It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mainstream consumers waking up to Xbox1 spying on them! Amazon leading the wake up call!

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 11:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by FollowTheWhiteRabbit
Microsoft: "Can't play used games."

Me: "Uh... Okay. I guess I'll still buy your system."

Microsoft: "And the Kinect 2 will always need to be plugged in."

Me: "Wait, what?"

Microsoft: "And there are some privacy issues with it."

Me: "... I guess I could just turn the Kinect 2 around so it isn't watching me."

Microsoft: "Nope, you sign a contract when you buy a movie, so if the Kinect 2 sees more people in the room than is allowed in the contract, it won't play it."

Me: "I guess I'm buying a PS4."

Sony: "We won't have any of those things. Suck it, Gates."

Are they really creating a limit on how many people watch a film you buy on your xbox? That's insane and I don't understand how they don't see it.

The "no re-useable games" thing was enough of a last straw for me. That alone made me not only want to not buy an x-box, but it made me actually want to campaign against their insane greed.

If we allow xbox to get away with this crap, it will set a precedent in the industry regarding what customers seemingly will and will not accept. You guys know how it goes (at least the smart ones do... c'mon... it's common sense...) they will take as much leeway and as much power as you're willing to give them.

Or we can send them a loud and clear message that we will not accept this crap. Will not allow them to tell us how we can and can't use the products we pay for. And then, when enough of us tell them this, we can watch as they run away with their tail tucked between their legs, and sprint to the drawing board to draft up plans for the new-and-improved DRM-free Xbox one-point-five.

Seriously.... Don't let them get away with this crap. Xbox has had the corner on the market for years. And they somewhat deserved it. The first xbox and the 360 were great systems (despite some of their major flaws... **cough cough, crappy thermal paste* cough* red ring of death,*cough**). But they don't "deserve" it any longer. They're trying to play you all for suckers.

Who's first in line to bend over for them?

edit on 16-6-2013 by iwilliam because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 12:20 PM
link   
Love francis videos. great stuff.

Anyhow, So long Xbox. its been real.

-hugs and marries his gaming PC-

Ya, xbox 1 (stupid name) is trash. I understand the piracy issue they have to contend with, but there are clever ways of dealing with piracy...and simple fact is, nothing done will be able to stop it completely. require online connectivity, a week later someone will create a mod, emulator, or actual hardware that circumvents all that.

PS4 is focused properly. Good games, good tech, and making it to where purchase and buying such stuff is as much a status symbol as owning a car verses riding on a bus. the whole "lists" that places like steam does is brilliant. comparing titles and such.

Also..no used games...so long redbox, gamestop, and the many mom/pop shops, not to mention just loaning to friends for a bit to see if they like it.

Playstation always is top anyhow. Xbox gave a good run, but they have pretty much ducked out of the console market. That's fine. never had any good games anyhow imo...halo..seems a teen title.

But whatever..Consoles are the bane of game development anyhow. Got to wait years and years while the industry keeps coding for obsolete systems until a new gen comes out.

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 12:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by winofiend
Guys guys guys... What up internet.

So, yeah, this is all a shambles. But Don't fear, I have the solution. THE solution.

Damn M$ for putting a camera in their device that they said they would put in their device. And how it works, OMG, it looks. AT YOU! What audacious arrogance. I mean, there you are, paying 2 days wages to buy the latest and greatest innovative machine to put a game into and they go and try to sneak in New World Order shenanigans and get even more secret sauce on your personal life. I dare say, we'll have NONE of that. Uh Uh. No sir. I get that it's supposed to be something good, like it is leading the way to have some sort of aware machine that can anticiapte your intentions and.. but have you heard alex jones lately? I mean, listen to the man, he's telling you the truth guys, ROBOTS in our homes.

No. The solution?

Problem?

Oh and Yeah that Windows 8 is sure a load of walleytot. I agree. I mean, it's basically windows 7 with a new screen on the side if you want to access it, and more applications that make it a little more in line with pretty much every mobile device out there, and you don't even need to use that side of things if you prefer not to, but how dare they.. It's just not on. It's a failboat without an anchor. And even still it wont float. So..

No Problem!

edit on 15-6-2013 by winofiend because: (no reason given)

Nice job trying to minimize invasive policies and big brother tactics, and trying to make it seem like the only alternative is to revert to stone-age technology.

Fortunately we have alternatives a good deal more advanced than 8 bit nintendo and MS DOS.

