture. So if that doesnt turn you around then I dont know what will

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 06:26 PM
link   

If you allow me a few words,.....

I just didn't know if you thought repentance required some physical work. Do you know of any other religions that have a similar doctrine? Saved by Grace and Grace alone.

There is no such thing as being saved by belief or by grace. One is saved by character and by actions. Actions are the direct manifestation of our characters.

Jesus said that believing and calling on his name means nothing. The only thing that matters is "doing the will" of God. And by "doing the will of God", this is indeed an action, not grace or belief.

Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. Many will say to me on that day, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name and in your name drive out demons and in your name perform many miracles?’ Then I will tell them plainly, ‘I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!’

(Matthew 7:21-23)

And what is the will of God through His greatest commandment? Well, Jesus said it was Love:

Jesus was asked to state the greatest commandment:

Master, which is the great commandment in the law?

Jesus said unto him, "Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. This is the first and great commandment. And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets."

- Bible, The Gospel According to Matthew, Chapter 22:36-40

"To Love God" and "to love your neighbor" are actions, this is not grace or belief.

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 06:27 PM
link   

And once 2021 comes along and we're all still here, the date will change once again. And again after that. It's a never-ending cycle.

People have been believing the end was coming for centuries, yet here we are still.

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 06:29 PM
link   

Original Sin and the Trinity are the two most complicated things in the doctrine,

There is no original sin!!!

"The fathers shall not be put to death for the children, neither shall the children be put to death for the fathers: every man shall be put to death for his own sin."
Deuteronomy 24:16

"But every one shall die for his own iniquity: every man that eateth the sour grape, his teeth shall be set on edge."
Jeremiah 31:30

"The soul that sinneth, it shall die. The son shall not bear the iniquity of the father, neither shall the father bear the iniquity of the son: the righteousness of the righteous shall be upon him, and the wickedness of the wicked shall be upon him."
Ezekiel 18:20

"Now he that planteth and he that watereth are one: and every man shall receive his own reward according to his own labour."
1 Corinthians 3:8

"Be not deceived; God is not mocked: for whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap. For he that soweth to his flesh shall of the flesh reap corruption; but he that soweth to the Spirit shall of the Spirit reap life everlasting. And let us not be weary in well doing: for in due season we shall reap, if we faint not."
Galatians 6:7-9

Children are not saturated in Original Sin, because Jesus said;

"But Jesus said, Suffer little children, and forbid them not, to come unto me: for of such is the kingdom of heaven."
Matthew 19:14

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 06:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by RomeByFire

according to my estimate 2011-2021 is time frame for the rapture. So if that doesnt turn you around then I dont know what will

A ten year timeframe, by YOUR estimate.

Oh my.

Embrace ignorance buddy.

Peace

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 06:33 PM
link   

By the tone of this thread, I fear that you have been deceived by the wolf in sheep's clothing and most deceiving of all false prophets: Saul of Tarsus (aka, Apostle Paul).

Paul's teachings, and the teachings of his disciple Luke, are in direct contradiction to Lord God of the Old Testament and also contradict Jesus of the Gospels of Matthew, Mark, and John.

Take away the writings of Paul and Luke, and see how different Christianity becomes.

May Peace be upon you

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 06:44 PM
link   

Original Sin and the Trinity are the two most complicated things in the doctrine

Jesus Is NOT The Only Nor Literal Son of God!!!

John 3:16
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life."

Only begotten son? But I thought David was also God's begotten son:

Psalm 2:7
I will declare the decree: the LORD hath said unto me, Thou art my Son; this day have I begotten thee.

God said Israel (aka Jacob) is His firstborn son.

Exodus 4:22
And thou shalt say unto Pharaoh, Thus saith the LORD, Israel is my son, even my firstborn:

Oh no... God has an additional first born son!!

Jeremiah 31:9
"I am a father to Israel, and Ephraim is my firstborn."

