It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why isn't the bible considered a historical fairy story?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 25 2013 @ 11:04 PM
link   
reply to post by danielsil18

Do you really think, that if god IS god, that you would be able to see through the illusion?

No matter how small you look (particles and waves), or how big you look (observable space, big bang, etc),
do you truly believe that, if there were a god, he would think to himself, "nah, they'll never notice that"?

If god IS god, then, the illusion is complete. If there is no god, then wow, we truly are one hell of a major string of lucky breaks and freak accidents.

Not trying to pick here, but both sides are starting to get annoying. (science and religion)

And to be clear, I'm still not sure what to believe.

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 01:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by rbnhd76

If god IS god, then, the illusion is complete. If there is no god, then wow, we truly are one hell of a major string of lucky breaks and freak accidents.

Why do you think we are lucky breaks and freak accidents? Why the non existence of god makes chaos?
How about we are the law of the universe. Not chaos or accidents, but the law of life. spread across the infinite universe.
There is no need for a creator, never was... life is the LAW of the universe
But humans to feel ''safe'', they have to know it all. When they can't give answers, they make some up,
GOD = UNKNOWN, MYSTERY
Is it coincidence that since ancient science, mathematics , astronomy, philosophy etc. was considered by early christians to be the practice of satan(and pagans) ,98% of ancient books was burned, and the dark ages came along.
They believed all answers where given by the god. so no need to explore the nature around.
Anyone who tried would be burn alive for witchcraft, cause no man knows better than God. Religion leaders where the ultimate political power.
Work, eat, sleep, avoid sin and worship God the Creator cause there is nothing more to life. Its afterlife they need to be focused on.
Besides the Knowing all God told us everything about nature, in the Bible (creation). He just forgot to tell us that the earth was not flat and some dinosaurs lived some millions of years before he created Earth. (?) and what He, called Heavens, was actually space with billions other stars and worlds just in our Galaxy...

PS To the Op. The ignorance of the writers of the bible, became a symbolism,
a metaphoric meaning in our days, by the blind followers of that dangerous dogma called christianity,
Guess what, we can find ''symbolism and metaphors'' in every single fiction book ever written. It is just a POV

edit on 26-8-2013 by Dr1Akula because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 02:48 AM
link   
To call the bible a "fairy tale story" is absurd, for through so many myths, miracles etc one has to understand the "truths" hidden within them, to ask questions like "How did he live to such and such an age" is relevent, but if we don't really consider the possibility of living for hundreds of years or walking on water, how exactly are we going to achieve such? You can't rule out the possibility of such feats being possible. It definitely is possible and obviously, you haven't lived long enough or understood things in their depth to know whether these so called books are just myths and fairy tails, dig a little deeper my friend. Everyone wants- yes, they want super-powers, they want to fly, and do things they see in cartoons, without ever dying. Life has much more to offer than working, food, sex, and death. There is an understanding one has to penetrate to uncover the mysteries hidden in life. Isn't it clear that understanding continues to grow as we grow older? Or experience more? Understanding has an infinite potentiality to grow and thus, to debunk everything you see in the bible, as a pointless fairy tale that shouldn't be given much consideration is the apex of ludicrousy.

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 03:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by borntowatch
Please consider it what ever you want to consider it.

Many people do think its a fairytail. so I am at a loss as to your question, so you think it isnt and why.

Or are you in some way suggesting that adherents to the bible have forced people into thinking its something they want them to think...How is that done,
Your premise is a little silly, and if I choose to believe its inerrant scripture, what is that to you.
Does my choice harm you, do you wish to dictate what I believe
Is this no more than a demand to define something to suit only yourself

Please consider the bible what ever you want to consider it.

It is the OP's intent to belittle a group in an effort to make he/she feel more intelligent or better about themselves. Its lame and for 5 year olds, because somehow the OP has written or said something more relevant than the bible. The OP has deemed it a fairy tale.

Thank science(instead of god) for the OP, after 2000 years the OP has finally cleared this up with all of his/her wisdom, its just some stupid fairy tale for idiots. What a worthless thread.

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 03:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Druscilla
People love their Mythologies.
Throughout the entire history of human History, people have been loving their Mythologies.

