It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Playstation 3 Killzone Helghast Custom Engraving

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 03:26 PM
link   
Hey all, a few days ago I decided it would be a fun project to custom engrave my Playstation 3. I was suggested a couple of ideas including Grand Theft Auto 5 and Gran Turismo, however I felt a Helghast Killzone mask would suit the matte black PS3 slim themost.

I have included some images of final result, I will also be listing this as I am saving up for a Playstation 4. As I have completed this project I am now tempted to do some engraving work on my new Playstation 4 once I get my hands on one. I should also mention this is my first engraving project, it was also done by hand which it probably apparent lol.

posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 03:33 PM
link   
Okay, this is coming from an Artist student who 'tried and died' in the field of becoming a professional artist, so take it for what it's worth.

That is some fine looking work right there, I do say. With a little practice and refinement for working within the surface available? I'd say you could make a tidy little side income doing case mods for others. Heck..I'd pay at least $50-$100 to have that done on my son's PS, if things were to order as he'd love it.

Nice Job!

posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 03:44 PM
link   
Well done sir!

posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 03:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
Okay, this is coming from an Artist student who 'tried and died' in the field of becoming a professional artist, so take it for what it's worth.

That is some fine looking work right there, I do say. With a little practice and refinement for working within the surface available? I'd say you could make a tidy little side income doing case mods for others. Heck..I'd pay at least $50-$100 to have that done on my son's PS, if things were to order as he'd love it.

Nice Job!

Thanks, I actually bought the tools to do custom engravings as a service. I don't want to turn this into an advertisement so I won't post any links lol. For my next project I have already bought the knife in the below video, I am not sure what design to engrave into it yet. For personal projects I also have 2 samurai swords which are on my to do list. My main worry is that my designer OCD will kick in and I will start engraving everything in sight lol.

posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 03:55 PM
link   
reply to post by voudon

Wow!
For that being your first attempt at engraving, of all things a curved surface PS3. Well done!

Going by the pictures and your modest comment I assume you're referring to the shaky lines?
I think they give it character and it suits the image you chose.

Curious though, would you share a little more info on the tools and process you used to achieve this wonderful work of art?

It kind of looks like you used an X-Acto knife or something. I don't know.

edit on 3-7-2013 by ShadowLink because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 04:05 PM
link   
reply to post by ShadowLink

I just used a Dremel 3000 with a carving tool bit. I did also purchase a cheap flexi-shaft which is what you are supposed to use for finer engravings, however it was not working so I just worked without it. As you can see from my test below the size is a bit of a challenge, I have gradually developed a 2 handed technique (no innuendos please
) during the project otherwise the tool constantly wants to go in its own direction.

edit on 3-7-2013 by voudon because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 04:10 PM
link   
reply to post by voudon

Ahh, thanks!

My first thought was a dremel tool, but then I remembered how they tend to want to drift around cause of the rotation of the bit so then I figured an x-acto knife or something.

Thanks for the videos and keep up the good work man. You may just have a good thing here.

Also, post your blades when you finish them too!

I have a special affinity for blades.
Putting fine engravings on them is akin to putting fine lingerie on a woman.

posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 04:29 PM
link   
Applause!

That's sweet!

posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 04:52 PM
link   
I appreciate all the positive feedback, I will definitely post up new projects when I complete them. As I mentioned the knife is next.

posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 05:47 PM
link   
reply to post by voudon

That's actually pretty freaking awesome. Don't give me any ideas bro, I to am saving for a ps4, which would make my ps3 pretty dispensable in a few months. I just may take a knife or chisel to my PS3, though I doubt it would turn out as good as yours did. When I first saw the pictures you posted, for a second there I thought it was Optimus Prime.

Which is actually not a bad idea having Optimus Primes face engraved on your ps3, you can even paint the groves blue to stick to the whole black and blue theme. Good luck with your next projects, if your actually going to engrave a katana though. I suppose you can do it as is when the sword is done and fully polished depending on what your talking about and the sword in question. But I think they all do the engraving during the forging process, or during the blade polishing process. Not to sure what your planing on doing. But if you ever get around to it, post it up it would be interesting to see it.

posted on Jul, 5 2013 @ 06:08 AM
link   
As a gamer and an artist myself ! I think it;s dope for your first attempt !
great work

I would only advise to just keep practicing on just junk plastic to get your technique down before committing to the actual piece as you seem to be doing
also work on varying line width to give the effect of depth , look at simple line illustrations and engravings done by past masters and see how they utilise line thickness to give the impression of depth !

great work cant wait to see more !

edit on 5-7-2013 by sapien82 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join