It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I guess I am a racist and I don’t care anymore.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 11:13 AM
link   
Well, diatribes aside, as you (presumably) live in the States in this time, you are to some degree a racist. I am, too. I can't help having preconditioned thoughts about race as I've been programmed since childhood to see the obvious difference in races... thus I'm a racist.

Everyone has been exposed to racially based thought, usually negative, and that exposure puts the thought in one's mind... wrong or right, it's there.

Now the degree of racism is debatable. I make a determined effort not to let those notions and passing thoughts have an affect on my actions or make me judge someone before they even act, but by acknowledging that everyone in this historically charged nation has some degree of racism present, the resultant problems can be negated somewhat.

IMO... but I'm right. Everyone has been exposed to biased ideology and once it's in the mind, it stays to some extent. Ideas are a communicable disease.

But there IS a distinction between transient thoughts and a racist credo... so in that respect, we might not be actual racists.

edit on 8/22/2013 by Baddogma because: clarify so folks don't think I'm a nazi

edit on 8/22/2013 by Baddogma because: same...

edit on 8/22/2013 by Baddogma because: eh clarify again if anyone cares

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 11:19 AM
link   

racist |ˈrāsist|
noun
a person who believes that a particular race is superior to another.
adjective
having or showing the belief that a particular race is superior to another: we are investigating complaints about racist abuse at the club.

If this definition applies to you, you are a racist. If it doesn't, you are not a racist.

Skin color has zero bearing on one's mentality and conduct within society. The pigment of one's skin cannot determine anything about attitude or ethics.

Customs and cultures are what should be critiqued, not the shade of someone's appearance, which is arbitrary, accidental and entirely irrelevant until it contrasts with the culture it finds itself in.

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 11:22 AM
link   
Seems to me what would define Racism is the choice to wish for or cause harm to an entire group of people based on race. The inability to work, play and develop meaningful relationships with people based on their race would be a destructive form of racism. Potentially volatile at worst, and a loss of the human experiences one might have had if they could embrace differences and diversity.

The more "dicey" kind of racism is stereotyping people, and the truth is stereotypes exist because there is some truth to them...good and bad......of course people should all be judged on their individual conduct, but to say race and culture don't influence behavior is just silly, not racist.

If someone makes a broad statement about characteristics that based on observations and facts about a certain race / culture, is that being racist?

I'll focus on positive stereotypes, we all know the negative ones.....are even these racist in some way? I'll start with my own, Irish / Italian heritage.

1. Irish people have the gift of gab, fun loving, family orientated.......

2. Italian people are passionate, great cooks, artistic.....

Now as much as I enjoy claiming those qualities on behalf of myself and my family, we also can be stubborn, hot-headed, drink too much, lol...and various other stereotypes that aren't so great. Now I know these don't apply to all of us, but enough that I see it as part of who we are as a group.

If I were to say I have yet to meet and party with a black person that isn't a better dancer then me, is that racist

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 11:40 AM
link   
reply to post by TDawgRex

Which race is it you don't like? Or is it any race except your own?

Last night I was watching an eye opening independent documentary that was a real eye opener about downtown Karachi in Pakistan and how the common people are ruled down the barrel of a gun. I felt deep sympathy for the climate of violence and poverty those Muslims have to suffer in the ghettos there, torn between Taliban henchmen and opposing government, ruled by terror and fear.

Earlier today I was listening to some beautiful and gentle French-African music. I felt sympathy for all the poverty, war, disease and starvation in many African countries.

Right now I am listening to a gifted Japanese electronic music artist. Feeling sympathy for the huge Fukushima problem there that might seriously harm some of the population.

I am a half Jewish and half English music artist.

Which one of us or part of me are you racist about lol?

I am lucky because music from every culture speaks the same language and that is the UNIVERSAL language I love, can relate to and the one that speaks to me most powerfully.

If it is just the influx of immigrants to the U.S over the border I do not think that constitutes racism as such.

Here in the UK many Afro- English, Indo-English and others worry about immigration, too.

It is an issue, but one that we must solve through correct government of all the nations involved.

Before, Europe and the U.S lived in a kind of colonial bubble. We were taking from the world, from those people in the poorer countries, unfairly. That bubble has by and large burst.

