It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I was unaware "Race" is still a huge problem in America...

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 22 2013 @ 01:44 PM
link   
reply to post by whyamIhere

i replied for this.

But to pretend "Race" is still this huge problem in our Nation is disingenuous.

That's like saying people who believe that race does exist(which it does) are somewhat "disingenuous".

So i retorted.

posted on Jul, 22 2013 @ 01:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by luciddream

i replied for this.

But to pretend "Race" is still this huge problem in our Nation is disingenuous.

That's like saying people who believe that race does exist(which it does) are somewhat "disingenuous".

So i retorted.

My retort...

Exactly....He shoots he scores....We are making progress.

People that market racism as a commodity....Sharpton, Jackson etc. etc....

These people are "disingenuous". Can we agree on that?
edit on 22-7-2013 by whyamIhere because: poor education

posted on Jul, 22 2013 @ 01:56 PM
link   

Yup i agree. But these guys are the extremist.

We still have the moderates.

posted on Jul, 22 2013 @ 02:01 PM
link   
Good thread on this, OP and I think it's a very valid and fair question.

In my view and seeing people all over the nation in trucking? Racism IS a dead issue in America. Racists are not, unfortunately. I refer to Racism as the systemic and institutional nature of holding back and putting down one race over another as was simply the facts of life in America right into near present day. 50's, 60's and 70's all had plenty of signs (literally) to show institutional racism. Now? Heck..You wouldn't get away with openly racial slurs almost anywhere in America unless among 100% like minded bigots.

Racists, I define as individual and what lurks within the hearts of each man. That, I think, is still alive and well but it will always be to some degree. You can't regulate or legislate out how people feel, ignorant or not. Right or wrong. Nor should it be tried, until or unless that individual crosses into violating someone else as a result.

Education... (sigh) ... The only way and the slowest way. That's what I agree, the President could have taken the opportunity to shine with as an inspirational leader and not a petty divider, looking for revenge on a settled case.

edit on 22-7-2013 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 22 2013 @ 02:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Racists, I define as individual and what lurks within the hearts of each man. That, I think, is still alive and well but it will always be to some degree. You can't regulate or legislate out how people feel, ignorant or not. Right or wrong. Nor should it be tried, until or unless that individual crosses into violating someone else as a result.

Poignant...

Unfortunately, it will only end when the racist die.

It is very difficult to change people's heart. Matter of fact, it's folly.

This was a great chance to point out our progress. To focus on the positive.

Instead we got a drive-by agenda driven dangerous politics.

posted on Jul, 22 2013 @ 03:21 PM
link   

Unfortunately, it will only end when the racist die.

I generally agree with you about the hard core, deep hate and malicious racist. The New Black Panthers, Aryan Nations/Brotherhood or others in that category. Not 100% even there though. I knew a nice couple before I started trucking and while living part of a summer in Rapid City, SD. He'd been a Marine in Gulf I and we were all living ...creatively.. (My car was my castle). Such odd circumstances are probably the only reason I gave the guy a chance to be around at all....when learning he'd recently been a full member and resident of the Butler compound in Coeur d'Alene, Idaho.

Something in his life changed though and he was, as I witnessed a few times in a campground we stayed in for a bit, one of the nicer guys I'd seen interacting with other races. Fascinating to see, given that history. Anyway...... Even among that hard core group, some can change.

Education will eventually get the rest who education even reaches in a meaningful way.

posted on Jul, 22 2013 @ 06:53 PM
link   
Racism is alive and well in this country, because the media, and those behind the media, want it that way. It's just one more facet of the divide and conquer tactics used by those who run this country.

And I see those tactics are still working quite well, in this very thread. S&F OP.

posted on Jul, 22 2013 @ 07:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by whyamIhere

Honestly, I thought America elected a Black President. Isn't that progress?

Obama is just as much WHITE as he is black! WHY do people forget this?!

Obama is mixed....

posted on Jul, 22 2013 @ 08:42 PM
link   
I said this before and I'll keep saying it again!

It's sort of hard to impeach a corrupt, negligent President for Benghazi, fast n' furious, IRS, NSA scandals ... who just stirred the pot of racial tension...

Now isn't it?

