It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Louisiana Republican Introduces Bill To Ban LGBT Rainbow Flag From Public Buildings

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 8 2013 @ 01:46 PM
link   
So now Yoga is religious? and being Gay is religious as well?

Man they bring you to their level of expertise and beat you with stupidity.

posted on Jul, 8 2013 @ 01:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Southern Guardian
reply to post by LightOrange

More on this:

He expects the ordinance would allow only the flying of American, Louisiana and Acadian/LCG flags, and possibly Mardi Gras flags, on LCG property.

www.theadvertiser.com...

If we're not just talking about LGBT flags, but also none government flags in general, then I don't see issue. If people will enforce the law equally when it comes to religious flags and ideological flags (communist, tea party) then this is understandable.
edit on 8-7-2013 by Southern Guardian because: (no reason given)

Mardi Gras is basically the straight pride parade. Also, its roots are of Lent which is religious.

If this guy is seriously suggesting that is acceptable and the rainbow flag (a symbol of unity between ALL people, not just gays), then there's obvious bigotry in the stew.
edit on 8-7-2013 by LightOrange because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 8 2013 @ 01:52 PM
link   
only flags on public property should be US and State flags

posted on Jul, 8 2013 @ 01:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by captaintyinknots
Notice how its always the baby boomers who are at the forefront of anti-gay stories?

Just a few more years folks. Just a few more years.

Just a note to thank you for stereotyping millions and millions of Americans whom you will never know.

Baby boomers... because you were born between certain years, you are ee-ville.

Way to go. Our future is in good hands.

posted on Jul, 8 2013 @ 01:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by redoubt

Notice how its always the baby boomers who are at the forefront of anti-gay stories?

Just a few more years folks. Just a few more years.

Just a note to thank you for stereotyping millions and millions of Americans whom you will never know.

Baby boomers... because you were born between certain years, you are ee-ville.

Way to go. Our future is in good hands.

He's not stereotyping. He's not saying that all baby boomers are anti-gay. He's saying that most anti-gays are baby boomers. From my experience, this is 100% correct.

posted on Jul, 8 2013 @ 01:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by LightOrange
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Is there a US Navy event or something held in the park that would justify flying the Gadsden flag?

If there is, fly it. If someone is offended, they can avoid the park.

Now that would be logical and sensible. If you ran things, we wouldn't have problems and people could fly whatever flag fit their moment of interest or event on that day.

Unfortunately. you do not run things, as countless court cases around this nation have shown for the price it sometimes requries to fly a flag on a public pole.

Gays want unconditional, unchallenged and welcomed access ...irregardless of whether others do or do not get that same access for similar events with/without a fight to have it. Well... No. I simply say No. They can follow or be clobbered by the SAME rules as the rest of us....and those WHO DO RUN THINGS could probably learn from your suggestion. Until then? Well...Since they WILL NOT allow just 'anything' up their precious flag poles, lets do keep it to National and State Flags as intended.

posted on Jul, 8 2013 @ 01:58 PM
link   

“I did not go overseas and fight for our country so that we could come back and be subject to something like that,” Green said Friday. “Several of us (veterans) feel that the flying of this flag is a poke in the eye of a way of life.”

Wouldn't it be nice if the ex military man turned his attention to the homeless and the starving and helped them out instead of obsessing on a brightly coloured flag?

Or did he pledge allegiance to the land of the oppressed and the home of the bigot instead of the land of the free and the home of the brave?

posted on Jul, 8 2013 @ 01:59 PM
link   
Who cares, let him ban it lol

posted on Jul, 8 2013 @ 02:00 PM
link   

Oh I have no doubt this guy is doing this because of his 'issues' with gays, this is obviously the motivation. That being said, if they introduced the law to target all non-government flags equally, it's hard to really argue against, whatever the motivation. As for the madi gras flag that may have religious connections, well the LGBT community will have the opportunity to make their case against this law, possibly in court, if they can effectively prove this.

posted on Jul, 8 2013 @ 02:01 PM
link   

He's not stereotyping. He's not saying that all baby boomers are anti-gay. He's saying that most anti-gays are baby boomers. From my experience, this is 100% correct.

May I quote?

ALWAYS baby boomers... not occasionally, not mostly... but ALWAYS. That is, by definition, stereotyping, thank you.

People get what they give... and when they get it, they gripe and bitch... without a single thought to why.

Why...
edit on 8-7-2013 by redoubt because: correct

posted on Jul, 8 2013 @ 02:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000

Is there a US Navy event or something held in the park that would justify flying the Gadsden flag?

If there is, fly it. If someone is offended, they can avoid the park.

