It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists Discover What's Killing the Bees and it's Worse than You Thought

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+67 more 
posted on Jul, 25 2013 @ 10:53 AM
link   

Scientists Discover What's Killing the Bees and it's Worse than You Thought

qz.com

Scientists had struggled to find the trigger for so-called Colony Collapse Disorder (CCD) that has wiped out an estimated 10 million beehives, worth $2 billion, over the past six years. Suspects have included pesticides, disease-bearing parasites and poor nutrition. But in a first-of-its-kind study published today in the journal PLOS ONE, scientists at the University of Maryland and the US Department of Agriculture have identified a witch’s brew of pesticides and fungicides contaminating pollen that bees collect to feed their hives. The findings break new ground on why large numbers of bees
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 25-7-2013 by Realtruth because: (no reason given)

+40 more 
posted on Jul, 25 2013 @ 10:53 AM
link   
Being a certified Beekeeper here in Michigan this is pretty big news, since it's the first of its kind study.

You can read the abstract here.

www.plosone.org...

Always follow the money trail and who is funding the studies and this ones shows a great cross-section of input.

I wish people could understand the implications of what would happen to the world if bees disappear. Seriously folks!

One other person had a thought about the bee population too.

“If the bee disappeared off the face of the earth, man would only have four years left to live.”

― Albert Einstein

But hey wth did he know.

qz.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 25 2013 @ 11:00 AM
link   
I find it very concerning that bees are dying like this. I'm glad scientists are trying to figure out why this is happening. It seems like if it is pesticides causing it, those pesticides should be either modified to be bee-friendly, or banned until they can be made so. Long term consequences should definitely be considered. I hope the real cause is found, so it can be taken care of, and that people don't jump to conclusions too early.

posted on Jul, 25 2013 @ 11:01 AM
link   
Even if we stopped using those pesticides and fungicides today, it would probably be too late.

/shrug

+2 more 
posted on Jul, 25 2013 @ 11:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Realtruth

I'm just waiting for all those bee-keepers out there to start hitting the corps with big lawsuits

+24 more 
posted on Jul, 25 2013 @ 11:03 AM
link   

And to combat the issue companies will build a GMO Bee to be resistant to the pesticides.

Right?

Why worry nothing could go wrong there right?

posted on Jul, 25 2013 @ 11:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Zcustosmorum

I'm just waiting for all those bee-keepers out there to start hitting the corps with big lawsuits

If the studies like this are correct and applicable, then I am sure we will see some monster lawsuits coming up real soon.

Most of the large corporations will do there best to quash, or discredit findings like this, since they know that is exactly what will happen to them.

Why do we as a society find the need to keep lying to ourselves?

posted on Jul, 25 2013 @ 11:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Zcustosmorum

Should a gun manufacturer be hit with a lawsuit if someone uses one of their guns to murder someone?

You're basically suggesting the same thing here.

It's not the makers of pesticides that are at blame here, it's the farmers mismanaging their crop and overusing pesticides.

edit on 25-7-2013 by AlphaHawk because: (no reason given)

+10 more 
posted on Jul, 25 2013 @ 11:10 AM
link   
Just read this on Science daily. The article stated: "Federal regulations restrict the use of insecticides while pollinating insects are foraging" I looked for verification of this, there are only recommendations and zero regulations. :shk: I hate when they mislead the public into believing that there are regulations when their aren't. I know some bigger farmers and talk to them. They don't like to use much pesticides but they can't afford to take a risk and not use them. One bad year could shut them down. You may pay a good price for food in the store, but the farmer does not make much considering the big financial risk he takes. If only we still had the birds, wasps, hornets, and dragon flies to control the bugs, we wouldn't need pesticides. S&F

posted on Jul, 25 2013 @ 11:13 AM
link   
When are they going to learn not to "improve" on nature?

PS- Einstein never said that.

posted on Jul, 25 2013 @ 11:15 AM
link   
Silent Spring.

posted on Jul, 25 2013 @ 11:16 AM
link   

SnF Truth.

