It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Several Military Bases Cancel 4th Of July Fireworks Due To Sequestration

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 11:08 PM
link   
This makes me MAD AS HELL

Several military bases have cancelled their Fourth of July fireworks displays because of budget cuts due to sequestration. The Associated Press reports Camp Lejeune Marine Corps Base in North Carolina, Fort Bragg Army Base (also in North Carolina), the Marine Corps Logistics Base in Georgia, Shaw Air Force Base in South Carolina, Joint Base Pearl Harbor-Hickam in Hawaii, and Joint Base McGuire-Dix-Lakehurst have all cancelled their Independence Day fireworks celebrations.

Story

The Fourth of July won't have a patriotic boom in the sky over some military bases because budget cuts and furloughed workers also mean furloughed fireworks. Independence Day celebrations have been canceled at the Camp Lejeune Marine Corps Base and at the Army's Fort Bragg, both in North Carolina. The annual July Fourth celebration also has been scrapped at the Marine Corps Logistics Base in Albany, Ga. The reason is money — namely the lack of it.

Story

Obama Spends $100M on African Trip But Cancels Marines' July 4th

The Fourth of July won't have a patriotic boom in the sky over some military bases because budget cuts and furloughed workers also mean furloughed fireworks. Independence Day celebrations have been canceled at the Camp Lejeune Marine Corps Base and at the Army's Fort Bragg, both in North Carolina. The annual July Fourth celebration also has been scrapped at the Marine Corps Logistics Base in Albany, Ga.

Story

This slimeball of a president can send his family on these trips, send his rugrats on trips costing the taxpayers millions of dollars, yet fireworks displays at out MILITARY POSTS HAVE TO BE CANCELLED!!!
This piece of trash NEEDS to be impeached and thrown out of office and in prison, he is DESTROYING this country, yet noone sees it???

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 11:13 PM
link   
reply to post by HomerinNC

Hey Homey, slow your Roll.

The Military had cuts due to Sequestration, and THEY chose to cut the Fireworks, while buying 5000 dollar Toilets.

Its funny how in one thread, you Scream about Entitlements, and when cuts are made, you Scream you want your Sparkles.

edit on 1-7-2013 by Tw0Sides because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 11:17 PM
link   
There are many worse problems in this country than a lack of fireworks displays on military bases.Obama is ruining this country because of THIS? Dude I am seriously concerned with your priorities. Why does this make you so mad?

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 11:18 PM
link   

I agree that Obama is a freaking low life scum ball but......it's only fireworks.

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 11:21 PM
link   
Yes is true, for the first time our local base will not have the open to the public fireworks display this year, but that is not the only thing has been cut from the budget, but is nice to know that Africa will get 7 billion of our tax dollars in the next 5 years, while local government employees get to give away by force a portion of their salaries for the next 7 years and not this are not the high end earners neither, that group get to keep their yearly bonuses, just the groups in the working class.

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 11:22 PM
link   
Good.

We don't need to be celebrating our freedom by purchasing communist made fireworks.
edit on 1-7-2013 by Frankenchrist because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 11:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Tw0Sides

These cuts were specifically placed on things that would infuriate the people the most. No more tours of the Whitehouse, no more airshows, no more fireworks. There is plenty of fat to be trimmed from government and they chose to cut ones that would be in the public spotlight for a reason.

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 11:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Privateinquotations

That is interesting, it seems that anything that have to do with the enjoyment of the masses when it comes to patriotism and love for the nations iconic places of freedom has become the target on what could be seem as erosion of liberties.

Specially when fireworks has become so much a celebration of what our nation used to cherish, I still remember my visit to the white house and congress for the first time in my life, it was something that I will never forget, now is off limits.

I kind of feel sad.

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 11:35 PM
link   
China is going to be ticked off they are losing money on fireworks because of our budget problems.

Peace

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 12:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Tw0Sides

Hey Homey, slow your Roll.

The Military had cuts due to Sequestration, and THEY chose to cut the Fireworks, while buying 5000 dollar Toilets.

Its funny how in one thread, you Scream about Entitlements, and when cuts are made, you Scream you want your Sparkles.

edit on 1-7-2013 by Tw0Sides because: (no reason given)

Dude, what I'm SCREAMING about is how this dirtbag of a president can order these sequestrations yet still go on a 100 million trip to frakking africa and send his kids on a 100g trip for spring break, THATS MY BEEF!!!

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 12:01 AM
link   
Although July 4 celebrations on military bases are wonderful public outreach events (civilians get to spend time with military and see the bases), cancelling fireworks is probably for the best.

Plenty of military probably have PTSD that is aggravated by fireworks.
I know I couldn't handle the firework noise for years after returning from Iraq.

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 12:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by HomerinNC
This makes me MAD AS HELL

Then the plan worked....

Forget emotion, look at it as a savings deal... you want MAD? Try screaming about Harry Reid's 100Mil for Vegas tourism... in the IMmigration Bill?!?!? passed by the Senate...

There's plenty more PORK products tucked inside that Senate Immigration bill...

As far as the lack of fireworks for the troops? don't blame Obama, or Congress... blame the defense department... they have a huge budget, they just choose to choke out the most "emotionally" effective thing, and PR that move to get folks riled up and demand that the MILITARY get's more money...

What would be great is all vets ignoring this troll attempt at outrage, by the DOD, and see if they can come up with a better plan?

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 02:02 AM
link   
Too sad.

Is there any organization or group more apropos to display a celebration regarding USA independence and patriotism than the armed forces of America?

I can picture it now, soldiers with kazoo's and flint-wheel sparkle guns, talking about pride in where their country came from and what their country has become.

edit on 7/2/2013 by abecedarian because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 02:25 AM
link   
I think fireworks all over the world should be cancelled and the money used elsewhere.
What a colossal waste of money... for óo ahh's!
seen em once, seen em a thousand times.

I love you anti Obama hate him at anything fools.

one hand you blame him for cutting funding leading to no fireworks
i bet if the fireworks had of occurred you'd scream bloody Mary at how he's allowing such a waste of money too

truth is obama is 10000 x better than bush, and 1000000x better than what ever republican stooge is selected to screw you over in 3yrs time.

edit on 2-7-2013 by Agit8dChop because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 06:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Agit8dChop

truth is obama is 10000 x better than bush, and 1000000x better than what ever republican stooge is selected to screw you over in 3yrs time.

I dont recall any 'republican stooge' raise the debt to 16 trillion in their first term...

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 07:29 AM
link   
Always makes me chuckle to think that the USA won it's independence not so much from "The Crown", but the bankers who "The Crwon" was in hock to up to it's eyeballs!

How's that all working out for you by the way?

Sure doesn't look like there is much to celebrate to me!

But, as long as it makes the masses feel good as they wave their little "made in China" flags and have a singalong to the national anthem, then that's alrighty!

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 08:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
reply to post by Privateinquotations

That is interesting, it seems that anything that have to do with the enjoyment of the masses when it comes to patriotism and love for the nations iconic places of freedom has become the target on what could be seem as erosion of liberties.

Oh please!
THIS is an "erosion of liberties"?

Your government is spying on millions of innocent people, your elected are spineless, corporations own their butts, your president uses special powers to block any investigation into the legality of the spying, they've been caught watching allies and hacking their systems, and missing out on some fireworks is an "erosion of liberties"?!

I'll say it again, Americans are seriously messed up when it comes to their country. Most seem barely conscious!

new topics

top topics

join