It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Healing Drum

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 05:46 PM
link   
I read this great book called The Healing Drum at a time in my life when I was especially down and out. It's about Yaya Diallo, a member of a West African Fulani tribe. He experienced the French colonization of his homelands as a child and was westernized as a teenager. Finding himself isolated, melancholy, and thousands of miles away from home, he returned to the healing drums of his youth--he recorded this album.

I hope you enjoy it at least half as much as I do! I have taken the liberty of uploading it to youtube to share it with you folks--otherwise it's nowhere to be found on that site.

Yaya plays all the congas, djembes, and balafons on the album. I believe he also uses a few other traditional instruments such as the "talking drum." With some help from the flute, the album captures the very traditional and beautiful sounds of Yaya's village.

I listen to this album whenever I need to get centered again; just as Yaya recorded it because he was off-center.

It is quite a beautiful album that begins fast and strong, but slowly achieves tranquility.

I'm also a bit of an amateur drummer. I listen to this album for inspiration and attempt to find my own seat of tranquility by playing my own djembe, balafon, and flute. Although I'm far from being a talented musician, I still find that the process is a salve to my wounds. Listen below to my clumsy attempt at a Yaya inspired drum ensemble

Do you have any homegrown recordings of your "healing" music? What music smooths the wrinkles of your soul?

edit on 21-6-2013 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 06:15 PM
link   
reply to post by NarcolepticBuddha

I love drums. I tried to learn when i was younger, but my mom almost threw me out of the house

This is a hand drum solo from my all time favorite drummer Scott Colombus.

What music smooths the wrinkles of your soul?

It might sound weird, but heavy metal is the only music that can calm me down. Manowar is my number one choice.

posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 06:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Phantom traveller

Drums are awesome! It's never too late to learn either. There are some other vids of me drumming floating around ATS
But I wanted this thread to be about music that helps one find their center.

Something about hand drums do it for me in a way that no other music can. Otherwise I mostly listen to classic rock music.

edit on 21-6-2013 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 06:32 PM
link   

I have seen your vids . You are pretty good.

My ex-boyfriend was a drummer and he was trying to show me a few tricks. I wasn't a very good student...

posted on Jun, 22 2013 @ 11:30 PM
link   

Thanks for that NB. Music is such a healer !

I find this band to be good for the soul ...

I also find this to be haunting and quite spiritual in its essence ...

I hope you enjoy them.

S&F.

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 03:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Timely

Thanks for that NB. [color=#FFB900]Music is such a healer !
I find this band to be good for the soul ...
[clipped]
I also find this to be haunting and quite spiritual in its essence ...
[clipped]
I hope you enjoy them.

S&F.

Okay, embassis on THAT ...
again...

[color=#FFB900]Music is such a healer!

Indeed... I would much rather go blind than deaf some times... for the precise reason as that music is a beautiful thing.... Healing-music, meditating-ful-music, and even silence (can be so loud, yes?) ... is just awesome to behold
edit on 28-6-2013 by schmirror because: code

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 08:32 PM
link   
reply to post by schmirror

Yes silence can be almost deafening, add complete darkness and it can be almost too much!

I'll take the music thanks !

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 02:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Timely
reply to post by schmirror

Yes silence can be almost deafening, add complete darkness and it can be almost too much!

I'll take the music thanks !

Me too. Music is great. Yup, I wouldn't want to be left in silent darkness either. Sounds like a recipe for insanity.

new topics

top topics

join