It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NSA admits listening to U.S. phone calls without warrants - Angry yet?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 03:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by elouina
reply to post by AQuestion

To quote you:

If you do not like that then use regular mail and a land line.

You mentioned that land lines were safe, well they are not. Just read the article like I mentioned. No matter whose side you are on, you need to be informed. This recent admission by the NSA is very bad news here. And how are we certain now that our regular mail is even safe? Who can we trust now?

Deear elouina,

Maybe the physical mail isn't safe; but, you know the internet and cell phones are not. Which is a better bet?

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 03:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by MsAphrodite
reply to post by AQuestion

You don't publish your private emails, phone calls, and texts. You use the internet on a forum such as this with the expectation that your identity can remain private.

Do I seriously have to explain to you why what is being done in the name of national security is wrong, insidious and the most evil form of tyranny?

Dear MsAphrodite,

LOL, a thread about how they read what we say on the internet and your response is that you think government doesn't read these things? Maybe they should not read what we post; but, understand that they do. Wake up and recognize what intelligence agencies do, they read, listen to and watch whatever they can. That is reality, tell me it is not.

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 03:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by elouina
For the first time in my life, I am absolutely speechless! We were told it was going to get much worse, and look at this! Just look!

I know but this won't be the line in the sand either. I honestly thought the TSA in the airports would be the straw that broke the camel's back but it wasn't and neither will this.

What really shocks me are the amount of people who simply don't care. Over the past week at work I swear I have had at least a dozen people tell me "If you're not doing anything wrong, then you don't have to worry about anything".

People are so complacent it's scary. I honestly don't think most people care now.

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 04:58 AM
link   
I am not a lawyer, but I think the US government told us exactly what they were doing and how they would do it with PUBLIC LAW 107–56—OCT. 26, 2001 UNITING AND STRENGTHENING AMERICA BY PROVIDING APPROPRIATE TOOLS REQUIRED TO INTERCEPT AND OBSTRUCT TERRORISM (USA PATRIOT ACT) ACT OF 2001 .

I guess now some of you are beginning to understand why many of us were against this law over 10 years ago. However, people did not care so much about it then because they were afraid of the "terrorists" that "hated our freedom". And now many people still do not care because they have over 10 years of complacency.

But I am happy to see that more and more of you are beginning to wake up. Just wait until you see what you have missed the last eleven years.

"You ain't seen nothin' yet..."

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 05:12 AM
link   
reply to post by elouina

I wonder how much those jobs pay?!

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 05:17 AM
link   
people wont get it until its way too late to act, fact is, the citizens of the US
do not trust our government, we obviously cannot trust our government
as they chose to do this behind our backs anyway, and this being the case
the real question is what else is going on that we aren't "allowed" to know
for national security and what all actually falls under that blanket? this can
really only end badly, its just pathetic.

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 05:36 AM
link   
The NSA has been doing this for a long time. They've been busted many times before yet here they are, still doing it. After the media #e-storm fades away, they'll still be doing it. When Bush was in office, they were doing it. When a new president gets elected in 2016, they'll still be doing it.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 05:50 AM
link   
i wonder how much freedom to choose the target of phone calls they have, can an operative just pick a name out of a phone book, lets say, bill gates, and just listen to his phone calls. I wonder if the rules of inside trading apply to any info gained like this?

nah probably not, just tip off JP Morgan now and then and its all good.

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 06:01 AM
link   
reply to post by elouina

Okay guys, now you all know for a fact that several people have lied under oath, that the president lied to the public, and that the NSA has undoubtedly and unquestioningly beached the Constitution.

What next?

This is all before the rest of Snowden's revelations have been released too.

I called it last week, but I very much doubt Obama will still be president by the end of the summer.

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 06:36 AM
link   
reply to post by elouina

I always thought they could listen to your phone calls, they just couldn't use anything they found against you in a court of law. Same thing with the Cops. They could do certain things to get information, but they knew by the means they were gathering the information, it couldn't be used in Court.

The NSA job is to gather intel so that they can stop attacks against the this country. I'm sure they do all sorts of things that skirt the law or break it sometimes. But as long as its not used to put Americans in jail i think its a gray area and that's where intelligence agencies live - a big gray world.

Now, if you said they through Americans in jail because of data they gained this way that would be different. Just saying they listen to phone calls without a warrant is not surprising at all.

V

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 07:13 AM
link   
has anyone else noticed the news is focusing mostly on the IRS "scandal" instead of the NSA? people expect the IRS to play dirty, but people listening in to private conversations, texts, and emails is a different story.

hopefully this will get much more recognition.

