It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is Saying FA**OT as bad as Saying "The N Word"?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 17 2013 @ 12:02 PM
link   
Stupid, low class, insensitive and in Paula Deans case career ending, but words are only words, and the context always needs to be considered.

If a black person says " he's one funny nigg*r " about his friend, it's then a compliment, not an insult.

If a gay guy says " I'm one sexy fagg*t " he sees it as a positive about himself.

posted on Aug, 17 2013 @ 12:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by th3onetruth

I was under the impression that fagg0t meant a bunch of sticks? Why do people let words hurt them, I know it's more of the feelings expressed when said word is used, but still. Sticks and stones. sticks and stones

Good point. I know a gay man that uses the word faggot or fags for cigarettes although he is not English. Say the words fag or faggot in England and most will think you are referring to cigarettes. I think he does it deliberately just to make the point you stated.

posted on Aug, 17 2013 @ 12:09 PM
link   
As some have noted, words, in and of themselves, are of no meaning for good or bad. It's silly sometimes to have to return to such low low low levels of defining the basics, but then, level of debate can sometimes require bending REAL LOW to reach.

It's the meaning and intent. If someone says I love you, it's a very warm term 95% of the time. If said in a sassy way, then one of the most meaningful and positive terms becomes a negative ridicule and shouldn't be said.

As I understand it, "Fag" can be slang for a cigarette in some places in the world. Obviously this wouldn't be the same level of hateful word when used there, in that context. Offense? Why? It wasn't intended to carry any.

It's silly to suggest the word used in all it's glory in America is talking about a cigarette though and while it may be a neutral word in some cases (as one pointed out friends using it), so is the 'N' word among "friends". It doesn't make it ANY more acceptable to use outside that ..and I've always questioned using the N word in even that context.

In THAT way? It's like a 3yr old walking up and asking to use the Restroom vs. "Hey, where do I take a sh......??" The WORD isn't harmful to hear from the 3yr old...but the child's got VERY low class role models to be using it.

All in contexts, eh?

posted on Aug, 17 2013 @ 12:16 PM
link   
reply to post by jupiter869

South Park has a great episode about the F word but in this case that kid wearing that shirt is clearly targeting gay men. That's one brave kid because it's not like all gay men are flamboyant and silly. Some will beat the crap outta you. And in this day and age wearing that shirt won't just upset the gay crowd since so many people aren't homophobic anymore.

If I had a kid and he was trying to wear that shirt around I'd smack some sense into him.

posted on Aug, 17 2013 @ 12:19 PM
link   
reply to post by wrabbit2000

Is that you Carlin?
I totally agree. I'll go one further. If that is one's attitude, feel free to use it to yourself and around those that think likewise. Don't shoot it out around people that it may insult or those that think it's inappropriate.

posted on Aug, 17 2013 @ 12:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by wrabbit2000
As some have noted, words, in and of themselves, are of no meaning for good or bad. It's silly sometimes to have to return to such low low low levels of defining the basics, but then, level of debate can sometimes require bending REAL LOW to reach.

It's the meaning and intent. If someone says I love you, it's a very warm term 95% of the time. If said in a sassy way, then one of the most meaningful and positive terms becomes a negative ridicule and shouldn't be said.

As I understand it, "Fag" can be slang for a cigarette in some places in the world. Obviously this wouldn't be the same level of hateful word when used there, in that context. Offense? Why? It wasn't intended to carry any.

It's silly to suggest the word used in all it's glory in America is talking about a cigarette though and while it may be a neutral word in some cases (as one pointed out friends using it), so is the 'N' word among "friends". It doesn't make it ANY more acceptable to use outside that ..and I've always questioned using the N word in even that context.

In THAT way? It's like a 3yr old walking up and asking to use the Restroom vs. "Hey, where do I take a sh......??" The WORD isn't harmful to hear from the 3yr old...but the child's got VERY low class role models to be using it.

All in contexts, eh?

