It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Walmart Treating Their Employees Even Worse

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 07:13 PM
link   
reply to post by olaru12

Walmart will eventually unionize...it's just a matter of time.

Enjoy your weekend.....Thank the unions!!

Not a chance!

The reason Walmart is the largest corporation in the world is because it doesn't allow it's employees to form a union. Unions kill profits and productivity everywhere they exist. Those of you who believe companies owe you any more than a paycheck are sadly mistaken. It's not unreasonable to seek and ask for certain benefits you think are adequate. It is, however, unreasonable to demand certain benefits you think are adequate.

If you want to call the shots and decide your own compensation then open your own damn business and take risks with your own money. Until you do, those decisions aren't up to you!!

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 07:30 PM
link   
It is so hard not to avoid having an opinion about Walmart. They have tons of bad press and elements that want to expose them for many unfair things they apparently do.

I live somewhere urban but with few Walmarts (even now) and my first experience was at Yosemite, CA about 10 years ago I met a man from Kansas who was a climber and after a few days at this campground we discussed many personal things but he kept avoiding the question of what he did for a living. After 3 days and more than a few beers I managed to pry out that he was customer support for Walmart. He hated his job and admitting that's what he did. He wouldn't tell me much more really, other that he REALLY hated it.

I can fully understand the temp hire position of this huge company. It seems to be a huge trend in all the larger industries. But I can only say from exp for ms, cingular and google in the contract field... they are all outsourcing jobs overseas now (have been since WTO, mostly china and india). I make less now now then I did 14 years ago, doing 3x the work for the same exact pay I began at! My coworkers now are all half my age fresh out of college.

I'm concerned capitolism might now be working well as it was, possibly it doesn't end well at all.

Sorry for ranting, it's a good thread and don't want to go off topic.... kudos, please continue

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 07:39 PM
link   
This reminds me of the reason I stay away from the "wallmarts" as my girlfriend calls it... We occasionally visit to people watch, some strange folk down here in the south.

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 07:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by seabag

If you want to call the shots and decide your own compensation then open your own damn business and take risks with your own money. Until you do, those decisions aren't up to you!!

Thanks for the opportunity to toot my own horn. Besides my union gigs, Actually I do have my own DAMN business; 3 LLCs and hire a total of 12 people in a retail store, a flyfishing guide and outfitting service and a small movie production company. And by God the decisions are up to me and I make them and I'm not ashamed to admit I have made and lost fortunes thru bad business practices but in the true entrepreneurial spirit, I bounce back. Also in my union gigs I am in the position to make decisions; being a skilled, knowledgeable and valued team player.

And FYI, I treat my people much better than any Chinese importing walmart. I patronize local mom and pop stores and restaurants, and encourage my people to do the same, even if it cost a bit more. There is still honor in America; where as Walmart lost theirs when they claimed American made and were caught lying!!!

www.alternet.org...'s_made-in-america_lie

Be advised, no dittoheads need apply.....
Welcome to Walmart; it's a state of mind....

edit on 14-6-2013 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 08:51 PM
link   
reply to post by olaru12

Thanks for the opportunity to toot my own horn. Besides my union gigs, Actually I do have my own DAMN business; 3 LLCs and hire a total of 12 people in a retail store, a flyfishing guide and outfitting service and a small movie production company.

That's outstanding. Please explain how well your business would fare if your 12 employees formed a union and demanded $25 per hour, full medical benefits, 4 weeks vacation, 401k and 35 hour work week?

And by God the decisions are up to me and I make them and I'm not ashamed to admit I have made and lost fortunes thru bad business practices but in the true entrepreneurial spirit, I bounce back. Also in my union gigs I am in the position to make decisions; being a skilled, knowledgeable and valued team player.

In the businesses you own and operate you're entitled to make ALL of the decisions including the compensation of your employees. As a union leader you have NO RIGHT to tell a company what compensation it must provide because in that capacity you are simply an employee. That was my only point.

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 09:12 PM
link   

reply to post by olaru12

Thanks for the opportunity to toot my own horn. Besides my union gigs, Actually I do have my own DAMN business; 3 LLCs and hire a total of 12 people in a retail store, a flyfishing guide and outfitting service and a small movie production company.

That's outstanding. Please explain how well your business would fare if your 12 employees formed a union and demanded $25 per hour, full medical benefits, 4 weeks vacation, 401k and 35 hour work week?