When Einstien said something on record. There was always great reason behind it.
I sure hope his words don't become prophetic. Life without honey would suck but I'm sure
the absence of the bee would chain react and decimate. Surely the bees will rebound. ( crosses fingers )

posted on Jul, 25 2013 @ 11:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Realtruth

“If the bee disappeared off the face of the earth, man would only have four years left to live.”

― Albert Einstein

Unless Monsanto comes to the rescue. Seems a bit convenient. Those guys have been trying to monopolize the world's food supply for years and I don't think they'd stop short of global suicide in order to do it.

posted on Jul, 25 2013 @ 11:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by AlphaHawk

Should a gun manufacturer be hit with a lawsuit if someone uses one of their guns to murder someone?

You're basically suggesting the same thing here.

It's not the makers of pesticides that are at blame here, it's the farmers mismanaging their crop and overusing pesticides.

Time will tell and no, I'm not suggesting anything of the sort, you did. I would like to think that there are strict guide lines in place to prevent overly-harmful chemicals to be sold and that it is the companies responsibility to ensure these are followed. By the sounds of it, someone didn't follow the rules.

And, for the most part, guns are generally used for killing, chemicals are not

posted on Jul, 25 2013 @ 11:29 AM
link   

The findings break new ground on why large numbers of bees are dying though they do not identify the specific cause of CCD, where an entire beehive dies at once.

So they still dont know what causing all the bee's to die off..

+6 more 
posted on Jul, 25 2013 @ 11:29 AM
link   

Really?
What are insecticides supposed to do then?

Oh, and BTW, contrary to the article about it, the study does not say what is causing CCD. And maybe the beekeepers have something to do with the problem.

In our study and those listed above, pesticides applied by beekeepers to control hive pests were present in a large proportion of the samples, often in quantities higher than most of the pesticides that are applied to crops.

www.plosone.org...

One other thing. There is no evidence that Einstein ever said that.

edit on 7/25/2013 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 25 2013 @ 11:33 AM
link   

Phage beat me to it, but yeah, you should look up what the suffix "cide" means.

posted on Jul, 25 2013 @ 11:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by AlphaHawk

Phage beat me to it, but yeah, you should look up what the suffix "cide" means.

Oh no, it's a Phage groupie

quote]Originally posted by Phage

Really?
What are insecticides supposed to do then?

Oh, and BTW, contrary to the article about it, the study does not say what is causing CCD. And maybe the beekeepers have something to do with the problem.

In our study and those listed above, pesticides applied by beekeepers to control hive pests were present in a large proportion of the samples, often in quantities higher than most of the pesticides that are applied to crops.

www.plosone.org...

edit on 7/25/2013 by Phage because: (no reason given)

And I said chemicals (as in what goes into the insecticides)

edit on 25-7-2013 by Zcustosmorum because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 25 2013 @ 11:40 AM
link   
bees resistant to pesticides?

It doesn't matter what I think because I know the difference between wanting certain foods on every table in America; is not to promote health but to monopolize the "market."

And if a few bees die along the way, it's all good?

"Have a tour of my little mountain cottage?"

posted on Jul, 25 2013 @ 11:40 AM
link   

do you know why mr.einsten say only 4 years?
i thinking about it and this what i have..

year 1..all tree cant grow another tree..
year 2..animal die starving..
year 3..human starving..
year 3.5 they searching another source of food..then they begin to disturb the balance of earth by killing all creature to eat..
year 4...earth and tree balancing this mess by defence herself and make human as enemy..

dont ask me 5w..what why who when whitch..watch THE HAPPENING MOVIE..
this is the synopsis..

m.imdb.com/title/tt0949731/synopsis

We've Sensed It. We've Seen The
Signs. Now... It's Happening.

i think someone have warn us..even make movie of it..they already know it..
edit on 25-7-2013 by cheesy because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join