It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What did people look at before mirrors?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 27 2013 @ 11:23 PM
link   
How did people check themselves for boogers hanging out,
or for food in between their teeth,
or pimples,
or to see how sexy they're looking
before Mirrors?

Metal. Shiny metallica.
Before then?

Water. For best results, the water must be as still as possible...

I'm guessing they didn't care about what they looked like, and did not judge others.
But doesn't everyone care about what they look like? It's nature, man needs to woe the woman.
Maybe not back then. Maybe they were more in tune with nature. Like a man showing his strength.

My train of thought keeps running into
'There have been many civilizations. Millions of years throughout the past.'
Unless these scientist, paleontologist, whoever, just pull these numbers out their arse?

This is me in the morning leaving for work:

edit on 8-27-13 by Mugen because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 27 2013 @ 11:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Mugen

You may desire to study Anthropology and Sociology as it applies to current surviving primitive cultures existing in the bush.

Certainly there's some emphasis on appearance, and social chemistry, but, primitive cultures tend to attach more significance to community contribution, status, and often enough in many cultures marriages are arranged where a woman, girl, or even child doesn't have much of a say who she gets married off to.

Even today, there's forced arranged marriages of children:

Primitive cultures mostly didn't give much choice as it applied to girls, so, there wasn't as much emphasis for male grooming. As it applies to women being groomed, this was often a social task where women look after each other in styling hair, doing makeup and other such.

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 12:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Druscilla

I desire the knowledge of the universe, among Anthropology and Sociology. Yeah, i got a lot of learnin to do.

I had seen that video before, and with the knowledge you just dropped, I see a different, significant perspective. Thanks
edit on 8-28-13 by Mugen because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 12:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Mugen

Each other! There was probably a form of reciprocal grooming (a mutual behavior that is common in our closest nonhuman relatives). Your reflection in a calm pool of water and obsidian are nice alternatives.

Prior to the neolithic revolution, I'm sure humans were not overly concerned with their visage because they had more important things to worry about.

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 03:26 AM
link   
I suppose the fact is that they weren't really that bothered what they looked like, they had more important things on their agenda like hunting for food and hiding from animals hunting them. So looking for a boogie up the nose was the last thing they were bothered about.........

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 10:02 AM
link   

link

These polished bronze mirrors were used to reflect the face. They were made of molten bronze or copper. They were round, oval, square and most of the time they had a handle. If any rust developed it was easily polished new. Later in ancient Rome mirrors were made of tin, silver and even gold.

Using mirrors to see ones' reflection goes back to the ancient days, written about in Exodus and Job.

"And he made the laver of brass, and the foot of it of brass, of the lookingglasses of the women assembling, which assembled at the door of the tabernacle of the congregation." - Exodus 38:8 "Hast thou with him spread out the sky, which is strong, and as a molten looking glass?" - Job 37:18

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 10:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Mugen

Nice video, I do that too

But, I believe even Neanderthal folks had shells and trinkets they put on. I guess they looked at each other to "fix up",

I never really thought about it much though, and can't remember the Prof. bring that up in Anthropology class (except for the shells and trinkets)...

Good topic.. I'll think about it (I'm not in boxer shorts as I type this. .I have on a pair of Levis 501's and a nice T-shirt)

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 11:09 AM
link   
I'm going to say water. Judging by this amazing painting by Michaelangelo Merici Da Caravaggio called Narcissus.
Narcissus by Caravaggio (1597-1599)

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 10:42 PM
link   
reply to post by occrest

I greatly appreciate the spoon fed info.

Originally posted by RUFFREADY(I'm not in boxer shorts as I type this. .I have on a pair of Levis 501's and a nice T-shirt)

Very urging, important info. Thank you

Originally posted by resoe26Judging by this amazing painting by Michaelangelo Merici Da Caravaggio called Narcissus.
Narcissus by Caravaggio (1597-1599)

Michelangelo is a hoax. Just kidding..... i dunno enough about Art History. But seeing that painting, then seeing the date.... awe.... the skill...

top topics

join