I don't care if they want to form their own union. My books are open, they know what my bottom line is and they are loyal to me as I am to them. My businesses are a team effort. You don't need to abuse your employees like Walmart does. My people are like family to me and we share in each others accomplishments and downfalls. I want to make a profit like any small business man to keep the doors open but not at the expense of screwing my employees around. Like I said, there is still HONOR in American capitalism even if the mega corporate fascists don't or won't recognize it. I have no respect what so ever for the corporate model of profit over people with the CEO making imo obscene salary's and bonus packages while the workers are constantly threatened with outsourcing, termination and layoffs if they don't kiss the corporate butt.

I often work for Sony pictures or Disney. I see how they operate in an atmosphere of fear.
edit on 14-6-2013 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 09:27 PM
link   
reply to post by olaru12

Amen brother!

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 10:33 PM
link   

Please explain how well your business would fare if your 12 employees formed a union and demanded $25 per hour, full medical benefits, 4 weeks vacation, 401k and 35 hour work week?
That's a straw man argument. The simple fact is that any company that is unionised has brought it on itself.
edit on 14-6-2013 by JohnnyCanuck because: ...just because, eh?

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 10:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by PrincessTofu
Since Walmart first wormed its way into our neighborhoods with its 'Made in the US' promise back in the early 90's, it's done much to fatten its wallet and treat workers like disposable garbage.

Also, I can't for the life of me find one american made item in my local Walmart.

They refuse to hire full-time workers. If you need health insurance, Walmart wil never grant you enough hours to earn it. Here is their latest loophole to avoid doing so:

Walmart's Everyday Hiring Strategy: Add More Temps.

The new hiring policy is to ensure "we are staffed appropriately," when the stores are busiest and is not a cost-cutting move, said company spokesman David Tovar. Temporary workers, he said, are paid the same starting pay as other workers.

Wal-Mart already has begun to change the healthcare plans it provides workers. Last November, it said that newly hired part-time employees would have to work a minimum of 30 hours a week, up from 24 hours previously, before they can qualify for health coverage.

So they never have to pay above starting pay, never have to offer medical benefits. Pretty underhanded.
edit on 13-6-2013 by PrincessTofu because: (no reason given)

They will never let an employee work enough hours to qualify for medical benefits. 'Made in the US', my batooty.

Unless recycling starting wage employess is something the US endorses.

s**t like this is why i boycotted Walmart over a decade ago..

if you've ever seen the documentary "walmart, the high cost of low prices", it gives you a taste of what kind of absolutely diabolical crap that company is into, and up to...chinese sweat shops, absolutely horrible treatment of american employees, and, i s**t you not, an anti-union response team, that is on call 24 hours a day, has their own jet, and can be at ANY store within 24 hours, playing propaganda about how unions are bad, and take away your rights, if they even SUSPECT employes are discussing organizing.....

i've seen reports of walmart locking employees in the stores overnight, to force them to work, not paying earned OT..all kinds of utterly unacceptable crap....

screw walmart...once i found out what they were up to, i immediately stopped going to their stores, and absolutely refuse to set foot in one..

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 10:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tlexlapoca
reply to post by PrincessTofu

no full-time yet rent is very expensive forcing people to get 2 or 3 part-time jobs 7 days a week getting almost no rest and no promotion, but the bills keep getting higher

oh, but isn't that the new american dream? a zombified, corporate-owned debt slave?

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 10:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dominar

Well, if Walmart made a REAL big effort to sell products manufacture in America and if they made more full time positions available with benefits, then I wouldn't see so much of a problem with them.

There is this from their website also, Walmart/News

Walmart and Sam’s Club will buy an additional $50 billion in U.S. products over the next 10 years. The company will grow U.S. manufacturing on two fronts: by increasing what it already buys here ... and by helping to onshore U.S. production in high potential areas like textiles, furniture and higher-end appliances.

i'll believe that, when me s**t turns purple, and smells like rainbow sherbert...

if they really cared about helping the american economy, and american workers, they wouldn't be pulling the garbage they are now...they are like the poster child for greedy retail corporations..

i really have nothing but disgust for walmart, and that little blurb from their news section is a bunch of bunk..
edit on 14-6-2013 by Daedalus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 10:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sankari

Originally posted by ezekielken
Especially when the economy is experiencing its highest unemployment rate.

Not true. The highest unemployment rate was 10.3, in 1983.

Under Reagan...

oh...you again...

As usual, you're wrong.

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 10:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Connman

Yes I know exactly what this thread is about and WalMart is not the only Company taking advantage of working part time employees rather then full time.
And Walmart is part of keeping Life Flight going so it's more then a few dollars and more then they need to do as well.

yes, but this thread is about walmart, and THEIR wrongdoing......it's not about other companies, just this one....and so they they did ONE good thing....one...

why don't you go read up on what they're all about..you'll likely feel less warm and fuzzy about that one good thing they did that you seem to think makes them ok..

