It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Louisiana Republican Introduces Bill To Ban LGBT Rainbow Flag From Public Buildings

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 8 2013 @ 09:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96
reply to post by seabag

Right about one thing?

Yeah hatred,intolerance, and bigotry are not traits unique to straight people.

I misspoke.

I attributed someone else's comments to him.

Post edited!

As to his comments about survival, I'm proud of the Korean war veteran for surviving a REAL threat as opposed to hurt feelings. In my book, if the man doesn't want to see the gay flag then he has a right to complain. I think he's earned the right to be heard....because he's a real survivor.

edit on 8-7-2013 by seabag because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 8 2013 @ 09:43 PM
link   
it's not about us 'throwing it in your face' or 'poking' at you or 'needing' a rainbow flag to represent our individual pride, it's about taking away more freedoms and blaming it on a rainbow flag,

as i said earlier, 'small Government' but we want the Government to control certain things we don't like

if you need to ban a flag, ban shirts with sayings on them because they may be offensive, ban any religious jewelery because that may be offensive, when does it stop and where?

posted on Jul, 8 2013 @ 09:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Darth_Prime

it's not about us 'throwing it in your face' or 'poking' at you or 'needing' a rainbow flag to represent our individual pride, it's about taking away more freedoms and blaming it on a rainbow flag,

What freedom was taken away? There is no Constitutional protection for flying flags. The Constitution doesn’t deal with petty nonsense like that.

as i said earlier, 'small Government' but we want the Government to control certain things we don't like
That’s what State and local governments do!

if you need to ban a flag, ban shirts with sayings on them because they may be offensive, ban any religious jewelery because that may be offensive, when does it stop and where?
It stops when the will of the people is realized.

posted on Jul, 8 2013 @ 09:51 PM
link   
reply to post by seabag

Three things a straight man never wants to hear: Bow down, bend over or your house is on fire.

This country is in a sad state of affairs when a piece of cloth representing homosexuality gets more respect than a human being who risked his life serving his country.

How do you interpret having a gay flag hanging up with all the other flags as "getting more respect than a human being who risked his life for his country"? I have no problem with only flying the US flag and the state flag. But if they are going to hang up flags representing various groups then everyone should be able to be represented.

Also, Louisiana get MILLIONS of dollars each year from gay tourists that go there for various events. If they want to forgo all that tourist revenue then by all means, take down the pride flag!

posted on Jul, 8 2013 @ 09:57 PM
link   
reply to post by seabag

When the will of the people is realized? okay, no more left to say

thank you for answering everything i have written, condragulations and thank you

posted on Jul, 8 2013 @ 10:36 PM
link   
They as in the gay community has taken Gods promise to man
and turned it in to a symbol of derogation and a abomination.
The rain bow was set in the sky to remind man that God would never destroy
the earth with water again.

posted on Jul, 8 2013 @ 10:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by seabag
If you want to be treated equally then act reasonably rather than all of this “in your face” obnoxious behavior. There is no need to fly a gay flag. Nobody wants to hear about or see signs of your sexuality….you’re not important! Get over yourself!

I wonder how you would feel if our situations were reversed.

Nobody wants to hear about or see signs of your sexuality. I never want to hear you say you're proud to have a wife and family. I don't want to hear you talk about your wife, or see your wedding ring, or god forbid see you with kids. People like you should not be allowed to raise children. You people disgust me. If I see you with your wife in public, I will yell at you and berate you. I might even get a group of my friends together and beat the living tar out of you. We will make sure everyone you know finds out about you. You may lose your job or be denied a promotion. You will never be able to run for public office. We will make laws prohibiting you from expressing yourself in public. We will make damn sure you never have anything to be proud of. Even our loving God despises you and will ensure your suffering long after you're dead. You're not special, you're mentally ill. You're not even a proper human being.

If anyone said anything like this to my face, I would certainly get in their face. I might even get a little obnoxious. This is the kind of crap that we're fighting against. This is why we get together in public places, like any other minority group is allowed to do. This is why we fly our colors.

posted on Jul, 8 2013 @ 10:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by grayghost

The rainbow is a natural phenomenon caused by the reflection of light on water droplets in the atmosphere.

If you want to get all mythological with it, it is also the bridge to Asgard in Norse mythology, the clothing of the Greek goddess Iris, the aboriginal Australian Rainbow Serpent which is the creator of the universe, and the trail leading to a Leprechaun's pot of gold.

You don't own the rainbow any more than we do. We do own the flag though.

posted on Jul, 8 2013 @ 10:54 PM
link   
If there was a LGBT gathering at a public park then I don't see why they couldn't raise the flag. It does no harm, and it doesn't represent the government endorsing said group. It just means that the group were allowed to use the facilities at the said park. If it were the government itself raising a flag like that at a school or court house for example, then obviously there is an issue - however that isn't the case. I don't think this privilege to use the facilities should extent only to LGBT people, but pretty much everyone, including religious groups. If they have a meeting at the park, then raise a flag.

Reading through this thread, I saw some complain that allowing LGBT people to raise a flag would allow any flag to be raised, including offensive ones. This is very similar to the same homophobic, debunked slippery slope argument used against gay people very often. And the answer is pretty simple, you create laws to prevent people from raising flags with things like swastikas on them, like they do in Germany.

reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Gay, at least among the flaming activist side, CHOOSE not to make the same accommodations to the majority and instead DEMAND the majority accommodate THEM.

It seems like you are just in favour of tyranny of the majority. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that something americans on this site consistently rave against?

Also I think it's stupid that if you raised a wiccan flag you would start a protest.
edit on 8/7/13 by C0bzz because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2013 @ 12:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by LightOrange

Originally posted by NOTurTypical
reply to post by LightOrange

Okay, what is that flag doing on government buildings in the first place?

