It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Eric Holder Demands Government Supervision of Apple's Itunes & App Store

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 05:47 PM
link   

ERIC HOLDER DEMANDS GOVERNMENT SUPERVISION OF APPLE'S ITUNES & APP STORES

benswann.com

The mega company currently gets 30 percent commission for any e-books sold on an Apple Store App. According to the Wall Street Journal, the DOJ is pushing for Amazon.com to be able to sell e-books on Apple Apps without the 30 percent commission.

(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 8/5/2013 by tothetenthpower because: --Mod Edit--All caps, don't use em

edit on Mon Aug 5 2013 by DontTreadOnMe because: try again

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 05:47 PM
link   
wonder what other industries he wants to "supervise"? I am not a fan of Apple but I hope they win this one, the government should stay out of personal business decisions, and Amazon has their own site they can sell books on. I don't even think this is legal, I hope the judge denies this right off the bat, It could send a dangerous message to other companies if this is let through.

Amazon apparently donated $100,000 to *Obama*. and I'm not sure how much Apple donated.

benswann.com
edit on Mon Aug 5 2013 by DontTreadOnMe because: Reaffirming Our Desire For Productive Political Debate (REVISED)

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 05:54 PM
link   
Interesting. Perhaps they don't want certain interested parties looking into the infrared spectrum or looking at star maps too easily?

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 05:57 PM
link   
Wait hold up!

As I understand this, Apple was found guilty of price fixing ebooks right?

To boost the already record profits they were making?

Now that the DOJ wants some oversight, to make sure they end up following the rules, people are going to cry Big Brother?!

The justice department is doing what it should be done. Imposing and penalty and following suit after a company broke a law.

I'd rather they send those responsible to jail and call it a day, but if they cant' do that to them, might as well hurt their profit margin.

~Tenth

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 06:01 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

It's about oversight. Or a lack thereof.

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 06:01 PM
link   
reply to post by sandman441

This sooooooooooo reminds me of ATLAS SHRUGGED!!!!!

When are people going to get it??????

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 06:02 PM
link   

KaiDKravitVALIS42

Isn't the DOJ stating they WANT oversight now, to prevent further problems?

I'm just confused as to what people expect?

It seems like people get up in arms when they do nothing, yet give the same reaction when they try to do anything.

~Tenth

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 06:09 PM
link   
Is this what's called a lose lose situation?

Do something get blamed do nothing get blamed.

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 06:17 PM
link   

tothetenthpower
As I understand this, Apple was found guilty of price fixing ebooks right?

There's a hidden controversy that's not discussed in relation to this.

The original rationale for what Jobs was calling "reasonable pricing" was so that the book author gets a fixed and dependable royalty for digital book downloads. Many of the existing (at the time) publishing deals had fixed percentages only for the publisher and distributor, allowing Amazon to undercut market prices and still maintain full percentages for them and the publisher, while drastically reducing what authors would get.

Apple is on the losing end of a conspiracy amongst Amazon, Barnes & Noble, and major publishers to keep the existing framework that has screwed many authors out of decent royalties.

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 06:43 PM
link   

Holder’s request follows a decision by Denise Cote, a New York Federal District Judge. Cote ruled that Apple violates the US Anti-Trust Laws, which are designed to prevent monopolies and fixed prices.

I have to laugh at this really.

The Us government is the largest monopoly,price fixers the world has ever seen.

Basically this in a nut shell is government trying to kill off the competition.

They are good at that kind of stuff, and make corporations look like 'saints'.

Think Holders time would be better spent dishing out real justice instead of that 'social justice' that lacks any justice what so ever.

Not that I like Apple mind you, my contempt of Holder and the administration is higher.
edit on 5-8-2013 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 06:47 PM
link   

Why is Holder even still here??
Wish he would go home with his corrupt ways.

Government is getting a little too aggressive, one would think.

edit on 5-8-2013 by snarky412 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 07:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower

KaiDKravitVALIS42

It seems like people get up in arms when they do nothing, yet give the same reaction when they try to do anything.

~Tenth

for me the problem is that it's telling Apple not to take the 30% fee from Amazon that it charges to everybody else. What makes Amazon so special?

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 07:38 PM
link   

KaiDKravitVALIS42

~Tenth

I mean that if there is only ONE group which has oversight there is a problem. Who watches the watchers?

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 08:55 PM
link   

Hmmm....very interesting.

With this news factored in, was this a trade off, or back scratch?

Imports and sell of Apple Inc. (NASDAQ:AAPL) iPhones and iPads can’t be Banned for growth of industry

www.fiscalinsider.com...

Obama trade representative reverses ban on imports of some Apple iPads, older iPhones

www.washingtonpost.com... 1e2-89f7-8599e3f77a67_story.html

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 09:46 PM
link   
I'm not understanding how the ruling happened in the first place on this, since Apple App Store is a direct creation of Apple Inc and their own proprietary market place? How is it the Government has any business in what Apple charges or how they handle contracts for vendors that want to sell on their own market place?

Given that a ruling was made, fine them or whatever but the level of direct management influence here is patently absurd for reaching into the private sector. This is how the DOJ has run misbehaving states on things like Voting and Civil rights issues for micro-management. Private sector now? Decisions that don't JUST slap Apple for whatever violation but have direct competitive advantage to specific competitors? Where are we? Venezuela?

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 09:56 PM
link   
Maybe Apple should compromise and allow Holder and the DOJ some oversight to the Apple Store.

Meanwhile Apple can oversee the Fast and Furious investigations, the IRS investigations, the New Black Panther voter intimidation investigations, the Benghazi investigations, etc..... Fair is fair, right?

Point is, if your own business is in a shambles then you should keep your nose out of other people's business.

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 10:31 PM
link   
The nwo marxist leninist takeover continues.

Ron paul was our only realistic hope and we elect a marxist globalist nwo car salesman.

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 11:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Ahabstar

Don't criticize your neighbors yard when your own is weedy and overgrown.

I am interested in what SO had to say.....regarding the royalties. It would take a pretty serious story to get me on Apples side.

posted on Aug, 6 2013 @ 01:05 AM
link   

KaiDKravitVALIS42

~Tenth

because they always seem to choose their battles poorly...

they choose to stick their nose in this, when there are FAR more important things they should be looking into....

so it's not entirely as you describe...its not a matter of bitching when they do nothing, and bitching when they try to do something. it's bitching when they do nothing, and bitching when they do something useless, or wasteful, or stupid, when there are more serious matters to attend do, in lieu of doing nothing. in other words they either do nothing, or do "busy work", to appear as if they are not completely useless, incompetent, and wasting our money.
edit on 6-8-2013 by Daedalus because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2013 @ 08:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by sandman441

ERIC HOLDER DEMANDS GOVERNMENT SUPERVISION OF APPLE'S ITUNES & APP STORES

benswann.com

The mega company currently gets 30 percent commission for any e-books sold on an Apple Store App. According to the Wall Street Journal, the DOJ is pushing for Amazon.com to be able to sell e-books on Apple Apps without the 30 percent commission.

edit on 8/5/2013 by tothetenthpower because: --Mod Edit--All caps, don't use em

edit on Mon Aug 5 2013 by DontTreadOnMe because: try again

The big question here is... WHY? Why does our government have to reign over a market that is supposed to be free? This disturbs me to no end. Let the market work itself out. Any government intervention is just going to raise the prices even more. Eric Holder needs to be fired, along with about half of the rest of them.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join