It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I Converted A Catholic To Atheism

page: 20
<< 17  18  19    21  22  23 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 08:09 PM
link   
reply to post by vethumanbeing

Four words: faith in the self. Atheism is simply a redirection of faith, faith in that which is known. At least my atheism.
edit on 17-6-2013 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 08:14 PM
link   
reply to post by whyamIhere

Yes I think we can agree on that. I do, however, have a number of good reasons to hold the suspicions I do. The same goes for my friend who is currently sitting right next to me.

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 08:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by AfterInfinity

Four words: faith in the self. Atheism is simply a redirection of faith, face in that which is known. At least my atheism.

Which post are you avoiding, I asked you to quote me and you bundle a thoughform that I refuse to respond to without specifics. In your generality, I will say this: The Self Is Nothing Without an idea that something created IT/YOU greater than yourself (unless you know something I do not). You had two parents, you are the sum of their parts. Atheism is a quasi sort of transendental self realisation. It puts the Ego first, the IAM first. Nothing wrong with that; here is my thought, why cannot all belief systems exist together as a sort of LaBea tar pit, go take a look pay the admission and avoid the (if you fall in) messiness of it all. Where does reason come in, belief systems are by their nature FLAWED, someone other than you created them, including your own. You did not invent this system of ideology, yet you follow it just as Chrixtianers follow theirs.
edit on 17-6-2013 by vethumanbeing because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 08:20 PM
link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity

"Hi, AfterInfinity's friend!" Way to go, you!!!

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 08:31 PM
link   
reply to post by wildtimes

You also have the option of responding directly to Anthony Coopers post. After all he does possess his own account.

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 08:33 PM
link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity

Is AnthonyCooper his username?
Sorry, didn't see that handle.

EDIT: Okay, Wow! Now I see it. Cool.

Hi, Anthony Cooper!

edit on 17-6-2013 by wildtimes because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 08:35 PM
link   

I will politely agree to disagree.

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 08:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by BenReclused
reply to post by colbe

Everything points to a creator, look how complicated 99.8% of creation is, the universe didn't just happen. And then what? Who keeps it running? Creation, the universe runs by itself....right.

Yep! "Creation" is far too "complicated" for us to determine, at this time, how and why "it" all began. That's why your "simple solution" REQUIRES FAITH.

I've shared my conversion/reversion came about because of prophecy, also called "private revelation" so I have a strong faith.

I haven't had a "conversion/reversion", or a "private revelation", yet. That might be why I don't have any faith in the idea that a "God", of your definition, exists.

What made you feel that YOUR "private revelation" should also be mine?

All of prophecy, Catholic, Protestant and Orthodox keeps shouting out to everyone, time is short, look toward Jesus, find Him if you haven't, get your soul right with God.

Not quite. Only the people that BELIEVE in a particular "prophecy" shout.

Have you ever heard:
"To thine own self, be true"

I'm not willing to violate that, at your discretion.

Atheism, to me is so lonely, who could stand it?

I wouldn't know. I'm NOT an atheist. Maybe, that's why so many atheists want to "shut down" the competition.

God bless you

Thank you! I may not have "THE FAITH", but I DO HAVE SOME HOPE.

colbe, you are not the presupposer to take on the yolk of the 'only the lonely', thats for the Atheists, their mantle: to hand out at soup kitchens, hand warmers, mealy grewel, that could be used as soap: blankets (stenciled on the back, Come hither to Athiesm, we have a better soup kitchen with gourmet creations ACROSS THE STREET around the corner down the hill left fork in the road apprx. 74 miles). I agree with BenReclused--there is HOPE , you have to SEEK and desire it to freeform itself into your lifestate. HOPE is not a negative; it embodies everything wished for; loved ones, oneself, IT is the countermand and adjutant to LOVE. It is a creative positive force.

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 08:47 PM
link   

I will politely agree to disagree.

No, that will not do, the coined phrase of G. Gordon Liddy will not work here, as I have no idea what you are speaking of that you politely AGREE to disagree to (Liddy on the other hand is thrilled so many use his phrasiology to quell or politely settle disagreements, should have trademarked it).

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 08:57 PM
link   

You disagree with my beliefs and I have no desire to justify myself to you because I know that I can't. No matter what explanation I give you will not be satisfied unless I agree with everything you say. That is why I aam agreeing to disagree.

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 09:00 PM
link   

afterinfinity[i/]
You disagree with my beliefs and I have no desire to justify myself to you because I know that I can't. No matter what explanation I give you will not be satisfied unless I agree with everything you say. That is why I aam agreeing to disagree.

I never said I disagreed with anything you have said, where did you get that idea? There is a difference between disagreement and disbelief.

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 09:06 PM
link   

Your first post on this page was both aggressive and disagreeable. I do not see us reaching an agreement anytime soon. You have far too many contentions that I will not be able to answer to your satisfaction.

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 09:07 PM
link   
You all have probably seen this video, but I think it suits the thread quite well to those lurkers who haven't seen it. It's an interesting look at the history of atheism (disbelief).

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 09:09 PM
link   
reply to post by LesMisanthrope

I am on my phone at the moment. I won't be able to view or comment on the videos until tomorrow. I do find it amusing that 3 hours worth of video is described as a brief history...

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 09:21 PM
link   
reply to post by BenReclused

Hell, that sounds more like a lesson in self reliance, than it does a conversion to atheism! Does he now claim there is no God, because he no longer has a belief in one? That's what REAL atheists tend to do!

it is not self reliance regardless of god or no god, it is self reliance BECAUSE of no god. it is faith in myself, in what i know. i have always gotten better results that way.

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 09:24 PM
link   

Is AnthonyCooper his username? Sorry, didn't see that handle. EDIT: Okay, Wow! Now I see it. Cool. Hi, Anthony Cooper!

hello to you too! AI has spoken well of you. Nice to finally meet such a wonderful person.

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 09:27 PM
link   

Your first post on this page was both aggressive and disagreeable. I do not see us reaching an agreement anytime soon. You have far too many contentions that I will not be able to answer to your satisfaction,

On 'this page' or the first post to the thread? I see your opening statement premise as presupposing, manipulative and evil (the causation of a weak minded individual to conform to your doctrines that you are just following, and did not INVENT). Id like some history regarding your faith, its authors. Contentions are merely requests for answers. My satisfaction has no thing do do with anything, Im just an observer with questions.

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 09:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by anthonycooper

Is AnthonyCooper his username? Sorry, didn't see that handle. EDIT: Okay, Wow! Now I see it. Cool. Hi, Anthony Cooper!

hello to you too! AI has spoken well of you. Nice to finally meet such a wonderful person.

This just takes the cake. Well done AfterInfinity.

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 09:30 PM
link   

You have just vindicated my previous post to you. I see no point in discussing this matter any further with you when you have already made such judgments.

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 09:34 PM
link   

What do you mean? Do you think I am somehow controlling his posts?

top topics

<< 17  18  19    21  22  23 >>

join