It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help a comic book newbie choose some please?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 11:08 AM
link   
Hi as you can tell im new to comic books the only ones ive ever read are the dandy and beano lol but im looking to buy some and have absolutely no clue where to start. I was looking at Hawkeye, Nightwing, Batman, Captain America, Xmen, Iron man ,Green lantern, and a guy at the comic book store said something about Wolverine & Xmen? Not sure where to start so id like some help please.

I dont mind if they are new or old issue aslong as they dont cost a bomb, the only comic i have ever seen with superheros is DC Universe Online i read a few pages of one a few days ago i liked the art and story so i hope you can help me choose some good comics.

Btw my budget is around £30 the guy at the store said i could get a subscription but id rather read a few and know if im fully interested in it all first.

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 11:20 AM
link   
reply to post by LvSLoLo

my recommendations:

The Secret History

Preacher

DMZ

American Jesus

There not superhero comics but those are my favs

edit on 22-8-2013 by starwarsisreal because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 11:23 AM
link   
Can someone tell me what the best comic books with the Joker in it are? i prefer the joker from the nolan trilogy but i also like the one from the arkham games if there is such a comic? And is there a comic book about someone called Apocalypse ive just read about him but the only thing i can think of with that name was in the old xmen cartoon i watched when i was young

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 11:33 AM
link   
I love superheroes!!! My favorites are:

Batman
Wonderwoman
Hawkgirl
Martian manhunter
The Question
Spiderman
Crimson avenger
Atom smasher
Elongated man
Green arrow

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 11:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Casualboy100
I love superheroes!!! My favorites are:

Batman
Wonderwoman
Hawkgirl
Martian manhunter
The Question
Spiderman
Crimson avenger
Atom smasher
Elongated man
Green arrow

Can you recommend any with a good story and artwork please?

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 11:43 AM
link   
reply to post by LvSLoLo

iv'e just finished the secret wars 1 and 2 and it was one of the best reads in comics for me in a very long time

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 11:45 AM
link   
The Dark Knight...

I stopped collecting comics a few years ago I have 3,000 stuffed in boxes lol, they became far to violent and the plots to convoluted. You can pick up some old series (at least from Marvel) digitally now I hear so maybe I will look into them again.

I used to love anything X-men related back when Claremont was the soap opera king.

edit on 22-8-2013 by abeverage because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 11:45 AM
link   
reply to post by starwarsisreal

PREACHER!?!?
Holy crap you want to get him into comics not scar him for life.
LOL

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 11:46 AM
link   
reply to post by LvSLoLo

First of all.
How old are you?
And what do you like?

If we know a little about you we can point you in the right direction.

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 11:48 AM
link   
reply to post by LvSLoLo

"Locke and key" is good-written by Stephen Kings son,Joe Hill:

Great art,and creepy goings on,its a winner.

"TheWalking Dead" is great if you like Zombies-its a different story than the TV show,although the same writers:

"30 days of night" if you like brutal vampires:

But my all time favourites come from the stables of Pat Mills and 2000AD,many great titles such as "robohunter" "ABC warriors-the volgan war" "Cradlegrave" "stone island" and my all time favorite comic ever, "SLAINE"
about a mystical Celtic warrior defeating ancient evils:

That one is called "Slaine-The Horned God," and is a modern masterpiece IMHO,both in terms of the story and the artwork-get a copy,you will not be dissapointed!!!

Happy comic collecting Bud!

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 12:01 PM
link   
2nd vote for 2000AD.

And anything with Judge Dredd in it.

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 12:02 PM
link   
reply to post by LvSLoLo

Can someone tell me what the best comic books with the Joker in it are? i prefer the joker from the nolan trilogy but i also like the one from the arkham games if there is such a comic? And is there a comic book about someone called Apocalypse ive just read about him but the only thing i can think of with that name was in the old xmen cartoon i watched when i was young

The Dark Night Returns by Frank Miller has a disturbing Joker.

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 12:25 PM
link   
Couple more off the top of my head-

"The Lovecraft antholgy" and "At the mountains of madness"-adaptions of some of H.Ps finest,in comic form.Decent if quite stylized artwork-but I reccomend ONLY if you have read the original stories in book form first-its the only way to get the best of them IMO.

Books 1-6 of "Aliens Omnibus" which continues the universe from Ridley Scotts "Alien" film.Awesome in parts,and some parts fit in with "Prometheus"-so I reckon Ridley must have read these comics(maybe).

Lots of bang for your buck with those 6-they are each about 1 inch thick.
Only for fans of the films though.

"Charlies War" is a many volumed story of the life of one Private in the British army during the hell of the first world war-its an excellent and well researched piece of work for anyone interested in that period of dark history.
The artwork ain't comparable to Simon Bisley,Clint Langley or Gabriel Rodriugez-but it really fits with the subject matter-almost as if it was drawn and written under a dug out bunker in the trenches of Flanders under artilley barrage from the Hun...

I have my eye on one when I next get some money-"Serenity"which continues the story from the tragically cancelled TV show "Firefly."
Also someone mentioned "Priest"-A friend has told me to get that as a priority,but I haven't got to it yet.He reckons its the best comic ever,but very disturbing too.
Oh yeah-They are continuing" the X files"in comics!!
I have my eye on that too.

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 12:32 PM
link   
*Ahem*

There seems to be one you are all overlooking....

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 12:37 PM
link   
reply to post by grey580

C'mon Preacher is one of the most awesome comics ever! Highly recommend it to anyone

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 12:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by superman2012
*Ahem*

There seems to be one you are all overlooking....

Are there any good new issues of superman?

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 12:57 PM
link   
reply to post by LvSLoLo

I definitely suggest The Walking Dead. It's a great zombie tale with a rich story and great artwork!

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 01:06 PM
link   
reply to post by LvSLoLo

New? No. Anything by Alex Ross though is top notch artwork and a good story. Kingdom Come is good, as is Peace on Earth.

Edit: Duh, I forgot "Justice".
edit on 22-8-2013 by superman2012 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 01:39 PM
link   
I really enjoy most of Grant Morrison's work:
The Invisibles
The Filth
Doom Patrol, etc.
Some other series by various artists:
Y the Last Man
Hellblazer
the Watchmen
the Sandman
I've found most things put out by Vertigo worth checking out.

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 02:38 PM
link   
reply to post by starwarsisreal

Most assuredly it's a great comic.
Garth Ennis is awesome.
But it's not a kids book for sure.

Now if we are talking Vertigo/DC then Sandman, Death and Books of Magic are Neil Gaiman creations that everyone must read.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join