It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Paula Deen uses the N-Word - gets sued - right or worng?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 04:36 PM
link   
reply to post by JohnPhoenix

Policing language is just plain wrong, regardless of how hurtful the language is. It's one step down from thought policing. "Free" my ass, there's nothing free about having to worry about what words we choose to say. Sexual harassment is obviously unacceptable though.

posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 04:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by spacedoubt
Paula Deen Fired from Food Network.

www.huffingtonpost.com...

I think she has a good case to sue Food Network. These happenings did not have anything to do with her show or her partnership with the network.

How do you think she feels right now? Devastated I'll bet. Getting her show canceled for doing something that was legal and within her right to do. I'd raise Holy Georgia Hell and fight the corrupt system back.

posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 04:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by LeatherNLace

Misleading thread title. Paula dean is not being sued for using the N-word.

From the actual text of the lawsuit:

Defendants have violated Ms. Jackson's rights under Georgia law to be free of sexual harassment in the workplace, to be free from assault, to be free from battery and to be free from the intentional and negligent infliction of emotional distress, and other rights as set forth in more detail below.

Ms. Jackson was subjected to violent behavior by Bubba Hiers, violent behavior that included sexual harassment of Ms. Jackson and other female employees and assault and battery of Ms. Jackson. Mr. Hiers‘ violent behavior also included racial harassment, assault, battery and other humiliating conduct practiced upon the employees managed by Ms. Jackson. The conduct described herein is no mere offensive utterance; the conduct was threatening, even physically threatening, and universally humiliating. The staff of Uncle Bubba‘s Seafood and Oyster House, Inc. (“Uncle Bubba's restaurant") lived in fear of Bubba Hiers.

It also appears that Ms. Jackson made attempts to remedy the situation within the company, but got no resolution from her efforts:

For over five (5) years, Ms. Jackson made numerous and frequent complaints of racial and sexual harassment and abusive treatment to the highest levels of corporate management and ownership, including: Defendants Paula Deen and Bubba Hiers; Paula Deen Enterprises Chief Operation Officer (CO0) and Director of Operations Theresa Fueger; the Certified Public Accountant (CPA) for the Paula Deen Family of Companies, Karl Schumacher; and to the attorney for Defendants, James P. Gerard. The conduct was universally known and tolerated within the ownership and management levels of the corporate enterprise, and by corporate
counsel and no remedy was offered.

www.atlawblog.com...

OP, if you want to have an honest discussion about the lawsuit, then be honest in your presentation of the facts.

I didn't have access to the lawsuit. I presented the facts as I knew them from the article. This is also where the title came from.

Seems to me reading your material that Lisa Jackson has more of a problem with the brother - but included Paula Deen probably because she has money and the girl wants to hurt Paula's reputation. Since Paula herself didn't do anything illegal, Paula should counter sue for deformation of character. Bad taste is not illegal.

I also find it odd and telling that If the girl was so uncomfortable in the job, then why did she stay so long? Seems like entrapment to me, knowing Paula Deen was making tons of money. She simply waited for the right moment to strike.

posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 04:55 PM
link   
reply to post by InverseLookingGlass

ignorance?

consider this post by member "glass" (which i starred)

posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 05:02 PM
link   
Paula Deen makes public apology and pleads that her and her family are not the kind of people the media is trying to make them out to be.

There are 3 videos at this link.

www.huffingtonpost.com...

I do not believe she should apologize for doing nothing illegal - at this time - she should have waited until the trial was over. In many peoples minds this may seem like an admission of guilt. Where was her lawyer?

edit on 21-6-2013 by JohnPhoenix because: sp

posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 05:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by supremecommander

Originally posted by whyamIhere
I think if Ms. Jackson does not like the N-word.

Then she should not use it...

How do you know she uses it? Because she's black?

That's pretty stupid on your part...and um, you know.

I don't know any of these people.

The women is suing because she does not like a "Word".

And you say I'm stupid? I assumed nothing, unlike you.

posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 05:18 PM
link   

Paula Deen uses the N-Word - gets sued - right or worng?

Paula Deen is from the small town of Albany, Georgia... about 75 miles from where I currently live. I know it well. It's a dusty little burg with a small mall and a small college and really, not much else. Her history includes surviving an abusive spouse and raising her kids as a single mom.

But, none of that excuses her poor choice of words. She probably learned them from her parents who, in their day, spoke them without a second thought. That happens to kids and it's why we even here today chastise poor parenting skills.

She moved to Savannah, Georgia and opened her kitchen on Jones Street... all of which I am very familiar with as I grew up there.

When I moved here from Savannah in 1980, there was a world of difference over a path of just a little over 300 miles. I can identify with her situation as we each went the opposite direction but both ended up in the other's childhood area.

Savannah has some of the worst race relations of anywhere in this nation because it was a slave trading hub that evolved into a place where even after emancipation, blacks were held in such disdain that they lived in hovels we imagine in third world nations up to and through the late 1960s. Today, racism in Savannah is a two-way street and there is a lot of tension.

