It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WTF Is This Weird Web-Tower Thing? We Asked Around. No One Knows

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 4 2013 @ 11:46 PM
link   
reply to post by defcon5

It does appear to resemble fungus spores. The fencing is odd though.

Being near a research centre it may be something scientists were messing with.

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 12:31 AM
link   

You know, it's funny. We, as humans, are so egocentric that we think we're the only ones who can INVENT a new, more efficient technique.

This reminds me of the Fosbury Flop...en.wikipedia.org...

Every high jumper (spider), knew how to clear the bar (build a web)... and there was NO other way, right?

... but then Fosburyy came along... and showed everyone, there was another way to skin the cat (build a web/fortress/egg shelter)

So i ask you... why can't a "lower" species, do something DIFFERENT, and EFFICIENT
, and CREATIVE?

??????

-AJ

edit on 9/5/2013 by AJ1123TKE because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 01:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cosmic4life
Hmmm looks like Nikola Tesla has re-incarnated as an Insect.

C..

ROTFLOL!!! HaaaHAAAAAA!!!
Classic!!
Lol. There are some great comments here but that one really made me snort-hahha! Too funny.

The structure is really stunning! I hope they can get a glimpse of the tiny master builders. Very cool.

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 01:08 AM
link   
Whatever it is - it's wayyy cool!
Now I'll go back and keep reading to find out!

Thanks for sharing - I just love stuff like this!

peace

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 01:16 AM
link   
Stick a camera on it and see what hatches or comes back. What amazes me is that the silk going between the poles will not last long as bits of leaf and twig will get blown into it and dertroy it. Rather like spiders webs, which need to be renewed every day or so otherwise they get holes in them and are no longer effective. Now, unless this silk is very strong, I think that whatever built it will be along anytime soon to rebuild it. Normally these things are for catching food eiither for the young or for the mature and I suspect it is for the mature due to the fragility of the structure.

The camera will not have to be there long to find the creator. I wonder why it has not been done.

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 01:49 AM
link   
reply to post by qmantoo

I wonder why they haven't set up surveillance as well, might help solve the mystery of this mini fortress.

I suppose it could also be a naturally occurring thing where it's spores growing. Fungus has a way of forming rings. Ie: Ringworm

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 02:18 AM
link   
Could it be a mutated Tesla silkworm - celebrating a birthday ?

Haarp-Haarp-Array !!

edit on 5-9-2013 by Timely because: changed smilie

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 03:16 AM
link   
It really does look like a tiny prison for baby spiders or a moth.

Perhaps if something gets past the fence and touches the little fibers the eggs hatch early for a chance of not being eaten or something alone those lines.

Creepy cool, once again nature.

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 04:17 AM
link   
It looks like an itty bitty Dyson sphere.

It would be nice if it's creator was caught in the act of making it, maybe it's another yet undiscovered species, and it wouldn't be surprising if it was. After all it is the amazon, in such a big ecosystem even large animals prove elusive, imagine how much goes unnoticed on a smaller scale.

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 04:22 AM
link   
reply to post by TDawgRex

Strange indeed. It definitely has the shape consistent with a cocoon..and it looks like a protective fencing around it, resembles a UFO or insect crop circle....would hope they are keeping a video time lapse surveillance of it...I would have maybe even gone so far as to remove it and put it in a controlled atmosphere... any way I did a collage of it from different angles and inverted color scheme...kind of cool huh?

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 04:47 AM
link   
It's the insects version of the tv show " under the Dome! " ....they will be trapped !

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 05:08 AM
link   
Interesting. I would also think it is a spider. A moth I wouldn't have thought of. Fungus I did think of but it seems unlikely.

Insects are more clever as we think, be it that they are programmed to do so. Like the spider that made a decoy spider in it's web. Ants in general, examples:

www.youtube.com...

www.scientificamerican.com...

Hope that wasn't too offtopic.

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 05:31 AM
link   
reply to post by soulpowertothendegree

Pretty cool collage. Looks like a pair of eyes.

The fence does look like it is meant to keep things out. The only thing missing is razor wire along the top.

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 05:47 AM
link   
Who says it isnt tiny extra terrestrial life!

They could have visited before but were brushed aside assuming it was just an other moth and not the intergalactic space moth explorer!

Considering how spiders use their webs to sense tiny vibrations, this could be collecting some information some how or an easily warning system, perhaps the fence has some sort of pesticide on it to kill would be attackers while keeping the gestating eggs safe from the poison.

I wonder how long it will be till"they" figure it out?!

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 10:20 AM
link   
This is the insect worlds version of MMA cage fighting, if you had a microscope you could see all the action.

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 10:32 AM
link   
security conscious spiders.
everybody knows that good fences makes good neighbors.

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 10:39 AM
link   
My first impression upon viewing the photo was that it was an egg sack surrounded by a fence. Pretty neat. Somebody says in the article that maybe the spiders climb up the structure once hatched and use web parachutes to escape. Sounds plausible.

There's a bit of me that thinks that this may be a hoax however, why has nobody decided to cut open the sack at the base of the structure to see if anything is inside? We'll see.
edit on 5-9-2013 by Cynicaleye because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 11:28 AM
link   
Looks to me like the sort of web trap that would be made by an insect eating arachnid, but with a really specific taste. For instance, check out the little fence type thing around the outside. That could be for keeping crawling bugs out of the main capture area, which could be specifically for capturing flying bugs.

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 11:34 AM
link   
Someone got a hold of one of those new fangled 3D pens and hoaxed you all.

Source

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 12:13 PM
link   
Those filaments could be mycelial threads, I think it's a fungus. That could be determined if anyone lucky enough to find one were to cut around it to expose any more mycelia. What we are looking at could be the remnants of an even more elaborate earlier stage and may drastically change again as it matures.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join