It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK Government "Pulverizes" Guardian Hard Drives In Snowden Retaliation, Says "There's No Need To

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 20 2013 @ 12:51 AM
link   
There are 600+ stories on the Greenwald parter detention at the airport. Another story, less reported is that the British Government sent data destruction officers over to the Guardian to destroy their hard drives... theoretically so that the Chinese could not get the information. After being explained that there were copies outside the UK and that it is the age of information, they went about their business of destroying the physical hard drives..

Last time that I heard the government reaching this point of frustration was the book burnings of Wilhelm Reich... and now Zerohedge and the Guardian bring us this :
....a British official advised him: "You've had your fun. Now we want the stuff back."
and
One of the officials jokes: "We can call off the black helicopters."
and my favorite...
Yet that is precisely what happened, and is why the stakes have suddenly been drastically higher: because the opponent now suddenly finds himself hurt, bleeding, ready to lash out at anything and everything without regard for the retaliation, and just happens to be dumb as a bag of hammers.

[url=http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2013-08-19/uk-government-pulverizes-guardian-hard-disks-snowden-retaliation-says-theres-no-need]www.zerohedge.com[/ url]
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 20-8-2013 by R_Clark because: Grammar

+2 more 
posted on Aug, 20 2013 @ 12:59 AM
link   
reply to post by R_Clark

Yeah, it's bad - they're desperate.

And obviously stupid, too.

F^(& these imbecile elitist - I want the truth and the whole truth, from people willing to say what these bastards are doing behind our backs and with all of our money that they keep stealing from us.

Round these elitist bastards up and put them in a nurembourg cell - and just wait for these pigs to start squealing on eachother - because they all a bunch of spineless, lying, theiving rats.

Freeze all of their personal assests and let their families live on the street, like they've tried to do to the rest of us.

posted on Aug, 20 2013 @ 12:59 AM
link   
reply to post by R_Clark

Corroborating source from the Zerohedge article:

Guardian says Britain forced it to destroy Snowden material
By Mark Hosenball and Pedro Fonseca
WASHINGTON/RIO DE JANEIRO | Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:06pm EDT
www.reuters.com...

posted on Aug, 20 2013 @ 01:01 AM
link   
I sure hope they are checking those other copies outside the UK and multiplying them in all directions.

I get a bad feeling if that exchange is accurate and the reply to his snarky comment about it being the digital age was for them to go hacking away at the hard drives. That should have given them pause. It didn't. Why?

It's the digital age alright...and the Intelligence agencies were 20 steps beyond what we even knew existed years ago. I think people may have made a bad bad miscalculation by how some of this is escalating.

People have assumed Snowden saw a large portion of things. That a relatively junior former employee and then outside contractor would have had or gotten access to the inner sanctums and real heavily protected things.

What if their reaction was because we still only know a part of all this, even counting the Guardian people ..and what they have outside the UK is something the intel guys knew about before even coming over for the physical drives?

Really... this is a game I think these guys are playing way way way beyond their level of handling. They're reacting in shock to being manhandled and having property destroyed by men the world knows KILL people for a heck of a lot LESS than has happened here and do it regularly all over right now. I hope that data is safe. I really do.

posted on Aug, 20 2013 @ 01:20 AM
link   
I'd assume there are backups not confiscated/destroyed and as they want to release even more info about what's going on. At this point the Governments are scared enough to do that on top of threatening his partner, and with claims from Greenwald now, there's just opened a whole other can of worms.

edit on 20-8-2013 by dreamingawake because: sp

posted on Aug, 20 2013 @ 01:53 AM
link   
reply to post by R_Clark

"Desperate times call for desperate measures"

This level of government stupidity should be classified as a disease

Bloody idiots....

I know, how bout I delete this post after you all take a copy of it so I can deny ever writing it.

Pfffft

posted on Aug, 20 2013 @ 02:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Happy1

I find it ironic that the way you have so far recieved information is via a means where the person or people being eaves dropped on were obviously unaware of being recorded, even if over the internet, whatever they were doing, they thought that what they were doing was secure. Someone has gone to effort to get into their privacy.

In calling for less of it, but using that same thing to do so. I just find it quirky..
I know the depth of the ways the information we provide for free in places we once considered secure, has become normal to us even after the nsa/snowden thing, and people pretty much went 'meh..' as the idea of losing the freedom of communication 'right now' has as much grasp on us a television did. TV trapped the kids in a room, and spongebob droned on relentlessly for hours and hours.. now that hald held device has become a necessity, as we can't stop being online even when away from civilisation or simply on public transport.

The amount of info being sent for free is itself invaluable to marketers salivating at the pounds of flesh they are piling in. Free, without restriction, you know about it but you still do it anyway madness free. Every... Single... Person... Has... a god damned huge screened responsive phone, so maybe that's why I don't get it ha. this POS . for a smart phone it makes a great 2gb mp3 player. with a 2gb sd card. It only has 128mb usable ram inside it.

