It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Just 1.4 percent to save humanity by going into Space

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 02:28 AM
link   
The GDP of Earth is 70 trillion US Dollars.

If each country would give just 1.4 percent of their annual GDP, humanity would have 1 trillion dollars per year to spend on space travel.

It is my thought that humanity is one big pyramid scheme. If we're not growing, we're collapsing. Humanity needs to go to space for survival. First to our solar system then beyond.

I am inspired by the engineer who developed the website "Build the Enterprise". I know some disagree with the inefficient form that he chose, but I think the shape of the ship is secondary to what humanity can do if we pooled those resources.

Within a hundred years or sooner, we could be venturing out to Alpha-Centauri and beyond and discovering Earth-like planets for humanity to colonize. Not only would that help ease the suffering on our world, but we would continue to explore.

Humanity needs to explore to save itself. Imagine all the technology that we could develop and use if we had that much money. Humanity needs to get off of this rock and explore.

Imagine if we didn't have the Dark Ages. Hundreds of years of stymied growth from the 5th c. ad to 15th c. ad. A thousand years. If we didn't have that, imagine where we'd be now. Could we have had the moon landing by the year 900 ad if we didn't have the Dark Ages.

Well, sadly, I think we have entered a new Dark Age of politics, war, and greed. And, Humanity won't do well unless we explore into outer space.

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 02:47 AM
link   
the only way this epic plan will "ease the suffering " as you put it ,will be because the 'leavers ' ( as they will now be known as) wont be here to see it .
and their cash savings wont be worth jack in the new world
. I say stay here and plant a tree instead of having that 3rd double cheeseburger

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 03:10 AM
link   
Unfortunately a lot of humans are more concerned about how many guns they can store in the basement for "protection", the amount of nukes other countries have and enslaving their people. We're not going to Alpha Centauri soon, but we'll go down the drain with a dystopian future filled with war and hate. World will take a leap, we'll actually manage to kill ourselves.

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 03:28 AM
link   
All that time and money and feel-good tax-and-spend politics
/head shake
and let me ask you
does the world have that broken look to you?
and
is this what happens ...
when you KILL PEOPLES DREAMS!

From flight to the first moon landing
happened WITHIN the life span of my great grandmother.
She remembered the wright brothers, and the first powered flight EVER.
Before she passed at 96 I got to talk with her about the moon landing.

It is not easy to be America,
but we got this country by the grace of God
and went straight to the moon.

Sure,
we have partying and celebrating for the last three generations,
but we're sobering up,
and we're getting back to work.

You wana quit being a whiner
and actually help these billions of people?
Space is a big goddamn place,
and has room for tons of dreams.

/frisking bitchin about guns-in-the-basement
What a talking-point-tard.

Mike

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 04:49 AM
link   
reply to post by mikegrouchy

The funny thing is you feel so attacked by my comment. Why do you think I'm talking about the US? Actually I was talking about all the nations, it's ridiculous that people only have concerns about themselves. If we lived in peace and with honesty the world would be a much better place.

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 06:01 AM
link   
reply to post by jawnaw2000

you can't get through the Van Allen belts. Plus as little as 8 months in space and you can't walk or move when you're back on earth or back into gravity. So all that's left for space is space tourism. that's it.

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 07:51 AM
link   
reply to post by jawnaw2000

If we're not growing, we're collapsing. Humanity needs to go to space for survival

oooor...we should stop growing for a while...don't you think ? We are spawning like jack rabbits...and our answer is...look for another place to overpopulate in a few thousand years.

Instead...why not try some benign population control...like...let's agree that having 3 kids is just about enough for everybody. But I guess it's too late for that one...

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 12:19 PM
link   
reply to post by MarioOnTheFly

I don't think population control is the answer. Nat Geo had an article to comemmorate the 7 billionth person. They said that if everyone was given 6 or 9 sqft to stand in, that the entire human species could fit in the greater Los Angeles area.

Wow! Only the LA area. Now that doesn't even include building upward or utilizing the oceans to live. There is plenty of space and resources for everyone. Look at how much food and water the developed countries waste.

But, in terms of growth, the human species must grow. It must expand.

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 01:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by jawnaw2000
reply to post by MarioOnTheFly

I don't think population control is the answer. Nat Geo had an article to comemmorate the 7 billionth person. They said that if everyone was given 6 or 9 sqft to stand in, that the entire human species could fit in the greater Los Angeles area.

Wow! Only the LA area. Now that doesn't even include building upward or utilizing the oceans to live. There is plenty of space and resources for everyone. Look at how much food and water the developed countries waste.

But, in terms of growth, the human species must grow. It must expand.

but constant growth only breeds more and more problems. The larger the population, more difficult is to control or make everyone happy. Smaller communities are always easier to govern.

Why do you feel we must constantly grow ? Our survival as a species is not in danger anymore....we have procreated enough to ensure we survive.

They said that if everyone was given 6 or 9 sqft to stand in

that's rather plastic...how many Americans would want to live in 9 sqft ? Perhaps in Japan....

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 05:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by jawnaw2000
It is my thought that humanity is one big pyramid scheme. If we're not growing, we're collapsing.

Hence the fall of ancient Egypt...
Sorry, couldn't help it.

top topics

join