It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Post and run Ahhhhggggggggggg

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 18 2013 @ 12:35 PM
link   
Hi guys

It seems to be the fashion now on ATS to post a thread and sign off

Why ?

If you can't be bothered to stay around and reply, then why bother posting ?

OK ATS is a 24 hour site but at least give us a chance to interact in real time at the time of posting.Surely we deserve that much respect .................

Just a thought

Cody

posted on Aug, 18 2013 @ 12:39 PM
link   
reply to post by cody599

Just a thought I gotta toss in here....but I've noticed something that may really play into your issue here.

On my own threads, if it's not a topic that demands I stick around (like major controversy where I may have to ask my own thread be closed or something) I've actually found activity on it can be higher when I drop right after posting and leave it for ATS to play with...then if I hang around and 'mother over' it. Not always...but often enough to note the phenomenon.

+8 more 
posted on Aug, 18 2013 @ 12:50 PM
link   
reply to post by cody599

Some people do not have time to stick around and wait for others to reply in the thread. I love ATS personally, but it is not something I have a lot of time to dedicate to. I try to check in a few times a day at the least. A thread is something that is meant to develop over an extended period of time, so a lot of people can add to the conversation. Not just those that happen to be online at the time.

posted on Aug, 18 2013 @ 12:50 PM
link   
reply to post by wrabbit2000

Yeah I see that wrabbit

But surely it's common decency to hang around for a bit and give at least a few replies?

To help form the thread and dare I say guide it ?

Before leaving it to fall into a debauch formed by others and then trying to recover the point one was making ?

Or is it better to make a statement, run, and then come back and see if it was popular ?

If it was answer

If not................ leave it long enough it will die and hopefully no one will remember ?

Cody

posted on Aug, 18 2013 @ 12:51 PM
link   
reply to post by cody599

maybe they think their comment was not worth a reply

posted on Aug, 18 2013 @ 12:54 PM
link   
reply to post by cody599

Well, I've got two threads on new topics right now. You don't see me logging off..although I really do have outside work to do around the house. When those roll and settle, I'm off. So I generally don't leave...but when I have? It's odd that I've noticed some of those did better than I'd have expected for mundane topics.

Heck.. I don't know. It's like black magick to try and predict, outside a handful of topics at any given moment, what will take off and what will flop around like a fish in the sun. I suppose I do agree that it's at least polite to hang around a bit to insure there aren't obvious things to handle or reply to.

....after all, I have posted a couple actual threads, not posts, where I was as proud as a new parent of my little creation ...to find out it had a BIG error or some other brain fart my pride in making it had totally missed. If I'd logged right away, you'd all be able to read them and not just take my word that it's happened.

posted on Aug, 18 2013 @ 12:54 PM
link   
reply to post by thesmokingman

Very true

But if you have the time to dedicate to research then there should be a period of time you are prepared to dedicate to your thread initially

Surely ?

I can't count the threads I've replied to almost instantaneously only to see

Member was online 3 minutes ago

It's a work ethic I guess

Cody

posted on Aug, 18 2013 @ 12:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by darknewt
reply to post by cody599

maybe they think their comment was not worth a reply

Maybe some of us don't feel contributing to ATS requires that we abandon our lives to appease random people on the internet that mean nothing to us.

Does a journalist typically interact with the mindless masses that post on their articles online, or do they just post and then move on?

Perhaps, if you feel you MUST interact with someone that posts a thread, you could send them a PM?

posted on Aug, 18 2013 @ 12:55 PM
link   
reply to post by darknewt

Seen many of them

Cody

posted on Aug, 18 2013 @ 12:57 PM
link   
reply to post by wrabbit2000

Been there

Done that

Cody

posted on Aug, 18 2013 @ 12:59 PM
link   
Some people just simply don't the time or energy to bother with such pleasantries.

That's my method of posting in any thread. I don't want to sit there and debate anyone.
Doesn't mean I don't like reading your debates but personally it's not for me.

I like to make my point if I feel a need and move onto something new if I can.

Also the idea of making a thread has been lost on me ever since I realized the reading comprehension of some is just so limited it's pointless, they don't even understand what you're trying to say.
Can read the words but not understand the context. Or they come into your thread just looking for anyway possible to slander you for no reason, that really pisses me off.

My intentions are always warped by others like people assume so much about me when all they know is a few sentences from my character.

posted on Aug, 18 2013 @ 01:00 PM
link   
reply to post by cody599

nothing much more for me to add but reply so this is my reply

posted on Aug, 18 2013 @ 01:06 PM
link   
reply to post by TinkerHaus

Maybe some of us don't feel contributing to ATS requires that we abandon our lives to appease random people on the internet that mean nothing to us.

And maybe some of us respect other members enough to make the effort to take the time to read their opinion

Appease random people ? I hardly think so

2 Weeks ago My wife and I flew to a different country to meet a friend and his family I met on ATS

Look out for the coming thread

Abandon my life ? Again I hardly think so

Just be prepared to put 30 or so minutes aside when you post.

It's not a lot to ask

Cody

posted on Aug, 18 2013 @ 01:10 PM
link   
reply to post by yourmaker

Post and run in another's OK I can see that

But Post a thread and run ?

Maybe I'm just old school

I'll catch up

Cody

posted on Aug, 18 2013 @ 01:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by cody599

And maybe some of us respect other members enough to make the effort to take the time to read their opinion

Appease random people ? I hardly think so

2 Weeks ago My wife and I flew to a different country to meet a friend and his family I met on ATS

Look out for the coming thread

Abandon my life ? Again I hardly think so

Just be prepared to put 30 or so minutes aside when you post.

It's not a lot to ask

Cody

I don't think it's disrespectful to post and leave, at all. It is, in my opinion, disrespectful to tell people what they should and shouldn't do, so long as it's lawful and not hurting anyone.

And who's to say they're NOT reading your opinion? Perhaps in THEIR opinion YOUR opinion doesn't warrant a response.

I'm not trying to be rude or disrespectful to you, I just don't understand why it's such a big deal. Opinions are like buttholes, everyone has one and they all stink. I'm not here to make friends and meet people - I'm here to express myself and occasionally read something interesting.

posted on Aug, 18 2013 @ 01:22 PM
link   

Appease me Tinkerhaus!
I demand that you appease me with boudin and grilled chicken NOW!!

posted on Aug, 18 2013 @ 01:23 PM
link   
45 minutes after your thread and you yourself are not on ATS right now at all. You should not chastise others for these kind of actions, if you yourself are guilty of them imo.

posted on Aug, 18 2013 @ 01:27 PM
link   
reply to post by thesmokingman

Ummmmmmmmmmm

I never left ATS

just answered other posts

And my cut off was 30 minutes

So 50% more

Cody

posted on Aug, 18 2013 @ 01:29 PM
link   

Opinions are like buttholes, everyone has one and they all stink.

Apart from yours presumably

Cody

posted on Aug, 18 2013 @ 01:30 PM
link   
No, it says when you are offline, and you were offline, as you are now(you were last logged in 6 minutes ago

<<   2  3 >>

join