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 07:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Biigs
i wonder how much freedom to choose the target of phone calls they have, can an operative just pick a name out of a phone book, lets say, bill gates, and just listen to his phone calls. I wonder if the rules of inside trading apply to any info gained like this?

nah probably not, just tip off JP Morgan now and then and its all good.

I'd imagine the computer systems sift through all the calls looking for keywords, someone shouting, or fast talking, then forwarding that to an agent to investigate.

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 07:35 AM
link   
Ok, let's say they have a few thousand agents going through emails ... in the US there are 300 million people. One third sends email every day, and then receive a lot of email from all over the planet every day. That makes one third, is emailing 1-10 emails per day. That means, every agent would have to go through a few thousand email each, daily.

Sorry, not going to happen ... that they watch your email, if you happen to be on their bad-ass list. Or if their compter happens to pick you up in an automatic search ... sure. Other than that. You're just a needle in a haystack, and the probability of them finding you is slim at the best.

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 07:36 AM
link   
I'm really wondering wth is going on, I just posted a very eerie experience I had just now on my phone\www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 07:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by dragonridr

Originally posted by Ex_CT2
reply to post by elouina

But ... but ... but ... didn't our wonderful heroic president just say the other day that no one is listening to our phone calls? And that we could trust our government? Oh my! I'm so dismayed and confused. Someone is lying to us. Who am I supposed to believe...?

Dont worry theyll tell you what to think very soon. You know it started out a joke but it really isnt funny is it?

They've been telling us what to think for the last 60 years or so.. and the instructions
come out of those boxes in your living room and kitchen. For a joke, we're the unwitting
punchline.

Angry yet... most of the eloi (no caps, standard common species don't get them) don't
even know what awake is yet. How do you know what a lie is when you've been living
inside one for two or three generations? 'Normalcy Bias' is just wordcrafting for denial.
There's no place like Stockholm......

Personally I can't afford to get emotional about inevitable paths dug in for me; but when
the path picked is unlawful I make public mention of it. Paid plenty for my principles,
about to pay everything like a lot of other people. But that's the difference: I thought
patriots were people that were willing to die for what THEY believed in, not someone
else's belief(s).

Signpost up ahead---Rod Serling's ashtray. Bust those guys, I smell bacon.
edit on 16-6-2013 by derfreebie because: emotion inhibits action.

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 08:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rocker2013
reply to post by elouina

Okay guys, now you all know for a fact that several people have lied under oath, that the president lied to the public, and that the NSA has undoubtedly and unquestioningly beached the Constitution.

What next?

This is all before the rest of Snowden's revelations have been released too.

I called it last week, but I very much doubt Obama will still be president by the end of the summer.

Star. What next, Rocker? I believe strongly the people like us making noise will be
silenced by the end of the summer just by poverty, then other more creative oppression.
Trust me, I'm fifteen or so years ahead of the general public's curve.

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 08:49 AM
link   
Unfortunately, Pandora's box has been opened, and read and listened to
There is no going back, doesn't matter how many bills or amendments are passed. We definitely are past the point of no return. It's now a game of hide and seek.

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 09:02 AM
link   
reply to post by elouina

I don't have the energy to be angry.

Why?

Because they've been doing this kind of b.s. for decades, we just didn't have wikileaks telling us to our faces even though some might have suspected it.

Snowden may have let the cat out of the bag, but that cat was mummified a long time ago inside that bag.

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 09:09 AM
link   
reply to post by elouina

This doesn't surprise me at all. I figure if I don't talk about stupid stuff, like killing members of the NSA, then I should be safe. If you want to listen to my everyday babble, be prepared to be very bored. Most of us don't have anything of real importance to say. How many posts here, like this one, are of real importance ... maybe .1 %?

Yes, it does upset me. Our freedoms are slowly being taken away, but the concern is a generational one. Today's youth doesn't care - it's obvious when they post the status of their bowl movement on CrackBook, or their Clitter feed. This is the world they live in, and most like it. They want everyone around them to know what they are doing, where they are doing it, and let everyone know immediately when it happens. Our technology is designed to allow for this and they love it!

Are they listening? As a test, call someone and talk about doing something really, really, really bad to the POTUS. Then wait and see if anyone shows up at your front door ...

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 09:14 AM
link   
Obama just said no one was "listening" to our phone calls. He was very deliberate in his phrasing. So now they are listening.
If the raping of our privacy for our security was their goal, why couldn't they stop the Boston bombings before they happened?
Next we will learn that the FEMA train cars with guillotines are a reality.
The US federal government has been preparing for revolution for at least twelve years.
I think it's time we do the same.
Where is your line in the sand?
Mine has been crossed.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join