These Mythologies are a Psychological derivative of desire for an Omni-parent.
These Omni-parents replace the authority and magic a biological parent has when that magic of adults is lost when children grow up. Culturally, these Mythologies become the Omni-parent; always there, never losing its magical authority.

Religion is an artifact of the childhood mind to remain a child, to fulfill that need and craving for the authority of a parent.
Since these religious mythologies have been so pervasive all throughout the history of mankind, even into prehistory, these Mythologies will even show up in History, giving them historical context.
Moses may have very well been a real person, so also Krishna, Buddha, Jesus, Muhammad, Achilles, etc.
As time takes these real personalities, the stories of these very real people become heavily embroidered, either by design, or just through the old Chinese Telephone game of retelling a story over and over and over.

Real people become gods and demigods. Magical events become the norm. We love our fantasies.
Often enough, a Mythology begins in fantasy, and then annexes stories of relevance into the warps and weaves of its fabric thus giving it credibility and rooting into the real world.

Thus, yes, religions; both still alive and dead, are largely Historical Fiction. Many events and places and personalities described may very well be true and verifiable, but, the magic attributed and found in these stories are embroideries, exaggerations, and even complete fictions woven in.

That was so beautifully stated, that nothing more needs to be said.

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 03:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Knives4eyes

My friend, the time has come for you to put on your big boy pants and really think about why you choose to believe in something so irrelevant to the reality we live in. You've just answered the OP's question. No one will believe the bible is unreal as long as they choose not to question it for themselves. Historical accuracy? That book's been edited more times than Dragonball Z. There's a reason you're on this site. So you need to choose: Red pill or blue? You want to stay in wonderland or wake the pphuck up?
edit on 26-8-2013 by the sloth because: phuck

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 04:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Druscilla

Yes, I've heard that theory of the adult theist mind craving parental guidance as well and I agree. Only someone desiring to remain a child forever could allow themselves to believe in such blatant contradictions. But we live in 2013 now, not the 1500's. There's ample information to annihilate any sane person's religious beliefs. But I suppose we don't live in a sane world yet.

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 04:30 AM
link   
reply to post by instigatah

Using "Fight Club" is a low blow theist. I don't know if even I can forgive that one. But I digress. In any case, What the hell are you talking about? We're atheist. That means we DON'T believe in God. That would make us superior to demons in that we have no fear of him. And if somehow we actually were to end world hunger by donating, that would only prove that MAN was the only one who could stop it. It would only be God's triumph if he actually performed a MIRACLE to stop it; like raining fish or something. And you know God will just steal the credit if we actually succeed anyhow. Wouldn't hold my breath for the fish.

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 04:36 AM
link   
reply to post by the sloth

If you do not know God then fear is the condition. Only when God is recognized will love be known - not love for one particular person or thing but love will surround you everywhere you are.

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 04:47 AM
link   
You can't 'unwash' the brainwashed.

This thread is moot, no one will ever be a victor.

It is blatantly clear that religion is a farce, but if people want to believe let them do so I say.
As long as they don't judge others who don't believe I'm ok with it.

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 04:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by OpenEars123

It is blatantly clear that religion is a farce, but if people want to believe let them do so I say.

So it ok for you to judge? But you do not want to be judged.

Luke 6:37
"Do not judge, and you will not be judged. Do not condemn, and you will not be condemned. Forgive, and you will be forgiven."

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 08:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Itisnowagain

Originally posted by OpenEars123

So it ok for you to judge? But you do not want to be judged.

Luke 6:37
"Do not judge, and you will not be judged. Do not condemn, and you will not be condemned. Forgive, and you will be forgiven."

Millions of religious people judge and condemn non believers on a daily basis.

I'm glad you quoted that passage because it perfectly highlights the hhypocrisy that religion is.

Well done.

edit on 26/8/13 by OpenEars123 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 09:04 AM
link   

Why isn't the bible considered a historical fairy story?

None of the bible contradicts itself... Ppl can extrapolate certain things that are in the bible out of context, then say: "hey.. this contradicts such and such"... somewhere else in the bible. Sure. That can be done with any book or from any conversation where people are talking... You can make them say just about anything you want them to, if you take their saying out of context.

But don't believe me... just ask God.. The Creator of the Universe/Multiverse.... to show you -Who He Is-, and if the Bible is true or not.