I wish I could tell Ms. Deen to make her apologies and then, take your fame and wealth and go back home to Albany. Back here in this region, slavery was almost a myth as even the richest weren't so well off as to afford that kind of horrid luxury. Come home... reconnect with your roots and then take the lesson and apply it to those today of ALL colors who desperately need you.

Ms. Deen? I hope you somehow read this.

posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 05:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Glass

I agree with your point of manners and civility completely .
Come on people it's not that difficult .
Peace
FreeFalling

posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 05:46 PM
link   

I think she feels pretty bad. She lost a pretty major gig.

And...She moved past a cultural upbringing, where probably this kind of language was acceptable. At least, she claims she did. And even in moving past this, she may wonder "If I am being punished for the past, what was the point then?" It may make a lot of people wonder that now. I'm not sure that's healthy a progression of thought.

posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 06:07 PM
link   
I'm really offended by the person suing her, maybe I could sue them.

In this country you are suppossed to have the right to say what you want racial slurs included, we are allowed to be racist. Or at least we were suppossed to be able to. This type of crap right here is where we need to draw the line as a society. She should not have been fired and being sued over it is total bs. What happened to freedom of speech?

I don't care to be around racist people, I don't care to be around rude people but I believe in other peoples rights to be whoever the hell they want to be. If I don't like it/them I leave their company.

And seriously who the hell here has not said something repulsive in quick anger? Next thing you know they'll be policing us through our tv's fining us over cusswords and the like.

I feel bad for her.

edit on 21-6-2013 by brandiwine14 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 06:08 PM
link   
Why are they on about this slave stuff? Seriously. So stupid.

I don't plan on owning a slave, and I don't care if your ancestors were slaves or not I really don't. I grew up in a totally different era im afraid. Slavery is a humanity problem, not a racial one.

I also don't see the problem with having black servers in white tuxedos. I don't see the racism in that. If i was a waiter and black people wanted to hire me to wear a black tuxedo to their wedding, by gosh, id do it.

I may be naive, but i just don't see the racism.
edit on 21-6-2013 by milkyway12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 06:18 PM
link   
The woman that is suing her is WHITE!!!

"The deposition is a part of a lawsuit filed in Chatham County, GA by former employee Lisa T. Jackson. Jackson, who is white, filed the suit against Deen, her company Paula Deen Enterprises and her brother Earl "Bubba" Hiers in March 2012."

www.kltv.com...

posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 06:31 PM
link   

If we jailed every person who ever uttered the "n" word, then the entire US population would consist of 3 albino Alaskans.

I too, am so sick of political correctness.

GET OVER IT!

SnF

posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 06:42 PM
link   
Has everyone forgotten about Mel Gibson and the cop . . Near ruined his career .
Michael Richards and his rant at a comedy club . It DID ruin his career.

Racist comments are just uncalled for ,in general .
Doesn't matter who is saying it . Rich ,famous ,average Joe .

As for ms Deen ,she's a hypocritical twank .
She shouldn't be sued for saying it ,but she shouldn't have said it . People in the public eye positions ,should get this . They lose jobs and endorsements etc etc . Have a clue ,and use common sense .
edit on 6/21/13 by PtolemyII because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 06:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by AshleyD
I'm not a lawyer so am not sure on all the legalities but I do know there is such a thing as 'creating a hostile work environment.' Using the word itself would be covered under freedom of speech (but you can still sue for anything).

However, if it can be proven her behavior was 'creating a hostile work environment,' then there is a chance she could be held liable.

Even if she is found to not be liable, it's not exactly good business sense to be throwing the word around.

THis nails it.

Moreover, if she wins there is every likelihood that she would be able to retain her position as manager if she wished.

posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 06:59 PM
link   
reply to post by redoubt

Very nice post.

The thing is, words are words. Just words. People say, "Words mean something". And I agree. But I think they only mean what they were intended to mean. I mean, i have had a girlfriend in my youth exclaim, "I am going to kill you" right before she grabbed me up and kissed me. I can imagine others have heard those same words with a much less favorable ending.

Words are just words. The best part of it is, it makes stupid people easier to spot: they are the ones who worry about things like words and flags and other nonsense. It is meaning and intent that matters.

posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 10:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by bigfatfurrytexan
[
Moreover, if she wins there is every likelihood that she would be able to retain her position as manager if she wished.

I can't see her wanting to continue to work for someone who she sued. This would sens alarm bells through me as if something is not quite right with this picture.

If she did continue to work for me after something like this, I'd find another way to fire her quick.

I'd like to see Paula dropped from the suit with a full apology from Lisa Jackson as well as the food network ( who would also give her her show back) Let her continue to sue the brother if she wants.

What IF the trail finished and Paula herself was found innocent? I think they should apologize in that case.

posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 10:29 PM
link   
that word is screamed at everyone on pretty much any online game, especially by black people.

NOT MAKING THAT UP. are you totally shocked now??

posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 10:36 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

You know,I've never once used that word,in my life . Never ...
I've also never even tried a cigarette or pot . I'm a bit of a radical I guess .

posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 10:38 PM
link   

apologies are meaningless outside the plebe's social status. We trade in apologies, they trade in dollars.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join