It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I Converted A Catholic To Atheism

page: 21
<< 18  19  20    22  23  24 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 09:38 PM
link   
reply to post by anthonycooper

You speak as if you have "always" had faith in yourself. I thought you just converted the other day?

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 09:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by AfterInfinity
reply to post by vethumanbeing

You have just vindicated my previous post to you. I see no point in discussing this matter any further with you when you have already made such judgments.

Judgments? You are the atheist. Are you putting me into the position of Judging (as in I CAN JUDGE YOU and you are alright with that). I havent even starting judging, never occurred to me to do so. Are you allowing this as in giving over power to me to reconstruct an idealism you seem to have missed in the equation regarding your life and its purpose?

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 09:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vethumanbeing
No, that will not do, the coined phrase of G. Gordon Liddy will not work here, as I have no idea what you are speaking of that you politely AGREE to disagree to (Liddy on the other hand is thrilled so many use his phrasiology to quell or politely settle disagreements, should have trademarked it).

You don’t seem to be doing too well, with the names on THAT list of yours, with the exception of my esteemed self of course

Do you still think he’s the Apostle Luke from a previous life lol…?

- JC

edit on 17-6-2013 by Joecroft because: (no reason given)

edit on 17-6-2013 by Joecroft because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 09:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by 3NL1GHT3N3D1

You speak as if you have "always" had faith in yourself. I thought you just converted the other day?

Might be a new Religion totally, that of 'anthonycooperism' sort of a Tammy Fay Baker meets Oral Roberts as Victims of Gods wrath, (look at their circumstances now, rags to riches back to bankruptcy) meets "Darkened Shadows" starring Johnny Depp and Frankenstein as co-creaters if a Negative so large it could change the world we live in. I can only HOPE a positive comes out of it, or a nice electrical storm.
edit on 17-6-2013 by vethumanbeing because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 09:46 PM
link   
reply to post by 3NL1GHT3N3D1

Have you never demonstrated faith in yourself? It sounds like you're deliberately misunderstanding him.

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 09:49 PM
link   
Originally posted by Joecroft

Originally posted by Vethumanbeing
No, that will not do, the coined phrase of G. Gordon Liddy will not work here, as I have no idea what you are speaking of that you politely AGREE to disagree to (Liddy on the other hand is thrilled so many use his phrasiology to quell or politely settle disagreements, should have trademarked it).

Joecroft
You don’t seem to be doing too well, with the names on THAT list of yours, with the exception of my esteemed self of course
Do you still think he’s the Apostle Luke from a previous life lol…?- JC
No, I was mistaken. AfterInfinity was Mary mother of Jesus the thirteen year old traded for land. Lots of karmic residual anger there apparently.

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 09:51 PM
link   

You just called my premise manipulative and evil and you're not judging? Yeah right.

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 09:52 PM
link   

Get back on topic before the moderators get involved.

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 09:54 PM
link   

You just called my premise manipulative and evil and you're not judging? Yeah right.

Not judging AT ALL just an observation, we are not in a court of LAW and do not accuse me of being one of the 12, The Grand Jury hasnt even conviened yet.

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 09:55 PM
link   

That wasn't an observation it was a judgement. Now get back on topic please.

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 09:55 PM
link   

Get back on topic before the moderators get involved.

You are driving this thread, you are in charge of its content; as in necessitating replies and responding to, its your deal.

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 09:58 PM
link   

Actually the moderators and administrators are more in charge of these threads than I am. I would recommend getting back on topic before one or more of them get involved. I may not have the power to curb your irrelevance, but they do.
edit on 17-6-2013 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 10:21 PM
link   

Actually the moderators and administrators are more in charge of these threads than I am. I would recommend getting back on topic before one or more of them get involved. I may not have the power to curb your irrelevance, but they do.

If it was irrelevance they would not contrive to edit me as it is "irrelevant" and does not have any consequence to this discussion at all, no threat no query no nothing, its meaningless. I suppose maybe "too many words were applied within that sentence, or gramatically incorrect". I dont know, they are creatures of unknown, remarkable and mysterious natures. It is not their thread it is yours to manage and not let get 'out of control', that is a Leadership thing, become the true and real master of this word craft (not to be dabbled in) and have an idea you can defend; is that not the point of posting a thread?

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 10:27 PM
link   

I am defending the power of self-reliance and self empowerment and the lack of need for a deity. I am defending the potential of atheism and its emotional and psychological benefits. I am defending the freedom of choice and human nature. I am defending the independence of spirit. I am sorry if you have a problem with that but it won't change how I feel about it or my pursuit of seizing the full human potential as it relates to myself. Perhaps someday you will come to recognize what I am talking about and then you will know the freedom of spiritual independence.

my friend is already well on his way to discovering potential of spiritual independence.
edit on 17-6-2013 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 10:41 PM
link   

AfterInfinity
I am defending the power of self-reliance and self empowerment and the lack of need for a deity. I am defending the potential of atheism and its emotional and psychological benefits. I am defending the freedom of choice and human nature. I am defending the independence of spirit. I am sorry if you have a problem with that but it won't change how I feel about it or my pursuit of seizing the full human potential as it relates to myself. Perhaps someday you will come to recognize what I am talking about and then you will know the freedom of spiritual independence. my friend is already well on his way to discovering potential of spiritual independence.