This is a big deal. People are upset about these poor choices which are advantageous for Microsoft and disadvantageous for the consumer. Slice it any way you want-- try to make it sound funny if you like, but it's not funny. And thank god, many people seem awake to their BS.

And don't feel I'm without humor. I just find jokes like in the OP, that illustrate just how invasive and horrible these decisions are to be humorous (as opposed to your post which seems intent on minimizing these things for some reason... have stock in microsoft do you?)

Of course, I should be rather used to certain people around here cheering on Big Brother any chance they get...

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 12:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by supremecommander
It seems like MS did everything in its power to purposely persuade people to NOT but their product. It's kind of strange to be honest

I had a smiliar thought. Doesn't seem to make sense at all. What gives? They had to know it was product suicide to implement all these features, and practically brag about the fact....

Or maybe that's what this all is-- a gullibility test. See just how far the fish are willing to swallow the hooks when they're made obvious....

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 12:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by SaturnFX

But whatever..Consoles are the bane of game development anyhow. Got to wait years and years while the industry keeps coding for obsolete systems until a new gen comes out.

Saturn, you said everything I feel about XBox.

Well said.

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 01:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by stumason
reply to post by BinxieTrollestia

I agree with your comments about PC's... For around £700-800 you can build a pretty decent gaming rig that outspecs the latest consoles and, for the most part, will be future proof for many years with only an occasional graphics card upgrade.

Consoles are for kiddies and morons. Real gamers have proper rigs

That said, I do have a PS3, but it is mainly used as a blu-ray player or media server - only my eldest boy plays games on it and then it is just FIFA.

As for the guy who took a swipe at Steam - They do give refunds if the game you bought is in a really bad way, but you should expect that a game bought on release day is going to be buggy. If you don't want a buggy game, don't buy on release day. There is nothing in consumer law that says they have to give you a refund, however. All that aside, they have actually brought down the cost of PC gaming and even then, have some mega-sales where AAA games can be snapped up for less than £15 and they support small developers as well.

I personally have over 100 games on Steam and yes, some I have bought have been proper shonky but everyone of those was either an early beta access, to which you should expect bugs, or a release day purchase and again, you cannot expect a flawless product until it has been out in the real world and the bugs found.

But it isn't what you think. My wife and I both have pretty nice PCs, but we have been migrating back to our now very old PS3 and 360 ... because we have a child. There is just something intrinsically easier dealing with a controller, and most console games are built with pausing, easier to quick and start back up ... while when we play on our PCs, it is usually MMOs where you have to get to a safe spot or other people are depending on your assistance.

A lot of games that are made for consoles -and- PCs, the PCs get the 'port'. They are designed for a console first, with that comes a ton of bugs and performance issues (ever play GTA IV on PC and console? huge difference, poor engine optimization for the PC).

I actually don't like steam. I didn't like that Skyrim required it ... my fault, didn't pay attention to all the little crap littered across the box. My wife and I both wish we would've just got a copy for one of the consoles instead of one for each of our PCs. I also didn't like GTA IV requiring me to download and run stuff to run the game. I think it is silly DRM, when I'm an honest, paying customer, especially when I'm using activation codes. So many examples of this: Steam and Origin being the two biggest 'you have to run us, to play your games' crap.

'Francis' in the first video is a character played by the guy in the video. It isn't real. It is for humor. If you paid attention, he is 'fake' crying. If you pay attention to his words and how he communicates, you can tell he is no dummy. He just like to do this acting using the stereotype nerd raging gamer.

That is ok if you want to hate, it shows how many posters have a deep seeded bigotry towards people. Instead of trying to understand where someone is coming from, they attack who they are and how they look. People stating this guy must live in his mom's basement ... commenting about his weight ... you are the problem in the world today, not the solution. The amount of superiority complex and judgmental state of mind is sickening. This guy makes a lot of money from what he does. Be happy for the guy being smart enough to make his money and if he is happy, why would his weight matter to -you-? It may be unhealthy, but using his weight as part of your poke fun at him tactics is no different than sexism or racism ... you are passing judgements on the guy purely because he doesn't look the way you think is right, and judging his words harsher on that.

I personally wouldn't care if he did live in his mom's basement. Where someone lives, their weight, sex, race ... none of that matters to me. I don't even care -how- they express themselves; I care about -what- they are expressing; or for some, what they are trying to express. I am not perfect, so I wouldn't expect anyone else to be. But this internet trollage is a bane of our society. Make fun of people because it is trendy; you have no respect for the individual or the intellect.

Eh whatever.

