It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Florida braces for possible race riots after Zimmerman trial - RT

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 11 2013 @ 02:12 PM
link   

Deliberations in the trial are scheduled to begin this Friday, and a jury could conclude that Zimmerman, the Hispanic former neighborhood watch captain who fatally shot unarmed black teenager Travyon Martin in February 2012, is not guilty of second-degree murder.

But amid a racially-charged case that has attracted the attention of much of the nation, a not-guilty verdict could prompt people in Sanford and elsewhere to rise up, sparking fears that riots could emerge if the 12 jurors acquit the defendant.

In hopes of diminishing the likelihood of a possible riot, officials in Florida are asking that people try to hold back and not provoke others to engage in potentially violent mass action. In case those attempts prove futile, though, investigators with a local federally-funded fusion center are already combing through internet posts and other social media in an attempt to be on top of any activity before it gets out of control.

RT

This interests me for a few reasons. For one, I think Zimmerman probably did act in self-defense - although I remember stating that I would have tried non-lethal methods first...

For another, if race riots spread out through Florida, is Homeland Security going to step in again?

Pleas directing the public to stay calm in the event of an acquittal have led law enforcement and community leaders alike to caution against any alarming activity. On Monday, local police officers, teenagers and Miami Heat basketball star James Jones all appeared in an online video encouraging residents of Sanford not to act violently in the event of an unfavorable verdict.

I like the spirit here of encouraging non-violent protests, but at some point, our county has got to crack... it could be any issue, really, as the catalyst. Even this.

Let's say race riots start in Florida and Homeland Security steps in and people are arrested or the police use live social networking / texting data to assist in arrests or something. It could start a wildfire.

+23 more 
posted on Jul, 11 2013 @ 02:16 PM
link   
Lol.

Oh beltway media. How you turned a fight between a Latino and a black guy into a race issue I'll never understand.

Race riots?

This isn't Rodney King. There are more spurious murders occurring right now I'm sure that we'll never hear about.

~tenth

posted on Jul, 11 2013 @ 02:17 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

I really don't understand this either, but I do think it is realistic that there could be race riots based on how the media is covering the story.

I remember in the beginning of the trial, most people thought Zimmerman was white - and some media outlets had even changed the shading of his face.

Do we really have to continue manipulating the truth in order to further one agenda or another?
edit on 11-7-2013 by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2013 @ 02:20 PM
link   
I've been watching gavel to gavel. The jury will start deliberations Friday afternoon at earliest.
I imagine they'll deliberate through the weekend.
There is a tropical system expected (T.S. Chantel) in Florida this weekend and perhaps
the beginning of next week.

If it's raining really hard from a tropical system, that will help squash unrest.
Teens and early 20's folks won't want to go out in the rain to loot and riot.
They'd probably rather stay in and stay dry and play on their computers or whatever ....

IMHO

posted on Jul, 11 2013 @ 02:21 PM
link   
reply to post by darkbake

The race riot thing is just RT trying to make Americans look like racist aholes. Honestly, my firm believe is that RT is the *new* KGB propaganda outlet. I do like some of their reporting, as they will cover things that western media will not, but it's still as bad as the western propagandists over here.

I haven't seen any concrete evidence of racial tensions which could erupt into a race riot from this case. If it does occur, then it was manufactured.

~Tenth

posted on Jul, 11 2013 @ 02:25 PM
link   

Interesting you say that. Last night, on either channel 6 world news, or one of the BS Entertainment news shows, they showed a meeting, like a town hall type, with Travon's aunt speaking and telling people not to riot, and that she was speaking directly for his parents.

I really do think the media has caused all this talk. Sure helps the ratings right?

posted on Jul, 11 2013 @ 02:26 PM
link   

I tend to agree with you on this. I see some real rage in the community, but nothing like the level that kicked off the King Riots. That was a tension one could feel in the air and I think the whole Southern California population had a collective "Oh...crap" moment when hearing about the not-guilty verdicts. I mean, riots were almost appropriate given that is was Authority which beat the stuffing out of a suspect (all other details aside for this).

