It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is Saying FA**OT as bad as Saying "The N Word"?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 17 2013 @ 12:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Bassago

OK I'll say it. Faggot , 'n-word', cracker, chink, kraut, hungy, etc. These etc. are just derogatory words used by people who dislike, hate or want to denigrate another human being based on race or nationality. Anyone relying on this form of "communication" is really in need of pity.

That's racist! Why didn't you have the guts to spell out that one word? They are not going to hurt you in this context.

posted on Aug, 17 2013 @ 12:57 PM
link   
reply to post by jupiter869

Maybe I am in the minority here, but how did this affect YOU personally? If I saw this, I might cringe a bit thinking how derogatory it is, but since it doesn't directly affect me, I think it's up to this person's parents, and peers to let them know how others might see it.

Here you are getting worked up about how this might make other feel. Let them deal with it if it upsets them. They are more than capable of voicing their opinion. Unless you are directly affected by this, which based on your question, it seems not.

I see this as a large part of the problem with political correctness gone amok. If you take responsibility for everything, then who is going to take PERSONAL responsibility?

posted on Aug, 17 2013 @ 01:03 PM
link   
Both words are subjective in perspective.

Black people say nagger, Gay people say fagg0t. They literally identify themselves under those labels.

the "Bad" would be determined under your perception of the use of the words, but mostly they are just neutral labels that outside folk used for derogatory slander of either group, that's when it is offensive.

As for this kid wearing the shirt, yeah it's tasteless but it's also what FREEDOM is all about.
edit on 17-8-2013 by yourmaker because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2013 @ 01:09 PM
link   
reply to post by NeoParadigm

That's racist! Why didn't you have the guts to spell out that one word?

The sites auto censor won't let you use the "N" word , I tried to post ------- in a post in relation to what people do when you mention UFOs and it censored that too

Censored again , here's the definition .
a sly or disrespectful laugh, esp one partly stifled

edit on 17-8-2013 by gortex because:

posted on Aug, 17 2013 @ 01:09 PM
link   
You know, im pretty sure that you can say the word "faggot" on here, when youre saying it in the process of discussing this thread.
I dont think saying it is equal to calling someone a faggot, right?

You should also be able to say the niger on her when discussing its use but you cant because the auto censors will replace it anyway.
But whatever, the left has turned you all into a bunch of "P" words anyway.

posted on Aug, 17 2013 @ 01:31 PM
link   
To all the people who claim that context is main reason to become offended, how come any and every other noun is not construed as some sort of slur?

Maybe too many people are selfconscience. Society at large may be to blame, yet its the individual who feels the perceived slight.

If you were ashamed to be gay, or black, or white, or mixed culture, or a drunk, or a cop, or a doctor, or a lawyer, or a jew, or a politician, or a roofer, or an atheist, or a vegetarian, or a cat person, or a sunday driver, or a jihadi, etc... etc... Would it not be within your rights to condemn any and every insult even remotely leveled your way?

Society takes a pretty harsh view on ex-cons, yet you hardly see the outrage over them being called names.

People hold pretty condescending views over all others. Don't think you haven't ever cursed the McD's drive through worker for being incompetent. If you want to play context, it is dang near the same thing. It is being prejudicial towards another based on preconceived notions, which may or may not be right.

If everyone were so devastated by being insulted, why so many people in the world. Or is it just hate that sustains us?

Done now, I'm going upstairs to grab some HotPockets then insult random folks on my mom's computer. Thanks.

posted on Aug, 17 2013 @ 01:44 PM
link   

Wow, reading some of these posts remind me of reading Harry Potter, "he who must not be named" = The 'N' word.

What a joke how society has become so afraid to upset anyone, that words cannot even be pronounced anymore.

I amazes me how mainstrem swearing or curse words (as you americans like to say) are. It is quite fine to say fuok, shaite, asshole, or any other arrangement of words on TV. But heaven forbid anyone to mutter c*nt, n*gger or homo.

All you precious people.

I am a rehead who has been teased and called al sorts of derogatory names, even still to this day. It seems to be socially acceptable to belittle us by calling us Ginger, Carrot top or Ranga.

If its acceptable for us to be called names, then too, it can be acceptable for all you faggots and n*ggers.

Oh and I tried to spell out the correct words, but the Political Correctness police wouldn't let me.

posted on Aug, 17 2013 @ 01:49 PM
link   

I will fist fight anyone to keep them from abusing a gay person. I am glad that people can find love in every nook and cranny.

That said, I will use the word "faggot" regularly throughout my day. I take the South Park approach to words, that word in particular. Never would you hear me utter that word in reference to a gay person. Referencing a moron? Absolutely.

I am the one who defines my meaning, no one else. "Taboo words" indicate to me that I am sharing my country with stupid people.

