It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

In Texas, You Can Face Criminal Charges for Buying a Woman a Drink

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 09:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
reply to post by jam321

Thanks for your addition. It pretty well takes the hypotheticals out of it and shows why he got the focus. He may well deserve it too.

Why though? The bartender and or establishment should have been the buffer here and instead of going after them (which would require a much more indepth battle) they go after the poor soul who probably had too much to drink themselves?

If this makes its way, it would seem that I have been and/or could be accused of offering a drink? Am I a human lie detector? A breathalyzer? Have you never seen women who "act" drunk to get more drinks cause men are pretty much idiots and think they can offer more alcohol in exchange for a better chance?

There are just too many factors and the defense has an easy battle in my opinion.

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 10:02 PM
link   
reply to post by ownbestenemy

They already went after the Bar and got 1 million in a civil suit. After seeing her on the video and just HOW falling down drunk she was, it's a shame everyone still there when she went out the door alone and obviously to drive wasn't hit with something. That was closing time and not that many there for anyone to be unaware a really really drunk woman was headed out to be a really big menace to everything she came in contact with.

Nothing speaks like video these days and that really did say it all. He bought her the last 3 it said, in that condition? Well... Why not hand the hunting rifle to a guy who has blown this top and about to go postal because he said he intended to go hunting deer with it later? Seeing it shows just how obviously it was adding to an already bad situation.

The Bar got hit, as they should have. (more if you ask me, all around), She went to prison...and it sounds like a misdemeanor for him at worst. That's not much for what happened.

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 10:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Then why not go after the patrons left at the bar for allowing her to leave? Do you see where I am going with this? Where do we draw the line of responsibility?

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 10:05 PM
link   

Like I said.. They should have. Given that display of sloppy drunk? She was as I first suspected by the level of charges all around. So drunk, she needed a medic, not apathy as she walked out to drive. There's a line where it's actually a health hazard of the immediate variety...and she looked close enough to wonder what people were thinking.

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 10:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000

Like I said.. They should have. Given that display of sloppy drunk? She was as I first suspected by the level of charges all around. So drunk, she needed a medic, not apathy as she walked out to drive. There's a line where it's actually a health hazard of the immediate variety...and she looked close enough to wonder what people were thinking.

I am not defending her drunkenness but is it the responsibility of the patrons of an establishment to detain someone on assumed safety related incidents? Morally? Absolutely someone should have mentioned it to at least the tender at the time. Legally? Nope. To say otherwise places anyone and everyone under the guise of legal responsibility in not only a tavern type situation but also say a liqueur store getting robbed or a fast-food joint feeding an "obviously" obese person food.

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 10:24 PM
link   

It's not legally a duty of the patrons. By law, they have no responsibility. The server or bartender can be responsible in some states and it's unusual to hear about someone 3rd party buying having a blame. However, not at all unprecedented.

Most states impose liability on social hosts where:

* Alcohol is served to a minor

* The host was reckless in serving alcohol or should have recognized the extent of the guest's intoxication and not served him or her more alcohol

- Also considered is if a host is "reckless" in serving alcohol will always be a factual issue to be decided by a judge or jury. A social host should never serve a minor or encourage guests to drink excessively.
Source

Now there is no minor involved here but the other side of it is something I've always assumed applied when at a party or having something at my place. I'd also assume by how the law can be ...flexible at times... "Host" could be defined with some liberal thinking. It could also be suggested that by being the one to get her last 3, he was the more sober face the distracted bartender saw to serve to, hence the only way she got the last 3. I'm just thinking technical argument on that one.

It seems an interesting one to follow, to be sure.

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 10:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Agreed but legally I just cannot see how he can be held responsible. Sure to follow this one and levy my exacting opinion (as it is known to be) on it. Always a pleasure Wrabbit.

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 10:38 PM
link   
How can some of you be defending this?

She is an adult, she chose to keep drinking when she knew she was driving

Nobody forced her to drink that much..

It was her responsibility to get a ride home, call someone to come get you, call a firkin cab or walk home.

Lots of us have been so drunk we had to grab the grass to keep from falling off the earth, I know I have.but

how many of you tried to drive home when you were that wasted.?

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 10:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by goou111

Lets see...IP logged? Yep....With Verizon? Yep....Admit to a crime on the internet? No way in hell.

Agreed to your post though and though this rhetorical question was funny enough to highlight....

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 10:54 PM
link   
reply to post by goou111

OK, maybe a few times... on back roads in the middle of the night with no traffic... statutes of limitations are wonderful things.