Here? Riot against whom? No one in authority DID anything. Just one guy...and the Jury may find he didn't, either. a tragedy then, if it goes that direction. Riots would be nothing but a cheap excuse to go steal stuff and hurt people.

posted on Jul, 11 2013 @ 02:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Yeah I'm sitting here thinking, what are they gonna do?

Go down and burn the orange trees?

Fire all their gardeners?

It just doesn't make any sense. Even if there was 'real' tension, there's no place to direct the anger at all. I can't fathom anybody being able to organize a protest or a riot based on such loosely put together ideology and emotions.

~Tenth

posted on Jul, 11 2013 @ 02:41 PM
link   
Many"rioters"are much more interested in looting and arson than a Zimmerman not guilty verdict.It would just be an excuse for mayhem.Watch...

posted on Jul, 11 2013 @ 02:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower
reply to post by darkbake

The race riot thing is just RT trying to make Americans look like racist aholes. Honestly, my firm believe is that RT is the *new* KGB propaganda outlet. I do like some of their reporting, as they will cover things that western media will not, but it's still as bad as the western propagandists over here.

I haven't seen any concrete evidence of racial tensions which could erupt into a race riot from this case. If it does occur, then it was manufactured.

~Tenth

You serious?

RT picked up on this story after other news outlets found a trend on twitter of people saying they would riot if Zimmerman found not guilty.

Many, many, main stream/popular news outlets have covered the fact there might be a race riot brewing.

If you take 5 minutes, go to Youtube, Twitter, or Facebook and look at the comments being made. There are so many people making ignorant comments, saying they will riot or kill Zimmerman themselves.

And you think RT is trying to make us look like racist assholes? You think they are manufacturing this as some kind of propaganda against the US? No, no, no. RT was simply reporting, calm down.

Wake up, Racism is far from dead in the US. As I said before, go look at the comments from any YouTube video with clips of this case. You will see a SURGE of racism.

Here, just click and read.
twitter.com...
www.facebook.com...
edit on 11-7-2013 by introV because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2013 @ 02:52 PM
link   
reply to post by introV

Thanks, I'm glad you looked into this. And Tenth - I like RT as well because it reports on things the American media won't - I'm sure it has an agenda, but at this point, I've given up on finding unbiased news outlets and have come to the conclusion that the most accurate news outlet for U.S. news would be Russia

Do I think RT is sensationalist? I actually don't know, it doesn't seem that way to me, their reporting in general seems to be more accurate and have better sources and actually makes sense, while me trying to watch Fox or MSNBC makes me nauseous in most cases due to lack of any reason.

On the other hand, there probably are some sensationalist stories, but I filter them out... or check the facts, and / or take note of the facts but strip away the opinon
edit on 11-7-2013 by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2013 @ 02:55 PM
link   
Well its nice to see people on twitter and in the so called media bracing for riots while we the people in the Florida are not.

posted on Jul, 11 2013 @ 02:56 PM
link   
reply to post by introV

Many, many, main stream/popular news outlets have covered the fact there might be a race riot brewing.

Twitter and FB trending posts are not an indication of a race riot.

I have not seen any other outlets reporting race riots, or the possibility of them. Please source if you have seen them.

If you take 5 minutes, go to Youtube, Twitter, or Facebook and look at the comments being made. There are so many people making ignorant comments, saying they will riot or kill Zimmerman themselves.

The people who have time to sit around and make ignorant statements on social media, are not the type to go out and do something of any real consequence unless an actual organized group is present. The ladder won't happen.

And you think RT is trying to make us look like racist assholes? You think they are manufacturing this as some kind of propaganda against the US? No, no, no. RT was simply reporting, calm down.

I'm perfectly calm. RT routinely writes about the West and Europe with the notion that everything is destabilizing and that the whole country is ready to riot at the drop of a hat.

