It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Norovirus Outbreak at Yellowstone Highlights Camping Health Hazards

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 23 2013 @ 02:34 PM
link   

Norovirus Outbreak at Yellowstone Highlights Camping Health Hazards

abcnews.go.com

Those heading on a camping trip this summer might want to be just as wary of crossing paths with the wrong bacteria as they would a hungry bear.

After 200 park employees and visitors reported bouts of gastrointestinal illness at Yellowstone National Park and nearby Grand Teton National Park this month, national park officials have warned visitors to be vigilant about hygiene.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 23 2013 @ 02:34 PM
link   
Always thought everything about Yellowstone was interesting, then came across this a moment ago.

I wonder if it's a way to keep people from going there. Just curious as to what others might think.

I searched but at the time didn't find any other threads. Then again, I am very, very tired.

Apparently, I don't have enough of a unique opinion, what could I say, about this? Will this keep me from posting this story? Turns out. . .no

abcnews.go.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 23-6-2013 by Divine Strake because: The rent in Yellowstone is too damn high.

posted on Jun, 23 2013 @ 03:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Divine Strake

Actually I don't think it's to keep people away from those areas. The Appalacian Trail has had issues with Norovirus for the past 2 years, with a large group of backpackers getting ill all at the same place and/or time along the trail. I don't think it's much of a stretch to think that perhaps someone who was carrying it, could've visited both places, as you are contagious for something like 3 days after you get it, and is carried in your stool for 2 weeks after you start feeling better. Out on the trail, or in the woods, cleanliness isn't always a priority, and so an illness like this spreads like wildfire.

Best bets for prevention....
Hand sanitizer
Hand washing (where possible)
Never share food or drink with anyone else.
Never shake hands with folks you meet on the trail.
Use your shirt or some sort of hand cover when you open public toilet stalls and doors.
Don't sleep in public shelters or hostels- use your own tent and pitch it some distance from other people.

That was a list I picked up off another site for backpackers, as this has been an issue for some time now, unfortunately.

S n F for you for bringing this to everyone's attention!! Great job OP.

edit on 6/23/2013 by SweetKarma because: (no reason given)

join