It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hundreds escape from Iraq's Abu Ghraib prison after fierce militant assault

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 22 2013 @ 01:29 PM
link   

Hundreds escape from Iraq's Abu Ghraib prison after fierce militant assault

www.abc.net.au

At least 500 prisoners, including senior members of Al Qaeda, have escaped after militants launched audacious coordinated attacks on two jails near the Iraqi capital Baghdad.

The military-style night-time assault on the Abu Ghraib and Taji jails left at least 34 people dead, most of them members of the security forces.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www3.nhk.or.jp
www.bbc.co.uk
www.rferl.org

posted on Jul, 22 2013 @ 01:29 PM
link   
No need to worry folks, Al Qaida is no longer a threat, this was to free others, it just so happened that a bunch of terrorists were freed in the process.

Funny how I haven't seen much in the US on this news, I wonder why?

Reports on how many escaped range from 500 - 1000 depending on the source article here and linked below, but one thing is sure, the region just got a whole lot more dangerous after this deliberate and coordinated attack on the prison.

www.abc.net.au

(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on Mon, 22 Jul 2013 13:39:10 -0500 by JacKatMtn because: typo

posted on Jul, 22 2013 @ 01:36 PM
link   
The news cannot report on Al Qaeda as the enemy any longer because we are currently in bed with them re: Syria.

Pay no attention to the jerk behind the curtain.

posted on Jul, 22 2013 @ 01:37 PM
link   
reply to post by JacKatMtn

Dead story... Besides, we all know it's George W. Bush's fault...

I give Iraq 5-7 years before it's immersed in a full blown civil war...

posted on Jul, 22 2013 @ 01:40 PM
link   
Something tells me that we don't even WANT to know what passes for true hardcore criminal in a place like Baghdad. I'm sure plenty of garden variety criminals went out with the political prisoners on this.

Well, I say we wish them well. The Government, I mean, not the prisoners. Then tell them to call the embassy if they need advice on how to fight the coming crime wave ...but other than that? Hey, they were happy to see us leave and we're happy to be about 98% gone. We ain't coming back. Not for all the cause on Earth, in my opinion.

Next time, perhaps, they'll guard a prison full of combatants as if it were a Military prison holding soldiers with an army out there which DOES want them BACK. After all, it's not 'kinda like that', it's precisely like that.

posted on Jul, 22 2013 @ 01:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Mirthful Me

I wonder if the reason is that it contrasts what the MSM is carrying:

71 Gitmo Captives to Get Parole-Style Hearings

posted on Jul, 22 2013 @ 01:50 PM
link   
Found an AP story posted by the Houston Chronicle... strange that it is located in their "News > Crime news" section?

Deadly Iraq prison raids free hundreds of inmates

Iraqi security forces locked down areas around the infamous Abu Ghraib prison and another high-security detention facility on Baghdad's outskirts Monday to hunt for escaped inmates and militants after daring insurgent assaults set hundreds of detainees free.

The carefully orchestrated late-night attacks killed dozens Sunday, including at least 25 members of the Iraqi security forces. Insurgents fired dozens of mortar shells and detonated suicide and car bombs, drawing Iraqi forces into firefights that lasted more than an hour.

Attacks elsewhere claimed at least 18 more lives on Monday, many of them soldiers, highlighting the rapidly deteriorating security conditions across Iraq.

posted on Jul, 22 2013 @ 01:50 PM
link   
reply to post by JacKatMtn

I posted a thread about the prison attacks very early this morning.
Link to thread
Your thread seems to have a little more info than was available at 4am CST.

posted on Jul, 22 2013 @ 01:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Ameilia

Yes, it seems the battle is over and the prisoners have escaped. Personally I feel this will be unknown in the west because many will never get a chance to see this story come to light. I wonder how this will shake up the Middle East.

posted on Jul, 22 2013 @ 01:55 PM
link   
They will each be hunted down in drone attacks or special forces like seals or SAS will be sent into take them all out.
edit on 22-7-2013 by SupersonicSerpent because: (no reason given)

edit on 22-7-2013 by SupersonicSerpent because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 22 2013 @ 02:00 PM
link   
Been looking for video...

That place probably has more CCTV cameras than the Pentagon did on 9/11.

The gubba-net listens to everything we say and do and won't show us 'anything'.

posted on Jul, 22 2013 @ 02:03 PM
link   
reply to post by SupersonicSerpent

and that video i posted is a fire fight after a group of Taliban over run a prison and got into the armory and special forces was sent in to deal with them.

posted on Jul, 22 2013 @ 02:26 PM
link   
They will probably head to Saudi Arabia :

A WikiLeaks released memo from the United States Secretary of State sent in 2009 asserted that the primary source of funding of Sunni terrorist groups worldwide was Saudi Arabia.[64]

en.wikipedia.org...

Then either head back to Iraq or Syria.

posted on Jul, 22 2013 @ 03:02 PM
link   
I bet the real reason that this isn't being highlighted in the mainstream media is that you will now hear the slew of wrongful imprisonment stories come to light. We will now hear stories of torture, rape, and being held indefinitely.

posted on Jul, 22 2013 @ 05:17 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

Syria sounds more likely... fresh freedom fighters?

posted on Jul, 22 2013 @ 05:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by JacKatMtn
reply to post by neo96

Syria sounds more likely... fresh freedom fighters?

I would agree since we are 'no longer in Iraq'.

And 'we are in Syria'.

posted on Jul, 22 2013 @ 05:53 PM
link   
I just duplicated this thread in the current events forum, I just saw this one
sry Snf

posted on Jul, 22 2013 @ 06:32 PM
link   
No worries here cuz I know that NSA is doing everything they can to keep us safe. (sarcasm)

posted on Jul, 23 2013 @ 12:17 AM
link   
Makes prefect sence,, they must release Al Qaeda in order too protect us from Al Qaeda

edit on 23-7-2013 by Blowback because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 23 2013 @ 01:50 AM
link   
Looks like all that military training the CIA gave them paid off. Tax payer money at work, high five!

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join