You are correct. It is all about context. I must admit, I jump back and forth on this issue of words being offensive. I have finally came to the same conclusion you just stated. It is about context. I remember getting all PC with my partner's children about using the phrase "That's so gay." not long ago. The phrase bothers me because they associate it with anything silly, stupid etc. Why can't they just say "That's so silly."?

posted on Aug, 17 2013 @ 12:24 PM
link   
not if your referring to a bundle of sticks. or simply misspelling a region in Africa.

posted on Aug, 17 2013 @ 12:27 PM
link   
Not at all op, unless the guy you're calling a fa**ot bench presses double his body weight and practices some form of MMA for fun, then it can get pretty bad.

posted on Aug, 17 2013 @ 12:29 PM
link   
If the homosexual individual is machochistic, then using the F-word as an insult, will give him pleasure. So before using the F-Word in a hateful manner, it behooves us to ask: "Are you machochistic?" If the answers in the affirmative, you can give it your best shot.

posted on Aug, 17 2013 @ 12:29 PM
link   
To me "faggots" are those who parade around professing their sexual orientation in over the top ways. It isn't applicable for most gay men. It is a certain subgroup of gay men. While the term may be offensive so is their behavior.

As for "'n-word'" again this does not refer to all black men. It refers to those with the nastiest social upbringing who can only be accepted into society by those with the same gang mentality. Most of their own race rejects these types as well due to their anti-social behavior.

To me it is the same as calling someone a child abuser or a thief, etc as it provides a broader description of the way these people conduct themselves. It's ok to be gay, but not to be a 'faggot". It's ok to be black, but not to be a "'n-word'".

posted on Aug, 17 2013 @ 12:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Khaleesi

I remember getting all PC with my partner's children about using the phrase "That's so gay." not long ago. The phrase bothers me because they associate it with anything silly, stupid etc. Why can't they just say "That's so silly."?

The next generation is always looking to use words in new ways and give them new meaning.

You "wallin" yo. That whip is phat.

Letting them change the meaning of otherwise hostile or offensive terms is part of the process for defusing those words.

Telling them to stop using "gay" "gey" or "ghey" in such a way retards the defusion process and unnecessarily fights to maintain the offensive or hostile value.

It's like fighting to keep it offensive rather than just letting it go.

posted on Aug, 17 2013 @ 12:35 PM
link   
Its all I can do to keep from laughing at seeing a bunch of adults replace words with "F" word and "N" word.
Does "pansy" fall into this list of forbidden words also because thats what the PC crowd has turned this world into

posted on Aug, 17 2013 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sharingan
Its all I can do to keep from laughing at seeing a bunch of adults replace words with "F" word and "N" word.
Does "pansy" fall into this list of forbidden words also because thats what the PC crowd has turned this world into

Its the P-word.

posted on Aug, 17 2013 @ 12:41 PM
link   
reply to post by jupiter869

Your right in the assumption that this child parents are the disease of this world.

They treat others in a way they would not want to be treated. Another shining example of the cognitive dissonance prominent in American culture.

posted on Aug, 17 2013 @ 12:43 PM
link   
I threw some faggots on the fire and then put some faggots in a pan to cook for my dinner

posted on Aug, 17 2013 @ 12:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by AndyMayhew
I threw some faggots on the fire and then put some faggots in a pan to cook for my dinner

And what better way to finish dinner than smoking a fag right after...

posted on Aug, 17 2013 @ 12:49 PM
link   

Mum's English so I am familiar with the Brit use of this. I have a theory on why gays are referred to as faggots in NA. Over there you burn fags. Here many would like to. If you put the local references in you can see the correlation.

posted on Aug, 17 2013 @ 12:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skyfloating

And what better way to finish dinner than smoking a fag right after...

Nah, I was too fagged. I went straight to bed

link   
Unfortunately every Taboo tends to amplify that which is Taboo.

link   

Originally posted by Sharingan

I tried but the auto censor didn't even let me post. Replaced with "n-word".

edit on 17-8-2013 by Bassago because: (no reason given)

edit on 17-8-2013 by Bassago because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join