The elite have us right where they want us - and can now get away with ANYTHING! Now can't they?

Cirque

posted on Jul, 22 2013 @ 11:34 PM
link   
reply to post by mblahnikluver

Obama is just as much WHITE as he is black! WHY do people forget this?!

I think people honestly remember it but Black/White mix race is still awkward to address and I think many just don't know quite what to say on it. So, in the end, seemingly ignore the fact that it is, actually, a fact. People can be downright odd about race and things like that, eh?

posted on Jul, 23 2013 @ 12:05 AM
link   
I'm a man, and I have to say I think Morgan Freeman is right on track. I don't if any of you saw his interview with Mike Wallace where he is asked about Black History Month, but he is bang on the money, as far as I'm concerned:

Racisme exists because people keep making an issue of it. When something is reported it's always "Police state the (approximate aged) (colour) (gender) was apprehended yada yada," or we have celebrities saying "As a (coloured) (gender) it's always so blahblah." Racism is an issue because we keep allowing ourselves to be duped into thinking of terms of race. What we have to remember is that we're all human, and until we start thinking about the species, instead of the inconsequential differences, all of the problems in our lives will never go away

posted on Jul, 23 2013 @ 04:12 AM
link   
Sometimes I think all races, ethnic groups, political parties, etc...should file a class action lawsuit (malpractice) against most major news outlets. They are nothing but losers taking advantage of their viewers.
Trouble is, what lawyer would take this suit? He or she would send 70 percent off all other layers directly to the unemployment lines...which also sounds good. Really, what would all these snakes do, if we all suddenly got along?

posted on Jul, 23 2013 @ 03:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by luciddream

Racism exist, it is just covered nicely so it is not "in your face".

Black president suppose to mean something? "Hey look a black president, we are not racist!"

Is he even 100% black? or does anything mixes with black becomes 100% black?

Ignorance breeds racism. Ignorance is well alive in the Americas.
edit on 7/22/2013 by luciddream because: (no reason given)

Well, if you ask most half black half white people, they will identify as being black. Obama said trayvon could've been him. But I am not sure if you posted to correct Obama on the fact that, no, trayvon could not have been him, because trayvon was black while Obama is half white...maybe you can enlighten us on that and show us where if you made sure to post that...since its so important all the sudden.

In case you didn't realize, most people look at a half black person as being black and not only that, if you ask most half black people they will tell you they identify as being black.

So it wasn't good enough that we elected a half black president? We are still very racist and "have a long way to go", is that it?

I guess you must be new to the big wide world of grownups so I'll continue to educate you in things that it appears you are not aware of... Do you realize that a racist person would not vote for even a half black person? So, Obama was not put in the white house by blacks alone... A lot of white people voted and made donations.

JayZ did not get rich by only black people buying his albums and clothing. I'm pretty sure a lot of white people helped. Black athletes do not make millions because the stands are filled with black people.

Does racism exist? Sure, but its no longer a huge problem. Are you saying things HAVEN'T been getting better? So things are just like the 50s? There was a black president, and tons of black pro athletes and entertainers back in the 50s? Or how about the 1850s? Things haven't gotten better since then? No, its gotten a lot better and you know it. It seems like the only place I ever hear about racism, is from people like you on internet. I never hear about it in real life and I see black, yellow, red people working just about everywhere I go, so it seems like everyone is pretty much accepted everywhere now.

But in such a racist nation, when the economy is bad and there are so few jobs, shouldn't it be mostly white people working everywhere?? Who voted for affirmative action? Oh yeah white people...

I suppose you imagine that white people just don't need to work... Yeah we all have a super rich uncle right? Or we all have nice cushy jobs in an air conditioned office wearing a suit in some skyscraper... Yeah, no.

Isn't it crazy how you always see on the news how the kkk are shooting, hanging, and raping minorities and burning crosses in their yards? Almost every day you see it... Oh wait no you don't... That hasn't happened in 40 years or more. At least I've never seen it in my lifetime...except in the movies.

The problem is, everytime you see someone look at you suspiciously or clutch their purse, you think "racism". Well, as the op said, that happens to white people too! It's a part of being a man. Some women are afraid of us sometimes. Most people don't feel comfortable being locked in an enclosed area like an elevator with someone they don't know, especially if you're a woman and that other person is a man. I think its just become too easy for people to say "its racism" when most of the time its not.