Its just words, people. Notice that I have removed the power of the word "fat" in reference to me. How? By embracing the term. Even though I am no longer really fat.

posted on Aug, 17 2013 @ 01:51 PM
link   
I think both words are the same level of "bad"

As in, not bad at all.

When are people going to grow up and stop crying about words. What a retarded (word used properly BTW for you word nazis) society we have become.

You do realize, if people would stop acting like the world ended for saying 'n-word' or any other word, then people would probably stop saying it? If someone wants to use 'n-word' in a negative tone, they will, and it's usually a very effective means of getting a rise out of someone.

Stop playing into that game, stop being a victim and a pawn. Laugh at people who call you a 'n-word', that will shut them right down. Get upset and act irrationally, you are playing into the reason they called you a 'n-word' in the first place.

Words are not bad, people are bad.

Just like the cliche' but true "guns don't kill people, people kill people"

Funny how a certain group of the population fails miserably at understanding those two ideas and are also the ones against "hate speech" and firearms.

Newsflash, any speech uttered with hate is hate speech. And speech cannot possibly be hate speech if not uttered in such a fashion.
edit on 17-8-2013 by James1982 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2013 @ 01:51 PM
link   
reply to post by jamesthegreat

For what its worth, I like the term "ginger". I think red head chicks are among the sexiest creatures ever to grace our planet. I use "ginger", and it isn't said to insult, just identify the traits.

posted on Aug, 17 2013 @ 01:53 PM
link   
reply to post by network dude

Wow.

I think i love you.

No homo.

posted on Aug, 17 2013 @ 01:59 PM
link   
It’s all evil crap…to demean another human being. It’s all in one basket—the basket of immense depraved ignorance.

One of the worst things that could be done to any human being is to demean them in any way, and these words, which are all symbolic of demeaning another person, are the epitome of the worst kinds of offensive act.

posted on Aug, 17 2013 @ 02:04 PM
link   

Its just a word. If we start listing words that offend somebody, pretty soon we won't be allowed to say anything.

posted on Aug, 17 2013 @ 02:09 PM
link   
What I'm seeing here are 2 different opinions. 1- Free speech. I can say what I want. That's cool but not what the 1st Amendment means. 2- Be cool. Don't offend. As in all things I think the proper way to go is between the 2.

posted on Aug, 17 2013 @ 02:21 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 17 2013 @ 02:46 PM
link   

well as Niger(misspelled intentionally) has no other uses in vernacular where as a fag in brtish english is a ciggeret and i say this while i have a fag in my mouth(camel 99) so i see the n word as worse but they are equaly bad when used to cause pain.

on paula deen didn't she say this like 30ish or something like that years ago or at least not recently?

as to the shirts i think that is covered under freedom of speech but i agree there are some tastless shirts out there any one rember the two wongs cant make it white shirts of ambercrombie and fitch
edit on Sat Aug 17 2013 by DontTreadOnMe because: Mod Note: Do Not Evade the Automatic Censors

posted on Aug, 17 2013 @ 02:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by sealing

Originally posted by wrabbit2000

What other derogatory and hateful terms should we ask about using? I mean ask yourself this...if you were gay and someone called you that to your face, would you feel it was a warm and friendly term meant to open new friendship or one of the most hateful slurs the speaker could think to utter?

I'd say it's equal in wording for your comparison. Equally low class and equally trashy to say. Basically... It's a fighting word like the other one.

Ditto.
Regardless of whose being attacked its low class to say the least.
I feel bad for Paula, it's been taken WAY too far in my mind.
And that shirt is old. I remember in the 80's the band SKID ROW's singer Sebastian Bach
wearing it in an interview (looking like a girl btw) and I thought then
what a jerk he must have been to be so famous and promoting hate.

Actually, Sebastian's shirt said "AIDS Kills F*gs Dead", a play on Raid bug spray. It was 100x worse than this shirt, which is bad enough.

posted on Aug, 17 2013 @ 03:22 PM
link   
Is this thread irrelevant ? where is the conspiracy ? why are you discussing a gay issue ? ....
aare you all queer ?

posted on Aug, 17 2013 @ 04:19 PM
link   
I think the best "F" word is....

"Freedom"

as in

"Freedom of Speech"

If somebody don't like it, then don't listen.

So There !!

posted on Aug, 17 2013 @ 04:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
What I'm seeing here are 2 different opinions. 1- Free speech. I can say what I want. That's cool but not what the 1st Amendment means. 2- Be cool. Don't offend. As in all things I think the proper way to go is between the 2.

I am reminded of the commercial of the guy surfing the web on a tablet in the first row of a wedding. The caption was, just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

I think that saying translates much father than just this commercial or even this thread title.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join