I am happy for your friend, perhaps your experiences together can become a worldwide movement. You dont have to defend yourself to me as I am all about self discovery and empowerment; no one needs a deity to explain you to yourself, its the other way around, God needs you to explain it to itself thats why it created you, as its parts and parcels. You deny It and so it feels the loss of you as its child. You can create all of the personal problems you feel you can take on, but thats personal to you. You do not have to defend a thing with me, as in my choices are mine and yours are yours and they do not conflict as we are NOT THE SAME in body only in spirit, I cannot will not suffer for you. You should realize your human potencial and if that means going it alone that is a brave thing. I myself do not require a God to direct me, as I am IT and so it goes; I determined that and in so proclaiming freed myself of any dictatorship. You are on a journey, Im just a bit further on that path than you may be. At least I can have knockdown dragout fights with God whereas YOU CANNOT because IT does not exist for you. You should try argueing with God, always enlightening, is that the cowards way out? Deny ITS existance and there is no reason for any debate; too easy. Oh, there is the OTHER thing. God needs you do deny itself so as to gain perspective regarding its existance or non-such; in that way it HAS TO CONTEMPLATE ITSELF INTO EXISTANCE-zzzzzzzzzzz-WITH FINALITY.

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 11:04 PM
link   
I have thought about it for several hours today.

To argue the existence of God is folly.

Neither one of us can be proven correct.

These threads usually turn into a urine height and distance competition.

We went 19 whole pages until we devolved. That's awesome by internet standards.

I really do wish you and your friend the best.

After page 19 I have seen more organization at a Monkey sh!t fight at the zoo.

I imagine we are not quite done with this little chestnut either.

I did give you a flag. You stayed around and backed it up.

posted on Jun, 18 2013 @ 09:19 AM
link   

Hi there…

I’d like to ask you a few questions regarding your journey out of theism and into atheism.

Originally posted by anthonycooper
After decades of life as a bewildered and confused religious, I'd just about given up, then I met AI.

It’s seems to me that based on the above, that your religious beliefs weren’t that solid to begin with… would that be a fair assessment to make…?

Originally posted by anthonycooper
I told him after a final hour long chat with him on the subject that I was now embracing atheism because it’s long overdue in my life after many years of research into all the other world belief systems. And it is the only logical conclusion after this research. My awareness in the matter has led me to this decision, and I believe it is the best choice for me.

If you have any questions, please keep them simple and I will be happy to answer as well as I am able.

What were the key elements or deciding factors, in you letting go of your past beliefs and embracing atheism…?

And when I say “key elements”, I’m talking about the big turning points, that made/helped you change your mind etc…

And how can you be so sure from your research, that all other religious paths and belief systems, are all wrong…?

AfterInfinity stated this below in the OP, regarding yourself…

"I don't believe in a god...but I do believe in an afterlife. Is that a problem?"

"Atheism is defined as lack of belief in any deity. That's as far as the term goes."

Well, I guess that's alright. I suppose I'm an atheist then. I do believe in all of that mysticism stuff, but I can't reconcile myself with a deity." So there you have it.

What/Which mysticism stuff, do you believe in…?

But more importantly, than all the questions above;

How can you believe in an “after life”, but not in a God…? How does that work exactly…?

If there is an after life, then surely there must be something regulating it, and/or have created it. And whatever has the power to do that, could also have the power to create us. And the only thing which fits those 2 descriptions, is a “God” of some type, definition, or other…

Last question…Are you still an Atheist…?

- JC

posted on Jun, 18 2013 @ 09:56 AM
link   

This just takes the cake. Well done AfterInfinity.

You know what? You don't have to like me, or respect me. You ALSO don't have to like it if other people turn away from a religion that DOES NOT WORK FOR THEM, but you have NO RIGHT to judge ANYONE for making their choices after concentration, thoughtful self-inquiry, and weighing of options.

But maybe you would begrudge ANYONE the right to have THOUGHTS independent of some religious packaged dogma.

edit on 18-6-2013 by wildtimes because: The host is correct. Thanks, AI.

posted on Jun, 18 2013 @ 10:11 AM
link   
reply to post by wildtimes

You may want to edit that post and chill out. I do agree with everything you are saying, but the moderators may not take it so lightly.

on a related note: you go girl!

edit on 18-6-2013 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2013 @ 10:16 AM
link   

Do you mean to say that I do not have to defend myself even as you attack, degrade, slander and otherwise trash talk my promise. Sure I'll just let you walk all over me with your nonsense and unfounded allegations.

top topics

<< 18  19  20    22  23  24 >>

join