TheRedneck

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 11:08 PM
link   
This is so nuts, I wish I could flag this thread 100 times lol

How can it be? They got the person responsible,

I don't understand why they would even look to charge this guy, the girl already lied about someone slipping drugs in her drink

If I go to a bar I;m gonna drink, and if I drink I;m going to get inebriated, and when I get that liquid courage in me I'm going to hit on women, .and when I hit on women I'm going to buy them a drink.

Most of the time bars are dark and very loud so how can it be my responsibility when I;m drunk too.

I can almost understand the bar being responsible for continuing to serve her but only because the bartenders and waitresses are not drunk(at least not suppose to be) and should be able to tell.

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 11:11 PM
link   
reply to post by TheRedneck

Reminds me of what I was "taught" by my military instructor: "You always answer two beers, Your first and your last. That is all. You are not lying".

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 12:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Iamschist

So your saying that a bartender has to watch over 20 people at one time with load noise and somehow decide that hey this person doesnt have a designated driver or is taking a taxi. Drinking a driving is illegal and for good reason but to say because they bought liquor at an establishment you work at your responsible is a stupid idea even more so for someone that doesnt work there. Grown people make there own choices if they mess up and kill people its on them. Thats like saying if you go hunting with Dick Chaney that it was your fault he shot someone because you bought a couple of the drinks.

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 12:35 AM
link   
His defense is easy:

1) He was too drunk to realize what was happening.

2) He is not a doctor; he thought she was swaying to the music

3) He is not a LEO, and is not trained to estimate someone's sobriety

4) He "tried to verbally detain her," but she said she'd charge him with kidnapping/assault if he touched her.

5) He complained to the patrons, but no one did anything.

6) She said she was going outside to pee in the parking lot, and that if he followed she have him arrested.

7) She made a terroristic threat, and he was afraid for his own safety, since he believed she had a gun.

Honestly, I don' think this'll go anywhere. A DA wants to position himself as "tough on drunk drivers" and he using this peasant to do it. I expect it'd be no-billed. Well it would be, anyplace but Houston...

edit on 8-8-2013 by tovenar because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 12:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by goou111
What? How about making people responsible for their own actions.

You know when you have had to much to drink and shouldn't be driving

Next they will be holding bars and liquor stores responsible..

That's the problem...

We've turned into the "EXCUSE" society
No one has to accept responsibility for their actions any more.
It's the other person's fault...."They made me do it" excuse.

The woman was probably enjoying the FREE drinks he/they were buying her.
All she had to do was say NO.

Since the bar was found responsible, that should be the end of it.

edit on 8-8-2013 by snarky412 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 01:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Iamschist

It's no ones fault but the womans. Women want equal treatment ... until it's given to them.

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 02:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by tovenar
His defense is easy:

1) He was too drunk to realize what was happening.

...because now HE can avoid personal responsibility and claim that its the bar's fault for letting him get so drunk that he's buy drinks for other people.

He cant lose. He already has the exact precedent from the woman on that very same night.

edit on 8-8-2013 by alfa1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 03:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Iamschist
reply to post by winofiend

Getting someone massively intoxicated and then allowing them to walk or stagger away and go drive is not ok. I hope they nail him.
i dont ... i dont wanna be responsible for your irresponsibleness im not your parent and your probly older than the legal age sooooo.....
TO EACH THEIR OWN!!!!!

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 03:38 AM
link   

Why is alcohol even needed to "seduce" a woman? What ever happened to conversation, snappy repartee, flirting, dancing? A great personality? How about buying her a cup of coffee, or a non alcoholic beverage? If you know people who have that kind of tolerance for large quantities of liquor, I would see that as a problem and I would worry for my friend..

Well, Lets forget about the rest of the world and live under your house rules.

In bed by 6pm and if you put anything other than 1 tspn of sugar in your tea, it's out with the emetics.

None of that around here, I say!

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 06:36 AM
link   

Don't expect sympathy because a man thinks the way to court a woman is by getting her drunk, Excuse me? I think the bartender also should be prosecuted, just so you know. Given the number of people killed or maimed by drunk drivers every year, the penalties may not be harsh enough imho.

How about putting the driver behind bars! After all NOBODY forced the sober driver to drive to a bar (step 1 ), buy a drink whilst sober (step2), consume the drink (step3), buy another drink whilst still sober and within the limit (step 4), consume second drink (step 5) etc etc. By no stretch of the imagination can it be the bar tenders responsibility.

THE DRIVER WAS SOBER WHEN PURCHSING THE FIRST DRINK THE DRIVER IS SOLELY GUILTY.

PS.

This is typical of the world we live in. People screw up and instantly try and find a.n.other to blame. Lawyers love this becasue they can make money out of idiots who support this sloping shoulder mentality.
edit on 8/8/2013 by yorkshirelad because: PS

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join