I don't believe in racists except for those who openly admit it. If you're a true racist, its like a religion to you and you would never deny it "in front of god"... All those other people, even if they did turn you down for a job or clutch their purse in the elevator because of your skin color, they are not racist. Maybe they had something stolen from them by a black person once, and it stuck out in their minds because the person looked different to them, so in order to attempt to protect themselves they avoid hiring certain types of black people. Yes there are different types of black people just like whites... Some black people say the n word, others don't. Some white people say the n word. Othersdont. Anyway, you can only make decisions based on The Information You Have. And a lot of our information comes from life experiences. So if someone had a bad experience with black people, they might be wary of hiring them in the future. It might take some time to realize not all black people will steal. But that's not racism. The person never had a problem with black people until they caught one stealing. And after that moment, they had no choice but to go by the information they have.

So then, that black person who may have done nothing wrong and wouldve been a good worker, sees that a white person got the job they

posted on Jul, 23 2013 @ 03:19 PM
link   
reply to post by spacedoubt

Really, what would all these snakes do, if we all suddenly got along?

They'd do whatever it took with however many it killed, injured or maimed to get everyone back to fighting with each other and looking at everyone else with distrust and open hostility.

It's become so blatant in the pursuit of that goal at this point, I can't even word it with my usual precision to cover the 'maybe it's not' possibility. There isn't one, in this case.

....and the laughs just keep on coming.

posted on Jul, 23 2013 @ 03:32 PM
link   
reply to post by 3n19m470

then they think that white people are mean and they carry that until they learn that there are actually a lot of nice white people, just like the person who interviewed them who had a bad experience... So you see, people just go by either what theyve heard or experienced. It doesn't mean that black guy is racist just because he has survival instincts that mistakenly caused him to have a distrust of white people due to a few bad experiences. Just like the person who didn't hire him wasn't racist just because they used past experiences as a way to attempt to make better choices in the future... This type of pseudo-racism is easy to deal with if people could speak freely and communicate with each other instead of isolating themselves due to fear.

If racism was as bad as you seem to think, we woukdve had full blown race wars by now. But funny, these people who hate eachother soooo much have barely lifted a finger in the past 40-50 years...

Small amounts of pseudo racism here and there? Sure. People can only go by the information that they have at their disposal. Real racism alive and well in America? No way man its just the media working overtime for the government, who Want a race war so they can enact more legislation to tighten the clamps even tighter... It's not us against You, man... It's THEM against us! They know if whites and blacks truly united in a meaningful way, we could really have some power and make some changes for the benefit of ALL HUMANITY!

But I suppose you think everything is just fine, except for all the racism and racism is the only problem and therefore the most important problem. Is that it? Yeah, sure, and a super racist country voted for Obama because his being half black was not a big deal... Now if he had been full black, he'd have been hung from the nearest tree, is that it? So its a super racist country, but only against full blacks...is that the world you live in? Have you even heard a real racist speak? They want nothing to do with you UNLESS you are 100% Caucasian!!

If this nation was so racist, why have there been no assassination attempts against Obama? I guess its that half white in him that keeps saving his ass, is that it?

Now go correct Obama that he could not have been Trayvon, and that Trayvon could never have been his son.
edit on 7/23/2013 by 3n19m470 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 23 2013 @ 08:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000

They'd do whatever it took with however many it killed, injured or maimed to get everyone back to fighting with each other and looking at everyone else with distrust and open hostility.

It's become so blatant in the pursuit of that goal at this point, I can't even word it with my usual precision to cover the 'maybe it's not' possibility. There isn't one, in this case.

....and the laughs just keep on coming.

So you're saying they would pool their money and create new media outlets?

"Thank you for tuning in to the TOGS network. (The Other Guy Sucks).
We piss you off, so the others don't have to."

posted on Jul, 24 2013 @ 12:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000

That has to be the most pessimistic, fatalistic and depressing post I've ever read.

Unfortunately, it's almost the most accurate and well written statement I've ever read. It's a crying shame we let ourselves be guided by an industry which, by it's very nature, thrives on conflict and chaos.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join