It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dolphins dying by the dozens along East Coast

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Aug, 20 2013 @ 09:04 PM
link   

The carcasses of dozens of the marine mammals, seven times more than normal, have been washing up on beaches this summer, and scientists are struggling for answers to the die-off.

It says 740 along the east coast have died and they are finding problems with many of their organs. This is so sad to me there are so many things that could play a factor in this.

www.cnn.com...

posted on Aug, 20 2013 @ 09:09 PM
link   
Fukushima, BP, various nuclear tests over the ocean.
We are poisoning the world we live it.
Even a pig dont poo where it sleeps.

posted on Aug, 20 2013 @ 09:12 PM
link   
reply to post by concerned190

It is sad and horrifying - and most likely only the beginning. Think of how much crap must have washed out to sea after hurricane Sandy - look at the ongoing BP - Corexit disaster in the Gulf (which I think plays a much bigger factor in the coast off the Atlantic). It's only a matter of time before Fukushima radiation affects the Atlantic ocean.

We have killed the Earth. And, I believe, humans are not far behind.

posted on Aug, 20 2013 @ 09:21 PM
link   
whatever it is it is affecting males and calves the most.

The preponderance of males and calves among the dead dolphins gives rise to those suspicions.

posted on Aug, 20 2013 @ 09:25 PM
link   

long term effects of a sOILed Ocean

posted on Aug, 20 2013 @ 09:31 PM
link   
In 2010, the concern was always that the oil and/corexit would get into the Gulf Stream, which runs off the east coast...seems like that maybe a culprit.

posted on Aug, 20 2013 @ 09:35 PM
link   
Humans as a species are approaching some really sketchy waters.
I dont know how much longer this rock will keep giving.
We pillage and plunder her for her resources.
We pollute everywhere we go.
We kill off entire species of animals.

The earth that has given so much to us will inevitably take back all she has given.

posted on Aug, 20 2013 @ 09:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by concerned190
whatever it is it is affecting males and calves the most.

The preponderance of males and calves among the dead dolphins gives rise to those suspicions.

My first thought on reading this was;

Dolphins discover feminism . . .

Damn you ATS and your constant race and gender baiting getting to me!

-FBB

posted on Aug, 20 2013 @ 09:46 PM
link   

This is horrible!!
Ive never witnessed something like this is Australia and I hope I don't ever!

posted on Aug, 20 2013 @ 09:52 PM
link   
*sigh*

Fukushima poisoning the Pacific.

BP oil and corex poisoning the Atlantic.

Our hydrological cycle is royally screwed in the upcoming years, followed by that will be the food chain and water tables... and the planet's ocean life is getting the brunt of this crap right now as we speak.

The circle of life on this planet now looks like the letter "U".

And the only thing our governments give a damn about is lining their friggin pockets with a carbon tax ponzi scheme.

... Ugh, I need a drink.

posted on Aug, 20 2013 @ 09:52 PM
link   
Oil...

posted on Aug, 20 2013 @ 10:00 PM
link   
reply to post by intrptr

Oil naturally bubbles up from the ocean floor, even when humans aren't drilling for it -

Corexit is the nasty pollutant that was poured all over it that's causing the worst of the problems.

posted on Aug, 20 2013 @ 10:13 PM
link   
reply to post by shaneslaughta

scientists are struggling for answers to the die-off.

If only those stupid scientists had just asked you, eh? What a lot of trouble they would have saved.

posted on Aug, 20 2013 @ 10:38 PM
link   

The carcasses of dozens of the marine mammals, seven times more than normal, have been washing up on beaches this summer, and scientists are struggling for answers to the die-off.

It says 740 along the east coast have died and they are finding problems with many of their organs. This is so sad to me there are so many things that could play a factor in this.

www.cnn.com...

I heard this mentioned on Fox a few days ago, but I don't remember that a number was mentioned.
740 ! A dozen dead would have been alarming enough, but 740? I imagine, those are only the ones that have washed up on shore.

No matter how much meditating, breathing, and chanting I do, I still haven't forgiven BP.

Fukushima could eventually change life as we know it on this planet for a very long time.

posted on Aug, 20 2013 @ 10:45 PM
link   

www.cnn.com...

As of Tuesday, federal authorities say, they have recorded 228 dolphin deaths this year from New York to Virginia. In all of 2012, 111 deaths were recorded.

"We're starting now to see lesions in their lungs that are consistent with some sort of a respiratory infection," she said. "We're seeing very active lymph nodes, which means they're actively fighting an infection."

Both Barco and Charlie Potter, marine mammal collections manager of the Smithsonian Institution's National Museum of Natural History, said scientists are looking at the morbillivirus, which was thought to be behind a die-off of 740 dolphins along the East Coast in 1987. It has been found in some of the animals studied this year, Potter told NPR.

posted on Aug, 20 2013 @ 11:04 PM
link   
Guesswork and speculative thinking. How about we wait for the official word before going tragic for the 'nth time.. blaming manmade disasters. Not saying it is not - but the ocean is flipping huge - HUGE. I don't think people realize how much contamination would have to occur to what is 70% of the surface of our planet to cause this. Or in other words, if manmade circumstances were causing this.. we the people on the other 30% of this planets surface, would be so flipping dead.

Sea creatures such as whales and dolphins have beached themselves for millions of years - indeed, prior to humans even have existed. Why? Some think that barotraumatic injury is to blame, caused by pressure changes. Underwater earthquakes, volcanoes, etc often are to blame.

I agree fully that humans are irresponsible creatures. Often in deadly ways. But every time a natural disaster of some type occurs, take the time to actually research it, instead of bleating out "omg Fukushima!" If it were causing such deaths, the beaches would be LITTERED with dead creatures. Mounds and piles of them. A pod of dolphins or whales being beached points to something else entirely.

posted on Aug, 20 2013 @ 11:24 PM
link   

I am sure there are countless reasons this could be attributed to, all of which fall square at the feet of mankind.

👇
👫
edit on 20-8-2013 by Rosinitiate because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 20 2013 @ 11:25 PM
link   

www.cnn.com...

Yeah I think you maybe rushed to the end of the article before reading the beginning. The 740 dolphin die-off was in the 80's. As dusty toad pointed out from your article, there have been 111 recorded deaths this year.

It's still a staggering number of animals to die off, even more so when they don't yet know what caused it, although I suspect that Bp and Fuki have something to do with it.

posted on Aug, 20 2013 @ 11:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Thundersmurf

Well if its from the 80's it would be depth charges I'm sure.

posted on Aug, 20 2013 @ 11:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Astyanax
reply to post by shaneslaughta

scientists are struggling for answers to the die-off.

If only those stupid scientists had just asked you, eh? What a lot of trouble they would have saved.

Actually, I agree with both of you lol!

That line sounds sarcastic, but it is more funny without the sarcasm.
edit on 20-8-2013 by darkbake because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join