It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Evolution Vs. God

page: 41
<< 38  39  40    42  43  44 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 12:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Blarneystoner

I never said it was just a theory. I am acknowledging the actual nature of theories in that theories are not composed entirely of facts, and are therefore not completely factual. They are part fact, part hypothesis built on those facts. That is why scientists are continually studying and examining theories, so that those hypothesis may one day be proven or disproven, thereby refining the theory itself.
edit on 20-9-2013 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 01:44 PM
link   
As soon as I notice it's Ray Comfort asking the atheists this is suspect immediately. Ask him where the kangaroos were on Noah's Ark.

Atheism is not a belief, for the trillionth time. It is the absence of it. It is not up to the atheist to disprove god. It is up to the theist to prove it.

So far, no proof.

If there is a god, perhaps he'll forgive me for not believing in him. Right after he forgives priest pedophiles at the gates of heaven. Maybe non-belief isn't such a horrible sin.

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 01:48 PM
link   
reply to post by eggman90

Seeing as Noah's flood was not global, I suppose they were in Oz.

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 01:48 PM
link   

Blarneystoner

jimmyx
you are not going to convince "god" believers or change their minds....however, we here in America have the absolute right to NOT have legislation that forces others to obey religious laws

Really? I believe in God... and I think the theory of evolution is accurate.

Which god do you believe in?

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 01:53 PM
link   

1104light

Blarneystoner

jimmyx
you are not going to convince "god" believers or change their minds....however, we here in America have the absolute right to NOT have legislation that forces others to obey religious laws

Really? I believe in God... and I think the theory of evolution is accurate.

Which god do you believe in?

Careful... I eat Trolls for breakfast.

...although you might not be intentionally trolling. That question is very trollish.

If you are really interested, please PM me as my answer has nothing to do with this content of this thread.
edit on 20-9-2013 by Blarneystoner because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 01:53 PM
link   

UnifiedSerenity

Seeing as Noah's flood was not global, I suppose they were in Oz.

No mention of that continent in the bible anywhere as far as I can recall. It would have been on the horizons of the flat earth, possibly drowning under the water rushing off it, which is how it might have worked for the Bronze Age authors of it.

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 02:03 PM
link   

Blarneystoner

Oh crap, now I am all scurred and stuff.

...although you might not be intentionally trolling. That question is very trollish.

God is a noun that applies to over 200 different known deities. How is it not a valid question?

If you are really interested, please PM me as my answer has nothing to do with this content of this thread.

If you cannot answer in this thread, then you never should have responded. It has everything to do with this thread. I am just going to guess that you know that your answer is going to destroy your credibility within it. I might be wrong. We will see.
edit on 20-9-2013 by 1104light because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 02:20 PM
link   
reply to post by UnifiedSerenity

Well it seems that your God disagrees with you.

And God said unto Noah, The end of all flesh is come before me; for the earth is filled with violence through them; and, behold, I will destroy them with the earth.

All flesh would have included any kangaroos near the edge.
edit on 20-9-2013 by daskakik because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 02:42 PM
link   

1104light

Blarneystoner

Oh crap, now I am all scurred and stuff.

God is a noun that applies to over 200 different known deities. How is it not a valid question?

If you cannot answer in this thread, then you never should have responded. It has everything to do with this thread. I am just going to guess that you know that your answer is going to destroy your credibility within it. I might be wrong. We will see.
edit on 20-9-2013 by 1104light because: (no reason given)

You can take your snotty little attitude and jump off. You're obviously trolling, this is your only participation in this thread. You saw my response and decided you'd have a little fun eh? You'll get no satisfaction from me. My beliefs are personal, my concept of God is not conventional and I doubt that someone of your mental capacity could even begin to understand it. If you were sincere you would have taken me up on the offer to discuss this with you in private.

I don't need your's or anyone elses validation to shore up my beliefs. I'm almost 50 years old and I've carefully vetted everything I believe. If you think for one second that it could be explained in a few brief bursts of text on a conspiracy website then you've underestimated me. But I get the feeling that you're not much of a thinker.

BTW - you don't get to tell people what they can and cannot do within these threads. You seem to have an over-inflated opinion of yourself to think that you do.

So... go back to eating your cheetoes and find somewhere else to be a pest.

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 02:46 PM
link   

Atheism is not a belief, for the trillionth time. It is the absence of it. It is not up to the atheist to disprove god. It is up to the theist to prove it.

I am a non-stamp collector. Not proud, not ashamed...I just am.

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 03:02 PM
link   

Blarneystoner ...you are fine ... your credibility is fine ... your attitude is fine .. your posts are fine. Don't let newbie trolls get ya' pumped up.

You believe in God and believe evolution is the answer to how we got here. Okay. Belief in God and belief that we are from evolution aren't incompatible. God can do whatever He wants and isn't stuck conforming to creation myths. You've educated yourself and come to that conclusion. I commend you on your efforts to find truth.