Solomon is also God's son.

2 Samuel 7:14
I will be his father, and he shall be my son.

1 Chronicles 22:10
he shall be my son, and I will be his father

Adam is God's son too! If Adam was the first man created and is God's son.... then how can Israel/Jacob and Ephraim all be firstborn sons of god?

Luke 3:38
Which was the son of Enos, which was the son of Seth, which was the son of Adam, which was the son of God.

But God and Jesus said all of us are children of God;

John 10:34
Jesus answered them, Is it not written in your law, I said, Ye are gods?

Deuteronomy 14:1
Ye are the children of the LORD your God

Romans 8:14
For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God.

John 1:12
But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name.

Philippians 2:15
That ye may be blameless and harmless, the sons of God

Job 38:7
When the morning stars sang together, and all the sons of God shouted for joy?

Job 2:1
Again there was a day when the sons of God came to present themselves before the LORD.

What was that? Jesus is divine because he was born of a virgin with no father?
• Adam had no mother and no father Genesis 2:7, Genesis 1:26-27!
• Melchizedek has no father, no mother, no descent, no beginning and no end Hebrews 7:1-4.

Jesus is divine because he was raised from the dead and/or had power to resurrect?
• Elijah raised a boy from the dead 1 Kings 17:17-24.
• Elisha raised a child from death 2 Kings 4:32-37.
• Touching Elisha's bones raised a man from the dead 2 Kings 13:21.
• Lazarus was raised from the dead John 11:43-44!

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 06:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sahabi

By the tone of this thread, I fear that you have been deceived by the wolf in sheep's clothing and most deceiving of all false prophets: Saul of Tarsus (aka, Apostle Paul).

Paul's teachings, and the teachings of his disciple Luke, are in direct contradiction to Lord God of the Old Testament and also contradict Jesus of the Gospels of Matthew, Mark, and John.

Take away the writings of Paul and Luke, and see how different Christianity becomes.

May Peace be upon you

Not really I quote one verse that proves your whole argument wrong.

John 6:29

Jesus answered, "The work of God is this: to believe in the one he has sent."

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 06:54 PM
link   

Romans 10:9-10

9 that if you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved.
10 For with the heart one believes unto righteousness, and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.

I want to challenge them to find another religion in which the requirement of salvation is the exact same, or similar with the only difference being the name of the individuals.

Yes. Xtianity is somewhat unique in that it claims the need for "salvation", and the forgiveness of "sins" so as to obtain reconciliation to god through Christ. And once one accepts this lie, they are stuck in muck and mire they cannot easily shake after some time, because they begin believing they are inherently evil, and have it pounded into their psyche from the pulpit, and from their fellow Xtians. (The sheep police each other)

However, Xtianity is not unique in that it requires a blood sacrifice for absolution. Sacrifice to the "gods" is near as old as man himself I suspect. And is based on nothing tangible, or evidential.

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 06:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sahabi

Original Sin and the Trinity are the two most complicated things in the doctrine

Jesus Is NOT The Only Nor Literal Son of God!!!

John 3:16
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life."

Only begotten son? But I thought David was also God's begotten son:

Psalm 2:7
I will declare the decree: the LORD hath said unto me, Thou art my Son; this day have I begotten thee.

God said Israel (aka Jacob) is His firstborn son.

Exodus 4:22
And thou shalt say unto Pharaoh, Thus saith the LORD, Israel is my son, even my firstborn:

Oh no... God has an additional first born son!!

Jeremiah 31:9
"I am a father to Israel, and Ephraim is my firstborn."

Solomon is also God's son.

2 Samuel 7:14
I will be his father, and he shall be my son.

1 Chronicles 22:10
he shall be my son, and I will be his father

Adam is God's son too! If Adam was the first man created and is God's son.... then how can Israel/Jacob and Ephraim all be firstborn sons of god?