It's fear mongering. A self created circumstance brought on by group think.

Wake up, Racism is far from dead in the US. As I said before, go look at the comments from any YouTube video with clips of this case. You will see a SURGE of racism.

But it's not a race issue. Both are considered 'minorities', the media made into a race issue in the desperate attempt to fuel the immigration reform issue IMO.

Youtube is NOT a good indication of the average person's willingness to go out and riot.

~Tenth

edit on 7/11/2013 by tothetenthpower because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2013 @ 02:58 PM
link   
Lets take a look at some real-time 'viewpoints' on Zimmerman, and the trial:

tweet-search-stream.gimite.net...

^Use this tool to help draw your own conclusions.

...I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

posted on Jul, 11 2013 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Tenth, I hope you are right and I am wrong. And you are totally on the money when you say that it will be manufactured.

MSM knows that there rating will spike if riots do break out so they do have a vested interest in this.

I think it will boil down to how protesters will interact with the police and their community. And I'm sure that we all know there will be protesters if Zimmerman is found not guilty. It does have the large possibilty of spinning out of control since you know the MSM will sensationalize everything they report. I think they actually want a riot to occur.
edit on 11-7-2013 by TDawgRex because: Just a ETA

posted on Jul, 11 2013 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower

Twitter and FB trending posts are not an indication of a race riot.

I have not seen any other outlets reporting race riots, or the possibility of them. Please source if you have seen them.

You haven't seen any other outlets reporting potential race riots? If that's the case you must not be looking too hard. I was listening to Fox News Radio 3 hours ago and both Rush and Beck talked about it.

Type Riot + Zimmerman into any search engine, you will find tons of articles from outlets.

The people who have time to sit around and make ignorant statements on social media, are not the type to go out and do something of any real consequence unless an actual organized group is present. The ladder won't happen.

So you're saying Arab Spring, Brazil Protests, Egypt and all that weren't heavily dependent on Social Media? This must be precisely why they shut down Facebook in these regions temporarly as a means of stopping the flow of information...

You do realize that low information people tend to riot. The only source of any news these people get IS from Social Media.

You really think people that are making RIOT comments listen/watch RT??

I'm perfectly calm. RT routinely writes about the West and Europe with the notion that everything is destabilizing and that the whole country is ready to riot at the drop of a hat.

It's fear mongering. A self created circumstance brought on by group think.

Can you source where they say the whole country is about to riot at a drop of the hat? I don't think they made the broad of a speculation.

Just because RT reports something doesn't mean they are Propagating or manufacturing a riot. They are simply reporting a TREND that's going on.

And yes, it is a serious issue.

But it's not a race issue. Both are considered 'minorities', the media made into a race issue in the desperate attempt to fuel the immigration reform issue IMO.

Youtube is NOT a good indication of the average person's willingness to go out and riot.

YouTube is NOT the only indication, but other than popular websites and social media, where else do you think you are going to catch wind of a riot being brewed? Also, "Minorities" doesn't matter as most people supporting the prosecution ASSUME Zimmerman is full blooded WHITE.

The real conspiracy here is Obama, Holder, and the DOJ manufacturing a race riot.

posted on Jul, 11 2013 @ 03:17 PM
link   
reply to post by introV

You haven't seen any other outlets reporting potential race riots? If that's the case you must not be looking too hard. I was listening to Fox News Radio 3 hours ago and both Rush and Beck talked about it

You mean like this?

Search Entry

Top story is Infowars then RT, then the same story linked back from RT.

Then the rest of them are nothing to do with that, or stating it's fear mongering as I was.

So again, which news outlets are 'widely' reporting the potential of race riots? It's a few stories being repeated by various smaller outlets. Not the same thing.

So you're saying Arab Spring, Brazil Protests, Egypt and all that weren't heavily dependent on Social Media? This is precisely why they shut down Facebook in these regions temporarly as a means of stopping the flow of information?