I think we in the West are gonna have to get used to having less in an economically fairer world that does not exploit weaker countries. It was exploitation (expecting other workers in far away places to earn so little so we could have their resources on the cheap).

Bob Marley uttered some quite prophetic words in his music (as a developing world icon); words like,

"Fire is burning men pull your own weight".

I know what that means!

Get used to it because the tide is turning. The problems have come to our own streets through immigration and are now on our door step.

I am one who loves to see the whole human family here in the UK. The economic problems we all share and we must together find the answers (if the governments would actually act fairly and truly on behalf of the people they are responsible for and accountable to).

edit on 22-8-2013 by Revolution9 because: spelling, grammar and punctuation

edit on 22-8-2013 by Revolution9 because: grammar.

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 11:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by tadaman

yeah I hear you. I am married to a freaking mexican woman, go figure how racist I am.

I was called a racist today on ATS because I pointed out the relativity of race opinions in Europe and the US. I explained how it was basically the same thing and how its really just about human nature.

I nearly pissed my pants laughing. jajaja

here is my post from that thread.

simple answer to the question of your title ....not really related to your op...

The US is as racist as the rest of the world. IMO maybe less then other places like Europe or the Caribbean since our history made us bring our ignorance to the table and address it in some way.....

Dominicans for example HATE Haitians ......Europeans see south Americans and blacks as subhuman .....the US ?maybe we are guilty of our own issues with our neighbors but globally speaking, since we are making generalizations .....humans are racist. It is more about human nature then racism. We fear different people.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Then came the "I dont need to have reading comprehension to scold you liberal" and called me a racist for pointing out the blatant racism I LIVED through in Europe because of my dark skinned wife and being a culturally latino myself or else where in life.

LOL. The race card flew and that was that. I am a racist now FOR POINTING OUT racism and saying what I know about it.....go figure.

In the end I just dont care anymore myself. I am a minority where I am from just for having pale skin and light eyes. Do I even care when I am treated differently because of my skin? Hell no, I am not a retard. Do I care when other people feel slighted because they "THINK" I treated them differently because of their skin...NO, They may be retarded.

SO I agree with the OP, its better to not even give a damn about retards and retardedness.

Also whats with this recent concern (distraction) all of a sudden with race issues? You would think that amongst the "awaken" crowd at least that they could spot a time tested diversionary tactic when they see one.

S&F

I love you.

edit on 21-8-2013 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

Dont worry about that, that guys posts are all about race baiting anyway. What you said wasnt racist

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 11:55 AM
link   
Racist , terrorist , liberal and other labels invented by the people.

Sometimes they are used in right place sometimes not.

But it is good to be free to think about both possibilities.

peace.

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 12:08 PM
link   
i hate humans for who they are, its got bugger all to do with skin color, in fact i think thats one of the more idiotic reasons to hate someone. I think "Disciple" by Slayer sums it up nicely and imo fits the state of the world....

Drones since the dawn of time
Compelled to live your sheltered lives
Not once has anyone ever seen
Such a rise of pure hypocracy
I'll instigate I'll free your mind
I'll show you what I've known all this time

God Hates Us All, God Hates Us All
You know it's true God hates this place
You know it's true he hates this race

Homicide-Suicide
Hate heals, you should try it sometime
Strive for Peace with acts of war
The beauty of death we all adore
I have no faith distracting me
I know why your prayers will never be answered

God Hates Us All; God Hates Us All
He F*n' hates me

Pessimist, Terrorist targeting the next mark
Global chaos feeding on hysteria
Cut throat, slit your wrist, shoot you in the back fair game
Drug abuse, self abuse searching for the next high
Sounds a lot like hell is spreading all the time
I'm waiting for the day the whole world f*ng dies

I never said I wanted to be God's disciple
I'll never be the one to blindly follow

Man made virus infecting the world
Self-destruct human time bomb
What if there is no God would you think the f*n' same
Wasting your life in a leap of blind faith
Wake the f* up can't ignore what I say
I got my own philosophy

I hate everyone equally
You can't tear that out of me
No segregation -separation
Just me in my world of enemies

I never said I wanted to be God's disciple
I'll never be the one to blindly follow
I'll never be the one to bear the cross-disciple

I reject this f*n' race
I despise this f*n' place

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 03:38 PM
link   
Op, tell anyone who throws the race card into your face to f*** off, then don't forget to say God bless them.

