It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK Government "Pulverizes" Guardian Hard Drives In Snowden Retaliation, Says "There's No Need To

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 20 2013 @ 12:05 PM
link   
things are getting interesting! there's no doubt that this is not a dull time to be alive.

posted on Aug, 20 2013 @ 12:35 PM
link   
Do they not realize how easy it is to make back up copies? Do they not understand the capacity these days of micro-SD cards? How hard would it be to make 100 copies on 100 8gb micro-SD cards. Then, you can hide them in these neat little guys:
Link

Throw that in a jar full of change, just make sure you remember the date on the coin and what kind it was...

Hell, with a micro-SD card, you could hide it nearly anyplace. If you had a friend that was a doctor or in the medical field, you could probably find a way to implant it inside you.

Just like in the movie Serenity...

Mr. Universe: You can't stop the signal, Mal. Everything goes somewhere, and I go everywhere.

The cat is out of the bag, they can't stop it and they know this. Intimidation was their next "level". It won't work, which is why their next move will be more...unsavory.

edit on 20-8-2013 by MystikMushroom because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 20 2013 @ 12:45 PM
link   
reply to post by miniatus

Agreed. The original claim was that there would be a series of leaks and a very large amount of data. Presumably a good chunk of that data would be additional material that would back up the validity of other data. Is there more or was Whitehall protecting the nitty gritty stuff that wasn't published? Here's the editor's thoughts on the matter in regards to the destruction of their servers: Apparently, they were told to either hand it over or destroy it without regard to there being copies of the same material outside of Britain. www.theguardian.com...

The interesting part is this bit:

"It seemed to me fruitless to go through that exercise of fighting that case, which would have meant that we could not write about the Snowden material when there were other copies. So it's simply a matter of transferring our reporting to America," he told The World at One's Martha Kearney.

Now, is the man delusional or waiting for the next volley? Part of the reason why I think they've been peppering things out slowly is to basically allow both the UK and the US governments' reactive responses to the leaks, reporters, and, now, their families and equipment to become a story on its own. Considering that the Guardian released articles on media blackouts as well as journalists being injured or arrested in the US, pretty sure Rusbridger isn't deluded. So yes, they have something more but they are also playing games in seeing how far the governments will go to try to silence them. That's a story in and of itself.

posted on Aug, 20 2013 @ 01:07 PM
link   
reply to post by MystikMushroom

Not to mention how easy it is to encrypt a file and upload it to John Doe's Cloud Storage.

posted on Aug, 20 2013 @ 02:32 PM
link   
It's not just the wrecking of people's equipment, it's the detention of someone who has commited no crime. The police do have limits there, they can only detain for nine hours, unless they have a 'terror' label stuck on them, in which case, they can hold indefinitely without charge, much the same as the US and some other countries.
It is not a good sign for all of us and the future, and in reality it is creeping fascism under another name.
Here in the UK we have already had an innocent man shot dead by police in a tube train just because 'they thought', he was a terrorist, the police got away with, that's what fascism is all about.

Whitealice, this a link to the BBC interview on video, the editor also talks about the grey area that is in British law at present.
www.bbc.co.uk...

I don't it has made it yet to youtube.

Just to add, here is another BBC interview on this subject in general with another newspaper man. It turns out that Miranda is the only person out of 60,000 odd people to have been detained for the full nine hours under 'Section 7' Most of the rest were let go after a few hours.

www.bbc.co.uk...
edit on 20-8-2013 by smurfy because: Link.

posted on Aug, 20 2013 @ 03:25 PM
link   
What gets me is that the people doing these things, the agents of the Matrix, are human beings and presumably have souls and brains. So why are they working so fiercely enforcing global control policies that are destroying the world they and their families have to live in? I mean, don't the agents of these organizations have kids? How does a man reconcile these evil acts? What stories do they tell themselves when they get back to headquarters? Are they stupid or diseased? How does a man get himself to a place where he will do # like that?

I mean - are they not human?

Is it really just about a paycheck?

I wish some cops would respond.

posted on Aug, 20 2013 @ 03:33 PM
link   
I'm looking forward to the day when the United States collapses under it's own heft, and it's little doggies like the stools at 10 Downing Street find that they have no master.

A lot of Americans say that could never happen - well, how many Soviets during the cold war would have sworn up and down that their union could never dissolve?

It's only a matter of time - the writing is on the wall, as they become ever more desperate and their resources become ever more stretched.

I only hope that when it does happen, any bloodshed is at a minimum. I don't necessarily think that for it to happen a great number of people need to die, or even that lives need be disrupted, if it's done correctly.

Expressing that will probably land me on some kind of watch list in this climate.
edit on 8/20/2013 by Monger because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 20 2013 @ 03:39 PM
link   
Here's a theory: That 384 gig insurance file Wikileaks released was actually a backup of all of the Guardians information from Snowden. People the world over have an encrypted copy of it that the Guardian can redownload and decrypt to write articles at any time.

posted on Aug, 20 2013 @ 05:31 PM
link   
What I find funny or perhaps interesting is people think that this incident or that incident is so outrageous they can't believe their governments do it or are shocked no one is putting their foot down.