That's not what I said at all. People in America aren't like people in Egypt. Egyptian citizens were willing to go stand in a square by the MILLIONS and demand better treatment from their government. Americans don't do that, they sit on the internet and bitch about it.

Much like the rest of the first world.

You do realize that low information people tend to riot. The only source of any news these people get IS from Social Media.

There is no restriction to access of information in West or Europe like the kind you see in 3rd world or otherwise unstable nations. We use our internet for pictures of cats and arguing with strangers. The people in those countries I mention actually use it for what it's worth.

an you source where they say the whole country is about to riot at a drop of the hat? I don't think they made the broad of an assumption. Just because RT reports something doesn't mean they are Propagating or manufacturing a riot. They are simply reporting a TREND that's going on.

No I can't, and that's a silly request. I stated that RT routinely writes articles that make it SOUND like, not said, SOUND like. Propaganda isn't a direct thing you know.

YouTube is NOT the only indication. Also, "Minorities" doesn't matter as most people supporting the prosecution ASSUME Zimmerman is full blooded WHITE.

Assume because of the media, again, manufactured. But there is no where to actually channel the anger.

Nobody is going to riot.

~Tenth

posted on Jul, 11 2013 @ 03:20 PM
link   
Once again, those with the most to gain politically will be the ones calling most loudly for "action" after an acquittal.

posted on Jul, 11 2013 @ 05:09 PM
link   
Has nothing to do with restriction of news. I brought up that point because they restricted SOCIAL MEDIA in those countries. Here we get the news, or not, a lot of people simply don't even care!!! They rely on SOCIAL MEDIA.

Trayvon's Girlfriend:

"I don't watch the news"
"I don't watch the news"
"I don't watch the news"
"I don't watch the news, I told you sir."

These type of people who have wanted him dead or else riot, do not watch the trial. They do not care about the facts of the case. They want to see, AND HAVE WANTED TO SEE, Zimmerman convicted and thrown in prison (and killed)... Regardless if all the evidence would suggest self-defense.

What do you think RT, Fox, CNN, Washington Post, NY Times.. the list goes on... are going to do to manipulate them? The audience doesn't even need to be manipulated at this point.

People who want to see Zimmerman dead have been threatening this since it came to light.

I am going to compile a long picture compilation of people on FB and twitter threatening to riot and worse. Hopefully I can track down some super old ones from like, last May. Maybe it will get your head off the media.. because I have only stuck to the facts of this case. The fact's being:
A. The Trial. I have watched every minute of it and looked at evidence not allowed in the court
B. Real people saying real real things, aka threats
C. The media suggesting that police have prepared incase an event happen (Time).

Time's article also tried to calm people down, said the leaders in the community would try to make sure no violence happens. Which indicates this is a serious issue that needs to be considered/acknowledged because...

I can tell you sure as hell, there are HUNDREDS of people who are talking INSANELY on Social Media. That's what this is all about

For god sakes, Trayvon said some incriminating and downright vulgar stuff on Twitter. Lots of people post real stuff on twitter and everyone that follows them can see it, if they retweet it then hundreds of others see it. It's insanely quick to spread a message on twitter and create an influx of hype with this website.

I'm not saying an event is going to happen, I'm saying people literally are acting crazy about this whole overblown case.

----

SO what's my point? My point is RT isn't trying to manipulate US citizens to create a riot. They are simply reporting as I said. There may or may not be riots or incidents, I'm not saying that. I'm saying lots of people are saying a lot of crazy $#IT and nothing the media or the trial says will convince them otherwise, it seems.

posted on Jul, 11 2013 @ 05:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by iunlimited491
Lets take a look at some real-time 'viewpoints' on Zimmerman, and the trial:

tweet-search-stream.gimite.net...

^Use this tool to help draw your own conclusions.

...I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Well...clicking on your link and hitting search...that was a lesson on ugly.....

Des

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join