I joined last year, and realize that this site is filled with ignorant, narrow minded idiots who try to disguise their ignorance with intelligently words or misused data and facts. There are a few idiots on this site who especially grind me, one claims she is a black woman, i won't name names (Buttercookie).

Here is something i found just now concerning the state of black people today. You can believe that this makes sense, or you can believe that this is the way black people naturally are...

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 05:02 PM
link   

Sticks and stones...........sticks and stones. I was called a troll once.............and I don't even live under a bridge. Like others have said it is an easy out.

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 07:04 PM
link   
Since Equal opportunity provided Blacks with special treatment in hiring, education, and access to government funds, then they are superior to whites. Since our government is more concerned about the welfare of the welfare system than equal protection under the law then it is racist. So if that is true then all whites are racists, because Blacks have more equal opportunities, job security, and more equal protection than whites do.

I think the government has created the racist environment in this country, and I think if standing your ground, protecting yourself and your family against the animals now classified as human, then so be it, count me among the racists in Amerika. Pass the popcorn and get me another Corona. John

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 09:50 PM
link   
I don't think most people hate another race just because of let's say skin color. Physical appearance
Is just the first thing you notice.
Whites dont hate blacks because of color,they hate the gangsta culture bull#.
Not liking illegal immigration doesn't mean racism, it means your breaking the fricking law!
Stop blaming everything on racism, pull your pants up and do something with your lives.

posted on Aug, 23 2013 @ 02:33 AM
link   

You are a grown man or woman, this "modern" society has no #ing business telling you how to live your life. You live the way you see fit.

I've had many black friends in my life, and I've seen the "it's because I'm black" bullcrap they push. And I've called them out on it every time I've heard it... using whatever language I see fit. Be proud of who you are, not what society wants you to be.
edit on 23-8-2013 by Schillinger because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2013 @ 05:34 AM
link   
You should try being me, I'm a malicious mix of multiple religions and racial conflict..

Well that's if you believe some of the idiots who have called me names on here...

I'll explain, I'm from Northern Ireland (originally) from parents who were Catholic and a protestant which at the time (1960's) was a bad mix and garnered hatred from both sides to the point that we escaped with our lives in the early hours when one side was going to burn down out house with us in it, we left with the clothes on our back and came to England.

I grew up in rural Buckinghamshire and then East London, till I arrived here I'd never seen a person of different colour to me except on a B&W TV (the irony) but I also had never grown up with racial hatred from parents so I had none of the "keep away from them Blacks" like other kids I knew had. I just got on with people, if they were no hassle to me and me to them I became friends with them whatever the colour or creed. To be honest I spent most of my life in London with Black families who treated me like a second son as I was different to the other kids.

When I was 18 I met my wife to be, she was from a Guyanese background although born here in the UK at the same hospital my daughter was. Cindy is a mix or Asian background and Caribbean roots as British Guyana is a mix of both. My in laws took to me from day one and are Muslims, I was welcomed to the family despite my dislike of all religions and 30+ yrs later we are still married and I still love my mother in law to bits.

So look what is on my plate, religious attacks from the Catholics and Protestants till this day, attacks from some because I have a Muslim wife, attacks from some because I have a Black wife, staring on the street in Asian area's because the elderly do not like mixed marriages.

YET, I still get called a racist on here at times...

Go figure!

As most know I have viewpoints on Radical Islam but unlike most I have a clear and very good understanding in both the religion and its off shoots, I chat to Imams and the radical brigade, I look at things from multiple angles and as Muslims on here who have messaged me thanking me for my knowledge and understanding while Non Muslims have done the same I think I have a correct POV and know when someone's trying it on form either side YET I get called an Islamophobe or racist by the PC Brigade.

So as you see I know your pain OP, some might say I should think that I can't win but I prefer to think that I can't lose, I won't let some PC idiot or a Radical stop my thoughts and posts, if anything it just confirms their stupidity to me.

I get religious hatred daily, I get racial hatred daily but I'll be damned if they get to win...

Fight on mate, if you are truly not racial then stand proud and just smile at the idiots and carry on...

Fight the good fight..
edit on 23-8-2013 by Mclaneinc because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2013 @ 08:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by bigman88
Op, tell anyone who throws the race card into your face to f*** off, then don't forget to say God bless them.