I was watching firefly episodes on the train home this afternoon on a tablet. that was nice. all those open wifis..

posted on Aug, 20 2013 @ 02:21 AM
link   
I feel Pretty!

Aww man I means this one ahaha
edit on 20-8-2013 by Emeraldous because: change vid

posted on Aug, 20 2013 @ 04:36 AM
link   
Snowden. Hmmm....

I remember seeing an animated gif of a highway sign numbered 666 with animated snow falling in the background.

I wonder if this could be related to axes and pink teddy bears or silver bees or hexagon storms on Saturns poles, earthquakes, tsunamis, forest fires or abductions and crow bar tortures of mothers.

There was a daycare facility near the Joplin tornado called the Busy Bee.

The NSA violated its own rules. Some guy showed up at a marina with a broken nose. Too old for fist fighting. I wonder what Moses did that got him denied entry to the Promised Land. Mount Sinai is on the Sinai peninsula. Sinus cavity is on the nose. NASAL. NSA. Just a guess.

The knee bone is called the patella.

Paw teller. Paw is a father in childrens slang.

The knights who say knee. A Shrubbery. Homelessness.

K is the eleventh letter.

Eleven looks a lot like the word elven. Elfs. Pink teddy bears.

I wonder if there is a connection between the silent k in knee, paw tella, and knuckles having a silent k.

Nose broken. Hmm

edit on 20-8-2013 by CatherineWheel because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 20 2013 @ 04:51 AM
link   
This is really a step up. And strange that it hasn't received more attention in the mainstream news. I'm sure that they have that data very well backed up. Seems to be an absolute act of desperation, pretty ridiculous. Behaviour like this really encourages people to expose more and more, hopefully we'll hear some more interesting stuff from the Guardian soon.

posted on Aug, 20 2013 @ 09:45 AM
link   
England/U.K. doing this, along with censoring the Internet, Cameras everywhere, fines for everything proves that it is officially an Orwellian Nanny Fascist Oligarchy. It's basically the model for the U.S> and the rest of the countries in cahoots with these desperate idiots.

I'm surprised there isn't yet a modern day real life Guy Fawkes out there tearin' ish up. Kind of creepy how dead that movie and 1984 were.

posted on Aug, 20 2013 @ 09:50 AM
link   
reply to post by dominicus

O it can get much much worse! Go to New York.........

posted on Aug, 20 2013 @ 09:54 AM
link   
So free speech is dead?

Bill Gross' take on this, manager of one of the largest funds in the world:

Bill Gross on smashing of Guardian hardrives by UK operatives

posted on Aug, 20 2013 @ 10:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by crazyewok
reply to post by dominicus

O it can get much much worse! Go to New York.........

I lived out there roughly a decade ago for a job I was making killer dough at. Would never want to go back...

the country sides of this country are the last vestiges of pockets of make-shift patriotic freedom pockets, while all the cities will quickly catch up to resemble UK Nanny state.

"Papers please"

posted on Aug, 20 2013 @ 10:48 AM
link   
I think this whole Edward Snowden set of leaks has really thrown the USA and UK off kilter.. This latest action of raiding this journalist facility seems a really foolish move.. not only are news organizations the ones that help shape your image in the public, but I'm sure they had backups.. and this flies into the space of journalistic freedoms..

Still .. it would seem going after them the way they did is like poking at a hornet's nest.

The only way I could see justifying this action ( from the perspective of the US and UK ) would be if you knew there will still leaks that could do more harm than taking action.. in other words, are there pending leaks that will make them look way worse than they do by raiding the guardian? because that's how they are framing things by doing that

And to think the big government lie/defense of this kind of thing was "If you don't have anything to hide, why worry?".. I don't think they like that line used back at them

posted on Aug, 20 2013 @ 11:00 AM
link   
They throw more salt on the bleeding wounds to stop the bleeding, One question for the Tyrranical governments, is the salt stopping the bleeding.

Its all a scare tactic, that doesnt really seem to be scaring anyone, only making the Tyrranical Governments that much more guilty looking.

posted on Aug, 20 2013 @ 11:12 AM
link   

edit on 20-8-2013 by Wertdagf because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 20 2013 @ 11:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Wertdagf

I think you are talking about a different story... you may still think you are in the Snowden thread.. The British Government detained someone for 9 hours which the Brazilian government complained had no relation to terrorism, using a law written in 2000 for terrorism suspects... now it has come out that they damaged private property by fiat at the Guardian Newspaper offices .. ie an unlawful act..

This thread is about those issues...

posted on Aug, 20 2013 @ 11:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Wertdagf

Thanks for pointing out the hypocrisy of people stuck within the two party paradigm, on a relevant note I think this is all being done purposely. Once they have set precedent, its the new normal. They know that the people won't stand up to any one of these offenses, while at the same time completely stripping away journalistic autonomy.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join