It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ancient Egyptian statue has started MOVING sparking fears it has been struck by a

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 24 2013 @ 06:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by micpsi
Resonance does not create the torque needed to twist the statuette a full 180 degrees. If the glass base is not horizontal, any vibration would make it slide along in a line. But it does not slide. It just rotates. Vibration in resonance plus an uneven surface cannot explain the rotation.

An uneven base could explain the rotation with simple vibration. The statue is obviously uneven in weight, with the back part heavier than the front.

If there is a minute pivoting point on the base, such as a foam pad added to the center, this could create an axis on which the vibration allows it to move.

So, in my opinion, there is a likelihood that the shelf is on slight incline. The front is perhaps a millimeter or so lower than the back. With the addition of a small pivoting point on the base, the vibration of passing traffic can allow it to turn. The heavier side would have a natural pull through gravitational force to the lower side of the shelf.

As for why this has only recently started, it could be that the statue has been moved into that position recently, this is not mentioned in the story. It could be that the shelf has been altered, something added to it to increase the weight on the front of the cabinet. It could even be something as minute as a temperature change allowing for less friction, have they added heating or air conditioning recently?

There are a lot of things to rule out. I would start by filming on a day when there are no passing people, this will prove whether vibration is the most plausible cause. If it still moves, I would film on a day when passing vehicle traffic is low, and see if it still moves - or moves less in response to less passing traffic, just doing this on a Sunday could reveal a lot. This would again prove whether vibration is the reason.

If it still moves, I would consider turning off all heating or air conditioning and film again without passing traffic.

If it still moves after that, I would use some equipment to register minute vibrations that might be coming from a nearby venue or business (perhaps there's a piece of machinery nearby creating vibration during the day?)

Ultimately, there would need be a process of elimination of the most plausible and common causes before we get to the realms of resonance, or magnetism, or eventually "supernatural" possibilities. There doesn't seem to be any real effort to even rule out the most basic explanations, so they'll continue to milk this for the attention and the less-educated will keep coming and disregarding basic science

edit on 24-6-2013 by Rocker2013 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2013 @ 07:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by crzayfool
Logical explanation

Baring in mind I just watched the video and haven't read the entire thread yet, so I apologise if this has already been touched upon.

Explanation;
1. The statue is placed upon a very shiny, smooth glass surface.
2. The statues base is elongated, unlike the other statues that are next to it.
3. When people walk past it vibrates/wobbles the glass, which may not be perfect level, causing the statue to ever-so-slightly turn.
4. This continues until the statues elongated end faces the "downhill" direction of the glass surface (being toward the back of the cabinet).

Notice that it stops at 180* and no longer continues to move - this to me indicates that the elongated end is putting the statue off-balance. The bottom of the statue is most likely not flat either and could act as a pivot.

Sound reasonable enough?

~ CrzayFool

This is a good explanation but it still leaves the question as to why this has only started in recent weeks and not during the previous 80yrs it has been in the museum ?

Woody

posted on Jun, 24 2013 @ 07:05 AM
link   
use two sided tape on bottom....

mystery solved.... or at least prevented from happening

posted on Jun, 24 2013 @ 07:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by GargIndia
These are bad "omens".

Statues do not move on its own. However their are forces that people do not understand.

There are omens occurring foretelling events that includes massive destruction in the UK.

I totally agree that there are forces in this world that people do not understand.

However ...

If your theory about the statue movement being an Omen is correct why would you automatically assume it had to be bad ... why couldn't it be a Good Omen ?

And why would you assume it indicated destruction in the UK when the statue itself originated from Egypt ?

Woody

posted on Jun, 24 2013 @ 07:26 AM
link   
reply to post by NorEaster

Because there is less traffic at night and therefore less vibration

posted on Jun, 24 2013 @ 07:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Signals

Ancient Egyptian statue has started MOVING sparking fears
Maybe the statue wants to go to the bathroom and nobody help's her(him).

posted on Jun, 24 2013 @ 07:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Signals

Super-weird. If there is a curse attached to it, it really should be returned.

posted on Jun, 24 2013 @ 07:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by EA006
reply to post by Signals

Super-weird. If there is a curse attached to it, it really should be returned.

The curse of Increased Visitors Numbers strikes again. If only Osiris had invoked its mighty powers earlier..

posted on Jun, 24 2013 @ 08:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Signals

Dont worry about it...
Agents Bering and Lattimer from the US Secret Service
and Warehouse 13 will be there any day now to retrieve the
artifact.

posted on Jun, 24 2013 @ 08:28 AM
link   
Seems to me that a museum at a university ought to be able to do some research. It's a cool story but it seems like a carnival trick to me. I realize that the there is no admission fee, but they do accept donations. A lack of scientific examination at a university tells me they have no interest in resolving this... that's either because they already know there's nothing mysterious or simply would just rather enjoy the hype.

posted on Jun, 24 2013 @ 08:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Signals

I would give in to the prayer on the back requesting ‘bread, beer, oxen and fowl’.
Furthermore, I do NOT believe this has anything to do with a prank, loose floor boards or vibrations!

posted on Jun, 24 2013 @ 08:48 AM
link   
Maybe some ghost just didn't want to look at the damned thing.

posted on Jun, 24 2013 @ 09:02 AM
link   
it's resonance, only at day it moves, and only in the last weeks, I say there are street works nearby.

cursed... nah... never...

posted on Jun, 24 2013 @ 09:04 AM
link   
Good post OP, it immediately made me think of this:

Way out in Egypt in the valley of kings
Where mummified pharaohs pretend dead in their sleep
Don't touch, never ever steal
Unless you're in for the kill
Or you'll be hit by the curse of the pharaohs
Yes you'll be hit and the curse is on you
Now if you're breakin' the seals and disturbing the peace
Then you're startin' up a curse
Bringing evil disease
Don't touch, never ever steal
Unless you're in for the kill
Or you'll be hit by curse of the pharaohs
Yes you'll be hit and the curse is on you...

edit on 24-6-2013 by Nucleardoom because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2013 @ 09:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by MConnalley
I'm wondering what is its official heading its facing... maybe something worth wile in that direction...?

Ooops... sorry wrong reply. I wanted to reply to another poster.
edit on 24-6-2013 by Fromabove because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2013 @ 09:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by nake13
reply to post by Signals

A high ferrous content in the statue, causing it to swing toward magnetic North?, Assuming that the direction to which it moves is North of course.

Yes, that and the slight vibration of the traffic outside the building. I can do this with a magnet but there's nothing wrong with the magnet.

posted on Jun, 24 2013 @ 09:09 AM
link   
It does move when people are not there, if you go "frame by frame" you will see it move a little.
Why aren't the other statues moving? Maybe underneath, there is some work going on, or pipe that is cause vibrations from below. Its weird either way

posted on Jun, 24 2013 @ 09:25 AM
link   
Just looking at it again, I am not sold o the "vibration" thing actually. It could be part of the reason, however, it seems this statue hasn't done this before. Could it be that they did something to the base of the statue that made it "slippery?" Cleaned it in some way? Perhaps, the vibration would only be part of the reason coupled with a slippery base.

posted on Jun, 24 2013 @ 09:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Nucleardoom

edit on 24-6-2013 by Signals because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2013 @ 09:42 AM
link   
Sounds like this museum is trying to boost attendance.

Sensationalize much?

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join