I joined last year, and realize that this site is filled with ignorant, narrow minded idiots who try to disguise their ignorance with intelligently words or misused data and facts. There are a few idiots on this site who especially grind me, one claims she is a black woman, i won't name names (Buttercookie).

Here is something i found just now concerning the state of black people today. You can believe that this makes sense, or you can believe that this is the way black people naturally are...

Lol! What a load of BS. Sounds like more excuses.

posted on Aug, 23 2013 @ 08:58 AM
link   

Brother -

I feel your pain. What we must do is take over that label and own it ourselves. Wear it proudly. Greet each other in the streets with cries of "Racist!" i.e. "How's my favorite racist doing today?" In that way, we shall take the edge off of the stigma attached to it, co-opt the term from the opposition who sling it as an epithet, blunt it, soften the edges, and effectively rebrand it into something else.

Take heart! the opposition is actually assisting us in that endeavor by misusing and overusing the term, seemingly as a weapon, but they are wetting the powder in their own weapon, making it blaise and of no or reduced effect already. Every cry of "racist!" flung by the opposition in times and places where it has no legitimate application serves to redefine the meaning of the term in popular culture to something less than what it meant originally.

By taking over the term as our own, we force the opposition to work in tandem with out efforts, force them to assist us in reducing the impact of the word every time they try to fling it at us.

So how's my favorite racist doing today?

posted on Aug, 23 2013 @ 09:14 AM
link   
reply to post by nenothtu

I'm doin' good and you, you 'ol racist you?
*Raises a cup of Joe to the screen*

I try to ignore it but it is in your face everytime you turn around.

A buddy of mine and I used to go to a bar every friday night after work and have a few and whoever got there first got to loudly call the other a derogatory name, to be answered in kind (T&C prohibits the greetings). Then we'd do the bro hug.
Yep, we were "That guy!"

I can't count the number of times we shut the bar up. Total silence.
After a while though, the shock value wore off and the bar crowd started to greet us in return in a humorous manner.

Good times.
edit on 23-8-2013 by TDawgRex because: Just a ETA

posted on Aug, 23 2013 @ 09:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by TownCryer
Although you may not be racist, you seem to be overly sensitive. Who cares if someone calls you a racist, especially if you're not? I mean, because I'm not a Golden Retriever, I'm not going to care if someone accuses me of being a Golder Retriever.

What do you have against Golden Retrievers?

Are you some kinda racist or something?

posted on Aug, 23 2013 @ 09:54 AM
link   
"thinking outside of the box" aka thinking in a different box

posted on Aug, 23 2013 @ 10:00 AM
link   

Yup, I have a friend like that too. Whoever got to the bar first would wait quietly and watch the door, nursing a beer until the other appeared. Immediate shouted insults and balling of fists, accompanied by rapid motion towards the other set the stage, Nearly every one in the bar would get quiet, and you could all but feel the "THIS ought to get interesting" vibes as we rushed one another, everyone expecting a bar brawl and eyes a-glued for the coming show.

The disappointment was palpable whenever, at the end of the headlong rush to pulverize one another, a bro-hug ensued rather than schmitties being thrown. After a while, the regulars caught on to the act, and it ceased to cause a stir any more. I had to stop bar-hopping, because it just stopped being fun when everyone got wise to it.

It's a good thing my opponents don't slap me with the "Nationalist" label, and prefer racist instead. Being called a nationalist might sting, because it's got that element of truth in it, whereas the racist label rolls off my back like water off a duck's back. It might sting all the more since the nation I'm nationalist about has been vanquished and no longer exists in it's former form. I'm real glad they've not caught on to my real vices. It might hurt my little curmudgeonly feelings if they had, and applied the proper label!

edit on 2013/8/23 by nenothtu because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2013 @ 10:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by nenothtu

Originally posted by TownCryer
Although you may not be racist, you seem to be overly sensitive. Who cares if someone calls you a racist, especially if you're not? I mean, because I'm not a Golden Retriever, I'm not going to care if someone accuses me of being a Golder Retriever.

What do you have against Golden Retrievers?

Are you some kinda racist or something?

Must be some kind of allergist. God I hate those guys!

Who doesn't like Golden Retrievers after all? Except them.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join