It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Some Mormons Search the Web and Find Doubt

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 22 2013 @ 11:32 PM
link   
reply to post by honested3

where does your idea of Christianity come from? Mine comes from the bible and Jesus' own teachings. Something about removing the splinter from your own eye before you attempt the same of your brothers eye.

posted on Jul, 22 2013 @ 11:34 PM
link   
reply to post by undo

Any son except Jesus is an adopted son/daugther : p

posted on Jul, 22 2013 @ 11:37 PM
link   
reply to post by onthedownlow

It is Christ's teachings = Christianity. It doesn't come from a guy who was a treasure hunter who decided to establish a false and contradictory doctrine. Yes you might say God used Joseph Smith the same as He used the other Biblical figures. But did the other Biblical figures contradict what the Lord has already established? No, because God used them to speak His word. Joseph Smith is a fraud.

If were being honest, if you cannot see the differences between Mormonism and Christianity, then do your research, there are so many contradictions that by calling a Mormon a Christian only shows me you don't know this enough to form a proper debate.
edit on 7/22/13 by honested3 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 22 2013 @ 11:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by honested3
reply to post by undo

Any son except Jesus is an adopted son/daugther : p

sons of god?
here's an interesting thing

heavenly divine council
www.herealittletherealittle.net...

here's another interesting thing

what is an elohim
www.thedivinecouncil.com...
edit on 22-7-2013 by undo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 22 2013 @ 11:42 PM
link   
If you think Mormonism and Scientology are "out there" you guys should check out the Urantia Book:

The Urantia Book (sometimes called the Urantia Papers or The Fifth Epochal Revelation) is a spiritual and philosophical book that originated in Chicago sometime between 1924 and 1955. The authorship remains a matter of speculation.
The authors introduce the word "Urantia" as the name of the planet Earth and state that their intent is to "present enlarged concepts and advanced truth."[1][2] The book aims to unite religion, science and philosophy,[3] and its enormous amount of material about science is unique among literature claimed to be presented by celestial beings.[2] Among other topics, the book discusses the origin and meaning of life, humankind's place in the universe, the purpose of evil and suffering, the relationship between God and people, and the life of Jesus.[4] It has been described as "a rich and complex moral narrative, equal parts Tolkien and St. Paul."[5]

Wikipedia Link

Here's some good stuff from the book itself:

(1.5) 0:0.5 Your world, Urantia, is one of many similar inhabited planets which comprise the local universe of Nebadon. This universe, together with similar creations, makes up the superuniverse of Orvonton, from whose capital, Uversa, our commission hails. Orvonton is one of the seven evolutionary superuniverses of time and space which circle the never-beginning, never-ending creation of divine perfection — the central universe of Havona. At the heart of this eternal and central universe is the stationary Isle of Paradise, the geographic center of infinity and the dwelling place of the eternal God.

You can read the whole book here.

I bought a copy once as a joke and gave it to a highly religious person as a joke.

Oh yeah, they talk about Jesus and stuff in it too.

posted on Jul, 22 2013 @ 11:52 PM
link   
Another thing the Internet is doing:

I have a couple youtube vids and posts/blogs about Spiritual Enlightenment and experiencing God directly, and literally get 2-3 people a week email me from around the world, to tell me that they too experience the same thing and that it's legit.

May not be alot. But I've material up for the last 3-4 years, 52 weeks in year, 2-3 each week .....do the math....

The real Absolute truth is out there. It is within you. A person must dig to find it......surrender, letting go, Grace, meditation, experience within ......it's there, and people are finding it.

It is hidden in the Esoteric core of many religions for those who have eye's to see.

The droves that are leaving, are walking away from a exoteric shell, completely missing the point to the riddle that was right in front of them the whole time....and inside of them as well....

It's the nature of this planet. Very few will find the 5 leaf clover .....even me ....I've only managed to brush up against it........ the wind blows strong!!!!
edit on 22-7-2013 by dominicus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 22 2013 @ 11:53 PM
link   

It is Christ's teachings = Christianity. It doesn't come from a guy who was a treasure hunter who decided to establish a false and contradictory doctrine. Yes you might say God used Joseph Smith the same as He used the other Biblical figures. But did the other Biblical figures contradict what the Lord has already established? No, because God used them to speak His word. Joseph Smith is a fraud.

If were being honest, if you cannot see the differences between Mormonism and Christianity, then do your research, there are so many contradictions that by calling a Mormon a Christian only shows me you don't know this enough to form a proper debate.
edit on 7/22/13 by honested3 because: (no reason given)

Sorry to sound harsh, but it looks like you may be the fraud. The Lord Jesus Christ is my savior, just the same as you claim that he is yours. If you want to debate that, go for it, but do so at your own folly.

posted on Jul, 22 2013 @ 11:53 PM
link   
reply to post by undo

"Sons" of God in the context your describing refers to the angels. Not true sons of God as in Jesus. There is much stigma behind "Sons of God" in terms of the angels, as in they created the Nephilim etc. Jesus is referred to as the "Son of Man" because the term "Sons of God" has that very stigma to it. Don't believe me, research why Jesus is referred to as "Son of Man".

If Jesus is not the only true Son of God, that makes the verse John 3:16 invalid. So you have to make sure that what your putting your faith into isn't something contradictory of the true Word of God.

posted on Jul, 22 2013 @ 11:56 PM
link   

I never said Jesus can't be your Lord and Saviour, I encourage people to believe what they will. But if you call yourself a Mormon, and think that means you are a Christian, then you need to do some research, there are serious flaws in there. Like I said, believe what you will, but you are encountering serious doctrinal contradictions to call a Mormon a Christian. I say this not to offend but I say it the same as I do to many of my beloved Mormon friends who do not know any better.

posted on Jul, 23 2013 @ 12:02 AM
link   

Lol, I can't say I am insulted, just a little dumbfounded. When you say you study Christ's teachings, does that mean you only study the New Testament?