Now that would be logical and sensible. If you ran things, we wouldn't have problems and people could fly whatever flag fit their moment of interest or event on that day.

Unfortunately. you do not run things, as countless court cases around this nation have shown for the price it sometimes requries to fly a flag on a public pole.

Gays want unconditional, unchallenged and welcomed access ...irregardless of whether others do or do not get that same access for similar events with/without a fight to have it. Well... No. I simply say No. They can follow or be clobbered by the SAME rules as the rest of us....and those WHO DO RUN THINGS could probably learn from your suggestion. Until then? Well...Since they WILL NOT allow just 'anything' up their precious flag poles, lets do keep it to National and State Flags as intended.

Actually, dude.. The Gays were using a public space in a legal way.. which is why some bigot wants to change the laws to keep this from happening. No one was asking for anything different except the guy that wants a different law.

posted on Jul, 8 2013 @ 02:03 PM
link   

Well, I hate to burst your bubble but... despite how ATS tends to lean towards this conclusion because it tends to sway towards a certain political faction, I don't see this law passing regarding gay people in these changing times. It's not fair, I agree (assuming that what you're saying is true about other factions actually HAVING AN EVENT IN THAT AREA)... but us queers have GLAAD to misrepresent us with their adolescent nonsense and make gay people seem to be whiney, self-centered hooligans.

I just will never be able to understand why the hell anyone would think it's inappropriate to fly a flag that symbolizes an event that is taking place IN THAT AREA. It makes no damn sense.

All that being said, though, you'd have to have a reading disability not to think this guy is anti-gay and really doesn't give two craps about any other flags that fly in government-owned areas.

posted on Jul, 8 2013 @ 02:05 PM
link   
No, lets allow more Government to control what people can and can't do with their Freedoms of speech and expression by flying a flag

we want smaller Government, but we want the Government to control what we don't like correct?

i'm for freedom of speech and expression, fly whatever flag you want during your events

posted on Jul, 8 2013 @ 02:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Darth_Prime
No, lets allow more Government to control what people can and can't do with their Freedoms of speech and expression by flying a flag

we want smaller Government, but we want the Government to control what we don't like correct?

i'm for freedom of speech and expression, fly whatever flag you want during your events

Well said

posted on Jul, 8 2013 @ 02:08 PM
link   
reply to post by neformore

Wouldn't it be nice if the ex military man turned his attention to the homeless and the starving and helped them out instead of obsessing on a brightly coloured flag?

So you suggest those who have sacrificed should keep their opinion to themselves and keep on sacrificing for others while those who haven’t can continue to abuse the freedoms they did nothing to earn? Got it!

Or did he pledge allegiance to the land of the oppressed and the home of the bigot instead of the land of the free and the home of the brave?

I wonder if the LGBT community would be offended if the veterans flew an anti-gay flag, if there was such a thing.

Oh wait, I guess there is such a thing. Even Obama is offended by it!

edit on 8-7-2013 by seabag because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 8 2013 @ 02:11 PM
link   

We should keep displays of private beliefs off of government land.

The religious tried to make it a freedom of speech issue so they could keep their religious idols on government property, but then the states let EVERYONE put up displays.

So now the religious are throwing a tantrum and want ALL displays of private beliefs off government land.... Just like everyone wanted in the first place, although now they think it was their idea.

Their minds are just like those of children.
edit on 8-7-2013 by Wertdagf because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 8 2013 @ 02:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Wertdagf

Let me ask you this...

If a cross (religious) is on display in front of an atheist or his/her children, what damage is done? What is the crime?

And it works both ways... if there are no religious recognition, who is hurt?

This is childish.

posted on Jul, 8 2013 @ 02:16 PM
link   
reply to post by captaintyinknots

I just happen to be a baby boomer and I also have bigger fish to fry other then
the gay community and their rainbow flag flapping in the wind.

posted on Jul, 8 2013 @ 02:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wertdagf

We should keep displays of private beliefs off of public land.

The religious tried to make it a freedom of speech issue so they could keep their religious idols on public property, but then the states let EVERYONE put up public displays.

So now the religious are throwing a tantrum and want ALL displays of private beliefs off public land.... Just like everyone wanted in the first place, although now they think it was their idea.

Their minds are just like those of children.

I thought the First Amendment addressed the Freedon OF Speech, not the Freedom FROM Speech..

posted on Jul, 8 2013 @ 02:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by seabag
reply to post by neformore

So you suggest those who have sacrificed should keep their opinion to themselves and keep on sacrificing for others while those who haven’t can continue to abuse the freedoms they did nothing to earn? Got it!

He fought in the Korean war.

That is not a sacrifice for America... Except that WE had to sacrifice tax dollars to pay him.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join