I do not believe in creationism. I do not believe in evolution (Natural selection has been proven but not evolution as far as I'm concerned). I do believe that we could have come here from elsewhere. But if someone was to come up with definitive evidence that we came from evolution or creationism, I wouldn't turn that away.

Bottom line ... WHO CARES how we got here? Really? We won't ever really know for sure how we got here. And does it really matter? We are here. Make the best of it. Life is short. Ya' know??

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 03:21 PM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

Thanks Flyersfan...

I don't make a habit of proselytism and trolls really rub me the wrong way. I was sincere in my offer to discuss in private though.

I'm just another trying to find my way in this world. It may be that my beliefs are a delusion that I've convinced myself are real in order to make life just a little bit easier but damnit... they're my delusions!!!
I didn't just take someone elses beliefs and make them mine. Most of the conclusions I've drawn were scoured from independant sources and multiple belief systems... I've had more than a few epiphanies as well. Studied theology both formally and independantly.

Thanks for taking the time to express your thoughts... it appreciated more than you might think.

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 03:26 PM
link   
reply to post by daskakik

You know, you really do have a point there. I will have to go study this issue and find what I can on it. Thanks for the needle.

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 03:36 PM
link   

It was a valid question, there are some belief systems that are incompatible with evolution (biblical literalists etc).

So instead of getting ratty why don't you get off your high horse for a few minutes and give him and anyone reading this thread the benefit of the doubt and go into your apparently complex beliefs.....

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 03:46 PM
link   

Prezbo369

It was a valid question, there are some belief systems that are incompatible with evolution (biblical literalists etc).

So instead of getting ratty why don't you get off your high horse for a few minutes and give him and anyone reading this thread the benefit of the doubt and go into your apparently complex beliefs.....

No.

How's that? Not satisfied? Guess what... I don't give a damn. And... I don't give anyone the benefit of the doubt.

What makes you think valid questions deserve an answer?

BTW - The complexity of my beliefs are not apparent... isn't that what you're going on about?

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 04:06 PM
link   

Blarneystoner
How's that? Not satisfied? Guess what... I don't give a damn. And... I don't give anyone the benefit of the doubt.

Well, that must be nice.

What makes you think valid questions deserve an answer?

You accused the poster of being a troll, or asking a 'troll-ish' question, for asking a valid question...

BTW - The complexity of my beliefs are not apparent... isn't that what you're going on about?

Hey you claimed they were complex, you claimed the poster in question didn't have the mental capacity to begin to understand it...

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 04:14 PM
link   

Prezbo369
You accused the poster of being a troll, or asking a 'troll-ish' question, for asking a valid question...

No, he accused the poster of being a troll, as many people around ATS has done today, because of that posters attitude. The term 'troll' fits.

Prezbo369
there are some belief systems that are incompatible with evolution (biblical literalists etc).

Common sense .. if the poster had a belief system that was incompatible with evolution .. then he'd either no longer have that belief system OR he wouldn't have had it to begin with. Therefore, him believing in a God is not incompatible with evolution.

QUESTIONS -

WHY do people think that it has to be either Creationism or Evolution? There are other ways humans could have gotten here.

WHY do people think that evolution is incompatible with a belief in God? A 'God' can certainly use any method He wants to create people. I know there are some who take the bible literally and so THEY don't think God can do anything except the old 'Adam and Eve' thing. But there are a whole lot of Christians on this planet who recognize that Genesis is a creation myth and that doesn't take away their belief in a God.

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 04:20 PM
link   

WHY do people think that it has to be either Creationism or Evolution? There are other ways humans could have gotten here.

Because we gotta go either fully rational or fully irrational.

WHY do people think that evolution is incompatible with a belief in God? A 'God' can certainly use any method He wants to create people. I know there are some who take the bible literally and so THEY don't think God can do anything except the old 'Adam and Eve' thing. But there are a whole lot of Christians on this planet who recognize that Genesis is a creation myth and that doesn't take away their belief in a God.

Evolution is incompatible with God because in order for it to be compatible, you have to rewrite our understanding of God. And that just isn't kosher. That's like finding out Superman's powers come from a regular injection of a perfected compound we've been trying to develop for years. To find out that something special really isn't anything special at all...it kinda kills the majesty. It's no longer as magical or miraculous or awe-inspiring.

The more mundane God becomes, the less he inspires. And that's something people just can't live with. When mankind fails to inspire itself, it looks to other sources. And without a deity to look up to...what do we have? War, famine, plague, genocide, theft, manipulation, rape, pollution - yeah, I can see why some people might prefer to idolize some lofty ideal rather than their own species.

I don't condone it, but I understand it.

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 04:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Prezbo369

My personal beliefs are not the topic of this thread. You've been invited to PM me if you care to find out about them. I don't care to discuss them in public and I think you and everyone else should respect that.

Have a great weekend...

posted on Sep, 20 2013 @ 04:21 PM
link   

AfterInfinity

Evolution is incompatible with God because in order for it to be compatible, you have to rewrite our understanding of God. And that just isn't kosher.

No... not "our" understanding... your understanding.

top topics

<< 38  39  40    42  43  44 >>

join