Edit; Please be so kind as to mention the version that you study from as well!
edit on 23-7-2013 by onthedownlow because: edit to add

posted on Jul, 23 2013 @ 12:05 AM
link   

reply to post by undo

"Sons" of God in the context your describing refers to the angels. Not true sons of God as in Jesus. There is much stigma behind "Sons of God" in terms of the angels, as in they created the Nephilim etc. Jesus is referred to as the "Son of Man" because the term "Sons of God" has that very stigma to it. Don't believe me, research why Jesus is referred to as "Son of Man".

If Jesus is not the only true Son of God, that makes the verse John 3:16 invalid. So you have to make sure that what your putting your faith into isn't something contradictory of the true Word of God.

the only BEGOTTEN son of god. you keep missing that part. like i said before
attention to detail = requirement.

jesus, son of adam? oh really?

posted on Jul, 23 2013 @ 12:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Biigs

they are nice people, leave them be. It may seem silly to us but they are harmless.

They haven't been harmless here in California with the Prop 8 stuff. Just leave them be is advice they should consider for themselves.

That said, Mormons have a great community. I am frequently impressed by how caring and connected they are to each other.
edit on 23-7-2013 by Lucid Lunacy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 23 2013 @ 12:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Biigs
The day i have a problem with Mormons, is the day i see a news article about Mormons declaring some sort of war.

They are nice people, leave them be. It may seem silly to us but they are harmless. Scientology should get all the flak the Mormons are getting right now in my opinion, perhaps the Mormons should borrow Scientology's lawyers

Grow up and move on to issues that actually matter or focus on sections of other religions that are destructive.

Sorry, I have to disagree with you. They aren't harmless when their young adults are led to believe that the "spirit" has spoken to them and told them to marry another person they hardly know, only to have the marriage end in divorce due to differences that can't be reconciled.

They aren't harmless when these kids run down to Vegas for the weekend to get married, only to fulfill their carnal desires, then get the marriage annulled and return home as if nothing happened.

They aren't harmless when they treat non-mormons like dirt because they don't believe in their lies and then tell more lies about said non-mormon to ruin that person's credibility in the community.

They aren't harmless when they are instructed to "tattle" on their neighbors to their bishop about any "sins" or non-conforming behavior, so then that neighbor can be ostracized from his/her own ward and made to live without help from the very community which they believed they were apart of.

And the biggest one of all, in my opinion: They aren't harmless when they are led to believe that, because they are able to trace their lineage back to Joseph Smith himself, they are superior to all those around them, in particular, those who aren't white.

This religion may not be destructive in the sense that they kill and destroy any who oppose them, but it is destructive to those who are cast out of it for asking questions that can't be answered by their bishops.

The religion ruins lives by setting unattainable standards for it's followers, then cuts them off when they fall short of the goal. Faith and blessings are big things for these people and when someone isn't succeeding in their life, it is because they don't have enough faith. This is what they believe. So, to project the facade of success, happiness and blessing, stay at home moms resort to prescription drugs to help them get through their days. Working husbands rip off their clients and fellow employees to get ahead and make more money. But all of this is justified to them because they are temple worthy and the husbands have priesthood. These people can do no wrong in the eyes of the religion.

Living in Utah I have witnessed and experienced the above first-hand and I can say that it is despicable and disgusting and no one should think themselves better than any other just because they believe in something some person invented so long ago.

posted on Jul, 23 2013 @ 01:40 AM
link   
I love these modern day religions because they are a great window
into how easy it is, even in a relatively modern day to dupe people
into believing just about anything, even if it sounds crazy, a great
lesson in how most religion started, one crazy con man creates
something even he could never have fathomed, i would love to
have met the true founders of the big religions lol what a shocking
truth that would be.

posted on Jul, 23 2013 @ 02:41 AM
link   
reply to post by mormonmike

I grew up LDS and this is simply not true, at least in my ward/stake.

posted on Jul, 23 2013 @ 02:52 AM
link   
reply to post by undo

Got like 4 pages into said thread a while back. Interesting, gonna have another look see. I grew up LDS and stopped going to church at 18.

posted on Jul, 23 2013 @ 03:09 AM
link   

Wrong. Mormons are Christian. And most of what you are stating is inaccurate. We are all brothers/sisters. They do believe in the trinity. The father, the son, and the holy ghost.

posted on Jul, 23 2013 @ 03:11 AM
link   

Wow. Just wow.

posted on Jul, 23 2013 @ 03:19 AM
link   

Actually, we never called ourselves "Mormon", the people against Mormons did. "Mormons" refer to themselves as the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.

Since we're being honest. Seems like all the "research" your asking us to do, was "research" handed down by "New Born" "Born Again" Christians, and the like. No I am not a practicing "Mormon" anymore. But all this inaccurate stuff being thrown around kind of strikes a nerve, believe me "Mormons" are not sitting around trying to find ways to de-value whatever eeveryone else believes in. Peace

posted on Jul, 23 2013 @ 03:26 AM
link   
reply to post by holyTerror

Dont cast the 1st stone at the religion. Cast it at the people around you, elders set in their ways from years of obedience to the way they saw their elders move. You live in Utah, enough said.

"And the biggest one of all, in my opinion: They aren't harmless when they are led to believe that, because they are able to trace their lineage back to Joseph Smith himself, they are superior to all those around them, in particular, those who aren't white."

^What? Wow, seems like a lot of people are being mislead, misunderstood. Lineage to Smith was never taught to make one superior to anyone, at least not where I grew up. If thats what they teach people in your neck of the woods...then I go the cooler version. Like I said, question the type of people in your experience.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join