The SpyBoxOne is going to be a hard sell. Most people that I see supporting it are ignoring most of the bad points; and using the very same attack the messenger tactics I just got done ranting about. They insult people too 'poor' to own stable internet. They attack people for being 'paranoid'. They don't even try to understand or concede any realistic concerns. The concerns are valid; ex: PRISM. timing was perfect lol

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by iwilliam

Originally posted by supremecommander
It seems like MS did everything in its power to purposely persuade people to NOT but their product. It's kind of strange to be honest

I had a smiliar thought. Doesn't seem to make sense at all. What gives? They had to know it was product suicide to implement all these features, and practically brag about the fact....

Or maybe that's what this all is-- a gullibility test. See just how far the fish are willing to swallow the hooks when they're made obvious....

No it would be ridiculous to think that (no disrespect intended)

I think that MS is (or was) convinced that they had built up enough reputation and carry enough weight to actually change the market in the manner that they are trying to do now.

They actually expect retailers to setup hardware to accommodate their DRM on second hand sales for instance next to their expectation for their customers to accept it. I think it is already bitting them in the butt and suspect they will be dropping the whole DRM method at some point. I expect the big mass to go Sony's platform even in the U.S. Everyone that is now not privvy to MS's DRM will find out the hard way aswell.

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 02:36 PM
link   
That 2001 video made me think about something. The new XBox1 looks a lot like the monolith. LMAO! ~$heopleNation

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 02:40 PM
link   
Amazon.com has suddenly closed the poll it was supposed to stay for a few more days. Damage control? Maybe after they saw Amazon the biggest online retailer being on ATS they were told to shut the poll down! One way or the other its great to see mainstream IQs believing Big brother is real!

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 04:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by FreeThinkerIdealist
But it isn't what you think. My wife and I both have pretty nice PCs, but we have been migrating back to our now very old PS3 and 360 ... because we have a child. There is just something intrinsically easier dealing with a controller, and most console games are built with pausing, easier to quick and start back up ... while when we play on our PCs, it is usually MMOs where you have to get to a safe spot or other people are depending on your assistance.

A lot of games that are made for consoles -and- PCs, the PCs get the 'port'. They are designed for a console first, with that comes a ton of bugs and performance issues (ever play GTA IV on PC and console? huge difference, poor engine optimization for the PC).

I actually don't like steam. I didn't like that Skyrim required it ... my fault, didn't pay attention to all the little crap littered across the box. My wife and I both wish we would've just got a copy for one of the consoles instead of one for each of our PCs. I also didn't like GTA IV requiring me to download and run stuff to run the game. I think it is silly DRM, when I'm an honest, paying customer, especially when I'm using activation codes. So many examples of this: Steam and Origin being the two biggest 'you have to run us, to play your games' crap.

I understand some of the reasons people dislike Steam, but personally I think it's one of the best gaming companies to have come along in a very long time. They support indie development which is huge, they're now supporting Linux, installs are a snap, there's no dvd's to manage, their sales are amazing, and so on. The lack of loaning a game to a friend is an issue (you can get around it by letting them use your steam account and playing offline though) but no one is perfect. That said, there's a totally different feel when playing a console on a giant TV. There's also the issue that a lot of people work on computers all day long, and would rather relax infront of a TV than use a computer yet again for recreation.

I think in the end there's room for all types of gaming, but there's no room for a product that does what the Xbox One does. I'm still upset at Sony revoking their Linux for the PS3 promise, I feel that a product you buy should do exactly what you want, and not secretly do what you don't want it to do (EULA's are a huge issue here). Also, once you buy it you should have the right to modify it any way you want. Microsoft is much worse on that issue than Sony.

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 04:26 PM
link   
What I see happening:

XBox One will initially sell very poorly due to everything said previously.
People will make a stand against the intrusive operating system.

As damage control, Microsoft will suddenly slash the price, and 'promise' that they've pulled back some of the more intrusive features. Due to the lower price the public will shrug their shoulders, cave in to little Timmy's pleading, and buy the console in great numbers.

Game developers will negotiate behind closed doors into XBox One only contracts, and all the more popular games will suddenly be on that console only.

Later we'll find that the intrusive features were never revoked (it was in the small print in the forty-eight page "licensing agreement" that nobody reads. Just hit "Accept" and move on with your life.), and Microsoft will issue a soft apology...

Nobody will be held responsible. No charges will be filed against Microsoft.

Damage done. Profit made. Joe Public loses a little bit more privacy.