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 11:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by pyramidikal
Thanks to the love of money, the world will turn into the movie Wall-E, if wal mart has anything to say about it. I'm a fan of capitalism, free trade, open markets, but when it comes to treating employees like numbers and not like people, when it comes to knowingly selling rat-poison dog food and dog treats, when it comes to monopolizing and destroying the local economy by buying from the Chinese and and never buying American products, the result is evidence of evil, the love of money over anything else. Sadly the average consumer is similar to the humans in the movie Wall-E, I go to Wal-Mart when I want to feel good about myself, but I don't go there to shop, and if I am forced to shop there I never have a cart or hand cart, always empty handed forcing myself to buy as little as possible, but I usually only go there to rent from redbox, so at least I admit occasionally buying something but I try to support the smaller higher quality markets.

lol, take a look at the movie "idiocracy"...THAT'S where we're going...

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 11:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by lonewolf19792000
reply to post by shaneslaughta

I agree, i cant find anything american made walmart. It has destroyed our economy, we should be supporting mom and pops stores and small business.....lets starve out wally world and costco and all these major retailers.

Theyre importing everything from China now. Not joking dude i picked up a bottle of strawberry jam that was made in China. Start learning to speak chinese and mandarin. All these chinese retaurants we have where the chinese people working in them can't speak a lick of english should tell us all something. Immigrants aren't learning english because this country is about to belong to foreigners if it doesn't already.

just as a point of specificity.....

Mandarin is a dialect of the Chinese language, as is Cantonese....so you would have been more correct saying "learn to speak Chinese", or "Learn to speak Mandarin, and Cantonese"

....and so ends the educational bit of the thread

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 11:09 PM
link   

They refuse to hire full-time workers. If you need health insurance, Walmart wil never grant you enough hours to earn it.

I think you misrepresented Walmart's position. They do have full time employees. They're simply looking at ways to staff the peak hours without wasting a bunch on man hours. Most businesses seek to do that.

And as far as cutting hours to avoid paying healthcare, MOST large, medium and small companies will be doing that soon. That's not an attempt to screw employees; it's an attempt to stay in business.

It's easy for people with very little business knowledge to play armchair quarterback and make assumptions. The fact of the matter is that companies are cutting back and looking for ways to absorb the cost of Obamacare. If you don't like the necessary measures then take it up with Obama!!

the thing about walmart is that they've been doing it for a long time...they have a long, and documented history of underhanded business practices, and make no mistake, they ARE out to screw the employees...they were pulling this crap WAY before there was anything even remotely resembling a reason to do so....

i usually agree with you on most things, but in this case, you couldn't be more wrong..

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 11:13 PM
link   
Walmart is this time periods sweat shop.One can add others with equally vile business practices like McDonald's etc,

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 06:06 AM
link   
And yet MILLIONS of you spend your dollars in Wallmart.

Why does this mega-mart still exist? Because you let it.

I dare anybody in fact I triple dog dare you to not buy anything from a "mega-mart" for the next 12 months. You will prolly die of starvation because FOOD IS EXPENSIVE FOR SOME F***ING REASON.

If your last resort is working at a Wallmart maybe you should gain some life skills and work skills like trades learn to either fix s#!t, built s#!t or cook s#it, you will always have a place to work!!!

/End Rant.

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 06:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Daedalus

Well this thread is actually about the cutting people to under 30 hours and hiring more part time to fill the gaps. Not about all of Walmarts bad doings again I blame the Government for and allowing it to be able to happen.
And sorry I mentioned this is not the only company doing it although it is true but oh that evil Walmart is to be singled out.

Walmart is here to stay and most people shop there very very few don't. Until the Government fixes the economy and work laws there isn't much to stop a business oops Walmart from taking what they can do legally and making the company profits.
Besides thought Obama was supposed to be passing some type thing on this very matter a while back making 30 hour work weeks full time employment.

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 06:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by PrincessTofu
reply to post by MindpurelyMind

That is sad. That's terrible. Every dedicated, hard-worker deserves medical benefits. She's getting colds while busting her booty to generate business for that company... she deserves to have medical treatment.

Welcome to the new America, where contracted employees, aka slaves with no benefits, no vacation days, anything, are hired, treated like trash (because temp employees have no rights, period), and then tossed away like garbage when their usefulness has past.

This country is becoming an abomination.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join