It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Espionage Writing Contest [EWC] [WINNERS ANNOUNCED]

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 29 2013 @ 03:24 PM
link   
Alright guys, beezzer reminded me today of the lack of writing contests, and I'd like to apologize for never completing the last one we started. Things got very hectic in RL and online responsibilities fell by the way side.

So, in order to redeem myself and get some creative writing back on the boards, I give you the Espionage Writing Contest!

Inspired by the recent surveillance programs known as PRISM among others as well as Edward Snowden this is a themed contest regarding spies, spooks, shills and 3 letter agencies.

It's a pretty vague topic and I'm doing it on purpose as I'd like to encourage any and all sorts of stories that have a spy feel to them. The stories can be from a governments perspective, a civilian, a whistleblower like Snowden even.

Contest will run from today 6/29/2013 to 7/31/2013 at midnight.

Title must contain [EWC].

There is no upper or lower case character limit.

All T&C's apply.

There will be 3 winners based on the number of flags received. Each winner will receive 5 applause and the first place winner, as always, will receive Writer Status.

Let's get to writing folks!

~Tenth
edit on 6/29/2013 by tothetenthpower because: (no reason given)

Well it's that time. After a bunch of great entries here are the winners!

1st Place
isyeye -Please, Don't Flag This Thread!

2nd Place
zazzafrazz -- The Farm Boy and The Dove.

3rd Place
Hefficide -- The Painful Truth About...The Truth.

Honorable mention goes to:

littled16 Peep

For having come so close to placing 3rd, the above will garner 2 applause as well as writer status.

Congrats to all our winners!

~Tenth
edit on 8/5/2013 by tothetenthpower because: (no reason given)

edit on 8/5/2013 by tothetenthpower because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2013 @ 04:32 PM
link   
This is one that I will take pride in reading...

I LOVE the idea that there 'could' be members with an insiders view to some of these topics.

OK, I can't seem to write or talk right now so I will simply send this back up to the top of the main page and hope to see stories soon.

posted on Jun, 29 2013 @ 04:39 PM
link   
GREAT!!!!

Every time a new contest comes around, I swear a blood oath to join but then... for various reasons, never get the chance.

Hope to get in here

posted on Jun, 29 2013 @ 05:43 PM
link   

Awesome to hear! Expect something from me.........

posted on Jun, 29 2013 @ 06:33 PM
link   
Sounds interesting .

....... where to start ? mmm

maybe a black comedy of errors ?

- a survivors guide !!!!!

posted on Jun, 29 2013 @ 07:16 PM
link   
I'm on it!

*giggity*

Thanks!

posted on Jun, 29 2013 @ 07:54 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

I decided to give it a very short and sweet go. Where are entries to be posted? Will there be another thread or just post in this one?

ETA: Can anyone submit an entry, or only those with "Writer" status?

edit on 6/29/13 by littled16 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2013 @ 09:37 PM
link   
reply to post by littled16

Anyone can, and I hope that you do!

posted on Jun, 30 2013 @ 12:46 AM
link   
hmmm I plan on giving this a swing I haven't written since my last entry here and need a challenge and some stimulation. Looking forward to reading everyones entries!

posted on Jun, 30 2013 @ 01:45 AM
link   
reply to post by littled16

The contests are how we get "Writer" status. Anyone with said status has at one time or another won a contest.

You make a new thread in the SS Forum, and simply add [EWC] to your title. Everyone will know it's a contest entry. (However, we have had some stories so believable that other members wander in and comment, till they are informed it's JUST a story.)

The trick to winning is to make it catchy. You win by getting the most flags out of all the entries with [EWC] in the title. The competition is sometimes fierce, but, hey, that's what brings out the writer in all of us.

I hope to see you add an entry (or two, or three, or more), and everyone can enter as often as they wish.

I've been feeling a bit creative of late, so after I enter, be sure to flag my entry! Personally, I love to read, and give a flag to every story, and often post comments after.

posted on Jun, 30 2013 @ 12:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Druid42

Thank you Druid for the info. I am proofreading my first "short" today. I don't spend much time in the Short Story Forum so I don't know exactly what is expected, but I will make an inaugural try. If I gain nothing but a fun time out of it I will consider it worth the time.

posted on Jun, 30 2013 @ 09:27 PM
link   
I crafted a bit of something to get everyone thinking, just a random story to get a feel for this month's theme.

My first entry is a chilling example of how far the powers of government may stretch someday, and I wonder, honestly, how far away this actually is.

Mistake.

Enjoy, (flag if you like it), and feel free to leave comments.

posted on Jun, 30 2013 @ 10:12 PM
link   
For those who have not seen it yet I have written a little tale as my inaugural entry to the EWC. I believe it is a story which all of us who navigate the boards of ATS can relate to.

Peep

Please feel free to leave comments and relate critique. I appreciate anything you have to contribute to this experience!

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 08:33 AM
link   
Nice.

I have been wondering what happened to writing conest thingamjigies.

I'm gonna try and come up with something.

*starts thinking*

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 04:54 PM
link   
I already got part 1 of mine rocking and rolling, this should be interesting never did a writing competition deal here on ATS

Un-intended Company [EWC]

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 05:06 PM
link   
Whips out his decoder ring.
Calibrates it to the subtle nuances of the threads premise. Opens drawer to the ancient manuscript. Verifies the content of the message. Unties his left shoe, pulls it off and dials headquarters.

Gives the secret pass phrase...

"John has a long mustache, John has a long mustache...."

Hangs up and makes himself a hot pocket and checks his inbox for a message from Grey Fox....

edit on 1-7-2013 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 06:40 AM
link   
Oh I'm in!

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 10:47 AM
link   
Great entries so far guys, just getting them all read and stickied this afternoon!

Keep them coming!

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 11:12 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

Flags can be based on popular ppl how does an underdog get a fair shake , granted people that do not like something does not have to flag anything I am just asking, to me it does not seem like a fair contest. I humbly ask is, do you read all EWC or is it really just like that based on flags?
edit on 2-7-2013 by Brotherman because: (no reason given)

edit on 3-7-2013 by Brotherman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 11:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Brotherman

I empathize, as mainstay/established members naturally do get more looks off the bat because they've already proven themselves. Having said that, don't be discouraged as it is still entirely possible to get reads and place in the contest to get writer status. I managed to scrape my way into 3rd place on my first attempt while feeling disadvantaged for the reasons you stated, but all in all we're all here in the short story forum because we want to read something interesting and help out like minded individuals. Good luck and have fun writing!

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join