A park is not a building.

Why don't you read the article instead of asking me such a ridiculously asinine question.

It was a gay pride event.

I'd like to say I can't believe you got a star for that idiotic post but then again this is ATS. Propagating ignorance.
edit on 8-7-2013 by LightOrange because: (no reason given)
You stated that it's a ''gay pride'' event. If you are gay or lesbian, that's fine and dandy, but how does pride for that come into play? I'm straight, but that's not, in my mind, something that I'm proud of, it just happens to be how I'm wired, nothing to be running around waving flags about because I like women. However, I'm proud of my accomplishments, and even that is to a certain extent, but pride in my sexual orientation makes absolutely no sense to me.

posted on Jul, 9 2013 @ 12:15 AM
link   
I see a common theme in pretty much all threads that contain any element of discussion about gay people. It's that nobody understands why gay pride exists. I'll write up a thread about and paste a link in here...

posted on Jul, 9 2013 @ 12:19 AM
link   
As distasteful as this may sound, I really do think the older generations need to hurry up and pass into obscurity so that the real progress can begin. The momentum of enlightenment and change is definitely upon us. It is the old, usually-white, stodgy good-old-boys who are holding this country back. People like this man getting so offended over the flag -- i.e., gays living in this world -- are the problem. When they are gone, a new breeze will come.
edit on 9-7-2013 by Brigidshine because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2013 @ 12:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Brigidshine
As distasteful as this may sound, I really do think the older generations need to hurry up and pass into obscurity so that the real progress can begin. The momentum of enlightenment and change is definitely upon us. It is the old, usually-white, stodgy good-old-boys who are holding this country back. People like this man getting so offended over the flag -- i.e., gays living in this world -- are the problem. When they are gone, a new breeze will come.
edit on 9-7-2013 by Brigidshine because: (no reason given)

So we are to be tolerant of all things gay but its totally acceptable to wish an entire generation that you claim is 'holding us back from enlightenment' dead?

Sounds reasonable.

posted on Jul, 9 2013 @ 12:25 AM
link   
Gotta love how well that statement was thought out.

I did not go overseas and fight for freedom just to come home and
have those freedoms rubbed in my face! arg!

People really need to think through what freedom actually means
better, apparently what they mean when they say free is free to do
what we approve you to do. I really dislike this bastardization of
freedom.

posted on Jul, 9 2013 @ 12:25 AM
link   
reply to post by C0bzz

Honestly, that would be a really good Idea. I'm not gay, but I have a lot of gay friends and I understand why gay pride exists. A lot of people don't though, and I can understand why they don't as well.

Just be prepared to try your best to remain calm, as some people will seem to try their hardest to derail the thread with homophobia.

posted on Jul, 9 2013 @ 12:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Glass

I wonder how you would feel if our situations were reversed.

Nobody wants to hear about or see signs of your sexuality. I never want to hear you say you're proud to have a wife and family. I don't want to hear you talk about your wife, or see your wedding ring, or god forbid see you with kids. People like you should not be allowed to raise children. You people disgust me. If I see you with your wife in public, I will yell at you and berate you. I might even get a group of my friends together and beat the living tar out of you. We will make sure everyone you know finds out about you. You may lose your job or be denied a promotion. You will never be able to run for public office. We will make laws prohibiting you from expressing yourself in public. We will make damn sure you never have anything to be proud of. Even our loving God despises you and will ensure your suffering long after you're dead. You're not special, you're mentally ill. You're not even a proper human being.

All of this posturing is exactly what gets people riled up. I'm not passing judgement on gays. I could care less what you or anybody else does in your bedroom. I don't even care about a gay couple holding hands down the street or having a date at a restaurant. Whatever! But when you have obnoxious parades and flags flying in my face its over the top. Nobody rubs their heterosexuality in your face!!! Don't you get it?? You're not trying to be part of society at that point; that's being "in your face" and intentionally provocative.

posted on Jul, 9 2013 @ 12:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Glass

Originally posted by grayghost

The rainbow is a natural phenomenon caused by the reflection of light on water droplets in the atmosphere.

If you want to get all mythological with it, it is also the bridge to Asgard in Norse mythology, the clothing of the Greek goddess Iris, the aboriginal Australian Rainbow Serpent which is the creator of the universe, and the trail leading to a Leprechaun's pot of gold.

You don't own the rainbow any more than we do. We do own the flag though.

You have every right to be what you want.
I have every right to not buy into the gay community behavior.
I have said it once and i will say it again,The one and only place we see
homosexuality carried out openly is in the animal kingdom.
God made Adam and Eve, Not Adam and Steve.When two men engage in sex it is an abomination
unto God.

posted on Jul, 9 2013 @ 01:07 AM
link   
reply to post by grayghost

Funny thing that. Jesus never mentioned anything about homosexuals. Besides, we're animals too. Don't believe me? Explain all of our animal instincts.

posted on Jul, 9 2013 @ 01:11 AM
link   

posted on Jul, 9 2013 @ 01:14 AM
link   
reply to post by seabag

I would actually disagree with the statement that no one rubs heterosexual
things in peoples faces, ever hear of mardi gras? spring break? summer?
car commercials, burger commercials, fitness, alcohol, condom, and really
any number of advertising out there uses half naked women and men in
mostly hetero situations. While you don't bat an eye at these because they
are the norm, that is rubbing hetero lifestyle in everyones face in the exact
same manner.

Sexuality is all over television and advertising in the US and at least 90% of
it caters to the hetero choice, also mardi gras and spring break are times
when you can go out and see all kinds of half or wholly naked people many
in the hetero category, truth is its only fair they should get the same opportunity
to flaunt their sexuality if they so choose.

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join