Believe me, the creator of the universe has the ability, and will answer you, if you ask sincerely out of a sincere curiosity. Just don't ask some deity who says... "I am God's right-hand man", or some BS like that. Go to the source... no cheap imitation will do- because there's a Lot at stake here.

To whom shall we go? Only Jesus has the words of eternal life (not science, BTW)...

63 It is the Spirit who gives life; the flesh profits nothing. The words that I speak to you are spirit, and they are life. 64 But there are some of you who do not believe.” For Jesus knew from the beginning who they were who did not believe, and who would betray Him. 65 And He said, “Therefore I have said to you that no one can come to Me unless it has been granted to him by My Father.”

66 From that time many of His disciples went back and walked with Him no more. 67 Then Jesus said to the twelve, “Do you also want to go away?”

68 But Simon Peter answered Him, “Lord, to whom shall we go? You have the words of eternal life.
John 6:63-68 NKJV

edit on 26/8/2013 by MarkJS because: added relevant passage

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 11:05 AM
link   

Because the scriptures are written in parables to explain spiritual concepts. As Jesus said how can you understand spiritual if you can't even understand the natural first? The scriptures are a mystery and secrets given to certain chosen servants of God to teach others what they mean and what they mean to us. God works through and uses people and always from scriptures to 2013. Read Mark 4 and 1st Corin 1-2 For more light on this, God bless.
edit on 26-8-2013 by TheBrother because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 12:16 PM
link   
Have you ever taken the time to read the Bible? Or do you just believe what you hear people say about it?

If you are serious about what you ask then read it and make up your own mind. I'm pretty sure you will find answers to many of the questions you posed.

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 02:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by danielsil18
- Talking snake

- Adam lived to be 930 years old.

- Noah lived to be 950 years old.

- Noah's Ark fitting 2 of all animals and surviving for about 5 months.

- Jonah surviving 3 days and 3 nights inside a fish.

- Jesus walking on water.

This are just a few of the absurdities in the bible.

My question is... why not take the bible as a historical fairy story?

Call it what you will, but name one fairy tale that wasn't either based in some historical factual context, or conveyed a moral that influenced centuries, if not millennia of human civilization. If you want to attack the Christian Bible, why not attack the Torah, the Koran, the Epic of Gilgamesh, the Hindi Vedas, the Hindu Tripitaka, Mahayana, or Tibetan Book of the Dead? Or how about you take a jog on town to Australia and tell the Aborigines that their spoken and sang stories of the past have no place in current society and all amount to kiddy-fairy tales.

All fairy tales and poppycock, eh?

You might want to learn a bit about global history, then contemplate how these stories are rooted in an ancient past that us "citizens of the present" cannot recall on our own.
edit on 26-8-2013 by Xterrain because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 02:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by chrome413
Have you ever taken the time to read the Bible? Or do you just believe what you hear people say about it?

If you are serious about what you ask then read it and make up your own mind. I'm pretty sure you will find answers to many of the questions you posed.

I took some of my time and read 'some' Bible (both Old and New Testaments) , Qur'an as well some other scriptures for not so popular religions, mostly out of interest and as part of one of College classes (world religions).

Question is, did you read it?

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 03:02 PM
link   
reply to post by the sloth

You say this as though you were privy to an incident that defied normalcy, I assure you, you have absolutely no clue about what you consider reality.

I only mentioned the historiological evidence surpasses many other well known "factual" or what we consider factual historical events. For you to jump to the hasty conclusion that I am a religiously fueled zealot seems a bit irrational, perhaps you had negative experiences from family or people you've met based on religion. I am not one of those people, I choose to investigate subjects that I deem interesting and currently the only subject I am interested in is time travel.

If the bible didn't mention a man recorded as Enoch and his relationship with Noah then proceed to describe dimensional time travel, I would not waste my time looking.

As for believing the bible verbatim, no but I do believe much has been altered or purposely destroyed, I also think much of the old testament hasn't occurred yet but this is just my opinion.

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 03:24 PM
link   
reply to post by SuperFrog

Yes, I have.

Although I'm not entirely sure what your response to me adds to the conversation. Seeing how it's pretty clear my post was not directed towards you. I can only assume that you're trying to be cute and show off for everyone here on ATS.

P.S. It's difficult to critique something when you haven't studied it in it's entirety.

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 04:09 PM
link   

cuz it is not about fairies...
duh

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join