Luke 3:38
Which was the son of Enos, which was the son of Seth, which was the son of Adam, which was the son of God.

But God and Jesus said all of us are children of God;

John 10:34
Jesus answered them, Is it not written in your law, I said, Ye are gods?

Deuteronomy 14:1
Ye are the children of the LORD your God

Romans 8:14
For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God.

John 1:12
But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name.

Philippians 2:15
That ye may be blameless and harmless, the sons of God

Job 38:7
When the morning stars sang together, and all the sons of God shouted for joy?

Job 2:1
Again there was a day when the sons of God came to present themselves before the LORD.

What was that? Jesus is divine because he was born of a virgin with no father?
• Adam had no mother and no father Genesis 2:7, Genesis 1:26-27!
• Melchizedek has no father, no mother, no descent, no beginning and no end Hebrews 7:1-4.

Jesus is divine because he was raised from the dead and/or had power to resurrect?
• Elijah raised a boy from the dead 1 Kings 17:17-24.
• Elisha raised a child from death 2 Kings 4:32-37.
• Touching Elisha's bones raised a man from the dead 2 Kings 13:21.
• Lazarus was raised from the dead John 11:43-44!

Prime example of an atheist who cherry picks, and pretends to know more about the doctrine than the ones who follow it.

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 06:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Klassified

Romans 10:9-10

9 that if you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved.
10 For with the heart one believes unto righteousness, and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.

However, Xtianity is not unique in that it requires a blood sacrifice for absolution. Sacrifice to the "gods" is near as old as man himself I suspect. And is based on nothing tangible, or evidential.

Oh yes sacrifice to Gods is absolutely old, but show me where a God came and died to save the world?

edit on 6-9-2013 by ServantOfTheLamb because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 07:05 PM
link   

Oh yes sacrifice to Gods is absolutely old, but show me where a God came and died to save the world?

It's irrelevant. Uniqueness does not equal truth, or reality.

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 07:05 PM
link   

"Jesus answered and said unto them, This is the work of God, that ye believe on him whom he hath sent."

Step 1, believe Jesus. Once you believe in someone, you do what they say.

Step 2, Jesus said the greatest command is to Love God and your nieghbor.

Command is an order to carry out an action. You are still wrong.

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 07:07 PM
link   

Prime example of an atheist who cherry picks, and pretends to know more about the doctrine than the ones who follow it.

Oh come on, that's not very fair. You just did the exact same thing with this:

Not really I quote one verse that proves your whole argument wrong.

John 6:29

Jesus answered, "The work of God is this: to believe in the one he has sent."

In fact, every single "prophecy" that was fulfilled in the gospels was a perfect case of cherry picking by the authors. Some of them, when put into context, aren't even talking about Jesus but characters from the OT.

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 07:07 PM
link   

1. Referencing the multiple instances where people other than Jesus are called First Son, Only Son, or Child of God is not cherry-picking. Cherry-picking would be to follow John 3:16 while ignoring the multiple verses calling others Son or Children of God.

2. I am not an Atheist. Simply, I am not a Christian.

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 07:26 PM
link   

One can be a serial killer, dictator, child molester their whole life WITHOUT worrying about whether or not theyll go to Heaven. They think that they can be that way right up to the end and scream" God, save me! I repent of my sins!"...and they will get the "golden ticket".

So there are people who believe this, because it always comes up from the Christian side. Lead a horrendously evil life...and still be saved. Just yell it out loud n clear at the very last second.....and youre good to go..

PS (not me....Im saved)

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 07:55 PM
link   

I didn't say Catholicism was unique did I?

You didn't have to. .. They have already done it for you. . .. .

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 08:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Sahabi

There is no original sin

Wrong. .. .

The original sin was eating the forbidden fruit.

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 08:13 PM
link   
reply to post by ShadellacZumbrum

Wrong. .. .

The original sin was eating the forbidden fruit.

Wrong. Biblically, the original sin was disobedience.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join