Look back through history, wars start and governments fall because those in power find said governments or institutions irrelevant for future plans, another words, they have outlived their usefulness. So they set up a false flag blame it on said government the they set out to destroy and demolish at the "behest" of ignorant citizens the world over.

So when will citizens learn? Probably never but if you really want to get this ball rolling, someone needs to attack all TV broadcasting stations while dressed as US government officials. Then when the people are forced to live without their precious boob-tube they will revolt. Cha-Ching

That is called a false flag boys and girls and its the only effective way to wage war. By way of deception and all that. But keep in mind, for it to be effective you need to get the people riled up so you must hit them where it hurts. Your choices:

TV
Beer
Sports

Attack anyone of them and your golden.

posted on Aug, 20 2013 @ 06:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by MarsSentinel
What gets me is that the people doing these things, the agents of the Matrix, are human beings and presumably have souls and brains. So why are they working so fiercely enforcing global control policies that are destroying the world they and their families have to live in? I mean, don't the agents of these organizations have kids? How does a man reconcile these evil acts? What stories do they tell themselves when they get back to headquarters? Are they stupid or diseased? How does a man get himself to a place where he will do # like that?

I mean - are they not human?

Is it really just about a paycheck?

I wish some cops would respond.

You could say that they think they act in the greater good, but that is a bit flippant, and presumptuous. Some of these guys are just thick, no matter the training and hence the, "Okay guys you've had your fun" remark.

posted on Aug, 20 2013 @ 06:41 PM
link   
www.theguardian.com...-52134ffde4b04c508c46390b

A VERY interesting read...

posted on Aug, 20 2013 @ 06:53 PM
link   
I guess they are doing as they think they have to, legally, destroying the hard drives so that further leakage from them from other sources is 'prevented'. However the Guardian has access to copies of every file stored outside the UK, the government knows this so I guess it is really just a show, albeit rather puerile, reminiscent of a kid throwing it's toys out it's pram.

I guess this show of ''look at the power we have'' has only served in making the public rather revolted by it's action and has incurred negative media publicity with it's ''heavy handed'' approach.

posted on Aug, 20 2013 @ 07:07 PM
link   
None of those drives contain the most dangerous and potentially damaging "stuff" that Snowden collected.

Snowden doesn't have that material anymore, it is being held as a kind of dead man switch if something happens to him, and will be then be released to the media. It may be all that is keeping him safe, and assuring his asylum now.

It's still being held, whom, where etc. Impossible to know.

Snowden wasn't that stupid.

Best part about being on the inside is acquiring the knowledge and expertise in how to evade detection and all of the NSA surveillance methods...

posted on Aug, 20 2013 @ 07:13 PM
link   

miniatus
I think this whole Edward Snowden set of leaks has really thrown the USA and UK off kilter..

It explicitly exposes just how terrified they are of what HAS NOT YET been leaked.

They should be terrified, very.

posted on Aug, 20 2013 @ 07:37 PM
link   
Originally posted by R_Clark

UK Government "Pulverizes" Guardian Hard Drives In Snowden Retaliation, Says "There's No Need To Write Any More"

zerohedge dot com

While the much publicized Sunday morning detention of Glenn Greenwald's partner David Miranda at Heathrow on his way back to Brazil, in a stunning move that as we subsequently learned had been telegraphed a priori to the US, could potentially be explained away as a desperate attempt at personal intimidation by a scared, and truly evil empire in its last death throes, it is what happened a month earlier at the basement of the Guardian newspaper that leaves one truly speechless at how far the "demo.

Visit this link for the full news article

edit on 20/8/13 by fr33kSh0w2012 because: Cleaned up Formatting errors made by R_Clark

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 03:13 AM
link   
Continuing with this thread, this morning this was posted by the BBC

www.bbc.co.uk...

I think this whole story may highlight how much US and UK intelligence are in bed with each other.... Maybe?

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 03:52 AM
link   
It is both fascinating and frightening they would use a terrorism statute against a journalist working on a story about home government...

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 05:17 AM
link   
What's left of all his electronics. Looks like they took a dremel tool to it all, including what appears to be what's left of a red video card after cutting the CPU and memory off of it. What a bunch of culls.

edit on 21-8-2013 by sean because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 05:31 AM
link   
reply to post by CatherineWheel

what is that got to do with the hard drives being smashed up

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 07:29 AM
link   
Haha. Now we see the REAL gov coming out of the woodwork - its true colours of fascism are revealed.

Whatever it is our governments don't want us to know, i'm thinking it must be pretty incriminating for them to go to such lengths as this. It has heightened mine and others' intrigue as to what this information is that they're so terrified of coming out.

Why only release a bit of info? Let's be having the lot out in the open so we can see what dodgy-dealings our co-conspirator governments are/have been plotting against us and everyone else, and jail the whole corrupt shower of sh1t for life.

Whatever it is our mafia-like governments are co-conspiring to keep concealed from us, it is so bad it has them panicking and very edgy - and we have every right to know why that is.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join