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 04:38 PM
link   
Some of the points you make are wrong. I found this info on another site.

1. Kinect does not watch you at all times. you can turn it off entirely, or when you don't want it on through the system itself, or turning off the console.

2. Used games will work. Publishers are working on deals with used games dealers to provide incentive to sell used games. Still being worked on.

3. You DO NOT need to have your console on 24 hours a day tied to the internet to play a game. If you own the hard copy of the game you can play offline. If you RIP the game to your console you need to have online capabilities to check the authorization code to make sure the copy is legitimate.

Granted this is new information coming out, I hope to see some misconceptions cleared up.

www.reddit.com... ... es_kinect/

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 05:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by FreeThinkerIdealist

I actually don't like steam. I didn't like that Skyrim required it ... my fault, didn't pay attention to all the little crap littered across the box.

Cool story.
So, did you know that Skyrim wasn't done when they shipped it. the civil war bit was like about 85% or so done when they basically ran out of time. they totally nixed it and went from the amazing dynamic adventure where you -could lose- the war, to a static choose a side and auto-win 2 stronghold campaign.

Tons and tons of work, all to be scrapped at the last second only because they ran short on the time limit.

Not to worry though...you have the PC version. a mod is out now that puts all that back in game (the devs left -all- the character assets in game.
Get it here

And now you understand the beauty of gaming on PC. the game on any console is just that..no improvements (unless the official developers choose to). PC gaming is more than just keyboard verses gamepad..it is halfarsed game verses the multi hundred thousands of hours of user content additions. It allows for people to not just play what they love, but truly contribute to enhance the gameplay, ambiance, and overall pleasure of the games, along with fulfill the visions the developers were trying to give but stopped due to deadlines and stuff that consoles will never, ever have.

Consoles are good for -casual- gaming..kids, and that's about it. which is fine..there will always be a place for consoles. But a true gamer is a PC gamer...and that's that.

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 05:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by bigfatfurrytexan
I have a 360 in my bedroom, and my son has one in his. Neither of us are buying the xbox1. if our current consoles break, we will likely buy a used replacement until such a point as xboxlive not supporting our consoles any longer.

I also will not buy a PC with windows 8 I swear, if they don't get their crap together, i will end up a mac user.

I am not going to allow my electronics to enslave me. The spying. The prevention of watching movies at a family reunion or something. Not being able to borrow or buy games used. The OS that looks like Android and seems primed to funnel me into a marketplace as my only purchase portal.

Whats wrong with Win8?
Actually I hated it the moment I installed, mostly due to the metro screen (apps..yuck), and the no start button on the desktop
luckily there are a bajillion free downloads that simply remove the metro and re-add's the start button.
So, I see no real difference between this and 7 now. runs well enough...a few word changes, but otherwise, it really is just windows 7 with a metro screen annoyance easily defeated.

As far as the Xbox stuff...well, may I introduce you to the playstation should your 360 die out

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 05:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Aazadan

The problem with Steam is that there is seemingly no guidelines on what makes it through Greenlight. Paranautical Activity has a publisher but they're still requiring it to go through Greenlight. Unepic has been an indie darling for two years now. It is just now going through the Greenlight process. That said Yogventures doesn't even exist in any playable form yet and still it's on Steam.

Going back to Paranautical Activity. They have a publisher. Steam's reasoning for making them go through the Greenlight process is because they don't want to show favoritism to games with publishers. If that's the case why do we never see an EA game have to go through Greenlight?

This isn't to say Steam isn't great. However it's treatment of indie developers is far from ideal.

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 05:43 PM
link   
EDIT: Double post
edit on 6/16/2013 by Xcalibur254 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 05:47 PM
link   
On the topic of XB1, I think I have been most entertained by TB's videos.

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 05:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Zedux

After watching that video, I have decided not to buy another game system period. I am thinking about taking that money and either:

a) buying a municipal bond

b) buying the latest business software(spreadsheet/writing program).

c) blowing it all at a bar.

Either way, the older I get, the more ridiculous it feels to continue to play console games(aside from Dark Soul, I think Dark Souls II is going to be the last game I buy. Yes I am an elitist jerk who beat Dark Souls).

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 06:11 PM
link   

LMAO!!@The videos!

Gracias for posting

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 06:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by adjensen

Nicely lit video for having been taken in his parents' basement, though, props to him on that.

That is a horribly sexist assertion, and fairly ignorant considering the current economic situation. Then again, when it comes to ats, such bigotry is to be expected.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join