It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Could we have some age related(wisdom ) awareness on ATS?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 02:31 PM
link   
age is just a number it does not count for intelligence it does make some wiser but not all .

how would we be able to tell a persons real age here on ats ?

posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 03:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Vasa Croe

I know Masqua isn't lying. I remember hearing "You damn kids!" a lot when I first joined. I heard there was a lot of cane shaking too (although I think a walker is involved now).

posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 03:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Zaphod58

There's something I admire about most youngsters: the attitude that they've got an intelligence comparable to one who has (if I may suggest) 'seen most of it, if not all'.

If the day ever came when young people (and I mean teenagers especially) lost that confidence in themselves, the human race would be in serious trouble because there'd be no-one left to challenge the status quo.

*said with one gnarled hand on my walker while waving my cane in the air like Plato would do if he'd lived longer*

edit on 3/7/13 by masqua because: grammar

posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 03:20 PM
link   
reply to post by masqua

Yeah, it always amazes me when some teenager comes along in a topic that I know like the back of my hand and tries to school me on it. I get the "confused dog" look as I'm reading.

On the other hand I've known a few teenagers that when they told me how old they were I about dropped my laptop in sheer shock, because you never would have guessed they were that young.

posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 03:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Zaphod58

I joined in the womb so i'm only 9
7even damn John Titors time machine.

edit on 3/7/2013 by kuhl because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 05:16 PM
link   
In my opinion older generations are probably more susceptible to propaganda and conditioning. I would argue that in contrast the younger generations of today in combination with technology have just as much, if not more of a realistic perspective on ATS subjects.

posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 05:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by masqua
As one who is in their late 60's, I can assure you that intelligence has nothing to do with aging. It is the collected experience of all those years that provides one with a modicum of caution prior to making statements which could potentially be foolhardy.

wisdom is what you start collecting after you know it all.

posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 06:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Aloysius the Gaul

Wisdom comes after the realization that you honestly don't know anything

posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 06:28 PM
link   

Absolutely. And then you have to work on patience

posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 06:36 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

OH MY GOD!! I thought I had big ears!!

Op - I don't think age is a factor. There are young folks who are waking up to the world's troubles and old ones who know, but just don't care.

posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 06:48 PM
link   

Nah - that's nonsense - everybody knows something.

It's just that a lot of people think they know it all.

posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 08:32 PM
link   

wisdom is what you start collecting after you know it all.

/reading glasses on

Oh man, I wish I could star that post !

/reading glasses off

posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 09:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by DAVID64
reply to post by beezzer

OH MY GOD!! I thought I had big ears!!

shhhhh I worry he may have the ability to hear cyber text (not directed at your ears Mr Rabbit )

posted on Jul, 4 2013 @ 02:31 AM
link   
55 and still alive!

posted on Jul, 4 2013 @ 01:38 PM
link   
reply to post by paradiselost333

Age doesn't really matter. Yes, there are a higher percentage of immature young people as compared to older people, but there are also young people that are very mature and intelligent in their actions. Putting an age indicator on someone's post is would do what I hate the most....having adults overlook bright, insightful young people just because of their age...

It really annoys me when people my elder automatically assume they know more than me, or question my technical ability on the job (which I am VERY good at what I do) just because I'm in my early-mid twenties.

posted on Jul, 5 2013 @ 03:23 AM
link   
NO!

Astyanax, aged 55yrs.

posted on Jul, 5 2013 @ 03:30 AM
link   
reply to post by paradiselost333

Age means nothing. I have met forty and fifty year olds who are less wise than myself (one fellow who fits that category is a chap called Phillip De'ath, who I once personally witnessed making the school boy error of believing the bar he was standing at, to be the urinal in the gents toilets. Needless to say his lack of wisdom was evidenced by the speed at which he was propelled from the bar, and the number of months he was banned from it).

I have also met five year olds so wise as to make me feel like a lummox and a fool. Wisdom does not increase with age. Wisdom increases with not just life, but events in life which challenge ones mind to flourish and diversify, and time does not always provide those events and oppertunities.

posted on Jul, 5 2013 @ 04:27 AM
link   
I've been a member here for about 10 years, so I like to think I've matured since my first few posts....

These days I find it's usually better not to post at all, and just use the site to gauge this section of societies opinion on current events. That way, if it's still around in another 10 years, I won't be able to look back and cringe at all the stupid posts I made!

Anyway, on topic, age doesn't matter. Most people "mature" as they age, but it doesn't always come with wisdom. Judge a persons post for what it is, because it will be no more or less valid whether it's from a 13 year old or an 83 year old. Unless the topic is "How it feels to be 83" of course.

posted on Jul, 5 2013 @ 12:30 PM
link   
reply to post by chebob

well, that's the kind of well-thought-out response one ought to drag themselves out of retirement to make, don't leave it another 10 years.

..i always liked the bible's take on this, '...with much wisdom comes much grief'

posted on Jul, 5 2013 @ 02:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by woodwardjnr
There was a program on TV last night called Child Genius, Some of these kids IQs were off the scale, higher than Einstein. Some seemed to have a wisdom more profound than any I've seen on ATS.

I was going to ignore this post until I saw your comment. IQ doesn't equal wisdom, do you think it does? Wisdom comes with experience, not from how easily you can learn a language/be exceptionally good at maths etc. etc,

I personally don't think that age always brings wisdom though hence the fact I was going to ignore this.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join