It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Genetically modified cabbage with scorpion poison coming soon.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 27 2013 @ 06:03 PM
link   
Scorpion poison! Want some scorpion genes with your salad? No? Too bad, you are going to get them whether you like it or not:

In the newer incarnation of scorpion poison genetic engineering, genes from the scorpion, Androctonus australus hector, for production of poison are being genetically engineered into cabbages. The goal is to produce them for public consumption. With the FDA’s history of rubberstamp approvals for genetically modified crops, it seems unlikely that anything will interfere with their production and entry into a supermarket near you.

Source

Besides the "there is just something inherently evil about scorpions" ick factor, there are good reasons for mistrusting this particular frankenfood. Scientists claim its safe for humans, but the only tests done were not on live healthy humans but human cells; specifically, human breast-cancer cells. Hardly conclusive IMHO. They claim the poison will mean less need to spray pesticides: true -- the pesticides will now be automatically inside the plant, this finding their way into your body quicker than ever.

And according to the loopy laws, once a farmer starts using genetically modified seeds, he is contractually bound to do so forever.

The state of agribusiness is a disgrace. Did you know that 80% of processed foods in the US are banned in other nations? But I digress. That's processed food and in a sense this is even worse...cabbage straight from the ground. Nor is this only a US problem: it's global.

Is nothing sacred anymore?
edit on 6/27/2013 by silent thunder because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2013 @ 06:09 PM
link   
I'd rather pay extra to have someone sit in a field with a flyswatter.

posted on Jun, 27 2013 @ 06:12 PM
link   
This is so exciting! Were just a few years away from the movie 'AttacK of the killer Tomatoes'

Imagine being chased around by a 20 kilo cabbage trying to sting you?

posted on Jun, 27 2013 @ 06:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Knives4eyes

Ahaha You I like

Great mind you have !!

posted on Jun, 27 2013 @ 06:14 PM
link   
reply to post by dashen

lol don't worry , spider goats will save us all!

posted on Jun, 27 2013 @ 06:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Knives4eyes

Scorpion cabbages? What's next?

Killer tomatoes??

posted on Jun, 27 2013 @ 06:44 PM
link   
OP, you made a spelling mistake in the title.

It should read - Genetically modified GaRbage

posted on Jun, 27 2013 @ 06:58 PM
link   
Huh
I eat a lot of cabbage.

posted on Jun, 27 2013 @ 07:00 PM
link   
Please, can someone give me ONE reason why this is a good idea? Just one is all I'm asking for. I'd love to hear it.

Who comes up with this idiocy and how can ANYONE buy into it? What the hell has this country become where we let people get away with crap like this?

posted on Jun, 27 2013 @ 07:53 PM
link   
My wife loves cabbage. Looks like Monsanto is saving me some grief, when she eats cabbage she stinks for hours and it's rotten to the core. One time they are doing me a favor. Good thing I don't eat the stuff, aside from saur kraut but I rarely ever eat that, unless it's on a Reuben.

posted on Jun, 27 2013 @ 08:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheSpanishArcher
Please, can someone give me ONE reason why this is a good idea? Just one is all I'm asking for. I'd love to hear it.

Um, because its not as toxic as 2, 4-d?

Just kiddin...

reply to post by silent thunder

Love that drawing in the OP article, that says it all!

S&F
edit on 27-6-2013 by burntheships because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2013 @ 08:47 PM
link   
reply to post by silent thunder

oh yes a bit of scorpion poison

posted on Jun, 27 2013 @ 09:00 PM
link   
reply to post by burntheships

Thanks for the laugh, especially after all the ridiculousness I've read today. Sparkler bans, gag orders on kids because of a shirt, scorpion poison in cabbage, what's next?

That's just one days news and we supposedly haven't heard the last from Snowden.

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 07:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by silent thunder
Genetically modified cabbage with scorpion poison coming soon.

"coming soon"?

If its coming soon, we should at least know by now the name of the company releasing it.
Challenge: NAME IT.

If its coming soon, we should at least know by now where test plants were grown.
Challenge: NAME that place.

If its coming soon, we should at least have some evidence at all, that such cabbages actually exist.
Challenge: Provide *any evidence whatsoever* that any such genetically engineered cabbages have ever been actually grown, ever.

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 11:57 AM
link   
reply to post by alfa1

Here you go, for a start!
Where

And the subject is touched on here
genetics

Still digging for more.

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 12:13 PM
link   
reply to post by chiefsmom

Interesting that they tried the scorpion venom directly as a spray on pesticide way back in 1994. Why aren't we using that now?

Pesticide

Sprayed in UK

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 12:20 PM
link   
You going to post about all the other poisonous foods we eat every single day?

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 12:26 PM
link   
reply to post by TheSpanishArcher

Yes, tell me!
I'll bet Obama is kicking himself for lowering the flouride in the water supply about now!

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 01:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by chiefsmom
Where

Good find.
Because the original article was so poorly written that it made absolutely no mention of any such thing at all.

Edit - but I'm still trying to find any more information. Its almost like this "venomous cabbage" is an urban legend that EVERYONE knows about.... but cant actually track down anyone who's actually done it.

edit on 28-6-2013 by alfa1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 01:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Knives4eyes

top topics

<<   2 >>

join